What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The Dez Bryant call (1 Viewer)

G

General Tso

This one will be debated ad nauseous I'm sure. For this topic can we focus on the rules as outlined in the rule book? Here is the applicable rule from the NFL Rulebook:

COMPLETED OR INTERCEPTED PASS

Article 3 Completed or Intercepted Pass. A player who makes a catch may advance the ball. A forward pass is complete (by the offense) or intercepted (by the defense) if a player, who is inbounds:

(a) secures control of the ball in his hands or arms prior to the ball touching the ground; and

(b) touches the ground inbounds with both feet or with any part of his body other than his hands; and

© maintains control of the ball long enough, after (a) and (b) have been fulfilled, to enable him to perform any act common to the game (i.e., maintaining control long enough to pitch it, pass it, advance with it, or avoid or ward off an opponent, etc.).

Note 1: It is not necessary that he commit such an act, provided that he maintains control of the ball long enough to do so.

Note 2: If a player has control of the ball, a slight movement of the ball will not be considered a loss of possession. He must lose control of the ball in order to rule that there has been a loss of possession.

If the player loses the ball while simultaneously touching both feet or any part of his body to the ground, it is not a catch.

Item 1: Player Going to the Ground. If a player goes to the ground in the act of catching a pass (with or without contact by an opponent), he must maintain control of the ball throughout the process of contacting the ground, whether in the field of play or the end zone. If he loses control of the ball, and the ball touches the ground before he regains control, the pass is incomplete. If he regains control prior to the ball touching the ground, the pass is complete.
My question is, does the act of catching a pass end when a football move is made, and does lunging for the end zone constitute a football move? A football move is defined elsewhere as an act common to the game. If Dez made a football move lunging towards the end zone, isn't the catch then completed, meaning that the maintaining control piece while contacting the ground is no longer applicable?

Also, is there enough clarity with the rule, and indisputable evidence within the replay, to overturn the call on the field?

Discuss. In a civilized manner hopefully.

Last edited:
Similar play yesterday in the NE BAL game, Amendola laid out and caught the ball with both hands, pulled it to his chest before he hit the ground, when he hit the ground he pulled one hand off the ball but never moved his other hand. The ball never moved in relation to his hand however it did move obviously from him hitting the ground. He never lost possession of the ball at any point.

Originally ruled a catch, was challenged and overturned, the explanation said that because he removed his other hand he never had possession of the ball.

Very interesting interpretations of the rule.

Hey, can someone start ANOTHER thread based on the correct interpretation of possession in the GB/Dallas game?
At least in this one you'll be arguing the right topic.
And hopefully you won't be posting any more crybaby nonsense.
:lmao:

Crybaby for what? I could care less about the Cowboys. I went into a thread talking about whether or not a rule should be changed and talked about why I thought the rule should be changed. You went into a thread talking about whether or not a rule should be changed and proceeded to talk about how the call was correct according to the rule....which was already conceded by the topic of the thread and just about everyone in it.

Hey, can someone start ANOTHER thread based on the correct interpretation of possession in the GB/Dallas game?
Actually, the only crybaby type responses thus far have been from the people who think the overturn was called correctly.
and it was. Not sure if you'll find one pro site that says that the call was NOT correctly interpreted by rule. If anyone crying, it's you because you can't seem to get over it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Actually, the only crybaby type responses thus far have been from the people who think the overturn was called correctly.
and it was. Not sure if you'll find one pro site that says that the call was NOT correctly interpreted by rule. If anyone crying, it's you because you can't seem to get over it.
Oh please, get a grip. I could care less who won that game. And by the way, there are a lot of people debating this subject, and many people already who are questioning the call saying a football move was being made. If you don't want to talk about it and learn the rules, just leave.

Why cant we have a civil discussion about this rule? Maybe the ones who don't wanna talk about it and just call names should just stay out.

Mods? I've been given warning points or whatever for less than some of the crap that's being thrown out.

Oh please, get a grip. I could care less who won that game. And by the way, there are a lot of people debating this subject, and many people already who are questioning the call saying a football move was being made. If you don't want to talk about it and learn the rules, just leave.
You're the one who doesn't want to let it go - the call, BY RULE, was interpreted correctly and ruled on correctly. You won't find many pro sites that agree with you that it wasn't.

he didn't make a football move. He jumped, caught it, and fell.
I think this is the crux of the debate. Was he falling to the ground or was he making a football move. My opinion is the that the lunging for the end zone is a football move, as it is an act common to the game. You see people lunging the ball towards the goal line all the time. And in my opinion the was clear evidence on the videotape showing Dez doing exactly that. I'd even argue that the football move was what caused him to lose possession. If he hadn't lunged forward and just tucked the ball away with both hands I don't think we are even having this discussion. Also, if you look at the replay you will see him lift up his arm with the ball in it in an effort to stretch out even further toward the goal line. He lifts his arm up - a clear football move.

Why cant we have a civil discussion about this rule? Maybe the ones who don't wanna talk about it and just call names should just stay out.

Mods? I've been given warning points or whatever for less than some of the crap that's being thrown out.
From spinning last week's call to crying for the Mods. Not a good look.

Mike Perreira in his post game analysis of the play conceded that his lunging toward the goal line might be considered a football move. It was his opinion, though, that he wasn't lunging for the goal line.

As a Detroit fan, I have absolutely no sympathy for Cowboys fans. Even if it was the wrong call, they won't change it now, so just get over it.

Cowboys VP and member of competition committee says Bryant made 3 football moves. No doubt this will be getting reviewed again in the offseason.https://twitter.com/edwerderespn/status/554399943146733568
Good, impartial analysis.
Just curious, honestly, is your analysis impartial? Are you a Packers fan or a Cowboys hater? Or neutral like me?
No need to answer. I just saw our profile and you're a Packer fan. By the way, your avatar is outstanding. Yours too joffer.

Last edited:
Cowboys VP and member of competition committee says Bryant made 3 football moves. No doubt this will be getting reviewed again in the offseason.https://twitter.com/edwerderespn/status/554399943146733568
Just curious, honestly, is your analysis impartial? Are you a Packers fan or a Cowboys hater? Or neutral like me?
You're neutral? You're the guy in the GOAT thread saying Rodgers isn't that great. The guy in the Packers/Dallas thread rooting against the Packers. You're not anymore neutral than ITS.

No need to answer. I just saw our profile and you're a Packer fan. By the way, your avatar is outstanding. Yours too joffer.
Now I feel like an ### for jumping all over your ####.

the catch is a football move after the catch?
He's a Cowboys VP. He doesn't know football. It's like 95% of that team's fanbase.
He needs to focus on upgrading the party bus and taking better care of the refs this offseason.

the catch is a football move after the catch?
He's a Cowboys VP. He doesn't know football. It's like 95% of that team's fanbase.
He needs to focus on upgrading the party bus and taking better care of the refs this offseason.
Maybe that'll actually buy them a Super Bowl. But I doubt it.

Real time I thought it was a catch - 5 years ago it was a catch - but watching replay I knew it would be overturned and I think it was the right call. Would suck if I were a Cowboy fan though without a doubt. I was actually pulling for the Cowboys because I really don't want to see Seattle in the SB and I thought Dallas had a better chance of beating SEA than GB does. Have a feeling GB will get pummelled next week unless Rodgers gets healthy.

Real time I thought it was a catch - 5 years ago it was a catch - but watching replay I knew it would be overturned and I think it was the right call. Would suck if I were a Cowboy fan though without a doubt. I was actually pulling for the Cowboys because I really don't want to see Seattle in the SB and I thought Dallas had a better chance of beating SEA than GB does. Have a feeling GB will get pummelled next week unless Rodgers gets healthy.
Could you imagine if the refs let it slide and didn't correct the call after last week.

Could you imagine if the refs let it slide and didn't correct the call after last week.
That would have been BRUTAL, the fix most definitely would have been in.

Now I feel like an ### for jumping all over your ####.
that's not you in the avatar is it? Cuz if so, you can jump all over my ### anytime you want sister.

They need to alter this rule. In real life he caught it and dove for the end zone. In rule book terms, he didn't complete the catch. So, lol the rule seems in order.

The problem with the rules as currently written make very little sense to the average fan. If 9 out of 10 people watching the play think it is a catch, maybe the rules need to be rewritten. I consider myself much more than an average fan (30 years playing FF and coached for 15+ years), and I thought that was a catch. BTW, not a Cowboy fan.

It was the correct call, as a Packer fan I am happy that this rule exists. With that said, it needs to be changed. I thought they were going to revisit it after the Calvin Johnson non catch a couple years ago.

Oh please... is the rule bs? Sure. That said, watching the play over and over again, it's clear the refs made the right call. That wasn't a catch with the interpretation of the rules.

Dez goes up for the pass and as he's coming down to the ground falls and the ball hits the ground and is dislodged from his arm. It's as simple as that. Rotating mid-air and reaching for the pylon isn't a football move. Had he landed and taken one or two balanced steps then lunged for the sideline this would be a different story. But he was never on balance, he landed off balance and took two half-steps as he was falling. There was no way that was a catch with the rules.

The rule needs to change, but the call was right with the current rules of the NFL. If Dez just cups that ball into his chest it's a catch and the Cowboys probably win the game. Instead he got greedy and they lose. He should know better and understand that if he extends and loses the ball it's not a catch.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow, Jason Garrett just said that the refs told him that lunging the ball toward the goal line was not an act common to the game.

There was enough info in the replay to ALLOW an interpretation that it was an incomplete pass. The interpretation went against DAL. It's a crappy rule, ( I think there's probably very few people defending the actual rule) but.....it's an NFL rule.

Users who are viewing this thread