What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*Official 2015 Philadelphia Eagles* - Winning when it doesnt count (4 Viewers)

Tall, big and fast. Sounds like a Kelly guy.
I think the Eagles will favour these "not quite good enough" CB types to play at S. That's what Jenkins is, he was drafted in the 1st by the Saints as a CB, didn't work out there and switched to S.

@Jeff_McLane: DeMeco Ryans got a $2.5 million signing bonus and his 2015 salary is $2M, so his cap number is around $3M. There are incentives, too.

Wow 7.5 per? I would have thought the only reason to extend would be to lessen the cap hit.

:confused:

ETA: Never mind. Phew!

Ryans was scheduled to carry a $6.9 million cap hit in 2015. According to NFL media's Ian Rapoport, Ryans' new deal is worth $7.5 million base value. It can be worth up to $10.5 million and includes $6.25 million guaranteed. Jeff McLane reports Ryans got a $2.5 million signing bonus and his 2015 salary is $2 million, so the linebacker's cap number is around $3 million.
http://www.bleedinggreennation.com/2015/3/30/8126909/demeco-ryans-eagles-contract-extension-linebacker-2016

Last edited by a moderator:
@RapSheet: WR Miles Austin and the #Eagles have agreed on a one-year deal worth $2.3M base with another $700K available in incentives, source said.

He's a nice vet to have behind Matthews and Huff. I'm fine with it.
Who has more TD's in 2015, Maclin or Austin?
Maclin.
Maclin's always been a decent RZ producer. Eagles have a lot of big targets (Ertz, Celek, Cooper, Matthews, Austin) and prefer to run than throw there.

With a decent target to call throws to, Big Red reverts to type. My off the cuff Maclin prediction is 75/1050/8

i heard at the coaches meeting last week the eagles were lobbying the NFL to move to los angeles, apparently the pennsylvania winters dont fit with chips offense. pretty strange since he just signed all these guys that can predict blizzards a week in advance with their bum knees.

i heard at the coaches meeting last week the eagles were lobbying the NFL to move to los angeles, apparently the pennsylvania winters dont fit with chips offense. pretty strange since he just signed all these guys that can predict blizzards a week in advance with their bum knees.
I can appreciate an eagles bashing joke if it's clever. Very weak effort on this one though.

Maclin.
Maclin's always been a decent RZ producer. Eagles have a lot of big targets (Ertz, Celek, Cooper, Matthews, Austin) and prefer to run than throw there.

With a decent target to call throws to, Big Red reverts to type. My off the cuff Maclin prediction is 75/1050/8
I don't think that dramatic of a WR turnaround for KC is possible. I think the 0 WR td's was clearly an anomaly, but if Maclin gets 8, I'm sure the other WRs will combine for 5. To go from 0 to 13 would be too much. I see a massive improvement up to 8-10 wr tds, with maclin producing 3-5 of these.

i heard at the coaches meeting last week the eagles were lobbying the NFL to move to los angeles, apparently the pennsylvania winters dont fit with chips offense. pretty strange since he just signed all these guys that can predict blizzards a week in advance with their bum knees and his dad went into a restaurant and he ate all the food in the restaurant and they had to close the restaurant

Maclin.

I don't think that dramatic of a WR turnaround for KC is possible. I think the 0 WR td's was clearly an anomaly, but if Maclin gets 8, I'm sure the other WRs will combine for 5. To go from 0 to 13 would be too much. I see a massive improvement up to 8-10 wr tds, with maclin producing 3-5 of these.
Maybe. I think the 0TDs is such a huge anomaly that regression to something like the league mean is likely. It's still Alex Smith, but he's not that bad.

Maclin.

Maybe. I think the 0TDs is such a huge anomaly that regression to something like the league mean is likely. It's still Alex Smith, but he's not that bad.
I'm not sure it's THAT much of an anomaly for them (or for the league):

Chiefs WR TD's by year:

2014: 0

2013: 9

2012: 4

2011: 9

I didn't realize it, but over 20% of NFL teams had 10 or less WR TD's last year: (Chiefs, Browns, Jets, Rams, Vikings, Titans, Seahawks). Jumping back up to 10 would be a BIG improvement and KC's best in 5 years. Kelce should also be more involved so that number seems about right for them. Can't really see Maclin catching many more then half of those, so I think around 6 is more realistic.

renesauz said:
Bigboy10182000 said:
Yeah....I am too as long as he's cheap. Really hoping to see some progression from Huff....the talent is there I think.
This. If Austin sees the field much at all, I think we're in trouble (unless it's taking snaps from Cooper). We need Huff to make a leap this year to really have a shot at progressing. I don't want to draft a WR in round 1 this year - really want a DB or OL. I can kind of see signing Murray now - yea, we probably could have gotten one of the RB's in the first 2 rounds, but that's a pick we're not grabbing a position where we COULDN'T upgrade in FA. Upgrade in FA where we can, use the draft for the rest.

In rounds 1-3 come away with a DB, OL and WR and we should be in good shape. Due to the scheme I believe a OL and WR could contribute right away.

Eagles Draft Party at the Linc is back this year. Just got my tickets. Can't wait to hear the boo's when we don't do anything and pick our third-choice S at #20!

Last edited by a moderator:
renesauz said:
Bigboy10182000 said:
Yeah....I am too as long as he's cheap. Really hoping to see some progression from Huff....the talent is there I think.
This. If Austin sees the field much at all, I think we're in trouble (unless it's taking snaps from Cooper). We need Huff to make a leap this year to really have a shot at progressing. I don't want to draft a WR in round 1 this year - really want a DB or OL. I can kind of see signing Murray now - yea, we probably could have gotten one of the RB's in the first 2 rounds, but that's a pick we're not grabbing a position where we COULDN'T upgrade in FA. Upgrade in FA where we can, use the draft for the rest.
According to Chip, it doesn't matter who the WR's are if Mariota is the QB.

Eagles Draft Party at the Linc is back this year. Just got my tickets. Can't wait to hear the boo's when we don't do anything and pick our third-choice S at #20!
Where did you get them? I used to go every year and get my tickets off of like craigslist or eBay or something. I'd like to avoid that if possible

Where did you get them? I used to go every year and get my tickets off of like craigslist or eBay or something. I'd like to avoid that if possible
STH got an email that they were available today at 10am. I think they sold out.

STH got an email that they were available today at 10am. I think they sold out.
Yeah I called them and they said they were gone within minutes. I'll probably just buy them closer to the party.

Been spending a bit of time on this mock draft site:

www.fanspeak.com/ontheclock/

Don't go there if you have things to do, it a huge time waster. Here's my latest. Obviously some of the projections are a bit off and some of these guys aren't likely to be available at those spots, but strange things do happen.

R1 - Jake Fisher OT Oregon

R2 - Kevin Johnson CB Wake Forrest

R3 - Breshad Perrimann WR UCF

R4 - Ali Marpet OG Hobart

R5 - Philip Dorsett WR Miami

R5 - Damarious Russell S Arizona State

R6 - Blake Bell TE Oklahoma

R7 - Cameron Artis-Payne RB Auburn

I'd be really happy with that haul.

Ash said:

Don't go there if you have things to do, it a huge time waster. Here's my latest. Obviously some of the projections are a bit off and some of these guys aren't likely to be available at those spots, but strange things do happen.

Interesting because I just read this recently. I have no opinion myself, just throwing it out there for discussion.

Is Oregon's Jake Fisher worth Eagles' first-round pick?

That's what going around the draftnik circles as more and more mock drafts are being published.

And according to three NFL scouts, who are actually involved in making real picks for their teams, it would be a mistake.

"(Fisher) in the first round?'' one AFC scout said incredulously. "Not even Chip would do that, would he? I hope he does. But no, he's not a first-round pick. We have a dozen (offensive linemen) ranked ahead of him.''

The Miami Herald's Armando Salguero reports the Eagles are "willing to trade" slot CB Brandon Boykin.
the merry-go-round just doesn't stop
Rumors have mentioned Boykin for Dion Jordan.
I'd still do it despite the below:

On July 3, 2014, Jordan was suspended for the first 4 games of the 2014 season for violating the NFL's performance enhancing substance policy. On September 19, 2014, Jordan again violated the drug policy and was given an additional 2 games to add for the suspension.

Ash said:

Interesting because I just read this recently. I have no opinion myself, just throwing it out there for discussion.

That's what going around the draftnik circles as more and more mock drafts are being published.

And according to three NFL scouts, who are actually involved in making real picks for their teams, it would be a mistake.

"(Fisher) in the first round?'' one AFC scout said incredulously. "Not even Chip would do that, would he? I hope he does. But no, he's not a first-round pick. We have a dozen (offensive linemen) ranked ahead of him.''
Ya I don't love this mock. For a few reasons.

1. Fisher is way too early. I don't think he's a first rounder, definitely not at 20!

2. Perriman in the third?!?!?! no way! L ots have him going round 1... round 2 at the latest.

I would much rather go:

S (only if collins is there and fits what we want to do, which im not sure either is the case)

WR

OL

CB

OL

DL

DL

The Miami Herald's Armando Salguero reports the Eagles are "willing to trade" slot CB Brandon Boykin.

On July 3, 2014, Jordan was suspended for the first 4 games of the 2014 season for violating the NFL's performance enhancing substance policy. On September 19, 2014, Jordan again violated the drug policy and was given an additional 2 games to add for the suspension.
is this actually a rumour going around? I know the dolphins are interested, but damn.

When our CBs are an issue already, why give up on Boykin who has played very well! I love the kid, hope he gets some more chances. Chip seems hell bent on shipping every player off that he didn't draft though.

Ash said:

Ya I don't love this mock. For a few reasons.

1. Fisher is way too early. I don't think he's a first rounder, definitely not at 20!

2. Perriman in the third?!?!?! no way! L ots have him going round 1... round 2 at the latest.

I would much rather go:

S (only if collins is there and fits what we want to do, which im not sure either is the case)

WR

OL

CB

OL

DL

DL
I will never be shocked to see OL go earlier than expected. I also wont be shokec to see WR's go later than expected in a deep class.

As far as Collins goes, I just read somewhere that he may be better suited as a LBer than a safety.

is this actually a rumour going around? I know the dolphins are interested, but damn.

When our CBs are an issue already, why give up on Boykin who has played very well! I love the kid, hope he gets some more chances. Chip seems hell bent on shipping every player off that he didn't draft though.
Boykin may be the Freddy Galvis/ Ruff of the Eagles.

Not the kind of thing I usually expect to stumble across when browsing Over the Cap, but an interesting read nonetheless:

http://overthecap.com/eagles-finding-value-in-injured-players/

Eagles Finding Value in Injured Players

Posted on April 2, 2015 by Zack Moore

ESPN’s Phil Sheridan had a great article yesterday about the Eagles going after injured players this offseason. He discusses that a lot of Eagles players have had positive experiences with Chip Kelly’s sports science program and that “the focus on work and recovery has many veteran players saying they feel better during the season than they ever have in the past.”

What got me so excited about this article is that this kind of value seeking in unique ways is at the crux of so much of what I’m researching while I write Caponomics: Understanding NFL Roster Building through Super Bowl Champion Salary Cap Analysis.

The Patriots have been one of my favorite case studies throughout the process of writing this bookbecause they have a system in place that allows them to continue to find players at a low-cost that end up being very valuable for them as their production exceeds their cost. I keep citing my article titled, The Patriots Way, but I think it’s a good example of why they’ve been great for so long.

It’s pretty simple why the Patriots are so good every season, their advantage is that they know themselves better than the rest of the NFL knows themselves. They’re able to find players who don’t have much worth on the market, but are very valuable to the role the Patriots then put them in.Due to this, they know what they need to succeed more than anyone.

The Eagles seem to have their own X-factor now with Chip Kelly’s sports science program and his name is Shaun Huls.

So this offseason, the Eagles went out and got two players coming off ACL tears in Sam Bradford and Kiko Alonso. The signed two running backs who have had leg issues during their careers in Ryan Mathews and DeMarco Murray. They signed cornerback Walter Thurmond who tore his pec with the Giants last year and Miles Austin who missed the last four games after injuring a kidney, but whose career was derailed in 2011 by hamstring issues that kept coming back.

That ESPN article by Phil Sheridan made me realize that the Eagles really must believe in their sports science program because every one of those players except Kiko Alonso has been hit with the “injury prone” label at some point during their careers. If this works for the Eagles where they not only keep their guys healthy, but are confident enough to take calculated risks on very talented players whose value is deflated due to injury, then they’ve got themselves a huge advantage.

The marketplace for NFL players is a lot like the stock market or any other market. There are certain players who will be given less of a value than others because of the risks associated with them, whether that’s injuries or off the field concerns, risks equal a devaluation of the stock or player. The Eagles have themselves the tools to defy market forces now and it’s going to pay off in a huge way.
Lots of great links in the article, too, including the story of a Navy SEAL who tracked down Huls after getting wounded in Afghanistan and under his supervision went from doctors recommending his severely injured arm be amputated to benching 275 pounds with it.
I think Chip's actually playing two games at once with this wave of signings. There's the obvious one - so-called "injury risks" are systematically undervalued in general - and there's another one that's almost asset allocation-related. Basically, by adding multiple higher-risk assets to a lower-risk portfolio, you not only improve the portfolio's average return but reduce its overall variance.

In other words, it might not be worth signing one injury-prone guy, even at a discount, because there's a decent chance he'll deliver little or no return. But by signing a half-dozen such guys at discounts you can "turn a profit" even if a couple of them miss big chunks of time - and of course it amplifies your upside if they all manage to stay healthy.

It's going to be an interesting season, for sure.

As a frugal shopper that has purchased multiple appliances and home furnishings from the "scratch and dent" outlets, I approve this plan.

The only issue I have is that we paid too close to MSRP for Bradford.

Users who are viewing this thread