What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Ezekiel Elliott, NE (4 Viewers)

I don't see anyone honestly taking out last year and coming to the conclusion that Gurley is even top 3. I struggled hard not taking him but that was absolutely looking at 2017.
There is zero wrong with taking Zeke #1. Honestly it's not even a controversial pick. Taking any one of Gurley/Bell/Zeke/DJ is completely fine at #1.

There is zero wrong with taking Zeke #1. Honestly it's not even a controversial pick. Taking any one of Gurley/Bell/Zeke/DJ is completely fine at #1.
Absolutely agree. It's like asking what is the best ice cream flavor (the answer is Rocky Road) or what is the best color (it's British racing green).

Absolutely agree. It's like asking what is the best ice cream flavor (the answer is Rocky Road) or what is the best color (it's British racing green).
It is 2018.

The best Ice Cream flavors revolve around cake batter.  The #1 RB will obviously not be one of the "top 4".

Last edited by a moderator:
You Pick:

Dez, Vince Mayle, Brice Butler and Lucky Whitehead

or

Hurns, Austin, Gallup, and Thompson
hate to jump in the middle of this, but how is Brice Butler doing? i believe he is the one who had some promising moments on the field but had some off the field issues and Dallas didn't re-sign him? did he go anywhere?

as for the purpose of this thread, i wanted nothing to do with zeke this year. I could be very wrong, but i think he sees a lot of 8 man fronts and the OL is already showing some potential holes He could have a great year, but i think it may be similar to that game he had last year in Denver when he just couldn't get anything going

Certainly possible.  At that level it's really just picking nits.

I think Zeke could out rush Johnson by 400 yards because I think Arizona is going to have real trouble with their offensive line.  There is some talent there, to be sure, but they have almost zero experience together as a unit, it's a new system and as a unit have perhaps the lengthiest injury history in the league.  If you worry about the health of the Dallas line you should be downright about the health of the line in Arizona. 
only counter argument i can think of here is that Arizona has had a good D for a few years, and can put the Cardinals in good field position. 

only counter argument i can think of here is that Arizona has had a good D for a few years, and can put the Cardinals in good field position. 
True. Plus DJ is pretty much the Cardinals offense and he is an amazing receiver who will likely be used, and abused, in the short passing game. He probably has a floor of 60 catches. I think 60 is probably Zeke's ceiling.

But IMO Zeke is every bit as much the offense in Dallas that DJ is in Arizona. Even with injuries he has a better offensive line by a good margin and the Dallas D looks to be pretty solid particularly if Gregory produces even a little bit and Smith comes out even a little closer to his former self.

Taking Zeke over DJ (or Bell, or Gurley) may have been a mistake. Odds suggest it was but I love his ability, offense and opportunity more than the other guys. IIRC Zeke led the league with 98 yards rushing per game. He may not lead the league in YFS but he's gotta be the clear favorite for the rushing title.

True. Plus DJ is pretty much the Cardinals offense and he is an amazing receiver who will likely be used, and abused, in the short passing game. He probably has a floor of 60 catches. I think 60 is probably Zeke's ceiling.

But IMO Zeke is every bit as much the offense in Dallas that DJ is in Arizona. Even with injuries he has a better offensive line by a good margin and the Dallas D looks to be pretty solid particularly if Gregory produces even a little bit and Smith comes out even a little closer to his former self.

Taking Zeke over DJ (or Bell, or Gurley) may have been a mistake. Odds suggest it was but I love his ability, offense and opportunity more than the other guys. IIRC Zeke led the league with 98 yards rushing per game. He may not lead the league in YFS but he's gotta be the clear favorite for the rushing title.
well if there is one thing i learned in all my years of fantasy and gambling, it is much more satisfying winning or losing sticking with your own thoughts and instincts, rather than general ratings. 

And with seeing how Dallas used Demarco Murray, i don't see any reason they wouldn't run Zeke to death. Of course Zeke still has a couple of years until his next contract, but i don't think they will hold back 

well if there is one thing i learned in all my years of fantasy and gambling, it is much more satisfying winning or losing sticking with your own thoughts and instincts, rather than general ratings. 

And with seeing how Dallas used Demarco Murray, i don't see any reason they wouldn't run Zeke to death. Of course Zeke still has a couple of years until his next contract, but i don't think they will hold back 
I can't think of any earthly reason the Cowboys or Cardinals would hold back from using Zeke or DJ.

I can't think of any earthly reason the Cowboys or Cardinals would hold back from using Zeke or DJ.
Neither can I. I can see why Arians backed off Johnson a bit that first year, but they're not getting younger and their rookie contracts only last so long.  

hate to jump in the middle of this, but how is Brice Butler doing? i believe he is the one who had some promising moments on the field but had some off the field issues and Dallas didn't re-sign him? did he go anywhere?

as for the purpose of this thread, i wanted nothing to do with zeke this year. I could be very wrong, but i think he sees a lot of 8 man fronts and the OL is already showing some potential holes He could have a great year, but i think it may be similar to that game he had last year in Denver when he just couldn't get anything going
He was on the Cardinals’ preseason roster, but a semi-surprise cut.  Currently a free agent.

Some other RB's didn't have great days either:

Hunt

Freeman

Johnson

These things happen. BUT, I do share some concern with you. 

Payne said:
Part of me agrees. But don't think selling is the answer. Played a good defense on the road and he still had decent numbers. 

Don't think you're going to get good value for him. 
if you watched the game you would probably think differently. Most his yards and TD were picked up when Carolina switched to soft defense while up 16-0 in 2nd half. he will feast on weak teams, but i think he will be crushed against good teams. if his schedule works for you could be good value, but unless they are up or the other team is up so much they go prevent, i would hate to rely on him

I think today is just the beginning.  The combination of having absolutely no threats in the passing game and losing Travis Frederick (I know it's been said but can't be overstated), I think the team is in for real trouble.  I hope I'm wrong as a lifetime Dallas homer, but Frederick brought the attitude that the whole line fed off of.  If you can use this "decent day against a great D" tactic, I would try and unload him if possible. Nothing but 8-9 man fronts all year long.

if you watched the game you would probably think differently. Most his yards and TD were picked up when Carolina switched to soft defense while up 16-0 in 2nd half. he will feast on weak teams, but i think he will be crushed against good teams. if his schedule works for you could be good value, but unless they are up or the other team is up so much they go prevent, i would hate to rely on him
LOL, dude you sweat the Cowboys so much. You post in every single thread of theirs and spew your negative propaganda. 

So insecure. :lmao:

LOL, dude you sweat the Cowboys so much. You post in every single thread of theirs and spew your negative propaganda. 

So insecure. :lmao:
relax....  You mean Zeke's 18 yards rushing in the 1st half was convincing enough to discuss, from a fantasy perspective, that he may not be worth the #3 or #4 pick in a draft? I get you are a dedicated Cowboys fan which i can appreciate (fair weather fans are more annoying), but my thoughts on Zeke are that he may not end the season as a top5 RB and i feel pretty confident in that

I made a bourbon bottle bet with a good buddy of mine that Zeke would finish outside the top 8 RB this season in PPR.

I freely admitted at the time it was an aggressive call... but I intentionally avoided any shares of the Cowboys offense this year. 

I made a bourbon bottle bet with a good buddy of mine that Zeke would finish outside the top 8 RB this season in PPR.

I freely admitted at the time it was an aggressive call... but I intentionally avoided any shares of the Cowboys offense this year. 
Last year, when his suspension went into effect, I traded him (and some stuff) for Melvin Gordon (and some stuff).  Got me to the playoffs, and eventually to a loss in the championship game.  At the time I was thinking I'd have to forever live with a decent downgrade at an RB spot - but after week 1 of this year, I'm not so sure.

I’m a slightly worried Zeke owner, but top 8 fees like a safe bet, if he stays healthy. Based on last year, he’d only need 17PPG to pull it off. He did that on Sunday, despite an awful performance by the offense against a good run defense.

You clearly didn’t watch the game. Carolina never played prevent defense. They were up 16 points for one possession and a whopping 5 minutes...in the 4th quarter, no less. 

Dallas started moving the ball when they went to a spread offense. 

Dallas didn’t cross the 50 in the first half for the first time since 2002. This was the floor for the offense and Zeke still put up respectable numbers.

You clearly didn’t watch the game. Carolina never played prevent defense. They were up 16 points for one possession and a whopping 5 minutes...in the 4th quarter, no less. 

Dallas didn’t cross the 50 in the first half for the first time since 2002. This was the floor for the offense and Zeke still put up respectable numbers.
Seemed to me when they eventually moved the ball it was pretty fluky, aside from Elliot. I think this offense will struggle mightily.

Seemed to me when they eventually moved the ball it was pretty fluky, aside from Elliot. I think this offense will struggle mightily.
The offense will certainly struggle, but it’s not going to average 8 points and a handful of first downs a game.  It’s really bad outside of Smith, Zeke, and Martin, but Zeke is a monster and will get all the volume he can handle. He’s the passing down back as well, so garbage time should see him targeted more.

The offense will certainly struggle, but it’s not going to average 8 points and a handful of first downs a game.  It’s really bad outside of Smith, Zeke, and Martin, but Zeke is a monster and will get all the volume he can handle. He’s the passing down back as well, so garbage time should see him targeted more.
Top scoring (traditional) running backs usually come from good offenses, seems to me anyway. Maybe we could get some data on it. Elliot got 322 carries in his rookie campaign when the Cowboys won a lot of games. Not the case now. You can hope Garrett and his OCs won't abandon the run when trailing, but can't realistically expect it. I'd feel better if he was a great open field runner. Not to take anything away from his pass catching chops, but it doesn't compare to some of the other running backs in his tier.

He might disappoint this season, no question about it, but the list of RBs with a realistic chance at 2,000 yards and 17 TDs is very, very small and Zeke is on that list.

Top scoring (traditional) running backs usually come from good offenses, seems to me anyway. Maybe we could get some data on it. Elliot got 322 carries in his rookie campaign when the Cowboys won a lot of games. Not the case now. You can hope Garrett and his OCs won't abandon the run when trailing, but can't realistically expect it. I'd feel better if he was a great open field runner. Not to take anything away from his pass catching chops, but it doesn't compare to some of the other running backs in his tier.
Where are you projecting him to finish? You summarize the cons pretty well, but I'm not really sure what I'm arguing against or what you take me to be arguing for. Top 5? Top 10? I'm not sure I'm ready to argue top 5, but betting on a top 10 finish is free money. If he's healthy, put it in stone. 

The offense was great his rookie year, but it wasn't last year and he still averaged 20.3 PPR PPG, good for 3rd in the league. Fournette and McCoy were also in the top 10 from bad offenses. 

Zeke isn't an elite pass catcher, but he has solid hands, runs good routes, and is the 3rd down back. Negative game scripts won't do to him what it does to 2 down backs. 

Where are you projecting him to finish? You summarize the cons pretty well, but I'm not really sure what I'm arguing against or what you take me to be arguing for. Top 5? Top 10? I'm not sure I'm ready to argue top 5, but betting on a top 10 finish is free money. If he's healthy, put it in stone. 

The offense was great his rookie year, but it wasn't last year and he still averaged 20.3 PPR PPG, good for 3rd in the league. Fournette and McCoy were also in the top 10 from bad offenses. 

Zeke isn't an elite pass catcher, but he has solid hands, runs good routes, and is the 3rd down back. Negative game scripts won't do to him what it does to 2 down backs. 
One below average game in 2018 and everyone is claiming he's done.  

25 games (2016-2017)

22.5 carries per game

104.5 rushing YPG

2.32 receptions per game

25.28 receiving YPG

1 TD per game

He's gonna be fine people.  As long as no injury he's a lock for top 5-6 FF RB.  

he was 7 for 18 yards in the 1st half. enjoy. i am just not sure how you can feel great about it. I get Zeke owners aren't happy about it, but i do think the reality is that Zeke is going to have an inconsistent year. i think he will feast and have better numbers then people think against weak competition, but i do think there will be weeks when you would want to consider not starting him when they play good teams. You think they can still run Zeke down 17-20? they may and it may work, but i think there are going to be games you will need to consider other options

he was 7 for 18 yards in the 1st half. enjoy. i am just not sure how you can feel great about it. I get Zeke owners aren't happy about it, but i do think the reality is that Zeke is going to have an inconsistent year. i think he will feast and have better numbers then people think against weak competition, but i do think there will be weeks when you would want to consider not starting him when they play good teams. You think they can still run Zeke down 17-20? they may and it may work, but i think there are going to be games you will need to consider other options
You're welcome to your opinion; just don't lie about a game you didn't watch to support it.

I’m a slightly worried Zeke owner, but top 8 fees like a safe bet, if he stays healthy. Based on last year, he’d only need 17PPG to pull it off. He did that on Sunday, despite an awful performance by the offense against a good run defense.
Stop being the voice of reason.

Bad offense is one thing, but bad defense to go along usually means trouble for a running back. Negative game scripts. The Jaguars and Bills didn't have great passing abilities but we're still playoff teams. They played in mostly contested games without the temptation of abondoning the run. All things considered I'd label the Cowboys a bad team who will get blown out a few times too many.

So how many carries for zeke? I'd say 240 or 270. TDs? No more than 10. Catches? 50 or 60. You're right about an increase, but I don't see bell or johnson type production. 

Such usage would make him a borderline RB1 in either format. Ironically this team may increase his ppr value, which I always thought was overrated anyway.

my outlook with Zeke is he'd have a tough year..... but would love to trade for him after a few weeks in.  He'll still be reliable most weeks even so.

Fantasy Playoff schedule of Colts then Tampa Bay is amazing. 

• Smile
Reactions: One
Bad offense is one thing, but bad defense to go along usually means trouble for a running back. Negative game scripts. The Jaguars and Bills didn't have great passing abilities but we're still playoff teams. They played in mostly contested games without the temptation of abondoning the run. All things considered I'd label the Cowboys a bad team who will get blown out a few times too many.

So how many carries for zeke? I'd say 240 or 270. TDs? No more than 10. Catches? 50 or 60. You're right about an increase, but I don't see bell or johnson type production. 

Such usage would make him a borderline RB1 in either format. Ironically this team may increase his ppr value, which I always thought was overrated anyway.
Borderline RB1 is your projection? So RB10-14ish? 

Maybe not the thread for it, but their defense is far from bad. The unit will surprise. 

Maybe not the thread for it, but their defense is far from bad. The unit will surprise. 
Could be the thread for it. I'd bet there's some correlation between defensive performance and rushing attempts. Either way, I agree the dallas d is not terrible. But not great and not enough to make up for the offense ineptitude. Dak is not good.

my outlook with Zeke is he'd have a tough year..... but would love to trade for him after a few weeks in.  He'll still be reliable most weeks even so.

Fantasy Playoff schedule of Colts then Tampa Bay is amazing. 
This was a huge motivator for me taking him 1.03

Users who are viewing this thread