What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Ezekiel Elliott, NE (7 Viewers)

have dmc but just grabbed morris as well in case a suspension is announced this week...too much dead wait to be carrying, this needs to be settled soon. 

From what I understand, the SDNY would be bound by the precedent established by the 2nd Circuit's decision in the Brady case, which essentially confirmed that the CBA agreed upon by Zeke's union (NFLPA) gives Goodell nearly unlimited authority under Article 46. 

With that precedent, from their own appellate circuit, the SDNY court should have to conclude that the NFLPA would be hard-pressed to show that their case is likely to be successful.  That would be what prevents Zeke (if he fails to do so) from getting an injunction.

ETA-at this point, if you own Zeke, you're probably better off holding him.  If you were to try to trade him, I doubt you could get fair value.  You'd have to give him away at a discount, & I think the prospect that he keeps the injunction or gets another from the SDNY court would outweigh the return you'd get for him in a trade.
:thumbup:

If Zeke is indeed suspended, those who choose correctly between Morris & McFadden could get a big midseason boost to help cover for injuries & byes.

The article that was linked by VikingFrog (https://sportsday.dallasnews.com/dallas-cowboys/cowboys/2017/09/14/cowboys-continue-go-alfred-morris-switch-darren-mcfadden-rb2) seems to indicate Morris beat out McFadden for the backup job, which is what I suspected.

I wouldn't say it's a lock, though. Unless we get direct confirmation, we probably won't know how things will shake out until it happens.

Last edited by a moderator:
Bayhawks said:
From what I understand, the SDNY would be bound by the precedent established by the 2nd Circuit's decision in the Brady case, which essentially confirmed that the CBA agreed upon by Zeke's union (NFLPA) gives Goodell nearly unlimited authority under Article 46. 

With that precedent, from their own appellate circuit, the SDNY court should have to conclude that the NFLPA would be hard-pressed to show that their case is likely to be successful.  That would be what prevents Zeke (if he fails to do so) from getting an injunction.

ETA-at this point, if you own Zeke, you're probably better off holding him.  If you were to try to trade him, I doubt you could get fair value.  You'd have to give him away at a discount, & I think the prospect that he keeps the injunction or gets another from the SDNY court would outweigh the return you'd get for him in a trade.
We'll have to agree to disagree on this one.  And the reality is that no one knows what a judge will do.  But injunctions get entered all the time where a party only establishes a possibility rather than a reasonable likelihood of ultimate success on the merits.  Given that that the NFL suffers no harm if an injunction is entered and Zeke suffers irreparable, by definition, harm if he is suspended and then wins, I think the Court will be a bit flexible on the success-on-the-merits prong of the analysis.

The Brady case isn't conclusive as to the merits here.  The Brady case, from what I remember, basically said that the Courts won't overrule the NFL's determination -- even if wrong or the Court would rule otherwise -- if due process was afforded.  Here, I think that Zeke attacks the due process prong.  In that case, the Courts could consistently rule in favor the NFL (in Brady) and in favor of Zeke in this case.

We'll have to agree to disagree on this one.  And the reality is that no one knows what a judge will do.  But injunctions get entered all the time where a party only establishes a possibility rather than a reasonable likelihood of ultimate success on the merits.  Given that that the NFL suffers no harm if an injunction is entered and Zeke suffers irreparable, by definition, harm if he is suspended and then wins, I think the Court will be a bit flexible on the success-on-the-merits prong of the analysis.

The Brady case isn't conclusive as to the merits here.  The Brady case, from what I remember, basically said that the Courts won't overrule the NFL's determination -- even if wrong or the Court would rule otherwise -- if due process was afforded.  Here, I think that Zeke attacks the due process prong.  In that case, the Courts could consistently rule in favor the NFL (in Brady) and in favor of Zeke in this case.
When do you anticipate a ruling, Late Sunday night or Monday morning seem like a good bet. The PR Friday at 5:00pm works as well.

When do you anticipate a ruling, Late Sunday night or Monday morning seem like a good bet. The PR Friday at 5:00pm works as well.
I wouldn't expect the Court to time its ruling based on PR concerns.  So I don't think that a late Friday night decision is any more likely than any other time.  I think that the Court will issue a decision when it's ready to issue the decision.  But, if I had to guess, I would think an early week ruling makes sense.  It gives the Court the weekend to reflect on its decision and finalize the ruling and it gives the parties a few days to react and take necessary actions after the decision has been rendered.  

EDIT - I just realized that this is a holiday weekend.  So you probably won't see anything until Tuesday of next week.  The Court will be closed Monday (except for emergent matters) and Court staff, clerks, etc. will want to leave early on Friday.  No one's life is in jeopardy in the absence of an immediate ruling so there's not a need for the Court to rush a ruling.  So I think that the Court will wait until next week. 

I will defer to your opinion.  I’m basing mine on things I’ve read, rather than any kind of personal experience/knowledge.  That being said, I’ll look it up (when I have time & if I remember), but I don’t think the Brady decision made any mention of due process. IIRC, it was basically “the NFLPA said Goodell could handle player discipline, so he gets to handle player discipline.”

Hankmoody said:
And if he does, it's like getting a free WR for 5 of them.  There's a non-zero chance Watson outscores Hunt ROS, and a pretty reasonable chance he scores within a couple of PPG of him ROS.  That's approaching Zeke for free.  That trade is a no-brainer in my mind.
I did the trade. No guts, no glory! If Zeke does get suspended my other rb's are Martin, Lynch, and Kamara. I think I can get by with them especially if Kamara keeps getting more playing time.  

I will defer to your opinion.  I’m basing mine on things I’ve read, rather than any kind of personal experience/knowledge.  That being said, I’ll look it up (when I have time & if I remember), but I don’t think the Brady decision made any mention of due process. IIRC, it was basically “the NFLPA said Goodell could handle player discipline, so he gets to handle player discipline.”
I haven't looked at the Brady decision but your recollection could be correct.  I think that the issue is that arbitration decisions will be respected -- even if wrong -- provided there is nothing significantly flawed in the process. So, for Brady, the Court upheld the decision.  Here, the Texas Court took quite a few digs at the process, which could lead one to believe that a Court could rule that the process was flawed and thus unworthy of being upheld.  However, even in that case, it would likely just go back to the NFL for another hearing.  Zeke could very well lose but I think that he could present an argument that there's a non-zero chance that he wins.  In that case, notwithstanding strong language in the applicable standard about a reasonable likelihood of success, the Court may focus on relative harms and not want to disturb the status quo until the matter can be fully developed.

My feeling my is mcfaddens the guy to step into the zeke role, with Morris remaining the spell guy.  That said I picked up Morris to join MCF on my bench until this whole ship-show works itself out.  

I admit tracking Wallace here but it does seem like the jurisdiction issue is pretty straightforward and given that the decision should have come this past week. Now I'm wondering if other factors are being considered or some complex opinion is being written.

Tick tock, tick tock.

Keep flip flopping on whether or not to ditch DMC and Morris prior to kickoff and deal with other issues.

Roll of the dice thinking you can get either back in waivers if there is no decision (although Monday is a holiday for most so maybe this takes a couple more days).

Both could be useless as well. And, it's going to take two weeks plus for all of us to truly know who gets the majority of the carries since there is a bye week next week.

What's everyone doing?

Held DMC this long...seems silly to cut bait unless you really have some good options on the WW when news should be soon.

Tick tock, tick tock.

Keep flip flopping on whether or not to ditch DMC and Morris prior to kickoff and deal with other issues.

Roll of the dice thinking you can get either back in waivers if there is no decision (although Monday is a holiday for most so maybe this takes a couple more days).

Both could be useless as well. And, it's going to take two weeks plus for all of us to truly know who gets the majority of the carries since there is a bye week next week.

What's everyone doing?
Been hold alf since like week 2 then someone dropped dmc and I picked him up too. Ain't dropping till decision is out. 

He's not the same guy as last year...Am I crazy? 

You guys know they replaced two of the linemen and moved a guy from guard to RT, right? 

He still runs with power and speed but there isn't nearly as much space to run. 

He does seem to get winded more but I believe the Oline, opponants defensive gameplans to concentrate on stopping him and the OCs stubbornness to run each and every first down are more of the reason his numbers are down from last year. 

He's not getting through the trash at the first level like he did last year. Not nearly as many long runs to this point. He's had a few runs where an ankle tackle at the last moment prevented a huge gain.  The O-line has been reshuffled and gameflow has not been in the Cowboys favor like it was last year. The volume is keeping him as a high end RB1.

Long term- I still love him but don't see him replicating last year's numbers, even if he wins all the legal battles.

Watching him struggle to get to 100 yards and then seeing Dak take the ball away from him at the end of the game makes me wish I went with Leonard Fournette instead who is beasting and doesn't have any of the stupid legal woes.

Man, I still have no idea how this will turn out.

Only thing I'll say for sure is Zeke isn't getting out of it & will eventually have to serve his suspension.

As a Cowboys fan, I was of the opinion they should've not fought it & just taken the suspension at the beginning of this season for the sole reason they have a better shot at a Super Bowl next season.

Users who are viewing this thread