Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Insein

*Official 2015 Philadelphia Eagles* - Winning when it doesnt count

I'm done with Chip if he moves Foles and the Eagles end up with Kap or Mariota.

And this is coming from someone who loves what Chip's doing so far(hate the Gore signing though).

If you are against signing Kaepernick, please explain why he wouldn't run this offense any better than Wilson, Griffin or Mariota?

what chip wants more than anything out his qb is decisive, swift, and consistent decision making paired with reliable accuracy.

kaep is prone to being hasty and having questionable accuracy mid to deep field.

he's not particularly close to wilson or mariota, and while he'll have some gaudy rushing stats behind this oline he won't be a significant upgrade to foles while costing a ton more.

frankly this whole free agency for philly went from "exciting and promising" after the alonso trade to "sketchy at best, trainwreck at worst" reeeeally quickly.

letting maclin walk was the right move, he's overrated and now waaay over priced. and the fact that he went to a team with zero wr tds last year shows how bright he is.

that said i think they are still in deep #### in the secondary. the maxwell signing is decent if it's 10mil, troublesom if it's 12+. they still need1 or preferably 2 corners and a safety.

signing gore is fine for his locker room presence and work ethic, but they paid him way too much in a draft class that's full of underrated talent like ameer abdullah who i was reeeeeeally hoping they would take in the second round.

the only moves left i think could really point in the right direction (aside from signing another corner which they will maybe house from gb) is to trade for kenny vaccaro, settle for the underrated bret hundley instead of overpaying for mariota/kaepernick, and get DGB and/or ameer abdullah in the draft. (or a saftey i guess but i don't think they're in position for it)

i'm a huge chip kelly fanboy, but at this point i'm very worried that chip is overconfident, not as strong an nfl talent evaluater as he thinks he might be, and is gonna go down in quicksand pit full of josh huffs. last year's draft was already sketchy as hell, and i'm not seeing a lot strides being taken toward looking toward building a deep and complete roster

i wanted to see chip succeed, but as of now i envision going into the 2016 season rooting for trestman to turn around tampa/tennessee or w/e while chip takes over the florida gators or some ####

@VibeBox I can easily understand your points. This is mine. I don't think Chip had much control over personnel the last couple years. That was understandable as he was relieving one of the all time greats in Andy Reid. In 2013 this team had purpose, desire and played like an under dog. In 2014 the team seemed out of sorts. I can't blame any one player because this seemed like a struggle with the brass.

That is settled now. There is a camp that wants this whole thing to fail but the only thing I am reminded of is the Donovan McNabb draft pick. Reid got his guy because when Reid took over we had an early draft pick. The same could be said for Chip and he drafted Lane Johnson. A great pick IMO.

The reality is we all knew Foles wasn't Chip's guy before 2013 began. But he had that awesome season in relief of Vick. We are stuck in a hard position at QB leading into 2014. Now Foles came back down to earth. I like Foles in ways you guys will never know (no homo) but we got to see enough of Foles to honestly know he is not the man for this scheme. Sure Lurie could force Kelly to use Foles but Lurie is much smarter than that. Why hire Kelly if you are not willing to get the full Kelly experience.

Now I know some of you guys are saying Kelly should adapt to Foles instead of the other way around. If that was the case then why fire Reid? Reid drafted Jackson, Maclin, McCoy and Foles. Great players, but also great at a 4 win season.

I don't understand why Eagles fans are letting Reid off with this crap. When Reid drafted Jackson this team was on a rise. By the time Foles got here it was complete crap.

Lets say Kelly sells out and drafts Mariota. At this point in free agency Kelly has at least positioned this team to remain competitive for another 2 seasons.

The truth is Kelly will not sacrifice the draft for one player. Kelly is doing everything he can to land MM but only on his terms.

Its time Philly to leave this Reid mentality behind and embrace what will bring a Lombardi Trophy to this city.

Kaepernick is just a flat out inaccurate passer and not exactly the smartest decision maker.

He's no Sanchez.

@VibeBox I can easily understand your points. This is mine. I don't think Chip had much control over personnel the last couple years. That was understandable as he was relieving one of the all time greats in Andy Reid. In 2013 this team had purpose, desire and played like an under dog. In 2014 the team seemed out of sorts. I can't blame any one player because this seemed like a struggle with the brass.

That is settled now. There is a camp that wants this whole thing to fail but the only thing I am reminded of is the Donovan McNabb draft pick. Reid got his guy because when Reid took over we had an early draft pick. The same could be said for Chip and he drafted Lane Johnson. A great pick IMO.

The reality is we all knew Foles wasn't Chip's guy before 2013 began. But he had that awesome season in relief of Vick. We are stuck in a hard position at QB leading into 2014. Now Foles came back down to earth. I like Foles in ways you guys will never know (no homo) but we got to see enough of Foles to honestly know he is not the man for this scheme. Sure Lurie could force Kelly to use Foles but Lurie is much smarter than that. Why hire Kelly if you are not willing to get the full Kelly experience.

Now I know some of you guys are saying Kelly should adapt to Foles instead of the other way around. If that was the case then why fire Reid? Reid drafted Jackson, Maclin, McCoy and Foles. Great players, but also great at a 4 win season.

I don't understand why Eagles fans are letting Reid off with this crap. When Reid drafted Jackson this team was on a rise. By the time Foles got here it was complete crap.

Lets say Kelly sells out and drafts Mariota. At this point in free agency Kelly has at least positioned this team to remain competitive for another 2 seasons.

The truth is Kelly will not sacrifice the draft for one player. Kelly is doing everything he can to land MM but only on his terms.

Its time Philly to leave this Reid mentality behind and embrace what will bring a Lombardi Trophy to this city.

When has moving MULTIPLE high picks to draft a QB landed a team with a Lombardi?

he won't be a significant upgrade to foles while costing a ton more.

This is the Eagles' last season with Foles on a cheap contract. Next year he'll be gone with a big free agent deal.

When has moving MULTIPLE high picks to draft a QB landed a team with a Lombardi?

Eli Manning. Two of them.

The New York Giants received:

Eli Manning, QB

The San Diego Chargers received:

Philip Rivers, QB

2004 3rd-round pick (Nate Kaeding, PK)

2005 1st-round pick (Shawne Merriman, OLB)

2005 5th-round pick (traded to TB for Roman Oben, OT)

At this point in free agency Kelly has at least positioned this team to remain competitive for another 2 seasons.

they'll only be able to be competitive if they build a secondary from scratch, which is no small task given the best FAs are off the market.

i'm also growing skeptical of his ability to eval talent on an nfl level. i agree with his mentality that production can be manufactured with scheme if you have just mediocre nfl talent, but i increasingly fear that guys he think are gonna be "average" like huff and a 32 yo gore are actually gonna turn out below average.

the second part i wish were true, but i'm increasingly afraid given recent moves that they're gonna end up overpaying for either mariota or kaepernick and it's gonna cost them big time

Eli Manning, QB

Philip Rivers, QB

if they could get some kind of reasonable deal like this done of

foles

1st

1st/a 3rd and 4th

for mariota

that would be fine, i'm just getting scared it's gonna be more

he won't be a significant upgrade to foles while costing a ton more.

This is the Eagles' last season with Foles on a cheap contract. Next year he'll be gone with a big free agent deal.

that's a fair point, but it's not like he was ever gonna sign an extension in philly

it's more an issue of overpaying for mariota/kaepernick or having the wisdom to settle for a more reasonable option like hundley or 1year of foles+future qb

Eli Manning, QB

Philip Rivers, QB

Seriously? ELi didn't carry those teams for one. For another, the Giants didn't give up anything remotely close to what Mariota would cost. Making matters worse, Rivers has had a pretty decent career, some might even say he's Eli's equivalent at the worst. Was it worth giving up an extra 1, a 3 and a 5 for a player that isn't much better, if at all?

Anyway we can give the salary cap nerd roster control back? Just kidding.......kind of.

@JaysonBraddock 2m

The Eagles are confirmed as one of the two teams in talks and an unnamed NFC team as the other. (Colin Kaepernick trade)

Its Missanellis dream come true.

I hope we get Kaepernick. Besides Wilson he is the only other QB of that style I would want that is currently in the NFL. If this happens and we sign Worilds plus draft best player available. We are legitimate contenders in 2015. I know I am in the minority when I say this but when the Eagles signed Gore I put them in a win now mentality, even if they draft Mariota.

If you are against signing Kaepernick, please explain why he wouldn't run this offense any better than Wilson, Griffin or Mariota?

He wouldn't run this offense better than Foles because he can't make the right decisions when he needs to.

Eli Manning, QB

Philip Rivers, QB

And that still took an amazing defensive line mostly drafted 4 years after he was and a miraculous helmet catch to get it done.

Ugh, I HATE Kaepernick, so I hope you guys get him and not my Bears. ;)

In all seriousness though, I'm really not seeing what is wrong with rolling with Foles this year. You have a ton of problems, QB ain't one of them, IMO.

Ugh, I HATE Kaepernick, so I hope you guys get him and not my Bears. ;)

In all seriousness though, I'm really not seeing what is wrong with rolling with Foles this year. You have a ton of problems, QB ain't one of them, IMO.

I agree, at this point keep Foles. We've gutted the roster of a lot of talent, do we need to give away our future drafts too.

seems like a thing to do to a winning team who already was doing well on defense is get rid of McCoy, Jackson, Maclin and possible Foles but sign Gore and Sanchez. that is what I call paths to success. at least the added to the defense they will need it since they will be on the field a lot since the Eagles will go 3 and out in 13 seconds a drive.

so in the past yr they cut, traded and let go their best 3 offensive weapons while dangling their somewhat proven QB plus future 1sts for a top 5 pick... good luck Eagle fans; if this doesn't work your in the hole for yrs while Chip goes to the bank.

not really digging all these changes. i agree with the above poster in thinking that if this doesnt work out we are ####ed for years with what kelly is doing....thought for sure we would have kept Maclin

I hope we get Kaepernick. Besides Wilson he is the only other QB of that style I would want that is currently in the NFL. If this happens and we sign Worilds plus draft best player available. We are legitimate contenders in 2015. I know I am in the minority when I say this but when the Eagles signed Gore I put them in a win now mentality, even if they draft Mariota.

I will answer with Chip Kelly's own words "Repetitive accuracy"

Not really sure what options remain at WR for the Eagles. Torry Smith is intriguing. Crabtree is steady, but is hurt a lot. Not sure how either of them fit in the offense though. :rolleyes:

i like foles more than Kap. if we get Kap, it better b for peanuts

If both Foles and Kaepernick were on the block, I'll bet Foles pulls down the better draft pick.

Not really sure what options remain at WR for the Eagles. Torry Smith is intriguing. Crabtree is steady, but is hurt a lot. Not sure how either of them fit in the offense though. :rolleyes:

I'm pretty sure Torrey Smith has a deal in place with SF.

I'm pretty sure Torrey Smith has a deal in place with SF.

OK. Last I heard, he just said he wasn't re-signing with Balt.

You have what, a 45 man roster on game day? Dealing 5-6 guys for a chance at one is a bad move. Look at how mad our 2012 and 2013 drafts set up back, why would se do this again?

The chances of Kap coming here are worse than Mariota's IMO- You can run all you want but you have to be able to throw it and Kap cant

I'll start getting freaked if Kaep ends up in philly. I am on the side of Foles is good and last year was a lot of OL and injuries that brought his back to earth.

I don't think jettisoning 3 top playmakers and then trading away the next few drafts can be someone's plan, right??????

If we trade for Kaepernick, I'll probably kick my dog and start watching soccer.

Feeling both nervous and curious as to what Chip's plans at the WR position are now. Smith is apparently off the market. Crabtree doesn't interest me. Andre Johnson? Meh. The draft is loaded with big receivers, but none for us if we're going after MM. How about RFA Andre Holmes? Oakland put lowest tender on him, won't cost a pick if not matched.

The funny thing here is, this is almost carbon copy the moves Reid made early in his Eagles tenure:

* Getting 'his' QB in the draft despite popular opinion. Worked out with Reid as McNabb was the best QB in franchise history. Remains to be seen with Kelly.

* Thought 'their system' didn't need quality WR. Fans suffered through the Pinkston and Thrash and now they'll suffer through Cooper and Matthews.

* Who needs to run the ball? Fans suffered a lot until Westbrook came aboard. Fans are going to miss McCoy, although I get why he was expendable.

@GeoffMosherCSN: RT @JohnMiddlekauff: Talked to multiple people - Kaepernick rumor is totally false. Twitter gives random people 15 minutes of fame I guess

@AdamSchefter: Well-placed 49ers official on report that SF is seeking to trade QB Colin Kaepernick: "Totally false. 0% truth."

Willis is only 30. He has fuel left in the tank.

I knew this had to be it when we didn't franchise him:

@SheilKapadia: Per @AdamSchefter on SportsCenter, Chiefs will play Maclin in the vicinity of $11M per season.

I knew this had to be it when we didn't franchise him:

@SheilKapadia: Per @AdamSchefter on SportsCenter, Chiefs will play Maclin in the vicinity of $11M per season.

Good for Mac. He can enjoy 950yds and 2 TDs a year with a fat paycheck. Guy bet on himself and won. Now he just has to suffer through KC for 3-4 years to earn it.

The funny thing here is, this is almost carbon copy the moves Reid made early in his Eagles tenure:

* Getting 'his' QB in the draft despite popular opinion. Worked out with Reid as McNabb was the best QB in franchise history. Remains to be seen with Kelly.

* Thought 'their system' didn't need quality WR. Fans suffered through the Pinkston and Thrash and now they'll suffer through Cooper and Matthews.

* Who needs to run the ball? Fans suffered a lot until Westbrook came aboard. Fans are going to miss McCoy, although I get why he was expendable.

Your right, except for the RB thing. Staley was decent and Buckhalter was a decent back-up. The Eagles went to two NFC championship games before Westbrook. In fact, I still

maintain that if Buckhalter hadn't gotten hurt in the 2001 NFC Championship game they win that game. he had 50 yards on 6 carries in the first half. Oh well, as an Eagles fan

I am always left with "what could have been...."

Feeling both nervous and curious as to what Chip's plans at the WR position are now. Smith is apparently off the market. Crabtree doesn't interest me. Andre Johnson? Meh. The draft is loaded with big receivers, but none for us if we're going after MM. How about RFA Andre Holmes? Oakland put lowest tender on him, won't cost a pick if not matched.

I could see someone like Hakeem Nicks being picked up and doing well or Eddie Royal, obviously no sure things but somepossibilities.

Has there been any opinion on signing Crabtree. I'd have to think at 27 years old he's got a real good chance to resurrect his career and Philly or Carolina would seem like great places to do that.

I'm on board with adding a veteran WR like that

um, they're one of the most run heavy teams in the league and that isn't gonna change. ditching mccoy isn't about "choosing not to run" it's about cap cost and positional replacability.

starting to get a Steve Spurrier vibe

laziest analysis. been screeched by half assed observers from day one, and they're comin out the woodwork to sling it again.

i'm worried he's making mistakes too but try actually analyzing them on their own merits instead of falling back on canned knocks

What do we know about Chip Kelly? He believes in himself and he believes in his system.

Does he have reason for that? Yes, in that he has been very successful in the college game and has gone 10-6 in first two years in the NFL.

Based on what has been happening with the offensive skill positions, he obviously believes that his system gives him an advantage that he does not need great players at every position, he needs system guys who know what their job is on every play and execute it the way its supposed to be executed.

New England has this advantage with Tom Brady. He runs that offense so well that he does not need offensive stars around him, he just needs guys who know their jobs and do them competently.

It looks like we are about to find out if Chip Kelly can coach offense as well as Tom Brady plays QB. If Kelly succeeds, the Eagles will be good for a long time. If he fails, they will probably flame out spectacularly and the Eagles will get to start anew in two years.

I understand where you are going with this, but let's not throw Jordan Matthews under the bus. He's very much a potential #1 WR, and arguably has more upside than D-Jax or Maclin had.

Has there been any opinion on signing Crabtree. I'd have to think at 27 years old he's got a real good chance to resurrect his career and Philly or Carolina would seem like great places to do that.

I'm on board with adding a veteran WR like that

I see two posts above . nicks is intriguing but Crabtree no? I don't get it. nicks is a huge target and has been more of a disappointment to me. He's played with ELi who has had tons of yardage over the years, and Andrew Luck. crabtree, who has he played with? Alex Smith and kaepernick? I think I'd take a shot on him well before Nicks. Not even getting into the mental side of things

I'm not sure how on earth people don't realize that Foles is not athletically competent to run this offense. The playbook is dialed waaaay back when he is behind center.

Whether the answer is Kaep, MM, or some other more-mobile QB....I can say with 100% certainly the answer isn't Foles.

I'm not sure how on earth people don't realize that Foles is not athletically competent to run this offense. The playbook is dialed waaaay back when he is behind center.

Whether the answer is Kaep, MM, or some other more-mobile QB....I can say with 100% certainly the answer isn't Foles.

And in the 2 years Kelly has been here the dialed back offense has been the most impressive and took us to the playoffs.

Willis is only 30. He has fuel left in the tank.

But he wont be using it in the NFL

I just saw that he's expected to retire. Wow