What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Decision Confirmed: University of South Florida (1 Viewer)

Eminence

Footballguy
Hello everyone,

It's your friendly neighborhood Eminence here to give you the scoop about the next exciting chapter of my life. I am currently 5 classes away from getting my Associates in Accounting. Once I run through these courses, I will be poised to transfer to a 4 year University to finish my Bachelors Degree. I plan on getting a Masters Degree at some point but that's an entirely different conversation.

Pretty much, I need your input in which school I should attend. I've got a short list of schools in both Illinois and Florida. Any and all input is appreciated:

Florida Gulf Coast University

Fort Myers, Florida

$4,191 in State.

$22,328 out of State

75% White

12,015 Students

My favorite pick of all of them. Dorms are literally steps away from the beach and there are a few Walgreens nearby for me to transfer to. Campus looks great from the pictures. 58% acceptance rate. 12,015 students seems decent sized.

University of Southern Florida

Tampa Bay, Florida

$4,506 in State.

$14,429 out of State

62% White

40,401 Students

My second favorite pick in Florida. It's more crowded and they only accept 38% of their applicants. This would definitely be a better party school than Florida Gulf Coast University. Might be too many other students for my liking. If it came between the above two schools, I'd go to whichever offers me the most in scholarships.

Florida Atlantic University

Boca Raton, Florida

$4,780 in State.

$17,234 out of State

54.5% White

30,308 Students

This is my "settling" school. My least favorite of the three schools but is the closest to the part of Florida in which my parents plan on moving. It's near a beach like the other school's but overall I don't prefer the area. If I can't get into the other two or the other two cost too much, I'll end up here.

Olivet Nazerene University

Bourbonnais, Illinois

$27,250 a year.

72.9% White

4,550 Students

If I don't end up moving to Florida, this is my target school. It's in the town which I live, so I won't have to worry about making new friends. It's a Christian University which is a huge plus and a lot of people send their daughters here to find husbands. There are 35% men and 65% women. Small campus, good Christian values.

Illinois State University

Normal, Illinois

$10,050 in State

$17,340 out of State

82.2% White

21,134 Students

There aren't many other options that I'd want to attend in Illinois. I'd really like to attend DePaul or Loyola but know there's not a chance in hell that I'd be able to afford or receive a decent scholarship to either of those schools. The only otiher school I'd attend in Illinois is ISU based on the fact it's a huge party school but I feel I'm past the "party" stage of my life. I'll be going in as a 24 year old Junior and might feel out of place as the entire campus is a "party town". Either way, there will be plenty of 18 year old girls to try to hook up with. :)

Please be kind and offer your best guidance. I plan to start applying to these schools as soon as I officially graduate from my current College. Any and all advice is welcomed.

Last edited by a moderator:
... there a reason the % of white people is highlighted as a key stat in every school listing? :oldunsure:

I live in Palm Beach County Em.... Moved here just over 3 years ago. I love it here. It's got all the florida you need with just enough New York/New England to feel like home.

FWTIW

How important are good Christian values when hooking up with 18 year olds? I assume you are planning a full baptism for them.

Come on man, it's the University of South Florida.

On the off chance that this isn't schtick, here is some REAL TALK:

I graduated with an accounting degree from USF. It's an incredibly difficult program that a LOT of people end up dropping out of. Most of my friends ended up taking the intro classes (needed for any business degree) at the local community college because they couldn't pass them at USF.

Getting a job out of the school is very competitive. You will need near perfect grades to get a job out of school. And it is very difficult to get near perfect grades.

If you really care about going to a "party school", I would strongly advise against USF. It has a decent party scene, but due to the difficulty of the accounting program you won't be able to enjoy it. Or more likely, you will enjoy the party scene and fail all of your classes.

Go to FAU or FGCU. Those schools are more your speed.

Still above average schtick imo. Effort is there, but material is running thin. Keep it real, keep it fresh, keep it flavorful.

Will all of these schools accept your associates degree and class work?

Also, are you going to go to Florida to work and wait for in state tuition?

I remember you. You are where sound advice goes to die. I'll save mine.
I don't get this. Every 6 months I come here and post the progress I've made in my life over the past 6 months based on your advice. Not sure where this stereotype of me not listening comes from, lol.

I graduated with an accounting degree from USF. It's an incredibly difficult program that a LOT of people end up dropping out of. Most of my friends ended up taking the intro classes (needed for any business degree) at the local community college because they couldn't pass them at USF.

Getting a job out of the school is very competitive. You will need near perfect grades to get a job out of school. And it is very difficult to get near perfect grades.

If you really care about going to a "party school", I would strongly advise against USF. It has a decent party scene, but due to the difficulty of the accounting program you won't be able to enjoy it. Or more likely, you will enjoy the party scene and fail all of your classes.

You talk about accounting like its an engineering or physics degree.

I disagree man. If there's any quality I have, I'm coachable. I know what's on the line when going to a University this time around and look forward to buckling down and setting myself up for the future.I appreciate your comments though. It's nuggets of information like this that I was looking for. Wherever I go, I want to have the right mindset.

Appreciate your post.

2 years plus 4 more or did the 2 reduce the amount of classes you'll need for undergrad?
It should be 1.5 - 2 years in. It depends on how the school accepts it. I'm transferring the degree, not the specific classes.

2 years plus 4 more or did the 2 reduce the amount of classes you'll need for undergrad?
It should be 1.5 - 2 years in. It depends on how the school accepts it. I'm transferring the degree, not the specific classes.
I got an associates before my bachelors. I had to show that each class I took was an equivalent to something in their program. The degree did not transfer. It has been a while, maybe things have changed.ETA: http://admissions.ku.edu/staff/credtran

Link to KU and how to tell what will transfer over.

Howard University FTW

Howard University is a private institution that was founded in 1867. It has a total undergraduate enrollment of 6,974, its setting is urban, and the campus size is 258 acres. It utilizes a semester-based academic calendar. Howard University's ranking in the 2015 edition of Best Colleges is National Universities, 145. Its tuition and fees are $23,970 (2014-15).

At Howard University, a historically black college in the heart of Washington, D.C., all students complete a universitywide core curriculum. Required courses include English composition and Afro-American studies. Students then have dozens of majors to choose from, including Afro-American studies, French and music therapy. Outside of class, Howard students may choose to get involved in one of the school's many fraternities and sororities, academic and professional organizations or social clubs, among other student groups. The university has its own stop on the city's public transportation system, the Metro, and students are also permitted to bring cars to school. (Freshmen, however, are not eligible for campus parking.) The school offers a range of male, female and coed housing, both on and off campus, though no student is required to apply for university housing.

Howard University has many graduate programs as well, including a School of Business, a School of Law, a College of Medicine and a College of Engineering, Architecture and Computer Sciences. Notable alumni of Howard University include former U.S. Supreme Court Justice Thurgood Marshall, Pulitzer Prize-winning author Toni Morrison and Emmy Award-winning actress Phylicia Rashad.

2400 Sixth Street NW

Washington, DC 20059

Phone: (202) 806-6100

2014-2015 Tuition & Fees

$23,970

Students

6,974 enrolled

33% male / 67% female

Admissions

Feb. 15 application deadline

57.0% accepted

2-1 women to men. Get yourself a fine sister Em.

You talk about accounting like its an engineering or physics degree.
I went to Rutgers where the business school was set up similarly: everyone took general classes across the different majors (cost accounting, finance, marketing, management, etc) and then did a year focused on classes specific to the discipline. All the accounting guys needed to take a class called Accounting Information Systems that might as well have been engineering or physics. The workload and time sink was incredible compared to the more advanced classes in the other disciplines. It caused a lot of people to switch majors and the ones who got through it generally saw their GPAs drop a bit.

Fast forward about 10 years after graduating and pretty much every accounting major I know has been out of actual accounting for 5 years.

you can't be serious right? You know that college degrees require a specific set of classes within the curriculum? Nobody is this stupid right?

you can't be serious right? You know that college degrees require a specific set of classes within the curriculum? Nobody is this stupid right?
Dude, don't talk to me. You're talking stupid and you're going to get hit.I talked to someone at my College yesterday.

Dude, don't talk to me. You're talking stupid and you're going to get hit.I talked to someone at my College yesterday.
Kitten has claws.

Kitten has claws.
Nobody is going to come in here and tell me I'm stupid from behind their little computer screen.

Kitten has claws.
Nobody is going to come in here and tell me I'm stupid from behind their little computer screen.
Of course they will son, that is the very nature of the internet. What you mean to say is that you will make idle threats at them when they do so.

I would've commented if you would've included percentages of alumni who have experience stocking tampons.

I got hit by a midget once. Didn't hurt at all.

Kitten has claws.
You're stupid and my monitors are large.

Users who are viewing this thread