What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Official 2015 Cowboys Thread- 4-12. We won the 4th pick! (1 Viewer)

Bankerguy

Footballguy
I thought we should start a new thread. Post FA news and draft predictions/updates here.

I am hearing we may not re do Romo's contract. Talk of not pushing cap dollars forward which is a little surprising to me.

Last edited by a moderator:
I thought we should start a new thread. Post FA news and draft predictions/updates here.

I am hearing we may not re do Romo's contract. Talk of not pushing cap dollars forward which is a little surprising to me.
This is what I recommended the Cowboys do in the 2014 Thread:

"How the Cowboys could free up cap space to sign Dez and Murray:

They currently have an estimated $13 million of cap space. Cutting Melton frees up about $8 million getting them to $21 million. They could probably restructure two deals to get more cap space: Brandon Carr, who they could probably convert $6 million of salary to bonus, freeing up $4 million of cap space in 2015; and Tony Romo, they could probably convert $10 million of salary to bonus, freeing up about $8 million of cap space. That would give the Cowboys about $33 million of cap space to pay Dez and Murray, and sign players to fill the roster.

Like I said above, I think the Cowboys should go all in. Would I have said that about them last year? No, because they had no proof they were that close to being a SB team. Based on this season, and Romo and Witten having a limited shelf life, their best course is to try to win it all now."

Jones has now come out and says it will be difficult to keep both Dez and Murray. This would be consistent with not restructuring Romo's contract to push more cap dollars into the future. To me, this is the smart long-term move, that costs you in the short term. Now, if they let Murray go, and sign ADP to some Cap friendly deal, Then the Cowboys would be helping themselves in the long and short term.

If Jones starts listening to his people AND starts managing the cap well, then the rest of the league could be in trouble.

I'm thinking the Cowboys start off their draft in the trenches again, this time on the defensive side. The lack of sacks killed a couple of games last year.

Looking back at the last few drafts, the Cowboys are have been doing well. The 2013 draft was especially successful. That trend hopefully continues into 2015.

Draft Gurley. Let Murray walk. Use that money on the other side of the ball.
Don't disagree with letting Murray walk, if we can secure a good back. What about waiting till 2/3 to get Ajayi? I like him quite a bit. 1st round pick has got to be D-line or secondary......best prospect available.

My GM choices

Offense: Resign Dez, work with Murray on a 3-4 year deal with lots of guaranteed money(no state income tax, hometeam discount, solid O line here etc..)

If Murray goes, draft RB in rounds 2-5 and look at FA's.

Resign Free or Parnell. If both go, get OT in rounds 2-4

Resign D. Harris and Chris Jones(P)

Defense:

Draft D line rounds 1-2,

resign McClain and Durant or Carter in that order

resign Selvie

rework Claiborne & Carr's deals at a much reduced #

BigDave said:
My GM choices

Offense: Resign Dez, work with Murray on a 3-4 year deal with lots of guaranteed money(no state income tax, hometeam discount, solid O line here etc..)

Defense:

Draft D line rounds 1-2,

resign Selvie

This all sounds pretty good to me, if it can be done. Although, at what point do we cut bait with Mo? Our defense got better with him out last season. I'm not against keeping him, IF he gets paid appropriately. If someone else wants to pay him more, seeya!

BigDave said:
My GM choices

Defense:

Draft D line rounds 1-2,

resign Selvie

This all sounds pretty good to me, if it can be done. Although, at what point do we cut bait with Mo? Our defense got better with him out last season. I'm not against keeping him, IF he gets paid appropriately. If someone else wants to pay him more, seeya!
His cap number is not crazy like Carr, but it's still $5ML for someone that hasn't produced or stayed healthy.

If one had to go, it's Carr because $12.7ML will kill us for his production and hurt resigning others.

We save $8ML cutting him after June 1st.

Mo's #

2015 $2,607,887 Base $2,607,887 Guaranteed

$5,175,069 Cap Number

BigDave said:
My GM choices

Defense:

Draft D line rounds 1-2,

resign Selvie

His cap number is not crazy like Carr, but it's still $5ML for someone that hasn't produced or stayed healthy.

If one had to go, it's Carr because $12.7ML will kill us for his production and hurt resigning others.

We save $8ML cutting him after June 1st.

Mo's #

2015 $2,607,887 Base $2,607,887 Guaranteed

$5,175,069 Cap Number
So $5 mill vs. $8 mill against the cap. At least Carr is a decent vet.....Mo was sposed to be a shutdown corner, and so far is a 1st round bust. He hasn't reached Barbie Carpenter bust fame, yet........but he's getting there.

No, Carr is $12.7 ML against the cap. IF we cut him after 6/1 we save $8ML

I agree he's been way below average for where we drafted him for certain.

But, at $5ML for Mo and $12.7 for Carr, I think Jerry keeps MO.

I think Jerry should negotiate Mo lower toward where he really should be paid based on performance.

Give him an incentive laden contract that could be generous IF he performs.

I just think it's too tough to let both go and see us draft or get a FA at this point.

Jerry is just setting himself up to look like the hero when they resign both guys. If Murray gets a crazy offer from someone else then Jerry can say i told you so but I don't see that happening. Cowboy fans going to be happy and Jerry going to get all the glory, just how he likes it.

Are you allowed to rework rookie contracts under the new CBA? Last I heard on Mo's contract was that Jerry was considering picking up the 5th year option.

No, Carr is $12.7 ML against the cap. IF we cut him after 6/1 we save $8ML

I agree he's been way below average for where we drafted him for certain.

But, at $5ML for Mo and $12.7 for Carr, I think Jerry keeps MO.

I think Jerry should negotiate Mo lower toward where he really should be paid based on performance.

Give him an incentive laden contract that could be generous IF he performs.

I just think it's too tough to let both go and see us draft or get a FA at this point.
woops, yea I misread. I think I'd still rather have Carr over Mo at their current rates. Mo's had plenty of time to show us what kind of NFL player he is. But, if we get Mo to sign something like you mentioned above, we could save the $8 mill on Carr, and look for a replacement.

Giving Murray a big contract would be an awful move imo.

Any RB behind that line will be productive.

Are you allowed to rework rookie contracts under the new CBA? Last I heard on Mo's contract was that Jerry was considering picking up the 5th year option.
I think this is correct.

Rookie contracts cannot be reworked in the first three years. Since Claiborne will be in his fourth year in 2015 Dallas can try to sing him to a new/extended contract but I don't know if there is any good reason for Claiborne to sign one if it is heavily incentive based.

If he plays in 2015 on his original contract then in 2016 there are three options -

1. He signs a new contract with Dallas

2. Dallas picks up the fifth year option in his rookie contract. Since he was a top ten pick his fifth year option is the same amount as the transition tag number for a CB -- approx 10M for one season fully guaranteed.

3. Dallas does not pick up the fifth year option and he becomes an unrestricted free agent.

Giving Murray a big contract would be an awful move imo.

Any RB behind that line will be productive.
I love Murray, but his ball security issues cant be ignored. His fumble against GB gets overlooked because of the Dez play, but it prolly cost us the game.

Draft Gurley. Let Murray walk. Use that money on the other side of the ball.
Don't disagree with letting Murray walk, if we can secure a good back. What about waiting till 2/3 to get Ajayi? I like him quite a bit. 1st round pick has got to be D-line or secondary......best prospect available.
I am typically against going RB in round 1. I just don't think Gurley is a typical back. I think he's a lateral move--better running ability/won't be as well rounded as Murray--and that's huge, considering Murray was one of our top 6 players this year.

I like Ajayi, Davis, Coleman and Abdullah in the 2nd/3rd rounds as well. I just feel they're all a step down, at least year 1.

That said, while I'll be hoping for Gurley, as you said, we have major need on the other side of the ball. Can't knock addressing them early and often.

No round 1 running backs the last 2 years. In 2012 there was Trent Richardson, Doug Martin and David Wilson.

Heck, Murray was a 3rd rounder. Good backs can be found after round 2.

No round 1 running backs the last 2 years. In 2012 there was Trent Richardson, Doug Martin and David Wilson.

Heck, Murray was a 3rd rounder. Good backs can be found after round 2.
Good RBs can be found in round two. But elite RB prospect still go in the 1st round. I personally feel the gap between Gurley and and a 3rd round back is much bigger than the gap between a late first defensive player and a 3rd round defensive player. He's an elite player and a game changer. It also allows you spend the $ you would have spent on Murray elsewhere.

Don't get me wrong--I understand the counter argument. Hell, I'd making it, most years. I'm just very high on Gurley's talent level. I think he could be an AP level player at the next level. I personally wouldn't pass that up for good defensive prospects.

I think Murray comes back. He wants to win a SB. Money seems to be secondary based on his recent comments.

I think Murray comes back. He wants to win a SB. Money seems to be secondary based on his recent comments.
The team needs this guy back in the locker room almost as much as they need him on the field. Some teams win with overwhelming talent. Dallas is not one of those -- or at least wasn't last season. They won with heart and fight and scrap and a 'we are family' attitude. Murray is a huge part of that attitude.

Need some linebackers.

Sean Lee who can't stay healthy, De. Holloman, D. Watson, Will Smith, Keith Smith, Troy Davis is who they have. Who? A bunch of nobody's and never will be's.

Need some linebackers.

Sean Lee who can't stay healthy, De. Holloman, D. Watson, Will Smith, Keith Smith, Troy Davis is who they have. Who? A bunch of nobody's and never will be's.
:confused:

Lee

McClain ( if they choose to resign him)

Same with Bruce Carter

Hitchens is a rookie who played great.

Wilber is solid.

If anything, we have too many linebackers and have the luxury of deciding who we want to keep or re-sign. Did you even watch last year?

Ugh. The site I looked at didn't have Hitchens or Wilbur under contract for some reason. McClain isn't. But come on. Mostly unproven guys there.

Ugh. The site I looked at didn't have Hitchens or Wilbur under contract for some reason. McClain isn't. But come on. Mostly unproven guys there.
Our LBs are a strength of the defense. We are in desperate need of a pass rusher. Lawrence and Mincey both showed promise but we need another stud on the line.

No link at this time but i am hearing of a potentially very bad video with Dez that may be released in the coming days. Hoping this is BS but if true we may be drafting a WR a bit earlier than any of us would like. Hopefully it's BS but I guess time will tell.

I still am skeptical about a video of Dez, but it could shed new meaning on Jones saying he could only afford to sign one of Murray/Bryant. We all assumed he meant they couldn't sign Murray, but maybe he really knew they

couldn't afford to sign Dez with that video looming. We will see.

B-Deep said:
If there is a video lets get it out there.
This ridiculous media hype has already convicted Dez, no matter if or when the video -- if there is one -- ever does come out. This is looking pretty bad for Dez, but the witch hunt mentality before there are even any facts is terrible.

Free signs for 3 years. The OL is intact from last season. Lots more work to be done before draft day though.

First off...what the heck is going on in Philly. LOL

A few Cowboys thoughts:

Beasley signing = thumbs up.

Murray wanting 8 to 9 million. I am tickled pink to know we have learned our lesson, I want no part of that contract. Enjoy Jax or Oakland.

I think Greg Hardy is the only big FA who makes any sense for us. It is hard to find quality ends who pressure the QB. I am confident we can find players at 27 for LB, CB or RB.

I think we let Romo play at his current contract and bite the bullet on his cap hit.

Lastly....my biggest fear is Dez is available to be scooped up still. He can sign with another team and all we get back is 2-first rounders. Now shut you eyes and imagine that the Colts are the team. 2 late first round picks is NOT good. Extend him please!!!

A few Cowboys thoughts:

Lastly....my biggest fear is Dez is available to be scooped up still. He can sign with another team and all we get back is 2-first rounders. Now shut you eyes and imagine that the Colts are the team. 2 late first round picks is NOT good. Extend him please!!!
Hopefully they (Colts) sign Andre Johnson

A few Cowboys thoughts:

Beasley signing = thumbs up.

Murray wanting 8 to 9 million. I am tickled pink to know we have learned our lesson, I want no part of that contract. Enjoy Jax or Oakland.

I think Greg Hardy is the only big FA who makes any sense for us. It is hard to find quality ends who pressure the QB. I am confident we can find players at 27 for LB, CB or RB.

I think we let Romo play at his current contract and bite the bullet on his cap hit.

A lot of Eagles fans are scratching their heads, me included. I still have hope because Chip Kelly is a great Coach (not GM) but I don't like having a paper doll as my QB. Way to risky. I hope Sam Bradford Stays healthy....I hope this deal is a prelude to getting Mariotta......I hope Chip Kelly is a genius that I don't understand because I am not a genius..... I hope.

While the Cowboys have been quiet in FA, I like to think that they have learned to be more responsible. Yay.
Durant and Carter gone. I guess the LB corp questions are being answered for us. I'm thinking that increases the odds we get something done with McClain. Maybe move Lee outside with McClain in the middle?

I really thought theyd get something done with Durant on a fairly team friendly deal after an injury but I guess teams saw he played well obviously and perhaps he was looking for something else anyways. And it looks that way but has Bruce signed elsewhere?

Users who are viewing this thread