What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Ezekiel Elliott, NE (8 Viewers)

Faust

MVP
Ohio State's Ezekiel Elliott best player on field in CFB title game

Excerpt:

In a game littered with stars, it was a 19-year-old running back who shined brightest.

Ezekiel Elliott was the best player on the field in Ohio State's 42-20 win over Oregon Monday night in the CFB Playoff National Championship Game. He was the clear difference in the game, rushing for 246 yards and four touchdowns against a Ducks defense that was baffled by the run all night.

Elliott's running style reminds me of Fred Taylor's. He was explosive between the tackles as well as outside. He gave the Buckeye's favorable situations throughout game, and was money in short yardage.

He's one of many young Bucks players who should keep Ohio State in contention for the next few years. The Buckeyes might have problems keeping the sophomore around that long.

Last edited:
Rotoworld:

Ohio State sophomore RB Ezekiel Elliott has run for 992 yards since the start of November.

NFL.com's Bucky Brooks dropped that jaw-dropping stat while discussing the matchup between Ohio State's rushing attack and Oregon DEs DeForest Buckner and Arik Armstead. "With [Cardale] Jones capably moving the offense as a runner and thrower, the Buckeyes have the ability to torment the Ducks on zone-read plays with Elliott attacking a variety of gaps between the tackles," Brooks wrote. "Facing the Buckeyes' dynamic 1-2 punch in the backfield, the Ducks will need huge games from their defensive ends to contain a potent zone-read attack. Buckner and Armstead must drop the hammer on the quarterback on QB keepers, yet remain in a position to run down Elliott on dive plays between the tackles. If the Ducks can discourage Jones from running the ball early in the game, they can focus their efforts on slowing down Elliott as the Buckeyes' feature runner." The 6-foot, 225-pound Elliot is on quite the heater, rushing for 450 yards in his past two games against Wisconsin and

Jan 11 - 11:30 PM

Source: NFL.com

I love his running style. It's starting to look like the 2016 draft class is going to be RB heavy again.

Reminds me of J. Hill. I like him a lot. He's catapulted up devy rankings from these past 2 games for sure. Maybe the #2 RB now behind Chubb.

Dane Brugler @dpbrugler · 12h 12 hours ago

When Zeke runs behind his pads like that, good luck trying to stop him. So balanced w/ his forward lean. Plus vision. Wow. He's a Sunday RB
Dane Brugler @dpbrugler · 12h 12 hours ago

(And yes, Zeke is a true sophomore so not eligible for NFL Draft until 2016)

2015 NFL Draft: Buckeyes' Joey Bosa, Ezekiel Elliott roast Ducks, tease NFLExcerpt:

For all of the attention heaped upon quarterbacks Marcus Mariota and Cardale Jones during the inaugural College Football Playoff championship game, it was performances by two "others" that might have NFL scouts most excited.

The pros will have to wait, however, as Ohio State's Ezekiel Elliott and Joey Bosa are each just true sophomores, despite their clear NFL ability.

Elliott ran for a national championship game-record 246 yards and four touchdowns on 36 carries, earning offensive MVP honors to spark Ohio State's 42-20 victory.

The 6-foot, 225 pounder got stronger as the game went on, demonstrating a unique blend of burst and power to drive through would-be tacklers.

After Oregon initially bottled him up for short gains on his first three carries and had taken a quick 7-0 lead on a Mariota touchdown pass, Elliott re-established momentum for the Buckeyes, exploding for a 33-yard touchdown to tie the game.

It was one of seven runs of at least 10 yards for Elliott in this game, who unofficially ended his sophomore campaign with a jaw-dropping 1,878 rushing yards and 18 scores.

Kid is for real. Been saying all year that we need to give him the ball more if we want to reach our potential as a team and man did he take off. I would say he's the most underrated player in all of college football but at this point, he isn't underrated. Everyone sees it now, not just Buckeye fans.

Powerful, quick, possesses great vision, breakaway speed. He is also a great blocker. Urban Meyer said "Ezekiel Elliott plays as hard as any back I've ever witnessed without the ball." Really nothing to dislike about the kid. Best part is, we get him for at least another year. Likely only one more though.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow I really have always liked OSU, but don't exactly catch many games. I just assumed Elliot was a senior (oops) Is there another link discussing his highlights (high school etc.?)

I personally think 200 yds on Bama should qualify Elliot to go Pro, w a paid home Instructor to finish his 4 yr degree

p.s. Im a lil gunshy after possibly being wrong about Crowell earlier this yr. The first time I watched some footage, I was like Holy sheet (Hes got the IT factor) then I rewatched the same footage, and it all looked more blocked/ or got what was given (So, Elliot is my fav back at this time)

I'm as big a fan as any of Elliot. His running style is awesome the way he runs behind his pads. However, doesn't anyone else recognize the fact that his Oline was KILLING it up front? Elliot was getting 8-10 yards sometimes before contact! I read somewhere that 170 of his yards vs. Oregon came before contact.

I'm not saying Zeke isn't great, but let's not underestimate the fact that his Oline was dominating down the stretch run.

I'm as big a fan as any of Elliot. His running style is awesome the way he runs behind his pads. However, doesn't anyone else recognize the fact that his Oline was KILLING it up front? Elliot was getting 8-10 yards sometimes before contact! I read somewhere that 170 of his yards vs. Oregon came before contact.

I'm not saying Zeke isn't great, but let's not underestimate the fact that his Oline was dominating down the stretch run.
cant you say that about any college RB on great teams?

The OSU oline was considered terrible early in the season and they gelled nicely

cant you say that about any college RB on great teams?

The OSU oline was considered terrible early in the season and they gelled nicely
I think any Oline is going to take some time to gel, especially one with 4 new starters.

I think you could say that about backs on all great teams, but these performances by OSU's line down the stretch was just dominating. They were really getting a push.

OSU was on their 3rd QB (who once had QB2 designation) I do not believe many Defenses were selling out to stop the OSU running game..

This could both explain the OLine gel time, and the resulting rushing yds..

http://youtu.be/r-mQ3zeDMGw << 15 MPH in 1.5 Seconds (that's Lambo speed!)

fwiw the above is actually an ESPN video

http://youtu.be/w2Vqd5U_bOg (6' 225 pds)

Its too bad, hes not draft eligible (imho) The biggest plus is that hes viewed as a every down RB

It almost sounds like he could be converted to WR (not that Id hope to see such a move)

He put up 200 plus rushing yards in the 3 biggest games of the season, and in the playoffs against supposedly the best team in the country from the best conference

He reminds me of David Wilson when he was at VT. Wilson looks bigger, but the highlights I seen of Wilson was his last year of school when he was 21. This kid is still 19 and I am thinking he will put on some lbs in the next couple of years.

He reminds me of David Wilson when he was at VT. Wilson looks bigger, but the highlights I seen of Wilson was his last year of school when he was 21. This kid is still 19 and I am thinking he will put on some lbs in the next couple of years.
I can see the comparison in running style. They both ran with surprising power and a ton of speed. Elliot is built for the power aspect much better though. Watching him in the big ten, I thought he was built more like a scat back, but he looked a lot bigger against Oregon. I was surprised to find out he is 6'0 225 lbs (compared to Wilson at 5'10, 205).

Rotoworld:

Ohio State sophomore RB Ezekiel Elliott showed off "a unique blend of burst and power to drive through would-be tacklers" in the championship game, wrote CBS Sports' Rob Rang.

Elliott earned offensive MVP honors by scampering for 246 yards and four touchdowns on 36 carries against the Ducks. On the season, the stud true sophomore finished with 1,878 rushing yards and 18 scores. The 6-foot, 225-pound Elliott ran for an insane 1,238 yards from the start of November on, leading Ohio State to the title. He could enter next season as the 2016 draft's best RB prospect. NFL media analyst Daniel Jeremiah compares Elliott's running style to Fred Taylor.

Source: CBS Sports
Jan 14 - 7:33 PM

I can see the comparison in running style. They both ran with surprising power and a ton of speed. Elliot is built for the power aspect much better though. Watching him in the big ten, I thought he was built more like a scat back, but he looked a lot bigger against Oregon. I was surprised to find out he is 6'0 225 lbs (compared to Wilson at 5'10, 205).
You beat me to it. Wilson is 5'9" 205 and Ezekiel Elliott is at 6'0" 225 lbs as a 19 year old. I can see similarities in their running styles but I just think Elliott is a much more powerful runner, as mentioned above.

Rotoworld:

Orlando Sentinel's Matt Murschel reports that Ohio State sophomore RB Ezekiel Elliott is the early favorite among the preseason Heisman Trophy contenders, according to an online oddsmaker.
"Elliott, who was named the most valuable player of the National Championship Game after rushing for a record 246 yards and four touchdowns, comes in as a 6/1 favorite in the first Heisman odds of the season put out by Bovada, Murschel wrote. The 6-foot, 225-pound RB had a tremendous season for the Buckeyes, rushing for 1,878 yards with 18 touchdowns. The Ohio State prospect has a chance to be the top back in the 2016 draft class, if he decides to declare next year.

Source: Orlando Sentinel
Jan 30 - 2:36 PM

Rotoworld:

Orlando Sentinel's Matt Murschel reports that Ohio State sophomore RB Ezekiel Elliott is the early favorite among the preseason Heisman Trophy contenders, according to an online oddsmaker.

"Elliott, who was named the most valuable player of the National Championship Game after rushing for a record 246 yards and four touchdowns, comes in as a 6/1 favorite in the first Heisman odds of the season put out by Bovada, Murschel wrote. The 6-foot, 225-pound RB had a tremendous season for the Buckeyes, rushing for 1,878 yards with 18 touchdowns. The Ohio State prospect has a chance to be the top back in the 2016 draft class, if he decides to declare next year.

Seems like a terrible bet. Since 2000 there has been only 1 non-QB to win the Heisman (Mark Ingram in 2009).

I mean, honestly, as soon as a starter is named at QB for OSU, that guy probably jumps Ezekiel instantly.

Rotoworld:

Seems like a terrible bet. Since 2000 there has been only 1 non-QB to win the Heisman (Mark Ingram in 2009).I mean, honestly, as soon as a starter is named at QB for OSU, that guy probably jumps Ezekiel instantly.
Reggie Bush?

Rotoworld:

Seems like a terrible bet. Since 2000 there has been only 1 non-QB to win the Heisman (Mark Ingram in 2009).I mean, honestly, as soon as a starter is named at QB for OSU, that guy probably jumps Ezekiel instantly.
Reggie Bush?
Didn't he have it taken away?

Rotoworld:

Ohio State RB Ezekiel Elliott will have a second surgery on his left wrist, according to Dave Biddle.
Elliott fractured the wrist during preseason camp and had the first surgery in August. He still played in the first game of the season despite only carrying the ball on his right side. A full recovery did not take place, so that is why a second surgery is necessary.

Source: 247 Sports
Feb 17 - 12:56 PM

Rotoworld:

Ohio State RB Ezekiel Elliott's "power and speed could be make him excellent fit" for the Cowboys in 2016, according to CBS Sports' Rob Rang.

"If Darren McFadden is healthy, he could make Jerry Jones look like a genius for letting division rival Philadelphia reward DeMarco Murray after a breakout 2014. Anything other than a breakout season from McFadden could force the Cowboys to look to the draft for help. Elliott's power and speed could be make him excellent fit," Rang wrote. The Ohio State prospect was highly productive last season, rushing for 1,878 rushing yards, with 18 scores as a true sophomore. The 6-foot, 225-pound Elliot should have a chance to be college footballs' most dominant back in 2015.

May 6 - 3:12 PM

Rotoworld:

ESPN's Todd McShay mocked Ohio State junior RB Ezekiel Elliott to the Texans at No. 15 in a recent mock draft.

"Elliott was one of the Buckeyes' star performers during their championship run, scoring four touchdowns in their title game win over Oregon," he wrote. "The Texans could make him their running back of the future, with Arian Foster an unrestricted free agent in 2017." It's fair to say that Elliott is firmly on the Round 1 line heading into the season. Rotoworld's Josh Norris slotted him No. 26 to the Colts in his own mock exercise. "Elliott’s final stretch of the season was unreal," he wrote. "Ohio State is returning so many talented players, so expectations are high for the running back’s upcoming season."

Source: ESPN Insider
May 13 - 9:01 PM

Rotoworld:

Ezekiel Elliott - RB - Buckeyes

The Dallas Morning News tabbed Ohio State junior RB Ezekiel Elliott as the early No. 1 target of the Cowboys in next year's draft.

"If the Cowboys are still in need of a workhorse back next year, this Heisman Trophy contender could be the guy," wrote Jon Machota. The 6-foot, 225-pound Elliott rushed for 1,878 yards and 18 touchdowns last season, including an insane 1,238 yards from the start of November on. Dallas did not address its weak RB corps in the draft, so the position does figure to be of the utmost importance next offseason.

Source: Dallas Morning News

May 15 - 7:46 PM

Rotoworld:

Ohio State junior RB Ezekiel Elliott debuted at No. 19 on Mel Kiper's first 2016 Big Board.

"Elliot is a nimble runner with outstanding vision and good change-of-direction quickness, but he's also quietly about 225 pounds and will drop his shoulder on defenders," Kiper wrote. "Hopefully the Buckeyes keep his odometer down when they can and he'll have a healthy junior season." The 6-foot, 225-pound Elliott rushed for 1,878 yards and 18 touchdowns last season. ESPN's Todd McShay mocked him to the Texans at No. 15 in a recent mock draft.

May 16 - 10:18 PM

Rotoworld:

Fox Sports' Kevin Causey believes Ohio State junior RB Ezekiel Elliott is a candidate to go No. 1 overall.

Ki-Jana Carter was the last runner to go No. 1, doing so in 1995. "The value of NFL running backs has decreased in the modern-day NFL, but with Todd Gurley going 10th in the 2015 NFL Draft despite being injured, the times could be changing," Causey wrote. "It would take a special back for someone to think about taking one with the No. 1 pick. Elliott looked very special in the second half of 2014. He ran for over 200 yards in each of his last three games when his team needed him the most. He looks like the type of running back that you can build a team around." We can't say we agree. Gurley is a superior prospect to Elliott and wouldn't have been in consideration for the top slot even if he'd stayed healthy.

Source: Fox Sports

May 16 - 7:35 PM

Rotoworld:

NFL Media ranks Ohio State junior RB Ezekiel Elliott as the No. 6 offensive player in the country.

"For all the talk about the way Cardale Jones performed in three starts at quarterback to close out Ohio State's season, it was Elliott who raised his game even more over the same stretch," wrote College Football 24/7 writer Chase Goodbread. Indeed, Elliott went off for 20-220-2 against Wisconsin, 20-230-2 versus Alabama and 36-246-4 across from Oregon. "This fall, he'll be a staple of the Buckeyes' offense no matter who is at quarterback," wrote Goodbread. The 6-foot, 225-pound Elliott rushed for 1,878 yards and 18 touchdowns last season collectively.

May 24 - 2:35 PM

Rotoworld:

More than half of Ohio State junior RB Ezekiel Elliott's "18 scoring runs covered double-digit yards," according to ElevenWarriors.com

The 6-foot, 225-pound Elliott also had five touchdown covering more than 30 yards with scoring runs of 85,81,65,44, and 33 yards. The Ohio State prospect had a solid season rushing for 1,878 yards and 18 touchdowns last season. In the last three games for the Buckeyes, Elliot put up more than 200 yards against each opponent. It's safe to say that Elliot should be on his way for another monster season in 2015.

Source: ElevenWarriors.com
Jun 3 - 4:01 PM

Rotoworld:

NFL Media draft analyst Lance Zierlein ranks Ohio State junior RB Ezekiel Elliott as the No. 1 College Football running backs to watch in 2015.

"Elliott has the prototype build and combines burst with an urgent running style. Elliott's playing style should translate quickly to the NFL, but he could stand to improve his vision as a runner this season," Zierlein wrote. The 6-foot, 225-pound Elliott was impressive at the end of the season averaging over 230 rushing yards per game over the last three games for Ohio state. There is no reason that Elliot shouldn't start where he left off from last season, which could set him nicely for a Heisman run.

Jun 23 - 2:05 PM

Rotoworld:

Ohio State junior RB Ezekiel Elliott "needs to stay healthy, but he should also get plenty of rest as the Buckeyes run over a number of teams in 2015," notes ESPN's Mel Kiper.

The analyst ranks Elliott as the best underclassmen running back prospect in the 2016 draft. "Elliott is nimble enough to turn a small crease into a huge gain, and he's deceptively powerful at 225 pounds," Kiper wrote. The 6-foot, 225-pound Elliott rushed for 1,878 yards (9.2 yards per carry) and 18 touchdowns last season for the Buckeyes.

Jul 8 - 7:03 PM

Rotoworld:

Ohio State junior RB Ezekiel Elliott could project "as one of the top running backs" and possibly be a "first round pick in the 2016 class," CBS Sports' Dane Brugler observes.

"He displays outstanding vision to quickly read blocks and rarely runs with hesitation, bouncing away from would-be tacklers without slowing down. Elliott needs to become more consistent as a receiver and needs refinement as a blocker, but it's tough to find weaknesses in his run style, which is why he could projects as one of the top running backs and possible first round pick in the 2016 class," Brugler wrote. If the 6-foot, 225-pound Elliott can leave off from where he ended last season, the Ohio State prospect has as shot at a Heisman run in 2015. Elliot finished the season rushing for 1,878 yards, with 18 touchdowns for the Buckeyes.

Jul 14 - 3:01 PM

Rotoworld:

Ohio State junior RB Ezekiel Elliott's "size is average, [but] he can exploit a hole inside or hop outside to rip off chunks of yardage, which makes him a very valuable player," NFL Media draft analyst Chad Reuter wrote.

The 6-foot, 225-pound Elliott rushed for 1,878 yards (9.2 yards per carry) and 18 touchdowns last season for the Buckeyes while handicapped with a feeble left wrist. "The quarterback situation receives all of the attention in Columbus, but Elliott is the engine that makes the offense run," Reuter wrote.

Jul 26 - 2:55 PM

Rotoworld:

Ohio State junior RB Ezekiel Elliott forced 41 missed tackles in 2014, according to Pro Football Focus.

On the season, Elliott rushed for 1,878 yards and 18 touchdowns on 273 carries. Elliott really didn't get it going until the fourth game against Cincinnati, so it is absolutely possible he puts up better production this season. Josh Norris recently looked at a large number of Big 10 prospects and was amazed by Elliott's skills. He creates so many yards for himself and maximizes his blocking by reading positioning and strengths.

Source: Jack Farrell on Twitter

Aug 2 - 10:54 AM

Rotoworld:

Ohio State junior RB Ezekiel Elliott "will be the bell cow for an Ohio State team that returns four starting offensive linemen and figures to be in College Football Playoff contention throughout the season, which is a good recipe for a Heisman winner," ESPN's Phil Steele writes.

Due to those factors, Steele ranks Elliott as the No. 3 preseason Heisman candidate. We might be inclined to rank Elliott No. 1. To end the year, as his injured wrist improved, Elliott averaged 232 yards and scored eight touchdowns against Wisconsin, Alabama and Oregon. We think more of the same is in the offing this fall. Elliott has one preternatural gift which cannot be taught nor measured, so it's often underrated: He reads blocks and defender movement in real time like a quarterback, creating yards that should absolutely not be there.

Aug 16 - 1:33 PM

Users who are viewing this thread