What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

It's been a great run Peyton - now enjoy retirement.. (2 Viewers)

There are at least 15 quarterbacks that would have this team at 6 - 0. Look at the teams he has faced.

Baltimore 1 - 5

Kansas City 1 -5

Detroit 1 - 5

Minnesota 3 - 2

Oakland 2 - 3

Cleveland 2 - 4

And maybe only the Vikings defense is the only good one in the bunch.
wow, 5 HORRIBLE defenses. Imagine when he plays a good one.

There are at least 15 quarterbacks that would have this team at 6 - 0. Look at the teams he has faced.

Baltimore 1 - 5

Kansas City 1 -5

Detroit 1 - 5

Minnesota 3 - 2

Oakland 2 - 3

Cleveland 2 - 4

wait. it's been said in this forum that the Browns Defense is great. :confused:

Baltimore 1 - 5

Kansas City 1 -5

Detroit 1 - 5

Minnesota 3 - 2

Oakland 2 - 3

Cleveland 2 - 4

wait. it's been said in this forum that the Browns Defense is great. :confused:
by who?

Very close to cutting him in my keeper league. His future value is nil, and I can't even count on him for any "now value" at this point. Sad.

It's interesting that despite a 6-0 start, Kubiak is getting toasted in both the Peyton and Denver RB threads. It all comes back to him.

Rotoworld:

Peyton Manning - QB - Broncos

Peyton Manning's 72.5 quarterback rating is the second lowest amongst qualified passers.

Only Ryan Mallett's 63.6 mark is worse. Through six starts, Manning has a 7:10 TD:INT ratio. That's as many picks as he threw during his entire historic 2013 season (and 48 fewer touchdowns). Manning now has the Broncos' bye week to review film and re-evaluate his approach, but the problem remains his "arm strength." It's simply non-existent. Manning won't be a QB1 against the Packers in Week 8.

Oct 20 - 1:50 PM

This thread is a very interesting collection of opinions and I think it's really going to get fun if green Bay and new england come in and beat them.

It will be an interesting thought or two when people are faced with the reality that the team is a dead man walking; able to best lesser talents but clearly outmatched when great offensive teams score on them.
:shrug: even those of us who think Peyton can be the qb for a playoff team don't think the team is better than the pack or Patriots.

I might take Peyton over Stafford and cutler still (in the real thing)
I'm happy to be wrong.

This thread is a very interesting collection of opinions and I think it's really going to get fun if green Bay and new england come in and beat them.

It will be an interesting thought or two when people are faced with the reality that the team is a dead man walking; able to best lesser talents but clearly outmatched when great offensive teams score on them.
:shrug: even those of us who think Peyton can be the qb for a playoff team don't think the team is better than the pack or Patriots.

I'm happy to be wrong.
I was surprised by the degree of how easy the Broncos made it look last night.

Overall, I still saw the warts that are now in Manning's game. I think he is clearly more efficient and more decisive at this point than he was in this system 6 weeks ago but the physical limitations are still popping up.

The difference is the Broncos defense. That's not breaking new news but they showed it last night, which might actually be that the Packers are not what we thought they were. They are pedestrian in offensive passing and Lacy's issues are documented well.

The Broncos look the part of a strong contender but the real "reveal" from last night might be that the Packers won't have a chance without home field advantage. I don't think they can beat the Panthers in Carolina. Probably can't win a shootout against the Giants. If they catch the "good" Falcons, probably can't beat them either. IF the Cowboys can make the playoffs, they can't beat a Romo+Dez Cowboys team. At this point, I basically think the Packers are paper tigers.

having said that, I might need to R-E-L-A-X. After all, it was after a terrible showing in prime time last year that the Patriots righted their ship. I was just not expecting that performance at all last night.

Last edited by a moderator:

I'm happy to be wrong.
I was surprised by the degree of how easy the Broncos made it look last night.

Overall, I still saw the warts that are now in Manning's game. I think he is clearly more efficient and more decisive at this point than he was in this system 6 weeks ago but the physical limitations are still popping up.

The difference is the Broncos defense. That's not breaking new news but they showed it last night, which might actually be that the Packers are not what we thought they were. They are pedestrian in offensive passing and Lacy's issues are documented well.

The Broncos look the part of a strong contender but the real "reveal" from last night might be that the Packers won't have a chance without home field advantage. I don't think they can beat the Panthers in Carolina. Probably can't win a shootout against the Giants. If they catch the "good" Falcons, probably can't beat them either. IF the Cowboys can make the playoffs, they can't beat a Romo+Dez Cowboys team. At this point, I basically think the Packers are paper tigers.

having said that, I might need to R-E-L-A-X. After all, it was after a terrible showing in prime time last year that the Patriots righted their ship. I was just not expecting that performance at all last night.
agreed on the first bolded section - looking back, the Pack hadn't played a great team yet. Even Seattle isn't what we thought they were.

On the 2nd bolded section, disagree. Rodgers might set a new record if the Pack played the Giants (sadly, this won't happen until the playoffs)

Last edited by a moderator:
When asked about his struggles (according to colinsworth), Manning said that his inaccuracies have been related to indecision. I think that Manning's body has been breaking down on him for a long time; he has been getting by purely on mastery of his system. He knows precisely when his receivers will be where they need to be, and can anticipate his throw.

The WCO relies more on quick reads after the snap, as opposed to knowing exactly where the holes will be pre-snap. This forces Manning to adjust what he wants to do, and in essence, he has to think instead of just react. That split second of hesitation forces him to get the ball out quicker than it should, which means the mechanics break down a bit and leads to inaccuracies.

Further, the receivers are all learning new route combinations and reads, and the line is trying to get in sync with the WCO and ZBS. It makes perfect sense that they should struggle, especially early.

I think what we saw last night was Manning becoming more comfortable in Kubiaks WCO, and Kubiak is doing a better job of adapting his system to Manning.

If he can keep that up as the season goes on, and especially when it gets cold, will remain to be seen. The key take-away, IMO, is the running game was looking much better. The outside zone stretch runs are really coming along. As those continue to improve, that will force defenses attention, and will really start to open things up even more down-field.

The knock on Manning was always that he put up video game passing numbers in the regular season but his team's fell short when it counted most.

Now he's on a team where the defense and running game is primary and he's getting knocked for not being a prolific passer.

I think he'd rather have a Joe Flacco season stat line and another SB ring.

Manning knows his skills have deteriorated because of age. He's just fortunate enough to be smarter than everyone on the field and sidelines. That's giving him life longer than most guys with an arm like his. He looked great last night, though. Not 2005ish great, but great nonetheless.

Manning knows his skills have deteriorated because of age. He's just fortunate enough to be smarter than everyone on the field and sidelines. That's giving him life longer than most guys with an arm like his. He looked great last night, though. Not 2005ish great, but great nonetheless.
As much as I like Peyton Manning and I liked him a lot more when he played for the Colts than I do now, but I disagree with the smarter than eveyrone on the field comment. Hell, he set a record for pick 6s in a season and probably holds the all-time record. He used to frustrate me to no end by throwing the pick 6. He did it against NE the year he won the Super Bowl and was fortunate enough to overcome it. He did in the Super Bowl against the Saints that sealed their fate. He is the king of untimely interceptions. I"m not so sure that is smart.

What would be a good over/under for Peyton's TD total this year... let's say, 20?

Joking, but on pace for much less actually. :yes:

This is by far the worst game in Peyton Manning's career. He's never had a game where he threw for less than 95 yards, and he's never had a game where he had 4 INTs and no TDs.

Tried to find the record for "highest INT/Completion ratio" but all I could find was "INT/Attempt" which Peyton isn't close to today.

Any stat geeks able to find the former?

I wonder if this is the worst passing game statistically of all-time.
Searching PFR, I came up with:

11/9/1975, Kim McQuilken of the Atlanta Falcons (5-for-26 for 42 yards and 5 INTs) vs. the Vikings

10/19/1972, Dan Pastorini of the Houston Oilers (3-for-21 for 31 yards and 4 INTs) vs. the Raiders

Users who are viewing this thread