What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*Official 2015 Philadelphia Eagles* - Winning when it doesnt count (2 Viewers)

If we step away from the pipe dream for a moment, we can take a look at some names the Eagles should target with the 20th pick.

Obviously if a guy like Landon Collins falls, I think you have to take him but most mocks have him going to Chicago at 9.

Trae Waynes could fall there and has good attributes for a CB.

Andrus Peat is a late first tackle that has a combination of speed and size similar to Lane Johnson. Could start out at guard and take over for Peters once he's done.

Kevin Johnson at CB is another guy who can press and stay with WRs according to his scouting report.

Marcus Peters has some character issues but if he can play the way they say he can, it won't matter. A bit undersized but can flat out cover.

Cedric Ogbeuhi is going in the high teens right now but another athletic tackle that would fit the scheme well.

Lots of solid talent that could contribute right away.
My favorite CB target for hte Eagles and their scheme is now Jalen Collins. I think they could get him in the second round.

Eric Kendricks is a guy that jumps out to me in the first. The OT Collins from LSU is another possibility. It's starting to look like Mariota could fall. He went 18th in Bucky Brooks' recent mock. We could probably leapfrog to 17 for a 3rd if that happens.

Paul Dawson is another guy that fits what we want to do here. Probably will go in the early second. Jalen Mills is the obvious safety target for the scheme as well. If we don't get Mariota, I think a lot of the guys we are targeting will be available with a trade down.

Landon Collins isn't a great scheme fit for The Eagles either. He's more of a thumper SS, while a slot covering, rangy safety, would be a better fit.

We'll also see where we are when the draft comes around. Besides Jason Worilds, I don't know who The Eagles are targeting in free agency. Devin McCourty makes sense, but he's probably staying with or getting tagged by the Patriots. Brooks Reed would be nice, but wouldn't be necessary if we got Worilds. With Undler now being the DB's coach, it makes you wonder if Rahim Moore is also a target.

I wouldn't even draft a QB in this draft outside of the top two guys and even those two I don't think will be anything special.
Draft a QB every year and even more so when you only have Barkley as a back-up...

I believe Petty has 2nd round grades, no?
I would rather take a shot at possible UDFA (although his stock is rising) like Bryan Bennett who also has the Oregon connection. I'm not using a 1st, 2nd or 3rd on a QB.

I wouldn't even draft a QB in this draft outside of the top two guys and even those two I don't think will be anything special.
Draft a QB every year and even more so when you only have Barkley as a back-up...

I would rather take a shot at possible UDFA (although his stock is rising) like Bryan Bennett who also has the Oregon connection. I'm not using a 1st, 2nd or 3rd on a QB.
Just curious. I'm not opposed to it. Same with WR...If they do that in round 1 I'm OK with it...same with a QB in round 2, if he has some upside in the even Foles gets hurt. Petty can move, seems like he has a nice arm and nice size as well.

Most I've seen have him going in the 4-6 range. But yes we will need another qb. I would like to resign Sanchez, draft a QB in the 4-6 range and have him compete with Barkley for the 3rd spot.

My favorite Eagles' draft targets:

Mariota if he falls like Bucky Brooks is projecting (trade down for no more than a 3rd round pick - ie 20 to 17th)

La'el Collins - OT that fits would we're looking for

Jalen Collins - CB trade down in first or trade up in 2nd.

Paul Dawson - trade down in first or trade up in 2nd

Quinten Rollins - probably going in the fourth round or later. Former basketball player who showed good instincts and not afraid to tackle. Great guy for Undlin to teach.

Bryan Bennett - 6th/7th/UDFA. Former Oregon qb that Mariota beat out his freshmen year. Could be a poor man's Mariota for a cheap price.

I'm still digging for scheme fits and value. Kwon Alexander is another interesting name.

If we step away from the pipe dream for a moment, we can take a look at some names the Eagles should target with the 20th pick.

Obviously if a guy like Landon Collins falls, I think you have to take him but most mocks have him going to Chicago at 9.

Trae Waynes could fall there and has good attributes for a CB.

Andrus Peat is a late first tackle that has a combination of speed and size similar to Lane Johnson. Could start out at guard and take over for Peters once he's done.

Kevin Johnson at CB is another guy who can press and stay with WRs according to his scouting report.

Marcus Peters has some character issues but if he can play the way they say he can, it won't matter. A bit undersized but can flat out cover.

Cedric Ogbeuhi is going in the high teens right now but another athletic tackle that would fit the scheme well.

Lots of solid talent that could contribute right away.
My favorite CB target for hte Eagles and their scheme is now Jalen Collins. I think they could get him in the second round. Eric Kendricks is a guy that jumps out to me in the first. The OT Collins from LSU is another possibility. It's starting to look like Mariota could fall. He went 18th in Bucky Brooks' recent mock. We could probably leapfrog to 17 for a 3rd if that happens.

Paul Dawson is another guy that fits what we want to do here. Probably will go in the early second. Jalen Mills is the obvious safety target for the scheme as well. If we don't get Mariota, I think a lot of the guys we are targeting will be available with a trade down.

Landon Collins isn't a great scheme fit for The Eagles either. He's more of a thumper SS, while a slot covering, rangy safety, would be a better fit.

We'll also see where we are when the draft comes around. Besides Jason Worilds, I don't know who The Eagles are targeting in free agency. Devin McCourty makes sense, but he's probably staying with or getting tagged by the Patriots. Brooks Reed would be nice, but wouldn't be necessary if we got Worilds. With Undler now being the DB's coach, it makes you wonder if Rahim Moore is also a target.
Brooks Reed was a name that stood out to me when looking at the list a few weeks ago. Availability, scheme fit, positional need, team history all make a ton of sense

Just curious. I'm not opposed to it. Same with WR...If they do that in round 1 I'm OK with it...same with a QB in round 2, if he has some upside in the even Foles gets hurt. Petty can move, seems like he has a nice arm and nice size as well.
Here is the analysis on Petty from CBS Sports:

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1664902/bryce-petty

STRENGTHS: He has a lot of positive throws out there along with size, mobility and resilient toughness to rally the troops. Has more than enough arm strength to make every throw, displaying excellent timing within Baylor's pass-happy, shotgun offense.

When he gets in a rhythm, Petty is highly efficient passing downfield, showing touch, timing and placement, especially when peppering zone coverage with quick throws underneath. Has shown improvement with functional mobility to extend plays outside of the pocket and hit targets downfield for big plays vertically.

WEAKNESSES: Often predetermines his reads and locks in to his primary target, struggling to consistently diagnose the defense to work through his progressions. He is always in shotgun formation and isn't asked to move his feet unless he has to and once he's pressured, Petty is out of his element, struggling to reset his base or eyes.

Petty tests a lot of vertical throws with a lot of bucket tosses, but he doesn't throw for a high percentage downfield and often throws up passes that can be best categorized as 50-50 balls.

NFL teams are already weary about quarterbacks from spread offenses, and some of Petty's 2014 game tape won't help his draft stock.

COMPARES TO: Brandon Weeden, Cowboys -- Petty is reminiscent of a younger, more athletic version of Weeden, coming from a spread offense that relies on a lot of quick, one-read plays that make it easy to identify single match-ups.
This analysis isn't too flattering. Sounds like he has size and arm strength but not much else. No pocket awareness, lack of going through progressions, poor decision making.

Been reading that Delvin Breaux (CFL CB) has been making the rounds. Any word if the Eagles gave him a tryout?

Snotbubbles said:
Bigboy10182000 said:
Snotbubbles said:
Bigboy10182000 said:
Snotbubbles said:

Here is the analysis on Petty from CBS Sports:

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1664902/bryce-petty

STRENGTHS: He has a lot of positive throws out there along with size, mobility and resilient toughness to rally the troops. Has more than enough arm strength to make every throw, displaying excellent timing within Baylor's pass-happy, shotgun offense.

When he gets in a rhythm, Petty is highly efficient passing downfield, showing touch, timing and placement, especially when peppering zone coverage with quick throws underneath. Has shown improvement with functional mobility to extend plays outside of the pocket and hit targets downfield for big plays vertically.

WEAKNESSES: Often predetermines his reads and locks in to his primary target, struggling to consistently diagnose the defense to work through his progressions. He is always in shotgun formation and isn't asked to move his feet unless he has to and once he's pressured, Petty is out of his element, struggling to reset his base or eyes.

Petty tests a lot of vertical throws with a lot of bucket tosses, but he doesn't throw for a high percentage downfield and often throws up passes that can be best categorized as 50-50 balls.

NFL teams are already weary about quarterbacks from spread offenses, and some of Petty's 2014 game tape won't help his draft stock.

COMPARES TO: Brandon Weeden, Cowboys -- Petty is reminiscent of a younger, more athletic version of Weeden, coming from a spread offense that relies on a lot of quick, one-read plays that make it easy to identify single match-ups.
This analysis isn't too flattering. Sounds like he has size and arm strength but not much else. No pocket awareness, lack of going through progressions, poor decision making.
I try not to get to wrapped up in someone's percieved strengths and weaknesses. A lot of his weaknesses seem like something you can identify closer to draft day IMO. If some of those get worked out he is intriguing IMO

I'm just tossing some names out there for talk

Last edited by a moderator:
@GeoffMosherCSN: Ohio State WR Devin Smith and USC CB Josh Shaw have also met with the #Eagles.

@EliotShorrParks: Hau'oli Kikaha, a long 6-3,250 OLB from Washington, says he met with #Eagles

gchip said:
Been reading that Delvin Breaux (CFL CB) has been making the rounds. Any word if the Eagles gave him a tryout?
We were one of the teams looking at him. My gut says he goes to New Orleans.

gchip said:
Because his name is Breaux, Bro?
Neaux Breaux, it's because he is from Louisiana and went to Tulsa. Had scholarships to LSU before the horrific injury.

I'm really basing this on nothing except that he's from the area. I really, really hope he comes to Philly though.

It would really help our planning. We can sign him on February 10th, which is almost a month before the rest of the UFA's are able to sign or negotiate. It will give us a leg up on planning, and we'll have time to decide if we want Cary to come back at $8mil or want to attack a second starting CB in a single year.

gchip said:
Neaux Breaux, it's because he is from Louisiana and went to Tulsa. Had scholarships to LSU before the horrific injury.

I'm really basing this on nothing except that he's from the area. I really, really hope he comes to Philly though.

It would really help our planning. We can sign him on February 10th, which is almost a month before the rest of the UFA's are able to sign or negotiate. It will give us a leg up on planning, and we'll have time to decide if we want Cary to come back at $8mil or want to attack a second starting CB in a single year.
Yea, I really want the Eagles can sign him as well. An extra 20k signing bonus is practically pocket change to teams but may seal the deal.

Along with FA, it would be great to have him onboard before the draft. It gives us more options to take BPA if there happens to be a DB run before pick 20.

@caplannfl: Boston College OC/QBs coach Ryan Day is expected to join #Eagles as QBs coach, league source said. Replaces Bill Musgrave.

@EliotShorrParks: Ryan Day is expected to #Eagles new QB coach, per @caplannfl. Day started coaching at New Hampshire in '02 w/Chip. Also some time at Temple

Like I said, coach-speak praise with a passive-aggressive knock.

Now go look at the things he said about Mariota.
Now go look at the things he said about Mark Sanchez.
I think Marcus will be successful whether hes an NFL player, a banker, a teacher, a fireman, a policeman, Kelly said Monday on 94WIP in Philly. Ive said it before about some other players, but if you can buy stock in a human being, you buy stock in that kid because hell always be successful in anything he does. . . . I felt lucky that I had an opportunity to coach a young man like that. When you listen to his [Heisman Trophy] acceptance speech, I think its maybe a sliver of what we got the chance to experience every day to be around him. Hes a special young man. I know Im better person for being associated with him.

Kellys comments follow last weeks glowing remarks about Mariota, whom Kelly pegged to win a Heisman Trophy as a freshman and whom Kelly said has a gift for playing football, that hes everything you want, that he can throw the ball, he can run, and that hes the most talented kid that I coached in college.
Here's the rest of the quote.

"He obviously has a big-time arm, he's got an NFL arm, he's got NFL feet, he's really, really smart, he's sharp, great work ethic, very athletic. He had all the things we're looking for in a quarterback," Kelly said. "He's a hell of a quarterback and we're excited that we got him."

@MattLombardo975: Day's familiarity with Chip from New Hampshire days certainly helps, but overall he seems to have great credentials. OC in waiting perhaps?

Neaux Breaux, it's because he is from Louisiana and went to Tulsa. Had scholarships to LSU before the horrific injury. I'm really basing this on nothing except that he's from the area. I really, really hope he comes to Philly though.

Good call

@AdamSchefter: Delvin Breaux, a standout CFL CB who worked out for 13 NFL teams, has reached agreement with the New Orleans Saints.

Neaux Breaux, it's because he is from Louisiana and went to Tulsa. Had scholarships to LSU before the horrific injury. I'm really basing this on nothing except that he's from the area. I really, really hope he comes to Philly though.

Good call

@AdamSchefter: Delvin Breaux, a standout CFL CB who worked out for 13 NFL teams, has reached agreement with the New Orleans Saints.
Ya I was hoping for him. Damn.

If assume that would mean Sanchez is back to start and let Mariota sit for awhile or mariota starts week one. Meh
IF they end up drafting him, Mariota is the starter from day 1.
Is that a good thing?
Worse than starting Foles, better than starting Sanchez. He knows the offense and can implement it. If he runs too much or is too cautious because the game is moving too fast, that's not the worst thing in the world. The team will still put up points.

I'd rather keep Foles and draft a QB later. I still think Nick has what it takes to be an upper echelon QB. Maybe not elite but he isn't far off from the Philip Rivers and Matt Ryan's of the league.

CentralPA, on 27 Jan 2015 - 08:38 AM, said:I'd rather keep Foles and draft a QB later. I still think Nick has what it takes to be an upper echelon QB. Maybe not elite but he isn't far off from the Philip Rivers and Matt Ryan's of the league.
I agree, build around him.

CentralPA, on 27 Jan 2015 - 08:38 AM, said:I'd rather keep Foles and draft a QB later. I still think Nick has what it takes to be an upper echelon QB. Maybe not elite but he isn't far off from the Philip Rivers and Matt Ryan's of the league.
You're going to have to commit ~17M per season to Foles after this year. You better be sure he's the guy.

CentralPA, on 27 Jan 2015 - 08:38 AM, said:

I'd rather keep Foles and draft a QB later. I still think Nick has what it takes to be an upper echelon QB. Maybe not elite but he isn't far off from the Philip Rivers and Matt Ryan's of the league.
You're going to have to commit ~17M per season to Foles after this year. You better be sure he's the guy.
If he plays well this year, then he'll have earned it. If he doesn't play well, he won't be here.

If he plays well this year, then he'll have earned it. If he doesn't play well, he won't be here.
And then we draft a QB in 2016 and it's Kellys year 5 before our new qb sees the field in meaningful play.

And then we draft a QB in 2016 and it's Kellys year 5 before our new qb sees the field in meaningful play.
That's been my concern from jump street. I'm 97% against going after Mariota, but at the end of the day I am a Chip guy; if it's Mariota or bye bye chip in two years then I say fudge it, go get him.

People need to get Mariota out of their heads. All this talk and posturing and speculation ignores the simple fact that Tampa or someone at the top has to want to deal. With only two QB prospects in the draft worth starting, he's not leaving the top 6.

He's Kelly's guy. That's great. Maybe they'll have a hug when the Eagles play the Bucs.

People need to get Mariota out of their heads. All this talk and posturing and speculation ignores the simple fact that Tampa or someone at the top has to want to deal. With only two QB prospects in the draft worth starting, he's not leaving the top 6.

He's Kelly's guy. That's great. Maybe they'll have a hug when the Eagles play the Bucs.
You're the reasonable one.

Such an overblown stupid radio concept. 17 million per TODAY is roughly Alex Smith money and like the 10th or 12th highest salary for QB's. 2-3 years into that money where do you think that average per year would be? If he's gets the radio suggested deal of 15-17 per we would be completely fine and more than likely be able to get out of the deal after a couple seasons.

Such an overblown stupid radio concept. 17 million per TODAY is roughly Alex Smith money and like the 10th or 12th highest salary for QB's. 2-3 years into that money where do you think that average per year would be? If he's gets the radio suggested deal of 15-17 per we would be completely fine and more than likely be able to get out of the deal after a couple seasons.
Exactly....he won't be getting a Russell Wilson deal, it would be the Andy Dalton deal with plenty of outs for the team. We can't just let every QB go once their rookie deal is up to not pay them.

Bigboy10182000 said:
Unrelated post but---Does this Super Bowl have the 2 worst WR cores ever in a SB?
Hmm... good question, never thought of that. Would have to say yes in recent memory. But I'd assume most of those first SB's were probably worse.

Also, 2 years ago is arguably worse.

Bigboy10182000 said:
Unrelated post but---Does this Super Bowl have the 2 worst WR cores ever in a SB?
Shows you how important the QB position is and why you shouldn't pay WRs in this era.

GoBirds said:
Bigboy10182000 said:

Exactly....he won't be getting a Russell Wilson deal, it would be the Andy Dalton deal with plenty of outs for the team. We can't just let every QB go once their rookie deal is up to not pay them.
Why would Foles sign an Andy Dalton deal? If the Eagles wanted to do that they would offer the deal now when Foles still has a year left on his rookie contract. Dalton signed his deal with one year remaining on his rookie contract. Instead the Eagles are going to wait until the end of this year when Foles will be 2 months from UFA. Again, why would Foles sign a team friendly deal at that point? Any agent worth his weight would advise Foles to wait and field other offers. At that point, the Eagles won't have any other viable options.

If by some miracle Foles did sign for 17M in committed cap space, that is a lot. Especially for a guy who is only healthy for 8-10 games a year. They currently stand at 92M in cap hits for 29 players in 2016. Add a Foles 17M hit and your at 109M for 30 players. That doesn't even count contracts for Maclin, Cox or Kendricks. Again, you better be sure Foles is the guy if you are committing that much space to him.

GoBirds said:
Bigboy10182000 said:

Why would Foles sign an Andy Dalton deal? If the Eagles wanted to do that they would offer the deal now when Foles still has a year left on his rookie contract. Dalton signed his deal with one year remaining on his rookie contract. Instead the Eagles are going to wait until the end of this year when Foles will be 2 months from UFA. Again, why would Foles sign a team friendly deal at that point? Any agent worth his weight would advise Foles to wait and field other offers. At that point, the Eagles won't have any other viable options.

If by some miracle Foles did sign for 17M in committed cap space, that is a lot. Especially for a guy who is only healthy for 8-10 games a year. They currently stand at 92M in cap hits for 29 players in 2016. Add a Foles 17M hit and your at 109M for 30 players. That doesn't even count contracts for Maclin, Cox or Kendricks. Again, you better be sure Foles is the guy if you are committing that much space to him.
If Foles is named the starting QB for this season he is getting a raise. If he gets a raise before being named the starter he is going to be the starter. NO way he starts game one without a deal before that. No chance at all.

Your top paragraph is filled with a lot of speculation on your part and questions fitting those thoughts.

10-12 other teams manage a "hit" like we would be paying. Thats almost half the league, I'm thinking we'd be able to as well.

Snotbubbles, on 28 Jan 2015 - 09:30 AM, said:
GoBirds said:
GoBirds, on 27 Jan 2015 - 5:39 PM, said:
Bigboy10182000 said:
Bigboy10182000, on 27 Jan 2015 - 5:30 PM, said:
Snotbubbles, on 27 Jan 2015 - 11:49 AM, said:
GoBirds, on 27 Jan 2015 - 10:56 AM, said:
CentralPA, on 27 Jan 2015 - 08:38 AM, said:CentralPA, on 27 Jan 2015 - 08:38 AM, said:

I think you are overvaluing the market for him right now and I also think he and the league knows this offense is very QB friendly. You have to pay your QB at some point though, no getting around it.

Snotbubbles, on 28 Jan 2015 - 09:30 AM, said:
GoBirds said:
GoBirds, on 27 Jan 2015 - 5:39 PM, said:
Bigboy10182000 said:
Bigboy10182000, on 27 Jan 2015 - 5:30 PM, said:
Snotbubbles, on 27 Jan 2015 - 11:49 AM, said:
GoBirds, on 27 Jan 2015 - 10:56 AM, said:
CentralPA, on 27 Jan 2015 - 08:38 AM, said:CentralPA, on 27 Jan 2015 - 08:38 AM, said:

I think you are overvaluing the market for him right now and I also think he and the league knows this offense is very QB friendly. You have to pay your QB at some point though, no getting around it.
There is a good chance that if he is playing very well during the season then he might hold off to see what better option/money he can get somewhere else when he hits FA but to me he doesn't seem like a guy who wants top dollar. He seems like a guy that wants fair compensation but wants to play for a team that can win. We've seen what he can do with a stable line which hopefully from the start he will have. Mortgaging a bunch of draft picks plus Foles for Mariota, while I like what I have seen, is a HUMONGOUS gamble that can set a team back years if it doesn't work. We've seen what Nick can do and we've seen his faults, but I think the guy is good enough that once this team gets the secondary right they're a SB contender.

Users who are viewing this thread