What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*Official 2015 Philadelphia Eagles* - Winning when it doesnt count (2 Viewers)

ShaHBucks said:
Trading away draft picks or players for Mariotta does not preclude also improving the defense. The Eagles could definitely sign a couple of Free agents to help the defense.

I don't think the Eagles will do an all-in trade for Mariotta. But it is a lot of fun to think about Chip's offense with somebody who can threaten the defense with their legs. Just imagine Russell Wilson (3rd round pick) in this offense. We just have to get lucky in the draft the way the Seahawks did.
Mike Vick
God no.

thriftyrocker said:
ShaHBucks said:
Trading away draft picks or players for Mariotta does not preclude also improving the defense. The Eagles could definitely sign a couple of Free agents to help the defense.

I don't think the Eagles will do an all-in trade for Mariotta. But it is a lot of fun to think about Chip's offense with somebody who can threaten the defense with their legs. Just imagine Russell Wilson (3rd round pick) in this offense. We just have to get lucky in the draft the way the Seahawks did.
Mike Vick
It is a lot of fun to think about Chip's offense with somebody who can limit turnovers. Just imagine Russell Wilson (3rd round pick) in this offense.
There seems to be an echo in here

renesauz said:
I understand that Mariota is fun to think about and has the Oregon connection and all that, but let's face it:

Even if the Eagles were somehow able to pull off the trade to get him, AND he turns out to be a great QB, they still have a horrible defense and fewer draft picks to improve it.

I don't care how good our offense is, we're not competing with the top teams until we fix the defense.
This.

Plus...when is the last time a team went all in on a player, trading multiple picks and assets, and HAD IT WORK OUT POSITIVELY?

Who has traded 3 first for a single player and gone on to win a Super Bowl, or even compete in a SUper Bowl....heck even make it to a COnferance Championship game in the last 10 years?

Moving multiple high picks for one player DOES NOT WORK in today's NFL.
If Washington traded all those picks and got Andrew Luck instead of RG3, you'd probably be saying the opposite.
You think Indy listened to ANY offers for him? No. If a team needs a QB, much like TB or Tennessee they wont deal that slot for anything.

renesauz said:
I understand that Mariota is fun to think about and has the Oregon connection and all that, but let's face it:

Even if the Eagles were somehow able to pull off the trade to get him, AND he turns out to be a great QB, they still have a horrible defense and fewer draft picks to improve it.

I don't care how good our offense is, we're not competing with the top teams until we fix the defense.
This.

Plus...when is the last time a team went all in on a player, trading multiple picks and assets, and HAD IT WORK OUT POSITIVELY?

Who has traded 3 first for a single player and gone on to win a Super Bowl, or even compete in a SUper Bowl....heck even make it to a COnferance Championship game in the last 10 years?

If Washington traded all those picks and got Andrew Luck instead of RG3, you'd probably be saying the opposite.
You think Indy listened to ANY offers for him? No. If a team needs a QB, much like TB or Tennessee they wont deal that slot for anything.
That's a completely different argument. If they make the trade, then multiple high picks for one player does work.

Here's the list of guys they're interviewing so far for the new personnel role:

Chris Polian

Eliot Wolf

Chris Grier

Brian Gaine

Ed Marynowitz

Chris Ballard

Sheldon White

Last edited by a moderator:
Late225, on 07 Jan 2015 - 11:12 AM, said:Here's the list of guys they're interviewing so far for the new personnel role:

Chris Polian

Eliot Wolf

Chris Grier

Brian Gaine

Ed Marynowitz

Chris Ballard

Sheldon White
Who do we want?

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/01/07/jaguars-give-permission-for-eagles-to-talk-to-chris-polian/

I get the family connection but do we want someone from the Jags?
From what I've read, Chris Polian was responsible for the poor drafts during the last few years of the Manning Colts. That kinda makes me want to pass on him.

Late225, on 07 Jan 2015 - 11:12 AM, said:Here's the list of guys they're interviewing so far for the new personnel role:

Chris Polian

Eliot Wolf

Chris Grier

Brian Gaine

Ed Marynowitz

Chris Ballard

Sheldon White
Who do we want?

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/01/07/jaguars-give-permission-for-eagles-to-talk-to-chris-polian/

I get the family connection but do we want someone from the Jags?
From what I've read, Chris Polian was responsible for the poor drafts during the last few years of the Manning Colts. That kinda makes me want to pass on him.
I like Marynowitz, Wolfe, and Gaine. I think I'm in the same boat as you, I don't know much about these guys except what I've read. You never know who these guys are banging the table for and who gets picked by the coach or someone else in the room. Sheldon White has a chance too. We pulled a safety from their practice squad late in the year who has good measurable and a lot of potential. White might be someone Chip and co. see eye to eye with. Big thing I think for Marynowitz, Wolfe, and Gaine is that all three are coming form 3-4 programs. Marynowitz now with the Eagles and formerly Alabama, Wolfe from Green Bay, and Gaine from Houston. All from winning traditions too.

I don't like the idea of hiring offspring of successful people. You overpay for name recognition and most of the time they aren't nearly as good as their parent.

renesauz said:

This.

That's a completely different argument. If they make the trade, then multiple high picks for one player does work.
I believe theyre tied together and this is why it has never worked. When the general concensus is that you need a QB and a star is there these deals arent made for those reasons.

renesauz said:

This.

What do you mean by "work"? Luck is obviously great, but he hasn't won any championships, and he wouldn't have with Washington either.

Even in the absolute best case scenario outcome that they end up with Luck, you could at least make the argument that they would have been better off with what they gave up (especially considering they would have given up even more to get the #1 than they did to get the #2).

I don't like the idea of hiring offspring of successful people. You overpay for name recognition and most of the time they aren't nearly as good as their parent.
I think the only positive of hiring offspring of successful people is that you know these are "football guys". Thew grew up around the game and know football. According to many reports, that was Chip's big knock on Howie - he wasn't a "football guy".

I think it comes down to Chip talking to the guys on this list. He will get a good sense of who really knows what he is talking about, who understands football, and who understands talent scouting and acquisition. This reminds me of the Billy Davis hire. Davis didn't have the best track record (according to many), but Chip said when he sat down and talked to Davis, it was evident that he knew football, was a smart guy, and they were on the same wave length. I expect that to happen here. One or two of these guys is just going to "click" and check all the boxes for what we're looking for.

I honestly don't get the Howie's not a football guy knock. Hes been a prominent member of an NFL front office for 15 years now. He's overseen 5 NFL drafts even if he didn't have final say in all of them. The guy obviously has seen film and evaluated players. So just because he's not the typical meathead football guy he gets this label?

I honestly don't get the Howie's not a football guy knock. Hes been a prominent member of an NFL front office for 15 years now. He's overseen 5 NFL drafts even if he didn't have final say in all of them. The guy obviously has seen film and evaluated players. So just because he's not the typical meathead football guy he gets this label?
Yes. Similar to Banner. They are seen as "pencil necked geeks." Sad really.

Kwai Chang Caine said:
Insein said:
Eh, it's no different anywhere else, just a trade bias. The mechanic that's been working in his father's garage since he was 10 will probably believe he knows more about cars than the 16 month graduate of Pennco Tech.

Kwai Chang Caine said:
Insein said:
Eh, it's no different anywhere else, just a trade bias. The mechanic that's been working in his father's garage since he was 10 will probably believe he knows more about cars than the 16 month graduate of Pennco Tech.
Yeah but would the Pennco Tech graduate be able to tell you the correct ignition timing on a 1955 Bel Air Chevrolet, with a 327 cubic inch engine and a 4-barrel carburetor?

(hint, its a trick question)

Kwai Chang Caine said:
Insein said:
Yeah but would the Pennco Tech graduate be able to tell you the correct ignition timing on a 1955 Bel Air Chevrolet, with a 327 cubic inch engine and a 4-barrel carburetor?

(hint, its a trick question)
Thank you, Mona Lisa Vito!

So who are the Mariota Lite candidates in the draft this year? Someone who is a good runner and accurate passer.

Somebody said there's an ex-duck who was playing in Louisiana. Who else? Anyone?

So who are the Mariota Lite candidates in the draft this year? Someone who is a good runner and accurate passer.

Somebody said there's an ex-duck who was playing in Louisiana. Who else? Anyone?
I saw us pick Brett Hundley in a mock draft from CBS in round 1 today. http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/nfl-draft-scout/24935958/nfl-mock-draft-eagles-soar-with-brett-hundley
Well, Chip would be familiar with Hundley. I liked that his interceptions went down and his completion % went up through his college career. Really have not seen him play.

Kwai Chang Caine said:
Insein said:
If this report is accurate, it's more than that. Sounds like Howie isn't a joy to work with/for.

One major reason the NovaCare Complex became a revolving door for talented executives, according to several people who have worked under Roseman, is because working with Roseman can be unbearable, especially in times of adversity.

In the NFL, there’s always adversity. No team hits on every draft pick. No team gets every player it wants. Not every team is the first to uncover the hidden gem or trend, like former college basketball players who suddenly become star tight ends.

Scouting isn’t an exact science. Even great franchises like the Patriots, Steelers and Packers have made plenty of bad first-round picks and bust free-agent signings, but sources said Roseman was so driven by fear of failure that he didn’t stick to the process and quickly turned on his staff when problems arose.

Roseman was also distrustful of his staff, fearing that underlings would try to climb the ladder and snatch away his job the same way he did as he worked his way up the chain for 16 years.

His paranoia either drove other talented executives away or landed them pink slips. That’s why guys like Jason Licht, Marc Ross, Tom Heckert, Louis Riddick, Tom Gamble and others had short careers with the Eagles as Roseman worked his way up.

“He’s not a leader,” one person who worked under Roseman said. “He’s an authority figure.”

I guess Dak. Walterfootball ranks him number 3 among QBs.

Brissett looked kind of interesting in his bowl game.

This.

And then you'd have ONE good example in the past ten years instead of zero. The hit rate in the first 10 picks is not so much better than the hit rate in the bottom 10 picks of the first that there is any justification for moving multiple high picks. The risk/reward ratio is terrible, and when you consider that you might have "hit" on more than one pick taken only a little while later the only way it can really work out is if you do get that All Pro player with HOF potential. There are typically only a couple players in any given draft that would meet this criteria, and most of them are only recognized with the benefit of hindsight. Far more than half of them are taken outside the top ten.

Moving multiple high picks (three or more picks in top two rounds) to move up into the top 10 of the NFL draft is beyond merely foolish, it's downright arseinine

This.Plus...when is the last time a team went all in on a player, trading multiple picks and assets, and HAD IT WORK OUT POSITIVELY?

And then you'd have ONE good example in the past ten years instead of zero. The hit rate in the first 10 picks is not so much better than the hit rate in the bottom 10 picks of the first that there is any justification for moving multiple high picks. The risk/reward ratio is terrible, and when you consider that you might have "hit" on more than one pick taken only a little while later the only way it can really work out is if you do get that All Pro player with HOF potential. There are typically only a couple players in any given draft that would meet this criteria, and most of them are only recognized with the benefit of hindsight. Far more than half of them are taken outside the top ten.Moving multiple high picks (three or more picks in top two rounds) to move up into the top 10 of the NFL draft is beyond merely foolish, it's downright arseinine
You're right. 60% hit rate on first rounders. 50% hit rate on second rounders. If I was a GM with the first pick, I'd trade back 8 times for value and take swings - you'll probably get better outcomes.

You're referring to Bryan Bennett from SE Louisiana. Rated as a late-round prospect, apparently has good tools. Could open some eyes at the combine.

Bryce Petty anyone?

Trent Dilfer on the Fanatic today. Seemed pretty down on Mariota and said he thought he'd would drop pretty substantially by the time the Draft actually happens. Potentially all the way to spots 7-10. While I am not down with trading up to 1-2 for Marcus, if he was to drop into the 7/8/9 range, you gotta pull the trigger right?

Trent Dilfer on the Fanatic today. Seemed pretty down on Mariota and said he thought he'd would drop pretty substantially by the time the Draft actually happens. Potentially all the way to spots 7-10. While I am not down with trading up to 1-2 for Marcus, if he was to drop into the 7/8/9 range, you gotta pull the trigger right?
Yeah, man, just like Johnny Football...if they fall you just have to go get them :shrug:

It's too early in the process to tell. He could very well fall just like Johnny who was in the talks for the #1 overall pick this time just last year. Give it a few months.

Let's look at this likely hood. Tampa Bay was 2-14. Their current QBs are Josh McCown and Mike Glennon. Unless they have an absolute certainty in their gut that Mariota will not be just a mediocre QB but an absolute failure, they are drafting him. The other possibility is that he shows so poorly in the combine and pro days at which point, would we want him?

Either way, stop. Everyone thinks its just a fun exercise for talk radio but people will be setting themselves up for a major letdown when :gasp: we don't get Mariota. Its going to get angry after the draft if this keeps up for four more months.

Yeah, man, just like Johnny Football...if they fall you just have to go get them :shrug:

It's too early in the process to tell. He could very well fall just like Johnny who was in the talks for the #1 overall pick this time just last year. Give it a few months.
Manziel dropped because of character issues. If Mariota drops, it'll be because of bad work outs. If he happen to drop pass 5th or 6th pick Chip would be screaming at the new "GM" to make the trade.

Manziel dropped because of character issues. If Mariota drops, it'll be because of bad work outs. If he happen to drop pass 5th or 6th pick Chip would be screaming at the new "GM" to make the trade.
Manziel dropped SOME because of that...that wasnt the entire reason

Same with 2 years ago and Geno Smith...he was another lock for top pick....then top 10....no way he makes it past Blah....etc.

Let's look at this likely hood. Tampa Bay was 2-14. Their current QBs are Josh McCown and Mike Glennon. Unless they have an absolute certainty in their gut that Mariota will not be just a mediocre QB but an absolute failure, they are drafting him. The other possibility is that he shows so poorly in the combine and pro days at which point, would we want him?

Either way, stop. Everyone thinks its just a fun exercise for talk radio but people will be setting themselves up for a major letdown when :gasp: we don't get Mariota. Its going to get angry after the draft if this keeps up for four more months.
This & only this.

One of the top quarterbacks around this time drops for some reason. It can be arm strength, poor interviews, or a myriad of other things. The draft analysts start updating their rankings as the nfl scouts get more in depth with their analysis. Still a long way to go.

poor comparison, but I get your point. Did anyone really ever consider Manziel a #1 overall pick? And I think the luster of Mariota in the eye's of Eagles fans is tied directly to his familiarity with Chip's offense.

This & only this.
Or TB thinks Winston will be the better pro QB and they take him. These guys haven't been poked and prodded, analyzed and over-analyzed yet. Until that happens we have no idea where these guys could go or drop and even then you don't know. Remember the Aaron Rodgers slide. Mocks were projecting him to go top 5 after Alex Smith.

This & only this.
Or TB thinks Winston will be the better pro QB and they take him. These guys haven't been poked and prodded, analyzed and over-analyzed yet. Until that happens we have no idea where these guys could go or drop and even then you don't know. Remember the Aaron Rodgers slide. Mocks were projecting him to go top 5 after Alex Smith.
Hey if he falls to 20, giddy up. Otherwise, pass.

poor comparison, but I get your point. Did anyone really ever consider Manziel a #1 overall pick? And I think the luster of Mariota in the eye's of Eagles fans is tied directly to his familiarity with Chip's offense.
This time last year he was without question a candidate for the #1 pick and a "lock" to be top 5....and Chip had to have him to run his offense. The only change this year with regards to the rumors is the name and the "possibility" that he will hold a team ransom for us/ Chip.

This & only this.
If he falls to 20 they will giddy up alright....they will change it up real fast and all youi'll hear about is the bad reasons he fell lol

This & only this.
If he falls to 20 they will giddy up alright....they will change it up real fast and all youi'll hear about is the bad reasons he fell lol
Most likely. Gotta keep the bar moving.

From Birds 24/7 - rundown on the 'frontrunners' to be the new exec

On Jan. 2, Jeffrey Lurie announced that the Eagles would begin a search for a new personnel executive to be appointed by Chip Kelly.

Since then, several names have been linked to the opening. Below is a rundown, which we’ll keep updated until the Eagles make a hire.

ED MARYNOWITZ, Eagles asst. director of player personnel

Source: PFT

The 30-year-old has spent three years with the Eagles and was previously Alabama's director of player personnel, working closely with Nick Saban. Marynowitz also spent one year scouting for the Miami Dolphins, working under Bill Parcells and Jeff Ireland.

Per a CSN Philly report, Marynowitz and Howie Roseman have butted heads and had a frosty relationship.

Marynowitz is the only internal candidate on this list. Considered an up-and-comer, would he have the clout to challenge Kelly?

SHELDON WHITE, Lions VP of player personnel

Source: NFL Network

White, 49, started out with the Lions as a scout in 1997 and has been with the organization for 18 seasons. White has served in his current role for the past six years.

He handles a variety of duties in Detroit, running the team's free agent meetings, assisting in the draft process and negotiating contracts.

White played six years in the NFL as a player. He is one of two minority candidates on this list.

CHRIS BALLARD, Chiefs director of player personnel

Source: ESPN

An initial report suggested the Eagles had asked permission to interview him, but NFL Network said later that Ballard was not expected to meet with the Birds.

By all accounts, he would be overqualified for the Eagles' position, and Ballard is reportedly the frontrunner to land the Chicago Bears' GM job.

ELIOT WOLF, Packers director of player personnel

Source: CBS Sports

Peter King of The MMQB called him "the brightest prospect among the young front office guys." But it seems unlikely that the 32-year-old would jump ship for a job in which he doesn't have final say on personnel.

The son of Ron Wolf, Eliot just received a promotion on Jan. 2. There have been reports indicating that Wolf is in line to eventually replace Ted Thompson as Green Bay's GM.

CHRIS GRIER, Dolphins director of college scouting

Source: Adam Schefter

Per the Sun Sentinel, Grier has spent 15 years with the Dolphins, including eight in his current role. He previously worked with the New England Patriots.

Grier worked his way up the scouting ranks and is the son of longtime exec Bobby Grier, who currently works in the Houston Texans front office.

Grier is reportedly in the mix for the New York Jets' GM job. He is one of two minority candidates on this list.

CHRIS POLIAN, Jaguars director of player personnel

He served three years as the Colts vice president and GM before being fired. The son of Bill Polian, Chris started his career with Indianapolis in 1998 and served a variety of roles. He spent one season (2012) as an executive scout for the Atlanta Falcons.

Per Albert Breer, the Jaguars have granted the Eagles permission to talk to Polian, and the two sides are currently trying to set up an interview time.

BRIAN GAINE, Texans director of player personnel

Gaine has 16 years of experience. Prior to being hired by the Texans last offseason, he was with the Dolphins for six years, including two as assistant GM. Gaine has also spent time with the New York Jets and Dallas Cowboys.

Gaine, 41, recently interviewed for the Chicago Bears' GM opening.

Per Albert Breer, the Texans have granted Gaine permission to speak with the Eagles.

Read more at http://www.phillymag.com/birds247/2015/01/07/chips-search-tracking-candidates/#J5Um16Mkpt61GMzG.99

Mighty Mice said:
From Birds 24/7 - rundown on the 'frontrunners' to be the new exec

On Jan. 2, Jeffrey Lurie announced that the Eagles would begin a search for a new personnel executive to be appointed by Chip Kelly.

Since then, several names have been linked to the opening. Below is a rundown, which we’ll keep updated until the Eagles make a hire.

ED MARYNOWITZ, Eagles asst. director of player personnel

Source: PFT

The 30-year-old has spent three years with the Eagles and was previously Alabama's director of player personnel, working closely with Nick Saban. Marynowitz also spent one year scouting for the Miami Dolphins, working under Bill Parcells and Jeff Ireland.

Per a CSN Philly report, Marynowitz and Howie Roseman have butted heads and had a frosty relationship.

Marynowitz is the only internal candidate on this list. Considered an up-and-comer, would he have the clout to challenge Kelly?

SHELDON WHITE, Lions VP of player personnel

Source: NFL Network

White, 49, started out with the Lions as a scout in 1997 and has been with the organization for 18 seasons. White has served in his current role for the past six years.

He handles a variety of duties in Detroit, running the team's free agent meetings, assisting in the draft process and negotiating contracts.

White played six years in the NFL as a player. He is one of two minority candidates on this list.

CHRIS BALLARD, Chiefs director of player personnel

Source: ESPN

An initial report suggested the Eagles had asked permission to interview him, but NFL Network said later that Ballard was not expected to meet with the Birds.

By all accounts, he would be overqualified for the Eagles' position, and Ballard is reportedly the frontrunner to land the Chicago Bears' GM job.

ELIOT WOLF, Packers director of player personnel

Source: CBS Sports

Peter King of The MMQB called him "the brightest prospect among the young front office guys." But it seems unlikely that the 32-year-old would jump ship for a job in which he doesn't have final say on personnel.

The son of Ron Wolf, Eliot just received a promotion on Jan. 2. There have been reports indicating that Wolf is in line to eventually replace Ted Thompson as Green Bay's GM.

CHRIS GRIER, Dolphins director of college scouting

Per the Sun Sentinel, Grier has spent 15 years with the Dolphins, including eight in his current role. He previously worked with the New England Patriots.

Grier worked his way up the scouting ranks and is the son of longtime exec Bobby Grier, who currently works in the Houston Texans front office.

Grier is reportedly in the mix for the New York Jets' GM job. He is one of two minority candidates on this list.

CHRIS POLIAN, Jaguars director of player personnel

He served three years as the Colts vice president and GM before being fired. The son of Bill Polian, Chris started his career with Indianapolis in 1998 and served a variety of roles. He spent one season (2012) as an executive scout for the Atlanta Falcons.

Per Albert Breer, the Jaguars have granted the Eagles permission to talk to Polian, and the two sides are currently trying to set up an interview time.

BRIAN GAINE, Texans director of player personnel

Gaine has 16 years of experience. Prior to being hired by the Texans last offseason, he was with the Dolphins for six years, including two as assistant GM. Gaine has also spent time with the New York Jets and Dallas Cowboys.

Gaine, 41, recently interviewed for the Chicago Bears' GM opening.

Per Albert Breer, the Texans have granted Gaine permission to speak with the Eagles.

Read more at http://www.phillymag.com/birds247/2015/01/07/chips-search-tracking-candidates/#J5Um16Mkpt61GMzG.99
Thanks for the info. A few of those look great but seem like they won't be leaving to come here. Would have loved Wolf.

I'm worried it will be Marynowitz as I'm not sure he'll stick up to Kelly like your info suggests. Gaine might be a good choice.

"Seahawks director of college scouting Scott Fitterer is expected to interview this week for the Eagles GM job, per a league source"

Yes please.

Users who are viewing this thread