What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Ezekiel Elliott, NE (1 Viewer)

Pro Football Focus analyst Wes Huber wrote that Ohio State RB Ezekiel Elliott "offers the size-to-speed combination matched only by [Alabama RB] Derrick Henry and [Georgia RB] Keith Marshall within the class."
While Henry and Marshall might also be able to pull the size-speed dance ala Elliott, the Buckeye back has an unparalleled overall skill-set in "offer[ing] the blocking and receiving ability the others lack." An AFC RB coach recently said that he views the 6-foot, 225-pounder the same way he viewed future Hall of Famer Adrian Peterson when the latter was coming out of college. In Huber's eyes, Elliott's "cutback running-style flourishes with each touch and his NFL team will soon discover the impact he can provide to advance an offense into full gear."

Source: Pro Football Focus 
Apr 2 - 4:32 PM

Similarly to Adrian Peterson and Todd Gurley, Ohio State RB Ezekiel Elliott has been exempted from Todd McShay's don't-draft-a-RB-Round 1 rule.
"He's a total tone-setter in practices and games, with the offense often running through him," McShay wrote. "A true three-down back, Elliott runs with authority and plays with great patience and vision, showing natural (and underrated) pass-catching skills." The analyst goes as far as to say that he's "never seen anything like [Elliott's] run-blocking ability from the RB position and says the runner's "toughness cannot be overlooked."

Gurley and Bell the only sure ones.

Then personal preference between guys like DJ, Elliott, Freeman.  I'd take Elliott 3rd RB overall, but in a tier quite a bit below the top 2.
For the life of me, I cannot understand why people ignore Lamar Miller.  What more does a guy need to do?

There are still probably as many question marks around Miller as there are around Elliot, though I do agree Miller seems to be underrated. 

It has more to do with the pathetic dynasty RB landscape.  Who is worth taking above him?  It isn't like DJ or Freeman have much of a history or top pedigree.

id bet on Elliott outperforming either of those guys over the next 3-5 years all day.

tons of average low pedigree RBs have looked great in limited samples.  I'll bet on the Ferrari.
Soulfly is dead on. There is simply NO WAY you can take any rb that has never played a down in the NFL without even knowing what team he will play on and say is a top 3-5 RB. No way.  You've got the fever worse than the guy who wanted more cowbell if you do. Reality check is needed.

THe RB landscape is NEVER pathetic.  That is perception, not reality because I guarantee you all day long that every single time someone looks and tries to forecast that there are "not many good rbs" in fantasy (and someone does it EVERY year), that there will, without a doubt, be an Arian Foster, Thomas Rawls, Chris Ivory finally staying relatively healthy, etc, etc. 

RB is not an incredibly difficult position for RBs to play in the NFL. It is only staying healthy and actually being utilized in a fantasy-friendly way and with the trend to throw 66% of the time in the NFL, it is a straw grab. 

IN FF today, there is simply NO way I would get that excited about paying over the top prices and hitching a dynasty team long term to a rb.  It just isn't smart.  There are just too many guys winning leagues with Tim Hightower, chris Ivory, "guy off the wire" type of rb stables.  In any comprehensively scored league these days, Massive stud WR/TE combos is where it's at.  You hold an advantage there and you've always got a legit shot.  You can limp by with RB and you can flip a coin and sometimes win without investing super high on a QB but you can't win consistently with Brian Hartlines and Micahel Floyds and Dwayne Allens. 

Soulfly is dead on. There is simply NO WAY you can take any rb that has never played a down in the NFL without even knowing what team he will play on and say is a top 3-5 RB. No way.  You've got the fever worse than the guy who wanted more cowbell if you do. Reality check is needed.
Completely disagree with that, and all dynasty ADP info does as well.  Whether you like it or not Elliott is valued as a top 5 dynasty RB right now.  That's just a fact.

A 20 year old RB prospect getting picked in the top 10 of the NFL draft has huge value right out of the gate.

http://mizelle.net/mfl/2016/

There is some good ADP dynasty info.  Elliott is going as 3rd RB off the board.

Last edited by a moderator:

NFL Draft Scout's Frank Cooney cautioned that Ohio State RB Ezekiel Elliott's physical running style could signal a short NFL career.
Wrote Cooney, "Elliott may have shown scouts too much in a college career that included carrying or catching the ball more than 600 times. While that showcased his elite talent as a three-down back -- both running and receiving -- it also demonstrated he is all too willing to make contact rather than avoid it." The analyst is weary of Elliott's overtly physical style of play given the NFL's concussion concerns. The 6-foot, 225-pounder totaled 650 touches from scrimmage during his time with the Buckeyes. For context's sake, that is 31 more touches than fellow workhorse Derrick Henry received in his Alabama career. Henry accumulated over half of his touches in 2015, but that's a story for another day. Despite some concerns, Cooney still views Elliott as the best running back prospect in this draft class. "His toughness inside is reminiscent of Frank Gore," Cooney noted, "especially when he pops out the other side of a scrum."

Source: CBS Sports 
Apr 9 - 4:37 PM

TFY Draft Insider's Tony Pauline notes that the Cowboys "continue to be very high on [Ohio State RB] Ezekiel Elliott."
Pauline posted a few updates on the state of the Cowboy draft board earlier this week. To recap, FSU DB Jalen Ramsey is ranked No. 1 on their board, North Dakota State QB Carson Wentz is in their top-3 and they grade him as their top quarterback, the team is down on Ohio State DE Joey Bosa and Elliott remains a potential target at No. 4. Zeke will be visiting the Eagles, Dolphins and Bears in the coming days.

Source: TFY Draft Insider 
Apr 10 - 2:05 PM

As a long time Steelers fan Ike is an idiot...

As for the top5 Dynasty RB title already given to him, it's ridiculous.  I don't remember people saying that about Gurley last year, and he was a better prospect than Elliott by far.  All this RB landscape stuff is a load of garbage.  Find a good situation for a RB, hope he doesn't get hurt, and MAKE SURE HE CATCHES PASSES.  Sure Elliott looks like a great prospect but he's still that, a prospect.

You know absolutely nothing about his landing spot, locker room presence, attitude in the spotlight (although calling out the coaches at Ohio is a glimpse), but the NFL is completely different than college.  As great a prospect that T-rich was, he admitted he got caught up the spotlight and let too many things get to him.  Now we don't know for sure what his career would have been had he not done that, but it's at least a cautionary tale.  People were so quick to deem him the top dynasty guy already and he hadn't played a single snap.  There's tons of prospects who are already declared top5 at their position and they either didn't reach it or are mediocre players.  Sammy Watkins comes to mind as another.  Again, some wanted to declare him as a top5 guy and he's sort of settled as a pretty good WR2 if not a weak WR1.  The only guys in the last 5 years that lived up to their hype are Todd Gurley & Andrew Luck.  Elliott is the safest and most likely to be elite at this moment, but this overblown hype around him being as good as Gurley really irks me.  That's exactly what everyone is saying when you put him in the top tier of his position.  

You have to pay the price of the 1.01, not the price of a top RB.

As for the top5 Dynasty RB title already given to him, it's ridiculous.  I don't remember people saying that about Gurley last year, and he was a better prospect than Elliott by far.  
There were people ranking Gurley ahead of Bell as the No. 1 overall RB last offseason.

I don't add the rookies into my rankings until after the NFL draft but I don't think it's that outlandish to list him as a top 5 dynasty RB already. It comes down to personal preferences (upside/potential v. production/track record) and your assessment of his prospects. Plenty of players that had some showing of success at this level failed to follow up on it the flowing season, so how is assessing Elliot's future really all that much different.

Here's my current top 12 dynasty RBs - I'd say all except for Gurley and Bell (and even he suffered a pretty significant injury) all have serious question marks on some level.

Todd Gurley

LeVeon Bell

David Johnson

Eddie Lacy

Carlos Hyde

Lamar Miller

Melvin Gordon

Jamal Charles

Jeremy Hill

Davonta Freeman

Mark Ingram

Doug Martin

I would like to discuss that RB list of yours Doc but I don't want to hijack the thread. Do you have it posted somewhere else?

As a long time Steelers fan Ike is an idiot...

As for the top5 Dynasty RB title already given to him, it's ridiculous.  I don't remember people saying that about Gurley last year, and he was a better prospect than Elliott by far.  All this RB landscape stuff is a load of garbage.  Find a good situation for a RB, hope he doesn't get hurt, and MAKE SURE HE CATCHES PASSES.  Sure Elliott looks like a great prospect but he's still that, a prospect.
post-hype hype? revisionist hype? What's the most accurate term for this?

*EDIT* to clarify, I meant to highlight and respond to the idea that Gurley is a better prospect than Elliott, "by far"

I like Elliot and he is a good running back and seems to be a good person, but I love how these prospects get better and better as we get closer to the NFL draft.

It's just natural I suppose, but for me he has done nothing to change my mind as to the type of player he is or will be. I also think there are other backs that are not that far off from his talent in this class.
Care to drop a few names on us?

I guess it comes to me being more risk adverse than others.  The RB's that you listed Dr. Octopus is a decent list and I agree there's a lot of question marks, but all those guys have proven some level of consistency or dominance in the NFL, Elliott has not.  It's sort of "The Devil I know" type of deal in my mind.  

You guys may think I'm crazy, but honestly, I think Ezekiel Elliott is a better overall prospect than Adrian Peterson was when he was coming out of Oklahoma.

I don't know whether you are crazy or not, although your comment does call that somewhat into question. I would guess that your profile logo played a substantial role in reaching your conclusion.

Yesterday I heard Bill Polan on Sirius say that he thought E2 might be the best player in this year's draft. 
Haha -- it's certainly possible but I may be biased. Although I am talking about college...not what he has done in the league. 

Remember, AP never had two back-to-back 1800 yard rushing seasons. 

Any character red flags with this guy?  Or any rookies being discussed in the top 5 or so this year?
Zero.  The one flag (and it's only a flag because that's all there is to criticize on him) is that he criticized his coach after a loss to Michigan St where he only got 10 carries or so and they barely trailed.  He is squeaky clean and loves football.

If you were a Cowboys, I have one simple question. Why would you not want this guy? He's the best back the NFL has seen out of college since 2008. 

Zero.  The one flag (and it's only a flag because that's all there is to criticize on him) is that he criticized his coach after a loss to Michigan St where he only got 10 carries or so and they barely trailed.  He is squeaky clean and loves football.
Couldn't have said it better myself. Only 10 carries for the best back in the country is ridiculous. They would've been National Champions for a second year in a row if they let him run the ball. Even Urban said he regretted that. 

I saw him interviewed on the NFL Network and he seemed like the nicest guy ever. Fun loving, yet respectful and humble.

Dr. Octopus said:
I saw him interviewed on the NFL Network and he seemed like the nicest guy ever. Fun loving, yet respectful and humble.
Thanks for the information (to all above).  Kinda sucks, but in today's NFL, even as dynasty fantasy football owners, you have to take these things into account with your rookie picks. 

Thanks for the information (to all above).  Kinda sucks, but in today's NFL, even as dynasty fantasy football owners, you have to take these things into account with your rookie picks. 
Understandable. Especially when you're going to be shelling out tens of millions of dollars for your first round pick. 

Brendon1215 said:
You guys may think I'm crazy, but honestly, I think Ezekiel Elliott is a better overall prospect than Adrian Peterson was when he was coming out of Oklahoma.
Why do you say that?  As an NFL prospect?   A fantasy prospect?  As a runner?  Or as a complete RB?  (Run, catch, block)

cockroach said:
I have heard coaches say that his outburst was actually a positive. It showed leadership and character in the way he handled himself at that point forward. At minimum we can say the outburst showed E2 is a competitor. 

I actually think Jonathan Williams is on the same talent level as Zeke only his health being a concern, however the way people recover medically today and if my medical people signed off on him then to me I would see them as equals.

Kenneth Dixon has incredible explosion and vision and on tape I think Dixon is faster. I don't have the combine numbers sitting in front of me or their pro day numbers, but just what my eyes see tell me he can ball. I don't worry about small school players competition argument to much. You can ball or you can't. He also seems to catch the ball a little better.

I do think Zeke is the best back in the draft. I just don't buy the drop to the 2nd and 3rd back is that steep.
Gotta check those eyes. Dixon is very slow for his size.

Brendon1215 said:
If you were a Cowboys, I have one simple question. Why would you not want this guy? He's the best back the NFL has seen out of college since 2008. 

Couldn't have said it better myself. Only 10 carries for the best back in the country is ridiculous. They would've been National Champions for a second year in a row if they let him run the ball. Even Urban said he regretted that. 
I believe he got 12, and averaged 2.7 YPC with them. With the way MSU DL played it would not have mattered if he got 30.

I thought his comments after were out of frustration, signs that he is a 20-year old with some maturing to do. Also known as a 20-year old. No concern for me.

I believe he got 12, and averaged 2.7 YPC with them. With the way MSU DL played it would not have mattered if he got 30.

I thought his comments after were out of frustration, signs that he is a 20-year old with some maturing to do. Also known as a 20-year old. No concern for me.
You're wrong about that game. And the only person that showed anything on offense was Zeke. Coaches were concerned because they didn't even think he was going to play because he was in the hospital two days before. If they would have fed Zeke they would have won that game and, at very least, made the playoff.

Users who are viewing this thread