What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Patriots being investigated after Colts game (2 Viewers)

Percent of NFL teams actively trying to steal play sheets?

• 0%

Votes: 90 33.0%
  • 25%

Votes: 91 33.3%
  • 50%

Votes: 19 7.0%
  • 75%

Votes: 16 5.9%
  • 100%

Votes: 57 20.9%

• Total voters
Time-check. In the next few days there will be at least one story of teams doing this kind of thing in the past. Pats-lovers will then change their refrain from "Nothing happened" to "See, it's common."

THAT is the part of this that gets old.

As noted above, the bottom line is that the Pats don't need to pull this BS, and yet they do it anyway ... and their SB runs get tarnished. It makes their great coach look bush league, and makes the players look somehow needy. So, why do they keep doing things like this? They can win without doing it... Can't they?
Part of the issue with a story like this is that very few people (myself included) have any idea of the process let alone if the Patriots actually did anything wrong. For example, all the game balls could have been handled by league employees and not Patriots employees. And a sampling of game balls from both teams could face random spot checks to make sure the balls themselves are being manufactured properly and meet quality standards. Balls from both sidelines at all games could easily be checked for any number of reasons. For right now, we have no idea what happened or if game used balls being checked after a game is standard protocol. It could simply be a case of a reporter hearing that NFL checking game ball = a headline of PATS CHEATED.

Time-check. In the next few days there will be at least one story of teams doing this kind of thing in the past. Pats-lovers will then change their refrain from "Nothing happened" to "See, it's common."

As noted above, the bottom line is that the Pats don't need to pull this BS, and yet they do it anyway ... and their SB runs get tarnished. It makes their great coach look bush league, and makes the players look somehow needy. So, why do they keep doing things like this? They can win without doing it... Can't they?
Part of the issue with a story like this is that very few people (myself included) have any idea of the process let alone if the Patriots actually did anything wrong. For example, all the game balls could have been handled by league employees and not Patriots employees. And a sampling of game balls from both teams could face random spot checks to make sure the balls themselves are being manufactured properly and meet quality standards. Balls from both sidelines at all games could easily be checked for any number of reasons. For right now, we have no idea what happened or if game used balls being checked after a game is standard protocol. It could simply be a case of a reporter hearing that NFL checking game ball = a headline of PATS CHEATED.
People also don't read articles anymore. So all it takes is a few headlines, and half of the people in your office will automatically think the Pats cheated, even if they didn't.

People making light of this because of the score of the AFC Championship Game are also forgetting that there's a game in a few weeks, and you can bet that if they find that the balls were deflated in last night's game, they won't be in the SB.

I have very little to add.

Serious question...if someone reports as ineligible, can they then step backwards for a lateral? I was thinking this is the next progression. I know an ineligible receiver cannot catch a FORWARD pass, but what about a lateral?

People making light of this because of the score of the AFC Championship Game are also forgetting that there's a game in a few weeks, and you can bet that if they find that the balls were deflated in last night's game, they won't be in the SB.
zero chance the patriots are not in the SB.

Serious question...if someone reports as ineligible, can they then step backwards for a lateral? I was thinking this is the next progression. I know an ineligible receiver cannot catch a FORWARD pass, but what about a lateral?
oh yeah, sure they can -- it's just the FWD pass that's relevant

that's why you see vereen hop backwards a few steps so there's no way he can violate that.

when he hops back and puts his hands up I'm not sure how much of that is decoy and how much is hoping they leave him uncovered for the pitch and run.

They can catch a lateral or receive a handoff. But they do run the chance of getting labeled a cheater and risk having an asterix attached to any yardage gained.

Let's make it easy. All 11 players on either team can get a lateral or a handoff.

ATTENTION Pats fans: Most don't believe this incident had anything to do with the outcome of the game, BUT it just goes to show how classless this organization really is. One more nail in their legacy under Belichick. At the end of the day, if it looks like a duck.........
You're going to give yourself a headache breathing so heavily through your mouth like that.
:lol: :lol:

I was using pronouns on a message board because typing out every noun seemed silly.
I'm not following you

Let's make it easy. All 11 players on either team can get a lateral or a handoff.
You see where I'm going with this though, right? Vereen reports as ineligible. The referee makes an announcement to "do not cover" this guy. Vereen splits out wide right and they run trips left. The Seahawks leave Vereen uncovered and then boom, they pop a lateral pass to him. It's coming!!!

Let's really shake things up. Let's just say the Pats not only knew what was going on but they planned and schemed to deflate footballs for the game with the Colts. And let's say that they also knew that if caught they would lose some sort of draft pick. And they didn't care.

Now I don't fully understand how having a ball with less air could dramatically impact the game, but if the Pats were convinced that they would make the SB by taking the air out of the balls, wouldn't that just be another strategic element of coaching? How many NFL teams would trade a draft pick to play in the Super Bowl? I venture a lot of them would. I know that sounds silly, but taken in context not every action in a game carries a death knell and forfeit. By rule, it doesn't sound like their would be major penalties for tampering with the ball (if that even happened).

So just like a penalty on the field of play in a game, a team takes off the field penalties as well.

I was using pronouns on a message board because typing out every noun seemed silly.
I'm not following you
Then you're an idiot. Go home.

"I've touched a lot of balls in my life and these felt normal.- Tom Brady :D David Dodds

Last edited by a moderator:
You see where I'm going with this though, right? Vereen reports as ineligible. The referee makes an announcement to "do not cover" this guy. Vereen splits out wide right and they run trips left. The Seahawks leave Vereen uncovered and then boom, they pop a lateral pass to him. It's coming!!!
But they could do the same thing with a guard or tackle. I suspect in the next few years a pulling guard will run a sweep and a team will be so surprised that it will go for a big game.

I'm not following you
Then you're an idiot. Go home.
The only sensible reading of you initial comment seems to indicate that you believe the patriots could be kept out of the super bowl depending on the outcome of this investigation, in which case you're the idiot. If that's not the case, then you have too feeble a grasp on the english language to communicate intelligibly and therefore are still an idiot.

But they could do the same thing with a guard or tackle. I suspect in the next few years a pulling guard will run a sweep and a team will be so surprised that it will go for a big game.
Come on man. Sure they could. But, to be effective and to take this to another level, put a speed player out there as ineligible, have him be left uncovered, and then Boom! I find it to be brilliant. This is one wrinkle I am on board with from the Patriots. I wish my team's coaches would have thought of it.

This post is hidden because you have chosen to ignore posts by ragnarok628. View it anyway?

No. Idiot. Not even right about the sentence. Go home.

eta* Let me explain. When reading a sentence, one would have had to have used "The Patriots," or some other obvious reference to the team in order for one to assume that one was referring to that entity in the later pronouns. In this case, I never mentioned the Patriots, but did say "footballs," which is what the "they" then later refers to.

You're projecting and misreading the sentence qua sentence. I just didn't want to bother. So now…you're blocked. And still stupid.

Thanks.

-RA

Unless these supposedly under inflated balls were only given to NE on their offensive drives...who cares?

Just makes look the Colts look worse that they couldn't pass more effectively.

Unless these supposedly under inflated balls were only given to NE on their offensive drives...who cares?

They were only given to the patriots offense.

They are apparently however also looking into one of the balls the colts used.

It's been established that each team plays with their own balls. :rimshot:

pizzatyme said:
FUBAR said:
pizzatyme said:
FUBAR said:
pizzatyme said:
JohnnyU said:
pizzatyme said:
First and foremost, I'm a fan of the game. I hope it's not true.
Tell the truth, most want this to be true. Most want this to further tarnish this cheating organization's legacy.
Really I don't. I think it would cheapen a great legacy, cheapen a win, and would make these boards even more unbearable for the next 20 years. It's like taking brass knuckles to a fist fight when you're the heavy favorite anyway. I was content last night with losing the game to a better team. Today, I'm having to deal with this.
How are you "having to deal with this"?
I come to this board to read and discuss football. The mere fact that you responded means you are also dealing with it. Don't try to read too much into it.
Some would say you (and I) are choosing to discuss it.
Agreed. Which means we are dealing with it, no?
You can loosely define "dealing with", but the key is choice.

The cheating just doesn't stop with these guys. Unbelievable.
So if you take a pen home from work is that "embezzling?" Is that worthy of being fired? Suspended? Just curious if things are only black and white or if there are levels of grey.

If you are operating with the knowledge that the ball won't be as difficult to throw as it should be, that is an advantage. It would change a game plan.

They were (if true). Did you read the thread. Each team uses their own set of balls on offense.

Lmao the amount of salt in this thread is ####### hilarious. The amount of "OMGZ THEY CHEATED" posts is even more hilarious. Gotta love how jealous the best franchise of the past 15 years makes people. I also find it funny that half of you guys are 40 and over, and yet you act like you're 12. Lets accuse someone of cheating even though there's no proof!

Lmao the amount of salt in this thread is ####### hilarious. The amount of "OMGZ THEY CHEATED" posts is even more hilarious. Gotta love how jealous the best franchise of the past 15 years makes people. I also find it funny that half of you guys are 40 and over, and yet you act like you're 12. Lets accuse someone of cheating even though there's no proof!
Not the best post to use to employ the you look like a 12 year old thing.

Now that I know more about the investigation, it's looking more like the Colts planted the flaccid balls to frame the Patriots.

There has been plenty of proof that they cheated in the past.

Once you are known as a cheater you do not get that benefit of the doubt.

If one of Greg Williams defense gets accused of targeting I bet he doesn't get the benefit of the doubt either.

Its not immature to dislike a team that has cheated and has had success. Look at A-rod, Barry Bonds, etc. No one likes a cheater. Its more immature to try to ignore their sketchy ways as long as it means winning. That's classless.

So if you take a pen home from work is that "embezzling?"

Is that worthy of being fired?

Suspended?

Just curious if things are only black and white or if there are levels of grey.
No, it doesn't quite meet the definition of "embezzling" (which is more of a financial fraud), but it is "stealing".

Perhaps not "worthy" of being fired, but it says something about the persons character and if your employer really wanted to it could be a trigger point for termination.

Same, as prior answer.

If your point is that this form of "cheating" is only a minor one, then most would probably agree with that.

The Pats scored 17 points in the first half and 28 points after the under-inflated balls were taken out of play.

Evidence points to Colts being the culprit here.

How come no one is bringing up the possibility that the balls may have become deflated from all the touchdown spikes performed by The Pats?

There has been plenty of proof that they cheated in the past. Once you are known as a cheater you do not get that benefit of the doubt.

If one of Greg Williams defense gets accused of targeting I bet he doesn't get the benefit of the doubt either.

Its not immature to dislike a team that has cheated and has had success. Look at A-rod, Barry Bonds, etc. No one likes a cheater. Its more immature to try to ignore their sketchy ways as long as it means winning. That's classless.
Embrace the stupidity and let us Pats fans know how it turns out. We'll be here, busy making plans for the Super Bowl :)

The Pats scored 17 points in the first half and 28 points after the under-inflated balls were taken out of play.

Evidence points to Colts being the culprit here.
I'm sure it's already been mentioned but, as a reminder, I'll repeat: Please don't bring logic to this thread.

So if you take a pen home from work is that "embezzling?"Is that worthy of being fired?

Suspended?

Just curious if things are only black and white or if there are levels of grey.
No, it doesn't quite meet the definition of "embezzling" (which is more of a financial fraud), but it is "stealing".

Perhaps not "worthy" of being fired, but it says something about the persons character and if your employer really wanted to it could be a trigger point for termination.

Same, as prior answer.

If your point is that this form of "cheating" is only a minor one, then most would probably agree with that.
I don't think my taking a pen home from work would be a national news story. I read it here first, but there are articles on every major news website. It's crazy how fast stuff like this gets out. Obviously their history plays a big part, but still.

pizzatyme said:
absolutely that could be part of the play.

I posted a bunch of links to analysis of the play in the trick plays thread, I think it was, for the maybe 1% of this board interested in x's and o's.

I'd refer you to that, as there are much better qualified to explain that stuff than myself.

what I think you should understand about that play is how the nfl rules are written, and how the pats roster is built to run something like that.

without getting into all that, I think vereen could certainly be a secondary read on that play, if not even a primary.

like a lot of plays you'll get the ball to different guys depending on what the defense does.

just to look at a simple play action that's common to everybody's playbook, you're using deception to suck in safeties and linebackers which schemes receivers free --- you throw to whoever is least covered.

Bigboy10182000 said:
Thunderlips said:
Bigboy10182000 said:
Thunderlips said:
I disagree....averaging 12 wins a season, making the Super Bowl twice during that time and playing in the AFC Championship game 6 times during that period and not winning a Super Bowl isn't an "accomplishment" to brag about. Is it nice? Sure. Does it show stability in the FO/Coaching Staff and talent on the field?.....Sure.....but it's more of a dubious honor than a bragged about one.
Dude.
What?....you think the Bills losing in 4 Super Bowls
Making 4 Super Bowls, in a row, is nothing big...I mean teams do that all the time...WTF are you even saying right now? The BIlls couldnt say #### to how many teams that year. One.

You make it sound like the Jags and Pats are on par, over the past 10 years or something cause they both didnt accomplish anything. That's nonsense.

I'll take averaging like 12 wins per and having a 60% shot at a AFCCG all day and I'd be willing to say every other team in the league would say the same.
I know this Bills fan would, too. :kicksrock:

There has been plenty of proof that they cheated in the past. Once you are known as a cheater you do not get that benefit of the doubt.

Embrace the stupidity and let us Pats fans know how it turns out. We'll be here, busy making plans for the Super Bowl :)
No one can take away your enjoyment as a classless organization. That is really awesome for your city. In all honesty I would take it if it were my city. But own it man. You have a sketchy team. So enjoy this time but 20 years from now when they compare dynasties lets see how it all plays out and what people actually give them credit for.

Users who are viewing this thread