What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official Closer Thread: Kraft wasn't patient enough w/ Andrew Bailey (1 Viewer)

Eephus

Footballguy
Reserved for some poorly formatted depth chart that I copy & paste from somewhere else and eventually lose interest in updating.

Last edited by a moderator:
All-Star closer Sean Doolittle has a slight rotator-cuff tear in his left shoulder and he will miss the start of the regular season, according to A’s assistant general manager David Forst.

Doolittle, 28, is not expected to need surgery; Forst said that the orthopedists who have seen Doolittle believe that rest and a strengthening program will allow him to pitch without the need for any repairs. Forst said that the injury also could have been termed a shoulder strain, and typically it is something that is manageable.
Manageable

All-Star closer Sean Doolittle has a slight rotator-cuff tear in his left shoulder and he will miss the start of the regular season, according to A’s assistant general manager David Forst.

Doolittle, 28, is not expected to need surgery; Forst said that the orthopedists who have seen Doolittle believe that rest and a strengthening program will allow him to pitch without the need for any repairs. Forst said that the injury also could have been termed a shoulder strain, and typically it is something that is manageable.
Manageable
So Clippard is the guy now, right?

Manageable
So Clippard is the guy now, right?
Clippard, Cook, O'Flaherty?

The Dodger closer situation has lots of possibilities. The overpaid (Brandon League), old (Joel Peralta), unproven live arms (Pedro Baez, Chris Hatcher), lefty committeemen (Paco Rodriguez, JP Howell) and one-time closers on NRI deals (Sergio Santos, David Aardsma). Brian Wilson is still on the payroll as well.

It smells like a committee to me.

The Dodger closer situation has lots of possibilities. The overpaid (Brandon League), old (Joel Peralta), unproven live arms (Pedro Baez, Chris Hatcher), lefty committeemen (Paco Rodriguez, JP Howell) and one-time closers on NRI deals (Sergio Santos, David Aardsma). Brian Wilson is still on the payroll as well.

It smells like a committee to me.
K-Rod and Soriano are also still hanging out there at the moment.

Really hoping the Phillies trade Papeldoosh so Giles gets the job right away.

What's the deal in Tampa? Split duties between McGee and Boxberger?

They gave up a position player to bring in Kevin Jepsen so he may have a chance to win the job. Grant Balfour is raging around there somewhere as is the frightening Ernesto Frieri.

Mr. Friedman, it's Ruben Amaro Jr. on line one
Doesn't seem like Friedman's style to overpay for a "proven closer." Hatcher, Rodriguez, Baez, and Peralta all have some talent. League and Howell are garbage. Friedman/Zaidi seem like they'd be willing to try a closer-less set-up, it'll be interesting how they integrate with Mattingly who is, um, you know.

Sabes hasn't brought Wilson back yet? Think he was cut back in December.

Doesn't seem like Friedman's style to overpay for a "proven closer." Hatcher, Rodriguez, Baez, and Peralta all have some talent. League and Howell are garbage. Friedman/Zaidi seem like they'd be willing to try a closer-less set-up, it'll be interesting how they integrate with Mattingly who is, um, you know.

I agree about the Dodgers new braintrust (although they are paying $10M to Brett Anderson) but I'm sure Amaro will make the call when his Sporting News gets delivered next week.

I think Wilson's on-field rant at Larry Baer about his WS ring probably eliminated the possibility of a return to SF.

McGee will start the season on the DL - no clear view of how long he will be out

May go committee approach but Boxberger clearly the best arm there - Jepsen can throw really hard but has never been considered a closer

I agree about the Dodgers new braintrust (although they are paying $10M to Brett Anderson) but I'm sure Amaro will make the call when his Sporting News gets delivered next week.

I think Wilson's on-field rant at Larry Baer about his WS ring probably eliminated the possibility of a return to SF.
Yimi (???) Garcia looks solid too. They actually have a sneaky amount of live arms down there, even w/o Jansen for awhile.

Anderson, hypothetically of course, is a starter that could -- again, hypothetically -- give a team 30 starts. That's more upside than a 60/70 IP reliever can provide.

ETA: Working under the assumption that Friedman/Zaidi and Mattingly both see the game in uhhhh, different ways, seeing who they anoint as the closer will be interesting. I could see a savvy front-office seeing this as an opportunity to try a leverage-based, closer-less bullpen, but Mattingly doesn't seem like the kind of guy who would go for that.

I'm left-handed and could hypothetically have about the same chance of giving the Dodgers 30 starts this season as Brett Anderson does. Can I hypothetically get in on some of this Magic Johnson money?

Does Gregerson finally get his closers gig in Houston this year? Guy is great in 7th and 8th inning situations, but he was never lights out when he temporarily took over the 9th inning role on a few occasions in SD.

Economically he's a no brainer keeper for me at $2, but the armchair scout in me worries that he's just not built for the highest leverage situations, and he'll end up blowing the role.

Does Gregerson finally get his closers gig in Houston this year? Guy is great in 7th and 8th inning situations, but he was never lights out when he temporarily took over the 9th inning role on a few occasions in SD.

Economically he's a no brainer keeper for me at $2, but the armchair scout in me worries that he's just not built for the highest leverage situations, and he'll end up blowing the role.
The 9th inning isn't necessarily the "highest leverage situation."

Being a set-up man or high-leverage MR means having to come in to face tough hitters specifically, or get out of jams. Being a closer means (normally) starting with no one on base, at a more or less random spot in the order.

Gregerson will earn a lot more than $2 even if he stays in the 8th inning role - Qualls is likely to be the closer on opening day but remains to be seen if he can keep the job.

The 9th inning isn't necessarily the "highest leverage situation."

Being a set-up man or high-leverage MR means having to come in to face tough hitters specifically, or get out of jams. Being a closer means (normally) starting with no one on base, at a more or less random spot in the order.
Of course it isn't necessarily the highest leverage situation every game, but over the course of a season, one would expect the team's closer to accumulate the most high leverage situations overall. It's why other than a couple of exceptions, relievers with the highest WPA scores are also the guys with tons of GF.

Brewers re-signed RHP Francisco Rodriguez to a two-year, $13 million contract.

The deal, which includes a $6 million club option for 2017, is now official after being reported last week, as Rodriguez has been added to the 40-man roster. The Brewers outrighted RHP Brooks Hall to Triple-A Colorado Springs to make room for him. Rodriguez will be back in the closer's role for the Brewers after posting a 3.04 ERA with 44 saves and a 73/18 K/BB ratio in 68 innings last season. Mar 3 - 10:33 AM

Maybe it's his low K rate?
Probably, but good chance of that improving.

His chase and swinging strike rates increased significantly last year, more contact was made on those pitches outside the zone but that isn't likely to hold. If it does? He'll just have better than normal GB/LD/HR:FB rates like last year, which certainly aren't a bad thing.

Plus the Nationals should win just a few games less than the Cubs so there will be plenty of save opps

Storen

Casilla

K-rod
:goodposting:

Maybe it's changed in the last week or two, but I was surprised how low Storen was ranked most places.
He's going 60+ picks before K-Rod and Casilla in almost all formats. :mellow:
looking for where I referenced his ranking relative to K Rod and Casilla

:mellow:
Unlike 2014, I take full responsibility for derailing threads in 2015. I'm turning a new leaf.

BW3.

We're moving up in the world.

Plus they actually sell beer to get hammered from there ;)

I don't like their wings much but I do like their set up quite a bit.

Joaquin Benoit is a good sleeper closer IMO.

It's still the first week of exhibition games so no team's bullpen shows the potential to be a season-long dumpster fire like the 2014 White Sox. But chances are there will be team(s) that end up being a dynamic situation due to poor performance, injuries or both. Tampa, Houston and the Cubs look like the best chance for this happening but closers always have the ability to amaze and frustrate.

If you really like speculating, Miguel Castro is a dark horse candidate for the Jays. Gibbons seems reluctant to lock Cecil in as the closer, likes to use him in highest leverage situations possible, not restricted to 9th inning. Sanchez looked like a good bet but with the Stroman news may be in the rotation.

Castro was looking like a decent bet to crack the bullpen to start with and has been unhittable in spring. Was scheduled for 1 inning today, but he cruised through it and they left him in for a 2nd - healso k'd Wieters and Machado. Sitting 96-97, hitting 99.

He just turned 20 in December and has never pitched above A ball, but I'll be shocked if he isn't on the opening day roster, with an outside chance of him being day 1 closer.

If you really like speculating, Miguel Castro is a dark horse candidate for the Jays. Gibbons seems reluctant to lock Cecil in as the closer, likes to use him in highest leverage situations possible, not restricted to 9th inning. Sanchez looked like a good bet but with the Stroman news may be in the rotation.

Castro was looking like a decent bet to crack the bullpen to start with and has been unhittable in spring. Was scheduled for 1 inning today, but he cruised through it and they left him in for a 2nd - healso k'd Wieters and Machado. Sitting 96-97, hitting 99.

He just turned 20 in December and has never pitched above A ball, but I'll be shocked if he isn't on the opening day roster, with an outside chance of him being day 1 closer.
This can't possibly be serious.

Girardi today announced that betances is not locked in to the closer job despite rampant speculation. Miller in the mix and for those of you doing deep mining, apparently so is David carpenter.

Users who are viewing this thread