What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

✈ 2015 NEW YORK JETS Thread (1 Viewer)

Fariq

Footballguy
Idzik, Tannenbaum, Ryan era thread can go bye-bye now.

Last edited by a moderator:
NICE... That old thread was holding the team back...

Can I suggest Capitalizing the title.... Even the Browns thread is Capitalized!!!!!

Early 2015 Prediction 9-7.

Oh.. and I might need a new Avatar this offseason.... MIGHT!

Something I found interesting: PFF graded the league's offensive lines, and they had the Jets at 13, with the biggest negative, unsurprisingly, being Winters. I guess it makes sense when you consider the YPC that Ivory put up, but I was still expecting the Jets to rank lower.

I will still refer to the new thread as JEt disaster until proven otherwise!

I am intrigued by a Quinn/K Shannahan pairing....

http://mmqb.si.com/2014/08/06/dan-quinn-seattle-seahawks/

Great Quinn Article..... Momentum and favoritism is building for Quinn and Maccagnan GM... So, I'm sure we'll get Doug Marrone and his Uncle...

The Next Great Coach He’s obsessive in the film room, and his defense embarrassed Peyton Manning on the game’s biggest stage. But what really has Seattle coordinator Dan Quinn on the fast track is the trusting relationships he builds with players
klemko_large2.png
By
Robert Klemko​
· More from Robert·

RENTON, Wa. — Here’s how championship teams are built.

Seahawks defensive coordinator Dan Quinn had been on the job less than two months when he got on the phone with Michael Bennett, then a free agent in Tampa Bay and a former Quinn pupil. It was March 2013, and the Seahawks had signed former Lions defensive end Cliff Avril less than a day before. With so many accomplished pass rushers on the Seattle roster, Bennett was skeptical. Quinn was emphatic.

“He convinced me he would use me to the best of my abilities,” Bennett says a year later, after inking a four-year contract extension. “I trusted that.”

Bennett signed on for one year, and Quinn delivered. He moved the 6-4, 274-pounder, undrafted in 2009, from end to tackle in nickel packages, and a year later the Seahawks rewarded his 8.5-sack season with a $28.5 million commitment.

“He’s not married to a scheme; he wants you to grow,” Bennett says of Quinn. “He changes with the players.”

Such is the hallmark of Quinn as a man and a coach—an open-mindedness that has vaulted the New Jersey native, at age 43, to the top of football’s unofficial power ranking of future head coaches. During what will likely be his last training camp as a coordinator, the brains behind football’s No. 1 defense sports a loose-fitting t-shirt, a weathered cap and a toothy grin.

dan-quinn-360.jpg
In Quinn’s first season as defensive coordinator, Seattle led the league in yards allowed and points allowed. (Ted S. Warren/AP)“One of the things I’ve learned from Coach [Pete] Carroll is how to use our featured players,” Quinn says. “There’s a tendency to say, oh, he doesn’t fit the system. Coach Carroll is more like, what does he have that’s special?”

That means letting oversized safety Kam Chancellor set the edge in the run game and putting cornerback Richard Sherman in press situations on the line of scrimmage, and of course, matching up Bennett on occasion against lumbering offensive guards.

“All of those guys are so unique,” Quinn says. “You ask yourself, how can we feature them?”

Quinn, who played at Salisbury State in Maryland and got his coaching start at William & Mary, learned how to analyze players for latent strengths from the 49ers’ Bill McPherson in his first year in the league, as a quality control coach in 2001. He learned the 3-4 from Nick Saban in Miami, and he learned how to manage a coaching staff as a coordinator for two seasons at Florida under Will Muschamp from 2011-12.

Yet his defining trait isn’t so much learned as it’s a consequence of compulsion.

Says Bennett, “He’s a master in the film room.”

For Dan Quinn to become the Next Big Thing in coaching, his defense had to leave no doubt in Super Bowl XLVIII against Peyton Manning. In Quinn’s mind, that meant watching two years’ worth of Manning snaps in the week after the NFC Championship Game.

That’s every snap Manning had yet taken for the Denver Broncos, watched, re-watched and mentally catalogued; 1,479 throws, 967 handoffs, 131 touchdowns, 24 interceptions and more audibles than there are minutes in a day.

Says a close friend of Quinn’s, “He’s definitely an obsessive.”

I want to help Dan get whatever job he wants,” Carroll says. “He’s going to be a head coach very soon.

While Quinn was studying, the Browns couldn’t wait. They’d interviewed him once following the regular season, and he planned to turn down a second interview request until after the playoffs. Before the Seahawks won it all, Cleveland inked Bills defensive coordinator Mike Pettine, who led a 20th-ranked defense which broke the franchise record for sacks (57) in a 6-10 season. The Vikings brought Quinn in as a finalist and passed in favor of longtime Bengals coordinator Mike Zimmer.

Pete Carroll was frustrated for Quinn, yet relieved for the Seahawks. Two years after watching Gus Bradley leave for the Jaguars’ head-coaching job, he would have a returning defensive coordinator for the title defense. Quinn, on the coaching fast track, hasn’t spent longer than two seasons in a city since 2004.

“It was a coup to get him back last year, much less this year,” Carroll says. “But I don’t want to look at it that way. I want to help Dan get whatever job he wants because he’s a great coach.

“Our situation in the season worked against him. We played so late that people had to make decisions. Teams get antsy, seeing coaches start to get hired and they couldn’t wait for him, but he’s going to be a head coach very soon.”

MORE 'HAWKS
Robert Klemko visited Seahawks camp in Renton, Wash., to see how the Super Bowl champions are preparing for their title defense. FULL STORY

For the Seahawks, losing Quinn would likely mean the promotion of Rocky Seto, the defensive backs coach who had the peculiar title of Defensive Passing Game Coordinator added to his nameplate this offseason. In that case, Quinn would leave behind one of the most talented defensive rosters in football—one largely assembled by Bradley in his four seasons in Seattle. Quinn’s recruitment and development of Bennett and Avril pushed them over the hump, but the evaluation of draft talent isn’t yet a strongpoint on the coach’s résumé. Ditto for offensive game-planning, for obvious reasons. His approach to the other side of the ball is likely to be influenced by the personnel already in place in a new city. He lists New Orleans among the offensive schemes he respects the most.

Any job he takes in a year, Quinn says, will rely on connections like the one he’s built with Bennett.

“It’s about being developmental,” Quinn says. “How much can you find out about this player? And what can you draw out of him? It takes a lot of time and effort. Those relationships are really important.”

Hopefully the Jets show some patience and wait Quinn out while the other teams rush to fill their spots. I'd feel much better if they had a GM in place first anyway.

I just find it funny that you know if they hadn't fired Idzik, they definitely would have hired Quinn already. I hope that's the result anyway, though.

I just find it funny that you know if they hadn't fired Idzik, they definitely would have hired Quinn already. I hope that's the result anyway, though.
I could be wrong, but would they even be allowed to hire him now? They could interview him during the WC weekend window - but I'm guessing it would be frowned upon at least to hire a guy who's team is still competing for a Super Bowl.

I could be wrong, but would they even be allowed to hire him now? They could interview him during the WC weekend window - but I'm guessing it would be frowned upon at least to hire a guy who's team is still competing for a Super Bowl.
Im pretty sure he cant receive or accept a formal offer until eliminated.....I'm also sure if he is the Jets guy it has been communicated to him through back channels. Question may be if Shanny is willing to wait if Quinn wants him on board.

I'm not sure if they'd be allowed to formally hire him yet, but I doubt he'd be willing to formally agree yet, because it would look bad. But I'm sure that if both sides want an agreement, they have made that known to each other.

It is interesting, because not one HC hire has been made yet; everyone is waiting on Quinn. Once that ball drops, there will be a mad scramble. I don't think we are really going to see any hires until Seattle is eliminated, so while I get it may be great for the Jets to wait, they likely could sign #2 on their list right now. If they do not get Quinn, who knows who they get??

Honestly, if Seattle wins this weekend, and Baltimore loses, I think they should strongly consider Kubiak for the HC role and get him locked up while others are waiting.

One name that seems to have cooled over the last week or so, is Darrell Bevell. Curious what Jets fans would think of him...I don't know much about him, but I don't find his offense to be "ground breaking" in regards to ingenuity.

The Jets are hosting Texans director of college scouting Mike Maccagnan for a second interview for their general-manager vacancy on Friday.

Maccagnan is one of seven candidates, but the only one yet to be asked back for a second sit-down. He's being pegged as the heavy favorite to succeed John Idzik. Maccagnan has strong ties to Charley Casserly, who is one of Jets owner Woody Johnson's two right-hand men in this hiring process. Maccagnan has been described as a "brilliant" talent evaluator and heavy into analytics.

MCguidance said:
Mike Maccagnan

Quinn

Shanahan

Who is the QB? Gradkowski?
Is it just me or does it seem like the Jets are the most likely landing spot for Famous Jameis?

Looks like Mariotta will go 1st overall. I'm not sure any of the other top 5 will be in the market for a QB that early, which means he should be on the board at 6.

MCguidance said:
Mike Maccagnan

Quinn

Shanahan

Is it just me or does it seem like the Jets are the most likely landing spot for Famous Jameis?

Looks like Mariotta will go 1st overall. I'm not sure any of the other top 5 will be in the market for a QB that early, which means he should be on the board at 6.
I feel the Titans should not pass on Winston.

MCguidance said:
Mike Maccagnan

Quinn

Shanahan

I said this in the old thread, but I doubt the Jets take a QB this year. Most GMs don't get a chance to draft 2 QBs in the first round, and once you take a QB early, the QB is linked with the GM. I doubt the new GM will want to be tied to Winston; I'd expect the Jets to take a QB next year assuming Geno doesn't play particularly well, and this year, I think they spend the off-season adding other talented players.

Jets 2015 salary cap outlook. Currently have 50 million in cap room. If they cut Harvin and Chris Johnson, that's 63 MILLION DOLLARS in cap room. Hell, even if they just restructure Harvin's contract, then there should be something around 55 million in cap room.

As bad as the Jets are there are a few big positives for any incoming coach-GM combo

$55 million in cap space

Good young talent on defense

No long term financial commitment to Geno

Playing in NY will immediately boost their national recognition

As bad as the Jets are there are a few big positives for any incoming coach-GM combo

$55 million in cap space

Good young talent on defense

No long term financial commitment to Geno

Playing in NY will immediately boost their national recognition
As much of a joke the jets have been these last couple years, they have a great opportunity to bring in good talent these next couple years.

Manish says that Dan Quinn is the heavy favorite to be the HC, and he'd want Kyle Shanahan as his OC. If that happens, and Maccagnan is hired as the GM, I would absolutely be on board.

Well, Chris Johnson was arrested last night. Not that an excuse was needed to cut him, but this can't hurt!

Like the new thread, right turn a new page. Good luck.

It just seems like Woody Johnson is defensive minded so I am expecting another defensive hire. What they need is a great QB an a great offensive mind.

I like Rex as a person, but I'm ok with this move. I don't see how Buffalo gets better. The offense will still be an issue, but he will be great for quotes and bringing attention to Buffalo.

I think it's a good hiring for Buffalo. I think there's something to be said for having a coach that the players actually like. Look at how quickly Marrone was trashed when he left Buffalo, whereas people only had good things to say about Rex. I assume the Bills will have a dominant defense with Rex there, but the team's ultimate success will be predicated on if their offense can do anything.

Like the new thread, right turn a new page. Good luck.

It just seems like Woody Johnson is defensive minded so I am expecting another defensive hire. What they need is a great QB an a great offensive mind.
The phrase "easier said than done" comes to mind, although I would certainly agree with you that it would be awesome for the Jets if they could get a great QB

really dont know a ton about Mac...what are the highlights...did he find Watts or something? Hou not exactly pro bowl drafts last few yrs...

heard he is close to marrone and kubiak...does this derail Quinn/shanny rumors?

that much cap space they make a run at Suh??
Possible, but not likely. The one area the Jets don't have gaping holes is on the DL, and there's no real reason to commit so much money to one player when they need help at like 5 other positions.
suh is a beast but with a solid defense as it is along with a likely defensive coach in Quinn, id rather them spend the big $ on offense....or at least not on the DL which already has 2 studs in d Rich and Wilk....along with a very good Snacks....gotta spread the $ around

really dont know a ton about Mac...what are the highlights...did he find Watts or something? Hou not exactly pro bowl drafts last few yrs...

heard he is close to marrone and kubiak...does this derail Quinn/shanny rumors?
He was the coordinator of college scouting for Houston in 2011. Therefore, he had some role in drafting Watt. Remember, though, that Watt was drafted 11th overall. It is not as if he was a gem unearthed in the 6th round. Everybody knew who he was. I like that the Jets signed a GM with a personnel background. How good is Maccagnan? It is tough for anybody outside of the Texans front office to know because we just do not know which players Maccagnan recommended and who he advised Rick Smith (and Kubiak and O'Brien) not to draft.

that much cap space they make a run at Suh??
Possible, but not likely. The one area the Jets don't have gaping holes is on the DL, and there's no real reason to commit so much money to one player when they need help at like 5 other positions.
suh is a beast but with a solid defense as it is along with a likely defensive coach in Quinn, id rather them spend the big $ on offense....or at least not on the DL which already has 2 studs in d Rich and Wilk....along with a very good Snacks....gotta spread the $ around
Yep. Assuming Quinn's the hire, I think he'll want to get pieces similar to what he has now in Seattle, and I think #1 on that list will be a safety who can cover, so I fully expect them to make a run at McCourty. I just don't see DL being a priority for the Jets in the FA market.

I like how woody has handled this search and how he handled the press conference. Hiring these two seasoned guys was a great move, and now i have some hope he can get a solid personnell guy in there, put in some good scouts, and bring in what looks like a bright mind at head coach.

witha ton of cap space, a high pick, there is some hope in jetland...

According to Mike Francesa, Charie Casserly had a plan to go for a Maccagnan/Marrone combo, but Woody did not get a comfort level with Marrone during interview. Ironic that Marrone might have left Buffalo thinking he could get Jets job, which opened the door for Rex to get a new job, while Marrone may not have one now.

Users who are viewing this thread