What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Physics and astronomy thread (5 Viewers)

December 21st (winter solstice, no less) - Jupiter and Saturn will have a conjunction just after sunset.  First time this has happened since 1226.

https://earthsky.org/astronomy-essentials/great-jupiter-saturn-conjunction-dec-21-2020
Unfortunately, they will be fairly low in the sky...not a lot of viewing time.  You will need an unobstructed view to the Southwest.  Dust off your telescopes for this one.  You should be able to get Jupiter, Saturn, and several of their moons in the same field of view.

Galileo said:
Unfortunately, they will be fairly low in the sky...not a lot of viewing time.  You will need an unobstructed view to the Southwest.  Dust off your telescopes for this one.  You should be able to get Jupiter, Saturn, and several of their moons in the same field of view.
That sucks. They’ve been fun to spot since over the summer, so close to each other too.

The nasa asteroid probe is going to grab and go, I think tomorrow. Been orbiting and travelling with it for I think two years. Crazy, amazing, crazy business- the whole thing. 

Pretty sure the Japanese version is almost home with its zombie apocalypse payload.

It's been nice knowing you all 
Lands Dec 6 in Australia.

:bye:

I volunteer to help build it. I will meet my weight loss goal as soon as I land. I would weigh roughly 37 pounds. Hell I could drink beer again.

The nasa asteroid probe is going to grab and go, I think tomorrow. Been orbiting and travelling with it for I think two years. Crazy, amazing, crazy business- the whole thing. 

Pretty sure the Japanese version is almost home with its zombie apocalypse payload.

Still amazed by this. And terrified.

And no mention of china continuing to take the lead in space...landed on the moon again, collected samples and already on the way home

Still amazed by this. And terrified.
It made it and it's been found.

Time to brush up on the walking dead so I remember how to deal with zombies. Something about mowing lawns and bottlerockets.

I thought it was actually flying horizontal for a second, but maybe not...

Looks like their happy wit how it turned out, so I dont know.

Last edited by a moderator:
As early as Wednesday, December 9, the SpaceX team will attempt a high-altitude suborbital flight test of Starship serial number 8 (SN8) from our site in Cameron County, Texas. The schedule is dynamic and likely to change, as is the case with all development testing.

This suborbital flight is designed to test a number of objectives, from how the vehicle’s three Raptor engines perform to the overall aerodynamic entry capabilities of the vehicle (including its body flaps) to how the vehicle manages propellant transition. SN8 will also attempt to perform a landing flip maneuver, which would be a first for a vehicle of this size.

With a test such as this, success is not measured by completion of specific objectives but rather how much we can learn, which will inform and improve the probability of success in the future as SpaceX rapidly advances development of Starship.

This past year alone, SpaceX has completed two low-altitude flight tests with Starship SN5 and SN6 and accumulated over 16,000 seconds of run time during 330 ground engine starts, including multiple Starship static fires and four flight tests of the reusable methalox full-flow staged combustion Raptor engine. Additionally, with production accelerating and fidelity increasing, SpaceX has built 10 Starship prototypes. SN9 is almost ready to move to the pad, which now has two active stands for rapid development testing.

SN8’s flight test is an exciting next step in the development of a fully reusable transportation system capable of carrying both crew and cargo to Earth orbit, the Moon, Mars, and beyond. As we venture into new territory, we continue to appreciate all of the support and encouragement we have received.

Bump for the conjunction of Jupiter and Saturn tonight. It has been too cloudy to see them the past couple of nights by me — hoping for clearer weather tonight.

Should be a perfect night here in Mississippi.  Clear sky, about 50, and I have a great, slightly elevated view of the SW sky.  

I 've had my Dob for about a year now and I still can't figure out the best way to take photos.  Obviously too late now, but does any last minute tips would be appreciated.   Using an Iphone X and an adapter.  

Not looking good on the cloud front for me just outside DC. There's not a whole lot of clouds in the sky, but there is a big band of clouds in the west-southwest.   :kicksrock: Hopefully it moves on.

Last edited by a moderator:
Bump for the conjunction of Jupiter and Saturn tonight. It has been too cloudy to see them the past couple of nights by me — hoping for clearer weather tonight.
I have been checking this out nightly. We have had a perfect view here in Arizona.

I don't think the local aliens living on their bases there are union, either.  Might even get it done cheaper than we think.
VIDEO 🎥   Israel’s Former Space Security Chief Claims Aliens Exist, And Trump Knows | NBC News NOW

NBC News

4.76M subscribers

SUBSCRIBE

In interview with Israel’s Yediot Aharonot newspaper, former head of Israel's Defense Ministry's space directorate Haim Eshed said the U.S. government has been in contact with extraterrestrials from a "galactic federation." NBC News’ Bill Neely reports.

Don Quixote said:
I checked it out last night. Pretty cool stuff.

Users who are viewing this thread