What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Physics and astronomy thread (5 Viewers)

Mildly surprised this hasn’t been posted here yet ( or maybe it has and I missed it).  

https://www.space.com/20112-oldest-known-star-universe.html
Something is still not quite right about this.  Age of 14.5 billion years with an uncertainty of +/- 800 million years?  While the uncertainty range takes to the edge of our current Big Bang model, it is way too close for comfort.  Stellar formation likely wouldn't have occurred until about 200 million years after the big bang.  So we would still need to push this age measurement lower by a billion years to fit the current model.  Something is still being overlooked or unaccounted for here is my guess.  I do not know any details of this star.  I would need to dig further.

Something is still not quite right about this.  Age of 14.5 billion years with an uncertainty of +/- 800 million years?  While the uncertainty range takes to the edge of our current Big Bang model, it is way too close for comfort.  Stellar formation likely wouldn't have occurred until about 200 million years after the big bang.  So we would still need to push this age measurement lower by a billion years to fit the current model.  Something is still being overlooked or unaccounted for here is my guess.  I do not know any details of this star.  I would need to dig further.
The article goes into a little more depth on the subject and address’s some of your points.  Pretty fascinating stuff.  

https://www.forbes.com/sites/startswithabang/2017/09/07/the-greatest-cosmic-puzzle-astronomers-find-stars-that-appear-older-than-the-universe/#77daf1fe3c44

India sending a rover to the moon on July 15...would be their 1st off-world landing and the fourth country to land on the moon (not counting israel). Will measure temps, quakes, soil.
Aborted
launched! the full linked article has interesting charts and graphs outlining the trip

India has successfully launched its second lunar mission a week after it halted the scheduled blast-off due to a technical snag.

Chandrayaan-2 was launched at 14:43 local time (09:13 GMT) from the Sriharikota space station.

India's space chief said his agency had "bounced back with flying colours" after the aborted first attempt.

India hopes the $145m (£116m) mission will be the first to land on the Moon's south pole.

The spacecraft has entered the Earth's orbit, where it will stay for 23 days before it begins a series of manoeuvres that will take it into lunar orbit.

If successful, India will become the fourth country to make a soft landing on the Moon's surface. Only the former Soviet Union, the US and China have been able to do so.
successfully locked into lunar orbit!

exciting stuff... hopefully they'll stick the landing too (eta, Sep 7)

So, a Black Hole wouldn't really have that much, if any, more mass than the start from which it was created, right?

So why wouldn't the original star have had an event horizon?

What is it about a Black Hole that causes it to be different just because it's of infinite density?

I think I'm asking why density matters more than mass.

Last edited by a moderator:
So, a Black Hole wouldn't really have that much, if any, more mass than the start from which it was created, right?

So why wouldn't the original star have had an event horizon?

What is it about a Black Hole that causes it to be different just because it's of infinite density?

I think I'm asking why density matters more than mass.
Stars that are still "burning" their fuel are in a state of hydrostatic equilibrium.  The thermal pressures from within push outward supporting the mass of the star which balances the inward effects of gravitation.  As long as the sequence of nuclear fusion is continuing, the inward collapse can not occur.

ETA...I suppose I should continue a little further to answer your question better.  The gravitational field strength is dependent on the mass and inversely proportional to the square of the radius of that mass.  So, effectively yes, density is the more relevant concept here.  The mass of the star must collapse to a small enough radius for the gravitational field strength to reach a critical value. 

So it seems like the fabric of space can "support" the "weight" of the star better than it can the black hole...?

The rubber sheet is easy to conceptualize because it's effectively two dimensional in the example. It's much harder when you apply it to 3d space.

India sending a rover to the moon on July 15...would be their 1st off-world landing and the fourth country to land on the moon (not counting israel). Will measure temps, quakes, soil.
Aborted
launched! the full linked article has interesting charts and graphs outlining the trip

India has successfully launched its second lunar mission a week after it halted the scheduled blast-off due to a technical snag.

Chandrayaan-2 was launched at 14:43 local time (09:13 GMT) from the Sriharikota space station.

India's space chief said his agency had "bounced back with flying colours" after the aborted first attempt.

India hopes the $145m (£116m) mission will be the first to land on the Moon's south pole.

The spacecraft has entered the Earth's orbit, where it will stay for 23 days before it begins a series of manoeuvres that will take it into lunar orbit.

If successful, India will become the fourth country to make a soft landing on the Moon's surface. Only the former Soviet Union, the US and China have been able to do so.
successfully locked into lunar orbit!

exciting stuff... hopefully they'll stick the landing too (eta, Sep 7)
successfully separated the lander! 

landing appears to be set for very early morning Sep 7.

Maybe a little bit of an aside, but does anyone have a good suggestion for a quality telescope and related photography gear? 

I've done some initial research and still confused where to start. I want to get a higher end telescope that makes it easy to take pictures of stars, planets, the moon, etc. Don't need to mortgage my house, but don't mind spending some dough to ensure the gear is quality and intuitive.

Any suggestions? 

Maybe a little bit of an aside, but does anyone have a good suggestion for a quality telescope and related photography gear? 

I've done some initial research and still confused where to start. I want to get a higher end telescope that makes it easy to take pictures of stars, planets, the moon, etc. Don't need to mortgage my house, but don't mind spending some dough to ensure the gear is quality and intuitive.

Any suggestions? 
About a year ago, I decided I was going to look into buying a telescope.  Had always wanted one and thought it would be a fun hobby.  I started researching and realized the more research I did, the less I was understanding everything.  And it seemed like I would look at one that was like $400 and people would be like, "Well, that's crap.  Won't see anything with that.  You need one like this."  And they'd suggest one that cost 2 grand.  

Needless to say, I still don't have a telescope.

Any suggestions? 
I do not have any real recommendations for you as I am not into photography at all, but I know the type of gear needed for photographing the planets will have fairly different characteristics than for deep sky images of nebulae and galaxies.  So, knowing where your interest lies may guide the decisions in equipment.  In general light gathering ability is your friend.  Big aperture = more photons of light gathered.  But bigger does not always equal better, since bigger means more weight (more difficult to mount and transport) and cost.  Possibly more important than the telescope is the camera being used.  You would want a DSLR where you can have control over shutter speed and aperture.  Check out the tutorials on this guy's website.  It will much more useful than what I have to offer.

Any suggestions? 
Not higher end, but for a beginner I got an Orion 09007 SpaceProbe 130ST Equatorial Reflector for my birthday in April. Was able to see the rings of Saturn and Jupiter's spot so far without having to shell out for some better eyepieces which would supposedly make a world of difference in magnification. Haven't tried taking pictures but I know they sell attachments for camera's, cellphones, etc. for it. Base telescope ranges from $250~$300 depending on if you can catch them on sale. Haven't tried any deep sky or Messier objects yet either.

I do not have any real recommendations for you as I am not into photography at all, but I know the type of gear needed for photographing the planets will have fairly different characteristics than for deep sky images of nebulae and galaxies.
One of the best matches of post and user name I’ve ever seen in the FFA :D  

Water found for first time on potentially habitable planet

Astronomers have for the first time discovered water in the atmosphere of a planet orbiting within the habitable zone of a distant star.

The finding makes the world - which is called K2-18b - a plausible candidate in the search for alien life.

Within 10 years, new space telescopes might be able to determine whether K2-18b's atmosphere contains gases that could be produced by living organisms.

Details were published in the scientific journal Nature Astronomy.

The lead scientist, Prof Giovanna Tinetti of University College London (UCL) described the discovery as "mind blowing".

"This is the first time that we have detected water on a planet in the habitable zone around a star where the temperature is potentially compatible with the presence of life," she said.

The habitable zone is the region around a star where temperatures are sufficiently benign for water to exist in liquid form on the surface of a planet.

K2-18b is 111 light-years - about 650 million million miles - from Earth, too far to send a probe. So the only option is to wait for the next generation of space telescopes to be launched in the 2020s and to look for gasses in the planet's atmosphere that could only be produced by living organisms, according to UCL's Dr Ingo Waldmann.

"This is one of the biggest questions in science and we have always wondered if we are alone in the Universe," Dr Waldmann said. "Within the next 10 years, we will know whether there are chemicals that are due to life in those atmospheres."

Some scientist in the article I read said K2-18b wasn't even in the top 20 of places that we think could have life.  Basically, saying it's more likely a mini-Neptune versus a super-Earth.  Really starting to get excited for the Webb telescope!

An interstellar comet looks to be heading our way

I'm sure other objects from outside our Solar System have appeared, but we have never been able to detect them
The comet was found by Gennady Borisov of Crimea on Aug. 30, and went by the temporary name GB00234 until very recently. After being watched by several other observatories over the past few weeks, it was given the official name of C/2019 Q4 (Borisov) by the Minor Planet Center on Wednesday. 
Thank God they changed that name.  The first one was so boring.  The new name just rolls off the tongue.

Some scientist in the article I read said K2-18b wasn't even in the top 20 of places that we think could have life.  Basically, saying it's more likely a mini-Neptune versus a super-Earth.  Really starting to get excited for the Webb telescope!
Time to bump it up a few spots on the draft board...

Thank God they changed that name.  The first one was so boring.  The new name just rolls off the tongue.
It's all about the system, baby.  Got to formally name according to the adopted system:  

C/ - describes orbit of comet...the C/ is for a non periodic comet

2019 - year of discovery

Q - half month it was discovered in...this one discovered in second half of August

4 - order of discovery...this was the 4th comet discovered in the second half of August

It's all about the system, baby.  Got to formally name according to the adopted system:  

C/ - describes orbit of comet...the C/ is for a non periodic comet

2019 - year of discovery

Q - half month it was discovered in...this one discovered in second half of August

4 - order of discovery...this was the 4th comet discovered in the second half of August
I get that.  But I liked it better when we just gave it random names like Jupiter, Haley's Comet, or The Sun.  

I get that.  But I liked it better when we just gave it random names like Jupiter, Haley's Comet, or The Sun.  
Those do stay part of everyday life though.  This comet is going to be in out and of the solar system, never to return.  Maybe astronomers make some discoveries based on their study of it, but I expect it will have a brief attention span.  So, I'm not sure it is worth a cool name, unless we go for something with a short shelf life like "Comet Mambo No. 5" or something.

Comet discussion tangent... it feels like we have been in a long drought of great comets that can be clearly seen with naked eye.  I remember as a kid having Halley's Comet, then Hale-Bopp and Hyakutake in the 90s.  I can't really think of anything since then.  

Saw that yesterday. Crazy that there are more than one in the works and with pretty fast timelines in place. No ####### way would I go. 

And that or another article mentioned the developer comparing the price (ultimately, not at first) to a week in Europe. I don't see how that's viable...but amazing if true.

El Floppo said:
None more black.

Mit develops the blackest material, highlighted in acollaborative artwork covering a $2mil diamond with it.

I skimmed this yesterday...what's the application for this?
Telescopes and lots of other optical equipment like medical imaging devices. Military and aerospace applications. Since it’s made of carbon nanotubes it should also be super strong and a great conductor of heat or electricity so probably lots of microchip and other electronic applications.

Plus one artist doesn’t have a monopoly on it so other modern art guys can finally do those blackest black art exhibits they’ve always dreamed of.

El Floppo said:
Saw that yesterday. Crazy that there are more than one in the works and with pretty fast timelines in place. No ####### way would I go. 

And that or another article mentioned the developer comparing the price (ultimately, not at first) to a week in Europe. I don't see how that's viable...but amazing if true.
No way can it be comparable. I was just in Europe for 17 days and spent a little over 3k for everything. Climbed mountains, took a balloon ride, saw historic sites, drank beer.  
Count me out. I'll continue to travel this world.

Since it’s made of carbon nanotubes it should also be super strong and a great conductor of heat or electricity so probably lots of microchip and other electronic applications.
This all depends on how the material is made up.  I doubt it's super strong - it will be a discontinuous mix of material.  Conductivity is probably middling again due to makeup.

Now if you can figure out how to make continuous nanotubes...

Tonight on FXM - Hidden Figures

7:30 ET and again at 10:10

Three brilliant African-American women at NASA -- Katherine Johnson (Taraji P. Henson), Dorothy Vaughan (Octavia Spencer) and Mary Jackson (Janelle Monáe) -- serve as the brains behind one of the greatest operations in history: the launch of astronaut John Glenn (Glen Powell) into orbit, a stunning achievement that restored the nation's confidence, turned around the Space Race and galvanized the world.

Users who are viewing this thread