What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Patriots being investigated after Colts game (1 Viewer)

Percent of NFL teams actively trying to steal play sheets?

• 0%

Votes: 90 33.0%
  • 25%

Votes: 91 33.3%
  • 50%

Votes: 19 7.0%
  • 75%

Votes: 16 5.9%
  • 100%

Votes: 57 20.9%

• Total voters

HobbesAB

Footballguy
http://deadspin.com/report-patriots-under-nfl-investigation-for-deflating-1680358128

WTHR's Bob Kravitz is reporting the NFL is investigating whether the New England Patriots illegally deflated footballs during the team's AFC Championship game against the Colts Sunday night.

Deflated footballs are easier to throw and catch, especially in the stormy conditions that threatened the area. Officials caught USC illegally deflating footballs in 2012, and fined the school.

Kravitz says officials took a ball out of play to weigh it, and that if the Patriots are found guilty of tampering with the balls they will lose draft picks—similar to the team's punishment for 2007's

========================================================================

Good article from Dan Wetzel on the topic:

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/deflating-feeling--report-puts-patriots-on-defensive-over-footballs--culture-since-spygate-scandal-080638511.html

Last edited by a moderator:
http://deadspin.com/report-patriots-under-nfl-investigation-for-deflating-1680358128

WTHR's Bob Kravitz is reporting the NFL is investigating whether the New England Patriots illegally deflated footballs during the team's AFC Championship game against the Colts Sunday night.

Deflated footballs are easier to throw and catch, especially in the stormy conditions that threatened the area. Officials caught USC illegally deflating footballs in 2012, and fined the school.

Kravitz says officials took a ball out of play to weigh it, and that if the Patriots are found guilty of tampering with the balls they will lose draft picks—similar to the team's punishment for 2007's

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/deflating-feeling--report-puts-patriots-on-defensive-over-footballs--culture-since-spygate-scandal-080638511.html
I guess all 4 teams today should have done that. I don't think I've ever seen that many drops in a 2 game span.

Is it easier to run with a deflated football? Clearly given that indy can neither run the ball nor stop the run, deflating balls would have helped indy more so BB wouldnt ley that happen. Cheating is one thing, cheating stupid is another.

Is it easier to run with a deflated football? Clearly given that indy can neither run the ball nor stop the run, deflating balls would have helped indy more so BB wouldnt ley that happen. Cheating is one thing, cheating stupid is another.
Maybe someone said "Man, NE really took the air out of the ball against Indy" and it got misinterpreted. :fishy:

Do the team's prep their own balls? Seems so. If thrusting balls to their QBs liking, it would be easy to deflate if they're in your control. Sad if true.

They likely didn't need it, but they did start scoring at will after the half when it appears the issue arose.

They've scored at will in quite a few games this year after the thrashing in KC. Hmm very suspicious. I'm guessing these clowns will get caught again and forever have that asterisk.

They've scored at will in quite a few games this year after the thrashing in KC. Hmm very suspicious. I'm guessing these clowns will get caught again and forever have that asterisk.
Deflated balls would only be helpful in the rain.

So each team submits a dozen balls to officials prior to the game and they are marked. Ball boys, usually volunteer teenagers, handle the balls during the game. Great move by BB convincing some 15 year old kid to deflate the balls during the game. He continues to play chess while others play checkers.

Each team uses it's own set of footballs. The Patriots allegedly were the only team using the deflated balls (if true).

Obviously it had nothing to do with the final outcome of the game, but if true, it just tarnishes the organization a little more.

ATTENTION Pats fans: Most don't believe this incident had anything to do with the outcome of the game, BUT it just goes to show how classless this organization really is. One more nail in their legacy under Belichick. At the end of the day, if it looks like a duck.........

ATTENTION Pats fans: Most don't believe this incident had anything to do with the outcome of the game, BUT it just goes to show how classless this organization really is. One more nail in their legacy under Belichick. At the end of the day, if it looks like a duck.........
yup..guilty into proven innocent..right?

Last edited by a moderator:
You're going to give yourself a headache breathing so heavily through your mouth like that.

You're going to give yourself a headache breathing so heavily through your mouth like that.
weak

After the second half kickoff which Pats received, there was a delay until the new non-kicking ball was put in play. I don’t know if that’s when the alleged cheating occurred or when the officials became suspicious. I just remember thinking that it’s odd that it’s taking this long.

yup..guilty into proven innocent..right?
The organization has given us no reason to give them the benefit of the doubt.

I don't see how this is possible for any team to get away with. The rules state that each team submits thier balls :o to the ref before the game, the ref checks them for proper inflation and then they are held by the ref and other officials of the NFL including the ball boy All of these individuals are NFL employees, not team employees.

So the Patriots would have had to :

A. Somehow get a hold of the balls after the ref secured them for the game

B. Deflate them during the game

C. Somehow submit an unapproved deflated ball into the mix during the game

D. Pay off the official/ball boy to deflate them

Call me crazy but I don't see where any of these scenarios are possible.

First and foremost, I'm a fan of the game. I hope it's not true.
Tell the truth, most want this to be true. Most want this to further tarnish this cheating organization's legacy.
Really I don't. I think it would cheapen a great legacy, cheapen a win, and would make these boards even more unbearable for the next 20 years. It's like taking brass knuckles to a fist fight when you're the heavy favorite anyway. I was content last night with losing the game to a better team. Today, I'm having to deal with this.

Mike Tomlin body blocks a kick returner's path in a key divisional game, potentially affecting the outcome - no draft picks lost.

Is the allegation here that Brady's balls were better or easier to hold than Luck's and King Rog wants to personally verify this?

Tell the truth, most want this to be true. Most want this to further tarnish this cheating organization's legacy.
Really I don't. I think it would cheapen a great legacy, cheapen a win, and would make these boards even more unbearable for the next 20 years. It's like taking brass knuckles to a fist fight when you're the heavy favorite anyway. I was content last night with losing the game to a better team. Today, I'm having to deal with this.
How are you "having to deal with this"?

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

After the second half kickoff which Pats received, there was a delay until the new non-kicking ball was put in play. I dont know if thats when the alleged cheating occurred or when the officials became suspicious. I just remember thinking that its odd that its taking this long.
I'm assuming that is the smoking gun. The announcers mentioned the ball was still the kicking ball which isn't rubbed down like the game balls. They grabbed another ball from the sideline. This sounds like sour grapes to me from an Indiana radio station. You'd like to assume the NFL would have the balls prepped pre game. I guess we'll see, but I tend to wait because in today's Twitter world people report news to be first and use conspiracy theories like the kicking ball issue as proof. I heard Trent Richardson's mom died.

How are you "having to deal with this"?
I come to this board to read and discuss football. The mere fact that you responded means you are also dealing with it. Don't try to read too much into it.

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:
Take a step back as a fan and tell me how you'd feel as a football fan. Would you rather not hear about a potential story like this?

what do you expect from Belicheat!........ guy has been cheating his way to superbowls for years LMAO, this is nothing new.

Rule 2 The Ball
Section 1
BALL DIMENSIONS
- The Ball must be a “Wilson,” hand selected, bearing the signature of the Commissioner of the League, Roger Goodell.

- The ball shall be made up of an inflated (12 1/2 to 13 1/2 pounds) urethane bladder enclosed in a pebble grained, leather case
(natural tan color) without corrugations of any kind. It shall have the form of a prolate spheroid and the size and weight
shall be: long axis, 11 to 11 1/4 inches; long circumference, 28 to 28 1/2 inches; short circumference, 21 to 21 1/4 inches;
weight, 14 to 15 ounces.

- The Referee shall be the sole judge as to whether all balls offered for play comply with these specifications. A pump is to be
furnished by the home club, and the balls shall remain under the supervision of the Referee until they are delivered to the
ball attendant just prior to the start of the game.

Section 2
BALL SUPPLY
- Each team will make 12 primary balls available for testing by the Referee two hours and 15 minutes prior to the starting time of
the game to meet League requirements. The home team will also make 12 backup balls available for testing in all
stadiums. In addition, the visitors, at their discretion, may bring 12 backup balls to be tested by the Referee for games
held in outdoor stadiums. For all games, eight new footballs, sealed in a special box and shipped by the manufacturer to
the Referee, will be opened in the officials’ locker room two hours and 15 minutes prior to the starting time of the game.
These balls are to be specially marked by the Referee and used exclusively for the kicking game.

- In the event a home team ball does not conform to specifications, or its supply is exhausted, the Referee shall secure a proper
ball from the visitors and, failing that, use the best available ball. Any such circumstances must be reported to the
Commissioner.

- In case of rain or a wet, muddy, or slippery field, a playable ball shall be used at the request of the offensive team’s center.
The Game Clock shall not stop for such action (unless undue delay occurs).

Note: It is the responsibility of the home team to furnish playable balls at all times by attendants from either side of the playing
field.
I believe the pertinent part to this particular scenario is bolded. This "investigation" is mandatory reporting. For all we know, the refs could have been the ones that screwed the pooch and didn't properly inspect the balls before the game.

what do you expect from Belicheat!........ guy has been cheating his way to superbowls for years LMAO, this is nothing new.
http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/11414018/seattle-seahawks-pete-carroll-fined-more-300000-violating-no-contact-rules

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000204503/article/pete-carroll-panned-for-seahawks-players-suspensions

http://www.seattleweekly.com/music/951983-129/pete-carrolls-journey-former-loser-and

Users who are viewing this thread