What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Ezekiel Elliott, NE (3 Viewers)

This what should have happened. Not calling him a DV offender when the lead investigator recommended no punishment.

Roger got pressured from Mara and Blank to suspend Zeke and went back on what he had already told Jerry. All in exchange for a sweet recommendation from the committee to extend him with a jet and free healthcare for life. He completely botched this.
This sounds like one of those 9-11 conspiracy theories. Roger Goodell gains nothing from having one of his league's biggest stars sit out 6 games.  Same as when he made his ruling on Tom Brady.  This Sunday's Cowboys/Eagles prime time game would much juicier if Zeke was playing. Goodell and the NFL gain nothing having him miss time. If he's guilty of anything, it may be overcompensating for his initial soft punishment on Ray Rice. But nothing as sinister as you're suggesting. 

This sounds like one of those 9-11 conspiracy theories. Roger Goodell gains nothing from having one of his league's biggest stars sit out 6 games.  Same as when he made his ruling on Tom Brady.  This Sunday's Cowboys/Eagles prime time game would much juicier if Zeke was playing. Goodell and the NFL gain nothing having him miss time. If he's guilty of anything, it may be overcompensating for his initial soft punishment on Ray Rice. But nothing as sinister as you're suggesting. 
I don't think its out of the question. It was being reported that Goodell was being pressured to suspend Zeke. https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/nfl-owners-reportedly-pressuring-roger-goodell-to-suspend-cowboys-zeke-elliott/

I keep seeing this thread at the top of page 1 thinking there is hot news about suspension, appeal, etc.

I would argue that overcompensating for Ray Rice and levying a harsher penalty on Zeke than is justified is pretty damn sinister.

You and others are willing to consider Zeke a woman beater even though he has never even been charged and has never received a remotely fair process by the NFL. The NFL's decision to punish and punish severely plays a role in this perception. If the NFL is willing to treat Zeke even a little unfairly for their own PR benefit they are pretty evil.

I would argue that overcompensating for Ray Rice and levying a harsher penalty on Zeke than is justified is pretty damn sinister.

You and others are willing to consider Zeke a woman beater even though he has never even been charged and has never received a remotely fair process by the NFL. The NFL's decision to punish and punish severely plays a role in this perception. If the NFL is willing to treat Zeke even a little unfairly for their own PR benefit they are pretty evil.
6 games is the league standard now for domestic abuse. The number 6 wasn't an arbitrary choice by Goodell. I think the league, in general, may overcompensate a bit because of what was perceived as light penalties before.

6 games is the league standard now for domestic abuse. The number 6 wasn't an arbitrary choice by Goodell. I think the league, in general, may overcompensate a bit because of what was perceived as light penalties before.
True. But many would argue that levying ANY punishment against Zeke is overcompensating.

He was investigated heavily by police and they elected not to charge him.

The NFL sent only one investigator to interview the alleged victim and she concluded the victim was lying and recommended no charges.

This is purely a he said / she said case where the she has zero credibility, why is he being suspended at all?

With all the craziness that we witness in the world, I'm shocked people still doubt conspiracies. Just because you dont know the motive doesnt mean it isnt shady. Still, people trusting the commish's judgement over the cops, prosecutors and the person in charge of the investigation. With all this commish has done, you trust him, because the punishment is against a player you dislike? Seems fair.

To think Zeke should have been suspended 6 games shows an obvious bias, and you are taking your beliefs over actual facts. It clear a few Eagles fans in here have that bias.

Last edited by a moderator:
True. But many would argue that levying ANY punishment against Zeke is overcompensating.

He was investigated heavily by police and they elected not to charge him.

The NFL sent only one investigator to interview the alleged victim and she concluded the victim was lying and recommended no charges.

This is purely a he said / she said case where the she has zero credibility, why is he being suspended at all?
Why didn't Greg Hardy go to jail? Very similar circumstances. Female came forward. Told the story of how she was beaten up. When it went to retrial, the female never showed up.  This was a woman with bruises covering 50% of her body. And who told police she was told she'd be killed and was then thrown forcefully onto a pile of rifles. Police had pictures of the rifles. Suddenly, she didn't want to pursue it anymore.   Happens all the time with people of influence (and with money).  So Zeke's victim suddenly does a 180 and says it was no big deal. Hmmm, I wonder what happened in the meantime. Apparently, the league office was convinced enough that he was guilty and decided to suspend him. Perhaps they also took into account his other off the field behavior. Again, the NFL gains nothing having the biggest star on the league's most popular team sit out six games. 

With all the craziness that we witness in the world, I'm shocked people still doubt conspiracies. Just because you dont know the motive doesnt mean it isnt shady. Still, people trusting the commish's judgement over the cops, prosecutors and the person in charge of the investigation. With all this commish has done, you trust him, because the punishment is against a player you dislike? Seems fair.

To think Zeke should have been suspended 6 games shows an obvious bias, and you are taking your beliefs over actual facts. It clear a few Eagles fans in here have that bias.
Sure. It's just Eagles fans.   lol    If you remove all Cowboys fans and Elliot fantasy owners, no one would care that he's suspended. 

Also, your statement about the cops is ridiculous. You think Goodell/the NFL should rely on the legal system to determine if it's allowed to enforce behavioral policies?" 

Why didn't Greg Hardy go to jail? Very similar circumstances. Female came forward. Told the story of how she was beaten up. When it went to retrial, the female never showed up.  This was a woman with bruises covering 50% of her body. And who told police she was told she'd be killed and was then thrown forcefully onto a pile of rifles. Police had pictures of the rifles. Suddenly, she didn't want to pursue it anymore.   Happens all the time with people of influence (and with money).  So Zeke's victim suddenly does a 180 and says it was no big deal. Hmmm, I wonder what happened in the meantime. Apparently, the league office was convinced enough that he was guilty and decided to suspend him. Perhaps they also took into account his other off the field behavior. Again, the NFL gains nothing having the biggest star on the league's most popular team sit out six games. 
To me the Hardy case is a poor comparison. That was a case where the victim likely was given hush money. I don't recall any evidence in that case that the victim wasn't credible. In the Zeke case the victim was caught saying outrageous stuff like "I'm white you're black, no one will believe you...I'm going to ruin your career"  and she was also caught trying to extort / blackmail Zeke with sex videos. The NFL simply cannot punish based on the testimony of someone like that.

Also I think it's naive to say the NFL doesn't benefit. They get a PR benefit by appearing to be tougher now on domestic violence. The hit of losing a star player is much much less than the hit of having the media roast them for enabling violence against women

:lmao:

Like I said, Eagles fans and their bias. It OK, lots of fans are like that. Btw...I am not a Cowboys fan. Your remark about Goodell is also ridiculous. Relying on the legal system? Not always, but when you have nothing else, yes. It would avoid situation like this. You seem to forget his own investigator said he shouldnt be suspended. But again, whats the point, your bias is so heavy its not even defensible at this point. I hope the Eagles win this week, because like I said, I am not an Cowboys fan. IIRC, I thought emoticons were frowned upon and considered trolling?

Hardy was convicted of crimes, then dismissed on his second trial because of a screwed up law in NC when the defendant didnt report and was paid off.

Sure. It's just Eagles fans.   lol    If you remove all Cowboys fans and Elliot fantasy owners, no one would care that he's suspended. 

Also, your statement about the cops is ridiculous. You think Goodell/the NFL should rely on the legal system to determine if it's allowed to enforce behavioral policies?" 
I have no dog in this battle.  I could care less about the cowboys or elliot but I am surprised by the amount of anger over this.  It's the NFL and they are really allowed to enforce their behavioral policies however they want.  No different than any business.  Are they sometimes inconsistent in the eyes of the public, for sure, but so would any business be if they had this many staff members acting like fools.  Fact of the matter is Elliot is a guy that towed that line at work and got caught and is now being punished for that.  No different than surfing p$%$ at work or sleeping under your desk

Like I said, Eagles fans and their bias. It OK, lots of fans are like that. Btw...I am not a Cowboys fan. Your remark about Goodell is also ridiculous. Relying on the legal system? Not always, but when you have nothing else, yes. It would avoid situation like this. You seem to forget his own investigator said he shouldnt be suspended. But again, whats the point, your bias is so heavy its not even defensible at this point. I hope the Eagles win this week, because like I said, I am not an Cowboys fan. IIRC, I thought emoticons were frowned upon and considered trolling?
I said Cowboys and AND Elliott fantasy owners. My bias is based on the fact that Goodell knows much more about the case than both you and me and he made a decision that actually hurts the league's viewership. Plain and simple.

Hardy was convicted of crimes, then dismissed on his second trial because of a screwed up law in NC when the defendant didnt report and was paid off.
I'm implying that I believe Zeke's victim was either paid off or threatened. Very similar to Hardy's situation. 

Point well taken. But, in theory, one could say Goodell had much to gain. Like a $20 million/year raise and lifetime use of a private jet. Again, this isn't purely conjecture. There are reports from reputable sources that give this idea at least some credence.

Point well taken. But, in theory, one could say Goodell had much to gain. Like a $20 million/year raise and lifetime use of a private jet. Again, this isn't purely conjecture. There are reports from reputable sources that give this idea at least some credence.
I brush that off as conspiracy theory nonsense. One day, it will be one of Blank's players, or one of the other owners, whose facing a league penalty.  Why would these wealthy owners risk so much just to see Elliott get suspended? And why would Goodell tell a bunch of owners that he can be bought?  Just doesn't add up. 

I brush that off as conspiracy theory nonsense. One day, it will be one of Blank's players, or one of the other owners, whose facing a league penalty.  Why would these wealthy owners risk so much just to see Elliott get suspended? And why would Goodell tell a bunch of owners that he can be bought?  Just doesn't add up. 
The league wants to appear tough on domestic violence.  End of story.  This isn't remotely a stretch.

The league wants to appear tough on domestic violence.  End of story.  This isn't remotely a stretch.
I said the same thing earlier today. Because of the perceived light treatment of Ray Rice (before inside camera view was released), the league wants the public and its players to know that they are no longer taking domestic abuse lightly. I have no problem with this. And I'd feel the same if it was an Eagles player beating up his woman. 

Hi Jnb

I'm not sure I follow. What are the owners risking? Goodell works for the owners. I'd be shocked if every team that benefits from Elliott being out didn't put pressure on Goodell to be strong there. Same with Brady. 

Are you saying you disagree with what Dan Patrick said about the owners putting pressure on Goodell? 

I don't think anyone is talking about being "bought". But decisions are often influenced by your bosses. Goodell is in a weird spot as he's got 32 of them. 

Hi Jnb

I'm not sure I follow. What are the owners risking? Goodell works for the owners. I'd be shocked if every team that benefits from Elliott being out didn't put pressure on Goodell to be strong there. Same with Brady. 

Are you saying you disagree with what Dan Patrick said about the owners putting pressure on Goodell? 

I don't think anyone is talking about being "bought". But decisions are often influenced by your bosses. Goodell is in a weird spot as he's got 32 of them. 
Hi Joe.

Perhaps I misunderstood. I thought the poster was implying that by 'pressure', the owners were saying they'd vote Goodell back in if he agreed to suspend Elliott for 6 games. As if Blank and Co. were threatening Goodell's job.  That's what I meant by taking a risk. If that kind of extortion were to ever come out, it would be devastating both for Goodell/the NFL and for all owners involved.  If by pressure, the poster meant they were persuading him to stay strong and fight this to the end without being intimidated by Jerry Jones, then I can 100% see that happening. And I'm glad it took place. 

The league wants to appear tough on domestic violence. End of story.
But it's backfiring. A good Commissioner would find a way to dispense justice without excessive negative media coverage. But Goodell keeps botching every case, and it continues to draw more and more negative attention to the league.

Ray Rice, Deflategate, Adrian Peterson, Zeke Elliott, Kaepernick. All these cases could have been swiftly dealt with in a manner that was fair and within the rulebook. But instead they dominated the headlines for months, doing nothing but damaging the NFL's reputation.

But it's backfiring. A good Commissioner would find a way to dispense justice without excessive negative media coverage. But Goodell keeps botching every case, and it continues to draw more and more negative attention to the league.

Ray Rice, Deflategate, Adrian Peterson, Zeke Elliott, Kaepernick. All these cases could have been swiftly dealt with in a manner that was fair and within the rulebook. But instead they dominated the headlines for months, doing nothing but damaging the NFL's reputation.
100% agree.  It's amazing that people keep defending Goodell.  His decision making demonstrates his ineptitude over and over.

Deflategate and Elliot stayed in the news simply because the perpetrators wouldn't accept their penalty.  No different than when guys get busted for PEDs. They always want to put up the front of innocence. 

Deflategate and Elliot stayed in the news simply because the perpetrators wouldn't accept their penalty.
But both of those punishments were outside of realm of standard policy. Goodell made a unilateral decision to invent a new punishment for ball deflation, and he made a unilateral decision to treat Elliott exactly the same as someone convicted of domestic violence.

I'm not arguing about whether Brady and Elliott were innocent. I'm arguing about whether Goodell's decision to "punish outside the box" caused more harm than good.

Yes, the reason Deflategate stayed in the news is because Brady wouldn't accept his penalty. But the reason Brady wouldn't accept his penalty is because Roger Goodell ignored standard procedures to invent a new penalty. And if you want to argue that Goodell had every right to invent a new penalty, that's fine. Just don't argue that it was good for the league's bottom line.

Elliot dropped appeal.  Will serve full suspension.
Adam Schefter‏ @AdamSchefter 6m6 minutes ago

Ezekiel Elliott withdrew his appeal because, legally speaking, the case

was unlikely to be resolved before the six games were served.

So now he will take them and return Dec. 24.

If the Cowboys are out of the playoff hunt prior to week 16 would he even play?  
People keep mentioning this in threads for lots of players. A Rodgers. D Johnson. Others.

I somewhat get it if they are coming off an injury, but even then, this is the nfl.

When did teams stop playing starters once they are out of the playoff hunt?

You don’t see the bottom two teams in each division sitting their starters or talking about it happening if they fall out of the playoff race.

We've always tried to keep it on discussion and the topic and not mocking what someone else said. I get it that most boards don't do that. 
I just don't see the use of an emoticon as mocking. If it is, just get rid of any that could be construed in such a way. Seems over the top to me.

We've always tried to keep it on discussion and the topic and not mocking what someone else said. I get it that most boards don't do that. 
I wasn't mocking anyone.  I was amused by insinuating, "To think Zeke should have been suspended 6 games shows an obvious bias, and you are taking your beliefs over actual facts. It clear a few Eagles fans in here have that bias."   I agree with the suspension and don't fall into a bias category, nor am I an Eagle's fan.  It's obvious Elliot is a bonehead.  Message needed to be sent.  If I'm not encouraged to use that emoticon, please remove it.

Users who are viewing this thread