What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Ezekiel Elliott, NE (6 Viewers)

I do find it funny that Jerry said that they don't need the rushing champion to win the Super Bowl, when the 3 times the Cowboys won the Super Bowl under Jerry, guess what, they had the rushing champion! I am not criticizing what he said, just thought it was funny.

Zeke is no Emmitt....on, or off the field
Zeke is the more talented RB, obviously.  Off the field, do we know this for sure?  Emmitt was a semi regular member of the White House if I recall?  Can't find reference to it now, but I know it was assumed/known back then. 

I think if we could go back in time and apply today's social media scrutiny to 90s NFL athletes, not many would be left standing.

Last edited by a moderator:
Bringing in a rb that played for them before to run in camp and compete for a roster spot is not “ panicking and shopping around for a rb  just in case”
I agree that they are not panicking, but this is definitely a "just in case" move and there is nothing wrong with that.

Zeke is the more talented RB, obviously.  Off the field, do we know this for sure?  Emmitt was a semi regular member of the White House if I recall?  Can't find reference to it now, but I know it was assumed/known back then. 

I think if we could go back in time and apply today's social media scrutiny to 90s NFL athletes, not many would be left standing.
Ha!  I'll take Emmitt every time over Zeke

In a 10 team redraft league (free draft that I did early in June for the fun of it) I selected Zeke. I got a few trade offers for him and accepted the following just two days ago.

I gave: Zeke & Drake

I got: David Johnson, Josh Jacobs, Darrell Henderson.

Glad to get rid of him if this mess could go on for months. I don't know if this is a good marker for what you could get for him but thought I'd share.

In a 10 team redraft league (free draft that I did early in June for the fun of it) I selected Zeke. I got a few trade offers for him and accepted the following just two days ago.

I gave: Zeke & Drake

I got: David Johnson, Josh Jacobs, Darrell Henderson.

Glad to get rid of him if this mess could go on for months. I don't know if this is a good marker for what you could get for him but thought I'd share.
That's a really good trade for you

I earned the 4 spot in one of my bigger stake leagues later this month. If Zeke is there at 4 I might pass and take Kelce or OBJ. I know they are both reaches but I like them both more than any other WR. I might be talked into David Johnson though. 

Guess the main point is if this #### is still going on when I draft, Zeke will more than likely have slid. Barkley, CMC and Kamara will go first.

ESPN's Josina Anderson reports Ezekiel Elliott will not play in 2019 without a new contract.

Anderson's source went on to say it is not likely Elliott's holdout continues into the regular season because Jerry Jones wants to get something done prior to Week 1 -- NFL Network's Jane Slater reports Dallas has a "generous" offer on the table. Perhaps that is true, but Le'Veon Bell taught fantasy players to take this kind of statement seriously. At this point, Elliott has to be moved down draft boards.

SOURCE: ESPN

Aug 6, 2019, 9:10 AM ET

Without knowing anything, I feel like a deal will get done- sooner rather than later.

JJ is aged and knows this is quite possibly the last go round. the Cowboys are 100% built to win now. JJ is not going to let this opportunity go by. He has a history of paying his star players. All this other stuff is just noise, trying to communicate through the media as a means of controlling the narrative. He has referenced his age and the idea this is his last shot at another ring- he's going to end up paying Zeke, likely closer to Zeke's asking price than the top 5ish money supposedly offered. 

JJ is not disciplined as an owner and he will likely give in. Think Zeke gets his contract within a week of the regular season opener. Between now and 8/25 really doesn't matter much. So long as Zeke is working out, he'll be fine, he doesn't need camp and preseason stuff.

Jerry will cave sooner rather than later, but he will regret it within a year or two, unless they somehow win the Super Bowl this year. 

Without knowing anything, I feel like a deal will get done- sooner rather than later.

JJ is aged and knows this is quite possibly the last go round. the Cowboys are 100% built to win now. JJ is not going to let this opportunity go by. He has a history of paying his star players. All this other stuff is just noise, trying to communicate through the media as a means of controlling the narrative. He has referenced his age and the idea this is his last shot at another ring- he's going to end up paying Zeke, likely closer to Zeke's asking price than the top 5ish money supposedly offered. 

JJ is not disciplined as an owner and he will likely give in. Think Zeke gets his contract within a week of the regular season opener. Between now and 8/25 really doesn't matter much. So long as Zeke is working out, he'll be fine, he doesn't need camp and preseason stuff.
I know nothing either, but I think you're right.  And I think Zeke understands Jerrah's motivation to win another SB on a limited timeline.  Thats why hes sticking to his guns, and saying nothing......he holds the cards.

Elliot has to be on the roster for 6 regular seasons to get an accrued season for free agency. So he will report to play the final 6 games of the season. If he sits out the first 10 games he loses about $2.4 million of his $3.8 million salary this year. That's not a whole lot in the scope of the NFL. If he wants to play hardball and be the top paid running back, he has the leverage of the Cowboys risking a chance of going to the Super Bowl this year if they don't pay what he wants. If Elliot won't settle for anything less then being the top paid running back, then I don't think he will get a new deal and he will hold out 10 games. I don't think the Cowboys will pay Elliot as the top paid Running Back, based on what both Jones have said to date.

I disagree that Zeke has a lot of leverage.  I get the Cowboys can't win a SB without him, but they probably aren't going to win it with him either.  Zeke is playing chicken with Jerry but that's not leverage IMO.

Zeke can hold out, plays 6 games to accrue a season and earn 1.2 M this year (based on your numbers).  Then I assume he holds out next year too and plays 6 games to accrue another season?  Then he can be franchise tagged for 3 years.  In those three years he doesn't have to play to accrue seasons so lets say he sits out the entire time.  So theoretically he can withhold his services for basically 5 years (playing only 12 games total) and earning ~3M.  Or he can accept he's not going to be the highest paid RB and get way more.  I see no leverage here.

Eagles’ front office.

JJ’s Cowboys front office.

Elaborate. :lmao:

The amount of time you spend talking about the Cowboys is truly weird. 

And since you brought it up, you let the wrong coach go (Frank Reich,) and let the leader and heart of your offense walk out the door in favor of a broke up hillbilly who doesn't get along well with others. 

You got swept last year. Elaborate. 

I disagree that Zeke has a lot of leverage.  I get the Cowboys can't win a SB without him, but they probably aren't going to win it with him either.  Zeke is playing chicken with Jerry but that's not leverage IMO.

Zeke can hold out, plays 6 games to accrue a season and earn 1.2 M this year (based on your numbers).  Then I assume he holds out next year too and plays 6 games to accrue another season?  Then he can be franchise tagged for 3 years.  In those three years he doesn't have to play to accrue seasons so lets say he sits out the entire time.  So theoretically he can withhold his services for basically 5 years (playing only 12 games total) and earning ~3M.  Or he can accept he's not going to be the highest paid RB and get way more.  I see no leverage here.
Well, if he got franchised tagged for three years he would be earning top 5 average at his position. So much more than $3M. Regardless, I may over stated that he has a lot of leverage. But the fact that he does not have a big salary this year which makes holding out much easier, and the fact that the Cowboys have built their offense around him and they would be a Super Bowl contender if he plays, means he does have some leverage. If he is dead set on being the highest paid running back then I think he would hold out until he has to play to accrue a season of service. Then it's up to the Cowboys to decide if they are willing to pay top dollar or not to potentially save their chance at a Super Bowl this year.

The amount of time you spend talking about the Cowboys is truly weird. 

And since you brought it up, you let the wrong coach go (Frank Reich,) and let the leader and heart of your offense walk out the door in favor of a broke up hillbilly who doesn't get along well with others. 

You got swept last year. Elaborate. 
Rico Gaithers 

Connor Williams

Dallas Goedert

Super Bowl LII

This used to be more challenging.

Elaborate.

Tony Romo said it's a "coin flip" if Ezekiel Elliott will play Week 1.

Romo obviously knows both sides of the negotiating table, but we're not sure if anyone truly knows when Zeke shows up. Jerry Jones was confident that a deal would be done but did leave open the possibility of Zeke's holdout extending into the regular season. For now, it's a waiting game and a semi-dangerous one at that. Elliott is a risky first-round pick, but we anticipate a deal to get done in the not too distant future.

SOURCE: Matthew Mayer on Twitter

Aug 13, 2019, 1:29 PM ET

ESPN's Adam Schefter reports holdout Cowboys RB Ezekiel Elliott currently weighs in the "low 220s," which would be his lowest weight since his rookie season.

As the baseball cliché goes, Elliott is in the "best shape of his life" as he seeks a new deal. Cowboys owner Jerry Jones has been brave so far, resisting his lifelong urge to splurge on his in-house stars. The sides do not seem particularly close to an agreement.

SOURCE: Adam Schefter on Twitter

Aug 15, 2019, 2:50 PM ET

First three games are NYG, Miami and Washington - 3-0 looks pretty good. Zeke better get in before that.
Of course,  1-2 or 0-3 and Zeke is looking much better.  He really has nothing to lose by sitting out.  He plays for the same contract if he loses the gambit.  Maybe better if he is on the right side.

I see it a little differently though.  Zeke is only going to sit out so many games such that when he comes back, he will accrue the season.  Jerry Jones already hinted that he needs Pollard to play well for a 'period of time' and then he can serve as a complimentary back to Zeke. 

I don't think Pollard is built for a long season.  He looked quick, but took some hits last preseason game.

This is just my looking into my crystal ball, but I think Pollard early, Zeke late.  Maybe too late for most fantasy owners.      

Of course,  1-2 or 0-3 and Zeke is looking much better.  He really has nothing to lose by sitting out.  He plays for the same contract if he loses the gambit.  Maybe better if he is on the right side.

I see it a little differently though.  Zeke is only going to sit out so many games such that when he comes back, he will accrue the season.  Jerry Jones already hinted that he needs Pollard to play well for a 'period of time' and then he can serve as a complimentary back to Zeke. 

I don't think Pollard is built for a long season.  He looked quick, but took some hits last preseason game.

This is just my looking into my crystal ball, but I think Pollard early, Zeke late.  Maybe too late for most fantasy owners.      
What does he do in 2020... hold out again?

[Mortensen] It drew a few laughs but neither @EzekielElliott nor agent Rocky Arceneaux found @Cowboys Jerry Jones' quip "Zeke who?" as amusing. Arceneaux: "I didn't think it was funny and neither did Zeke - we actually thought it was disrespectful."

https://twitter.com/mortreport/status/1163507807087484928?s=21

Users who are viewing this thread