What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Top Gear British edition (1 Viewer)

GroveDiesel

Footballguy
Anyone else watch this show? It's cheesy at times, but these guys are a great mix of funny, knowledgable, and amazing drivers.

Just finished watching the 2nd part of the Patagonia special and, wow. Not only was the amazing scenery, but I had no idea the Argentenians were THAT mad about the Falkans...

I love the show. Almost the entire series is available on Netflix if you want to see their earlier seasons. I think on Netflix it starts with season 2.

There shouldn't be a reason to note specifically that it's the British version. The British version is the standard....the US version is a joke.

You know it's a good show when even my non-car loving wife watches it for the laughs. Great great show. Been watching it for many years.

GroveDiesel said:
Anyone else watch this show? It's cheesy at times, but these guys are a great mix of funny, knowledgable, and amazing drivers.

Just finished watching the 2nd part of the Patagonia special and, wow. Not only was the amazing scenery, but I had no idea the Argentenians were THAT mad about the Falkans Malvinas...
:oldunsure:

yeah, Clarkson's been walking the edge for awhile-

With Clarkson at its head, Top Gear has been no stranger to controversy.

• October 2014 - The show's stars and crew had to abandon filming in Argentina amid angry protests over a car number plate that appears to refer to the Falklands War.
  • July 2014 - Ofcom ruled a Burma Special in which Jeremy Clarkson used a racial slur broke broadcasting rules. Clarkson had used the word "slope" as an Asian man crossed a newly built bridge over the River Kwai in Thailand.
  • May 2014 - The programme drew complaints when video footage leaked to the Daily Mirror appeared to show Jeremy Clarkson using a racist term while reciting the nursery rhyme Eeny, Meeny, Miny, Moe. The presenter later apologised for the incident - which was never broadcast - in a video statement where he "begged forgiveness".
  • October 2012 - The BBC Trust ruled comments by Clarkson which likened the design of a camper van to people with facial disfigurementsbreached disability guidelines.
  • January 2012 - Indian diplomats complained about a 90-minute India special in which a car fitted with a toilet in its boot is described by Clarkson as "perfect for India because everyone who comes here gets the trots."
  • February 2011 - The BBC apologised to Mexico after Clarkson and his co-hosts characterised Mexicans as "lazy" and "feckless".

Clarkson can't seem to hide his racism very well. Good thing he apologized for that One time that he did said something stoopid.

Last edited by a moderator:
October 2014 - The show's stars and crew had to abandon filming in Argentina amid angry protests over a car number plate that appears to refer to the Falklands War.
This is first level trolling here.
I never understood this one. Who looks at a license plate that says H982 FKL and thinks, "That must be British people driving that German car because the license plate kind of seems like they are making fun of the war we lost. GET THEM!!!!"

October 2014 - The show's stars and crew had to abandon filming in Argentina amid angry protests over a car number plate that appears to refer to the Falklands War.
I never understood this one. Who looks at a license plate that says H982 FKL and thinks, "That must be British people driving that German car because the license plate kind of seems like they are making fun of the war we lost. GET THEM!!!!"
Imagine a Japanese camera crew filming in the us with the plate PH1941.

The plate wasn't a vanity plate. If a Japanese person is driving around with that plate, I doubt people would throw stones at their car.

The plate wasn't a vanity plate. If a Japanese person is driving around with that plate, I doubt people would throw stones at their car.
I agree that we would take it better but it was also 40 years further back in our history and there is very little current animosity towards the Japanese in this culture.I wouldn't put it past a guy like Clarkson that that was intentional.

I agree that we would take it better but it was also 40 years further back in our history and there is very little current animosity towards the Japanese in this culture.I wouldn't put it past a guy like Clarkson that that was intentional.
I wouldn't either. But how hard would it be to find a Porsche with a non vanity license plate that somehow referenced the Falkland War? I get what you're saying, and I could totally see him trying to do something like that. But the logistics of it seem very far fetched. Just my opinion.

Clarkson is Top Gear. He can be offensive, but how can someone trying to entertain not cross that line now and again. The show is brilliant as it is, and it won't be the same without him.

For the third time now since I've been watching the show, Clarkson has mentioned how all the bad guys in American films are British. And every time he comes to the same conclusion as to why; because Americans are afraid of people more intelligent than they are.

I have my own theory. If you want a villain that every one will hate, make him a snob. Americans hate snobs. Brits have been perfecting snobbery for centuries, so it only stands to reason that an inordinate number of Brits are cast as villains.

Love the show, though. Hopefully the head snob will be back soon.

TheIronSheik said:
squidrope said:
Clarkson is Top Gear. He can be offensive, but how can someone trying to entertain not cross that line now and again. The show is brilliant as it is, and it won't be the same without him.
He's suspended. Not fired. Not yet, anyway.
Putting him on to tight a leash won't help the show either. This world of everybody needing to be PC is not the world I want. Can thinning skin be attributed to global warming?

ps-The BTG show where they drove around the USA south offended me. I get what they were doing, but I felt that they were taking some cheap shots at the god ole U S of A. I still watched it and enjoyed most of it. I could better understand the edit after I saw the last 10 minutes. We all have warts that we'd rather not see.

One article I read said that after his last incident, he was warned that it was the last straw and that one more issue would lead to his firing.

It seems that he is a jerk in real life, but it would suck if he were fired or the show canceled.

squidrope said:
If he's acting like this big of a fool, he deserves to be fired. You can't go around dropping racial slurs and hitting the freaking people you work with. You're right, though. It won't be the same without him. Great show. Too bad that ####### has to screw it up.

James and Richard are refusing to go on without Jeremy. BBC has an even tougher decision to make. At this point I can't see them flushing the golden goose over this.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/tv/news/%e2%80%98top-gear%e2%80%99-co-presenters-refuse-to-continue-show-without-jeremy-clarkson/ar-BBisFVH

LONDON — “Top Gear” presenters James May and Richard Hammond refused to shoot the show while their co-host Jeremy Clarkson was suspended.

The BBC wanted to press ahead with the final three episodes in the present season without Clarkson, while an investigation is carried out into allegations that he punched the show’s producer Oisin Tymon, according to a BBC executive.

The episodes would have used several recorded segments with Clarkson, and another with May and Hammond in the studio, but negotiations stalled, the unnamed source told the Daily Mirror.

“They didn’t want to do it without Jeremy, so the talks didn’t get off the ground. There is a feeling that it is all of them or none of them,” the exec said.

The investigation into the altercation, which is believed to have been sparked by the failure of the producer to organize a steak dinner at the end of a day’s filming, is being carried out by Ken MacQuarrie, head of BBC Scotland.

MacQuarrie will deliver his report next week to BBC director general Tony Hall, who will decide Clarkson’s fate. Clarkson is already on a final warning after he used racist language while shooting the show.

The BBC is also focusing on the role of the show’s exec producer Andy Wilman, who has been a close friend of Clarkson’s since they went to the same private school together. According to one report, a BBC executive is going to be put above Wilman in order to keep Clarkson in check.

“I think that people do see a way to resolve this, and that is by putting someone strong in to manage the show and manage Clarkson. He is a brilliant broadcaster — everyone can see that,” a senior BBC figure said.

May and Hammond are great supporting characters but they can't carry the show. It's liek giving McLean Stevenson hsi own show.

May and Hammond are great supporting characters but they can't carry the show. It's liek giving McLean Stevenson hsi own show.
They likely know the show will suck/fail without Clarkson.

I love the fact Clarkson is such an #######. I think he's hilarious.

This isn't a live show, is it?

Do they not edit it before broadcasting it?

Oh, and a steak dinner? Was it Steak and BJ day? Then I understand!

This isn't a live show, is it?

Do they not edit it before broadcasting it?

Oh, and a steak dinner? Was it Steak and BJ day? Then I understand!
IIRC correctly, they record the episodes the day before they air. Obviously the packages are done months in advance, but studio segment segments are done day before (possibly even earlier in the day)

I hate that they fired him, but I applaud them for doing the right thing when it meant hurting themselves.
I agree. I don't see how they can replace him, but I am interested in seeing what they do. I love the show so I wouldn't be against giving it a chance with a replacement, but I would be surprised if it worked out.

I hate that they fired him, but I applaud them for doing the right thing when it meant hurting themselves.
I agree. I don't see how they can replace him, but I am interested in seeing what they do. I love the show so I wouldn't be against giving it a chance with a replacement, but I would be surprised if it worked out.
But if James and Richard have already said no to working without him, won't they need to be replaced as well?

I loved the show because Clarkson, May, and Hammond were awesome together. They've attempted to replicate this show in the US with other people and it just sucks. I just don't have any interest going forward if they are changing out the hosts.

Sad. The guy has the one job every guy would pretty much kill for and he f's it up.

RIP Top Gear, one of my favorite shows because of Clarkson, May, and Hammond. :banned:

So, there's a show over in the UK called 5th Gear, which is essentially a spinoff of the orginal Top Gear. If you remember back to the second Us special (where they went from NC to NY) they were quite pissed at Stig and shot up cutouts of him. That's because the guy who was the Stig at the time quit Top Gear to go work as himself over at Fifth Gear. So, if I'm the producers of Fifth Gear, I'm calling the agents of Jeremy, Richard and James right now.

So, there's a show over in the UK called 5th Gear, which is essentially a spinoff of the orginal Top Gear. If you remember back to the second Us special (where they went from NC to NY) they were quite pissed at Stig and shot up cutouts of him. That's because the guy who was the Stig at the time quit Top Gear to go work as himself over at Fifth Gear. So, if I'm the producers of Fifth Gear, I'm calling the agents of Jeremy, Richard and James right now.
Yeah, I don't know if they'll get them, but I do imagine that those three will start a new show together. Kind of sucks for the BBC. They did the right thing, but they'll be the big losers in this.

Users who are viewing this thread