Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Faust

Official Dynasty & Redraft: RB Ezekiel Elliott, Cowboys

Recommended Posts

10 minutes ago, electric Ape said:

True. But many would argue that levying ANY punishment against Zeke is overcompensating.

He was investigated heavily by police and they elected not to charge him.

The NFL sent only one investigator to interview the alleged victim and she concluded the victim was lying and recommended no charges.

This is purely a he said / she said case where the she has zero credibility, why is he being suspended at all?

Why didn't Greg Hardy go to jail? Very similar circumstances. Female came forward. Told the story of how she was beaten up. When it went to retrial, the female never showed up.  This was a woman with bruises covering 50% of her body. And who told police she was told she'd be killed and was then thrown forcefully onto a pile of rifles. Police had pictures of the rifles. Suddenly, she didn't want to pursue it anymore.   Happens all the time with people of influence (and with money).  So Zeke's victim suddenly does a 180 and says it was no big deal. Hmmm, I wonder what happened in the meantime. Apparently, the league office was convinced enough that he was guilty and decided to suspend him. Perhaps they also took into account his other off the field behavior. Again, the NFL gains nothing having the biggest star on the league's most popular team sit out six games. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, WheelsUp said:

With all the craziness that we witness in the world, I'm shocked people still doubt conspiracies. Just because you dont know the motive doesnt mean it isnt shady. Still, people trusting the commish's judgement over the cops, prosecutors and the person in charge of the investigation. With all this commish has done, you trust him, because the punishment is against a player you dislike? Seems fair.

To think Zeke should have been suspended 6 games shows an obvious bias, and you are taking your beliefs over actual facts. It clear a few Eagles fans in here have that bias.

Sure. It's just Eagles fans.   lol    If you remove all Cowboys fans and Elliot fantasy owners, no one would care that he's suspended. 

Also, your statement about the cops is ridiculous. You think Goodell/the NFL should rely on the legal system to determine if it's allowed to enforce behavioral policies?" 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, JuniorNB said:

Why didn't Greg Hardy go to jail? Very similar circumstances. Female came forward. Told the story of how she was beaten up. When it went to retrial, the female never showed up.  This was a woman with bruises covering 50% of her body. And who told police she was told she'd be killed and was then thrown forcefully onto a pile of rifles. Police had pictures of the rifles. Suddenly, she didn't want to pursue it anymore.   Happens all the time with people of influence (and with money).  So Zeke's victim suddenly does a 180 and says it was no big deal. Hmmm, I wonder what happened in the meantime. Apparently, the league office was convinced enough that he was guilty and decided to suspend him. Perhaps they also took into account his other off the field behavior. Again, the NFL gains nothing having the biggest star on the league's most popular team sit out six games. 

To me the Hardy case is a poor comparison. That was a case where the victim likely was given hush money. I don't recall any evidence in that case that the victim wasn't credible. In the Zeke case the victim was caught saying outrageous stuff like "I'm white you're black, no one will believe you...I'm going to ruin your career"  and she was also caught trying to extort / blackmail Zeke with sex videos. The NFL simply cannot punish based on the testimony of someone like that.

Also I think it's naive to say the NFL doesn't benefit. They get a PR benefit by appearing to be tougher now on domestic violence. The hit of losing a star player is much much less than the hit of having the media roast them for enabling violence against women

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, WheelsUp said:

With all the craziness that we witness in the world, I'm shocked people still doubt conspiracies. Just because you dont know the motive doesnt mean it isnt shady. Still, people trusting the commish's judgement over the cops, prosecutors and the person in charge of the investigation. With all this commish has done, you trust him, because the punishment is against a player you dislike? Seems fair.

To think Zeke should have been suspended 6 games shows an obvious bias, and you are taking your beliefs over actual facts. It clear a few Eagles fans in here have that bias.

:lmao:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Like I said, Eagles fans and their bias. It OK, lots of fans are like that. Btw...I am not a Cowboys fan. Your remark about Goodell is also ridiculous. Relying on the legal system? Not always, but when you have nothing else, yes. It would avoid situation like this. You seem to forget his own investigator said he shouldnt be suspended. But again, whats the point, your bias is so heavy its not even defensible at this point. I hope the Eagles win this week, because like I said, I am not an Cowboys fan. IIRC, I thought emoticons were frowned upon and considered trolling?

Edited by WheelsUp

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, JuniorNB said:

Sure. It's just Eagles fans.   lol    If you remove all Cowboys fans and Elliot fantasy owners, no one would care that he's suspended. 

Also, your statement about the cops is ridiculous. You think Goodell/the NFL should rely on the legal system to determine if it's allowed to enforce behavioral policies?" 

I have no dog in this battle.  I could care less about the cowboys or elliot but I am surprised by the amount of anger over this.  It's the NFL and they are really allowed to enforce their behavioral policies however they want.  No different than any business.  Are they sometimes inconsistent in the eyes of the public, for sure, but so would any business be if they had this many staff members acting like fools.  Fact of the matter is Elliot is a guy that towed that line at work and got caught and is now being punished for that.  No different than surfing p$%$ at work or sleeping under your desk

Edited by killface

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, WheelsUp said:

Like I said, Eagles fans and their bias. It OK, lots of fans are like that. Btw...I am not a Cowboys fan. Your remark about Goodell is also ridiculous. Relying on the legal system? Not always, but when you have nothing else, yes. It would avoid situation like this. You seem to forget his own investigator said he shouldnt be suspended. But again, whats the point, your bias is so heavy its not even defensible at this point. I hope the Eagles win this week, because like I said, I am not an Cowboys fan. IIRC, I thought emoticons were frowned upon and considered trolling?

I said Cowboys and AND Elliott fantasy owners. My bias is based on the fact that Goodell knows much more about the case than both you and me and he made a decision that actually hurts the league's viewership. Plain and simple.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, WheelsUp said:

Hardy was convicted of crimes, then dismissed on his second trial because of a screwed up law in NC when the defendant didnt report and was paid off.

I'm implying that I believe Zeke's victim was either paid off or threatened. Very similar to Hardy's situation. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, JuniorNB said:

I'm implying that I believe Zeke's victim was either paid off or threatened. Very similar to Hardy's situation. 

Based on what?  I've read literally nothing to suggest either of those things.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, jeaton6 said:

Oh come on. I know these boards are strictly modded but geez.

We've always tried to keep it on discussion and the topic and not mocking what someone else said. I get it that most boards don't do that. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, JuniorNB said:

Why didn't Greg Hardy go to jail? Very similar circumstances. Female came forward. Told the story of how she was beaten up. When it went to retrial, the female never showed up.  This was a woman with bruises covering 50% of her body. And who told police she was told she'd be killed and was then thrown forcefully onto a pile of rifles. Police had pictures of the rifles. Suddenly, she didn't want to pursue it anymore.   Happens all the time with people of influence (and with money).  So Zeke's victim suddenly does a 180 and says it was no big deal. Hmmm, I wonder what happened in the meantime. Apparently, the league office was convinced enough that he was guilty and decided to suspend him. Perhaps they also took into account his other off the field behavior. Again, the NFL gains nothing having the biggest star on the league's most popular team sit out six games. 

Point well taken. But, in theory, one could say Goodell had much to gain. Like a $20 million/year raise and lifetime use of a private jet. Again, this isn't purely conjecture. There are reports from reputable sources that give this idea at least some credence.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, ourmanflint said:

Point well taken. But, in theory, one could say Goodell had much to gain. Like a $20 million/year raise and lifetime use of a private jet. Again, this isn't purely conjecture. There are reports from reputable sources that give this idea at least some credence.

I brush that off as conspiracy theory nonsense. One day, it will be one of Blank's players, or one of the other owners, whose facing a league penalty.  Why would these wealthy owners risk so much just to see Elliott get suspended? And why would Goodell tell a bunch of owners that he can be bought?  Just doesn't add up. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, JuniorNB said:

I brush that off as conspiracy theory nonsense. One day, it will be one of Blank's players, or one of the other owners, whose facing a league penalty.  Why would these wealthy owners risk so much just to see Elliott get suspended? And why would Goodell tell a bunch of owners that he can be bought?  Just doesn't add up. 

The league wants to appear tough on domestic violence.  End of story.  This isn't remotely a stretch.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, ourmanflint said:

I don't think its out of the question. It was being reported that Goodell was being pressured to suspend Zeke. https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/nfl-owners-reportedly-pressuring-roger-goodell-to-suspend-cowboys-zeke-elliott/

Oh I think Dan Patrick is 100% right here. I'd think most people would agree. Goodell works for the owners., I'd say he gets pressure on just about every suspension that's made. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Alex P Keaton said:

The league wants to appear tough on domestic violence.  End of story.  This isn't remotely a stretch.

I said the same thing earlier today. Because of the perceived light treatment of Ray Rice (before inside camera view was released), the league wants the public and its players to know that they are no longer taking domestic abuse lightly. I have no problem with this. And I'd feel the same if it was an Eagles player beating up his woman. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, JuniorNB said:

I brush that off as conspiracy theory nonsense. One day, it will be one of Blank's players, or one of the other owners, whose facing a league penalty.  Why would these wealthy owners risk so much just to see Elliott get suspended? And why would Goodell tell a bunch of owners that he can be bought?  Just doesn't add up. 

Hi Jnb

I'm not sure I follow. What are the owners risking? Goodell works for the owners. I'd be shocked if every team that benefits from Elliott being out didn't put pressure on Goodell to be strong there. Same with Brady. 

Are you saying you disagree with what Dan Patrick said about the owners putting pressure on Goodell? 

I don't think anyone is talking about being "bought". But decisions are often influenced by your bosses. Goodell is in a weird spot as he's got 32 of them. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Joe Bryant said:

Hi Jnb

I'm not sure I follow. What are the owners risking? Goodell works for the owners. I'd be shocked if every team that benefits from Elliott being out didn't put pressure on Goodell to be strong there. Same with Brady. 

Are you saying you disagree with what Dan Patrick said about the owners putting pressure on Goodell? 

I don't think anyone is talking about being "bought". But decisions are often influenced by your bosses. Goodell is in a weird spot as he's got 32 of them. 

Hi Joe.

Perhaps I misunderstood. I thought the poster was implying that by 'pressure', the owners were saying they'd vote Goodell back in if he agreed to suspend Elliott for 6 games. As if Blank and Co. were threatening Goodell's job.  That's what I meant by taking a risk. If that kind of extortion were to ever come out, it would be devastating both for Goodell/the NFL and for all owners involved.  If by pressure, the poster meant they were persuading him to stay strong and fight this to the end without being intimidated by Jerry Jones, then I can 100% see that happening. And I'm glad it took place. 

Edited by JuniorNB

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The league wants to appear tough on domestic violence. End of story.


But it's backfiring. A good Commissioner would find a way to dispense justice without excessive negative media coverage. But Goodell keeps botching every case, and it continues to draw more and more negative attention to the league.

Ray Rice, Deflategate, Adrian Peterson, Zeke Elliott, Kaepernick. All these cases could have been swiftly dealt with in a manner that was fair and within the rulebook. But instead they dominated the headlines for months, doing nothing but damaging the NFL's reputation.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, STEADYMOBBIN 22 said:

 

 

And you call yourselves fans. The Eagles have never once been the best team and they are going down. 

Neither have the Falcons

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Joe Summer said:


But it's backfiring. A good Commissioner would find a way to dispense justice without excessive negative media coverage. But Goodell keeps botching every case, and it continues to draw more and more negative attention to the league.

Ray Rice, Deflategate, Adrian Peterson, Zeke Elliott, Kaepernick. All these cases could have been swiftly dealt with in a manner that was fair and within the rulebook. But instead they dominated the headlines for months, doing nothing but damaging the NFL's reputation.

100% agree.  It's amazing that people keep defending Goodell.  His decision making demonstrates his ineptitude over and over.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Joe Summer said:


But it's backfiring. A good Commissioner would find a way to dispense justice without excessive negative media coverage. But Goodell keeps botching every case, and it continues to draw more and more negative attention to the league.

Ray Rice, Deflategate, Adrian Peterson, Zeke Elliott, Kaepernick. All these cases could have been swiftly dealt with in a manner that was fair and within the rulebook. But instead they dominated the headlines for months, doing nothing but damaging the NFL's reputation.

Deflategate and Elliot stayed in the news simply because the perpetrators wouldn't accept their penalty.  No different than when guys get busted for PEDs. They always want to put up the front of innocence. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Deflategate and Elliot stayed in the news simply because the perpetrators wouldn't accept their penalty.


But both of those punishments were outside of realm of standard policy. Goodell made a unilateral decision to invent a new punishment for ball deflation, and he made a unilateral decision to treat Elliott exactly the same as someone convicted of domestic violence.

I'm not arguing about whether Brady and Elliott were innocent. I'm arguing about whether Goodell's decision to "punish outside the box" caused more harm than good.

Yes, the reason Deflategate stayed in the news is because Brady wouldn't accept his penalty. But the reason Brady wouldn't accept his penalty is because Roger Goodell ignored standard procedures to invent a new penalty. And if you want to argue that Goodell had every right to invent a new penalty, that's fine. Just don't argue that it was good for the league's bottom line.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, JuniorNB said:

Deflategate and Elliot stayed in the news simply because the perpetrators wouldn't accept their penalty.  No different than when guys get busted for PEDs. They always want to put up the front of innocence. 

Uh, or.....he's actually innocent.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, tjnc09 said:

Elliot dropped appeal.  Will serve full suspension.

Adam Schefter‏ @AdamSchefter 6m6 minutes ago

Ezekiel Elliott withdrew his appeal because, legally speaking, the case

was unlikely to be resolved before the six games were served.

So now he will take them and return Dec. 24.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Corn Rocket said:

If the Cowboys are out of the playoff hunt prior to week 16 would he even play?  

People keep mentioning this in threads for lots of players. A Rodgers. D Johnson. Others.

I somewhat get it if they are coming off an injury, but even then, this is the nfl.

When did teams stop playing starters once they are out of the playoff hunt?

You don’t see the bottom two teams in each division sitting their starters or talking about it happening if they fall out of the playoff race.

 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Corn Rocket said:

If the Cowboys are out of the playoff hunt prior to week 16 would he even play?  

Yes, the Cowboys don’t sit their players even if the playoff is not in Reach.

Tex

Edited by BigTex

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Joe Summer said:


When CTE was discovered in the brains of dead football players.

So a starters life is more important than an non starters life?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, BigTex said:

Yes, the Cowboys don’t sit their players even if the playoff is not in Reach.

Tex

Yeah, true, Dallas has a lot of experience with this situation over the past couple decades.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, tjnc09 said:

lol, but do you burn a roster spot for a long shot championship game week 16 vs Seattle? 

I'm shopping him. I don't have a league winning team in the league I have him, may not make playoffs. Redraft

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, FBG Moderator said:

We've always tried to keep it on discussion and the topic and not mocking what someone else said. I get it that most boards don't do that. 

I just don't see the use of an emoticon as mocking. If it is, just get rid of any that could be construed in such a way. Seems over the top to me.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, FBG Moderator said:

We've always tried to keep it on discussion and the topic and not mocking what someone else said. I get it that most boards don't do that. 

I wasn't mocking anyone.  I was amused by insinuating, "To think Zeke should have been suspended 6 games shows an obvious bias, and you are taking your beliefs over actual facts. It clear a few Eagles fans in here have that bias."   I agree with the suspension and don't fall into a bias category, nor am I an Eagle's fan.  It's obvious Elliot is a bonehead.  Message needed to be sent.  If I'm not encouraged to use that emoticon, please remove it.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Alex P Keaton said:

Based on what?  I've read literally nothing to suggest either of those things.

Based on this JuniorNB guy is an Eagles fan and makes up his own facts. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

8/12 teams make the playoffs in my league, so I'd have to win Week 14 and 15 to have a chance to use him. 

However, our points title champion gets $$$ as well and I'm about 65 points back, so regardless if I lose in the playoffs I can still start him Week 16 and likely plan on it.  Hopefully I can close the gap or be within shouting distance.

 

 

Edited by Gottabesweet

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, Cowboysfan8 said:

I'm shopping him. I don't have a league winning team in the league I have him, may not make playoffs. Redraft

Not much interest at all in my league.

I moved him tonight for Mariota. Cam is on bye, ww QBs are horrid and I'm fighting for a playoff spot

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, P Park Pimps said:

Anyone drop him yet? Cowboys dont have a shot at the playoffs right? Would they even play him in a meaningless week 16 game?

Jerry Jones will make sure he plays.  Just out of stubbornness.   Probably will get 25-30 carries.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ezekiel Elliott has completed his six-game suspension for violating the NFL's personal conduct policy.

ESPN's Adam Schefter reports Elliott is expected to report to the team on Monday, and it would be a shock if he is not back in the lineup against the Seahawks on Christmas Eve. It is great news for a Cowboys team which is still in the playoff hunt and any fantasy teams which managed to survive Elliott's absence. Considering what Todd Gurley did to the Seahawks on Sunday, Elliott could have a big day in his return.

Source: Adam Schefter on Twitter 

Dec 18 - 8:42 AM

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, Faust said:

 

 

Best possible scenario for those that held on to him for the championship this week, Dallas desperate for help to get into the playoffs.  Hopefully he did indeed keep himself in shape and runs fresh against defenders who are beaten up after a long season.

I'm a coin flip to pull out a victory tonight, but will start him with confidence unless there's some crazy coach speak this week about his lack of readiness.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.