What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2016 Green Bay Packers thread (1 Viewer)

Yeah, that's not looking good for Guion. A gun, 190K in cash and 2 bags of weed pretty much means trafficking. Packers probably should be planning on being without him...forever.

Yeah, that's not looking good for Guion. A gun, 190K in cash and 2 bags of weed pretty much means trafficking. Packers probably should be planning on being without him...forever.
This. You know it's serious when a Denver news station covers the story. Check out the photo of what he had on him when arrested here: http://www.9news.com/story/sports/nfl/2015/02/04/nfl-player-gun-weed-money/22878247/

He won't be a Packer next season. May not be in the NFL. Truly unfortunate waste of talent.

Wonder if this increases the chances of Raji returning....not to mention, d-line just became a draft/free agency priority.

Last edited by a moderator:
This. You know it's serious when a Denver news station covers the story. Check out the photo of what he had on him when arrested here: http://www.9news.com/story/sports/nfl/2015/02/04/nfl-player-gun-weed-money/22878247/

He won't be a Packer next season. May not be in the NFL. Truly unfortunate waste of talent.

Wonder if this increases the chances of Raji returning....not to mention, d-line just became a draft/free agency priority.
Only thing going for him is the gun was legal, registered, unloaded and in a case.

Only thing going for him is the gun was legal, registered, unloaded and in a case.
Not really. Hey, he was a drug dealer, but let's give him credit for registering his gun?

Not really. Hey, he was a drug dealer, but let's give him credit for registering his gun?
The money was from his earnings with the Packers that he was taking back to his family, Looks like the story is now about a guy with some weed getting caught in a speed trap. Still not great but not at the gun toting drug dealing thug level. http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/02/05/report-letroy-guions-gun-was-unloaded-in-box-cash-from-packers-paychecks/

Wasn't giving him credit (saying that will help when he explains things...better than an unregistered loaded weapon in his pants) Think he is an idiot even if his story of taking cash home is true. Dont do it while toting around a bunch of pot...dont be toting around a bunch of pot when you are set to make a bunch more money for your family.

The money was from his earnings with the Packers that he was taking back to his family, Looks like the story is now about a guy with some weed getting caught in a speed trap. Still not great but not at the gun toting drug dealing thug level. http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/02/05/report-letroy-guions-gun-was-unloaded-in-box-cash-from-packers-paychecks/
Ummm.....yeah, that story sounds ridiculous.

Did Le’Veon Bell and LeGarrette Blount tell the girl they were with to eat the bag of weed when they were pulled over, or am I cross-pollinating Super Troopers with reality (again)?

Lots of good dlineman free agents.
Need a Guion replacement and some depth behind Daniels

ILB still the huge need.
I still think TE #1, LB/CB #2/3/4/5/6 but this whole Guion thing now really forces them to in some way address DL as well.

ShoNuff will call me crazy but I put TE #1 because its the position where 1 player will make the biggest difference to the team as a whole and even possibly the W-L column. Your looking at the ability inside the 5 to score TDs instead of FGs as well as another receiving target for Rodgers to lean on throughout the game against blitz and teams with 2 top CBs. (Nelson, Cobb, Adam, Lacy) all could be legitimate threats rotating in and out of the game but a true big time TE would really add another dimension. I am not saying R. Rodgers could not already be the #1 TE next year but we need a playmaker and if he is not ready for that role we need someone else to come in while Rodgers progresses.

On the flipside ILB is really just a piece of the larger defensive refresh where you can't get away with just drafting or acquiring 1 player and have more need to pick up 2-3 LBs and 2-3 CBs to add depth as well as hoping one takes hold as the primary player at the position.

My preference would be:

Cut ties with Hawk + Jones (or bring back at extreme discount)

Acquire Thomas (TE) in FA

Draft ILBs/Defense early in the draft (right now no 1st round graded ILBs so you could even trade back out of the 1st)

Thomas could get paid out of the Hawk/Jones salary that is freed up and you could still get 2-3 ILBs through the Draft/Non Drafted players. This would give you a #1 offense going into next season with still a likely upgraded defense.

ILB still the huge need.
I still think TE #1, LB/CB #2/3/4/5/6 but this whole Guion thing now really forces them to in some way address DL as well.

ShoNuff will call me crazy but I put TE #1 because its the position where 1 player will make the biggest difference to the team as a whole and even possibly the W-L column. Your looking at the ability inside the 5 to score TDs instead of FGs as well as another receiving target for Rodgers to lean on throughout the game against blitz and teams with 2 top CBs. (Nelson, Cobb, Adam, Lacy) all could be legitimate threats rotating in and out of the game but a true big time TE would really add another dimension. I am not saying R. Rodgers could not already be the #1 TE next year but we need a playmaker and if he is not ready for that role we need someone else to come in while Rodgers progresses.

On the flipside ILB is really just a piece of the larger defensive refresh where you can't get away with just drafting or acquiring 1 player and have more need to pick up 2-3 LBs and 2-3 CBs to add depth as well as hoping one takes hold as the primary player at the position.

My preference would be:

Draft ILBs/Defense early in the draft (right now no 1st round graded ILBs so you could even trade back out of the 1st)

Thomas could get paid out of the Hawk/Jones salary that is freed up and you could still get 2-3 ILBs through the Draft/Non Drafted players. This would give you a #1 offense going into next season with still a likely upgraded defense.
You're living in fantasy land if you think Ted is going to dole out $6-8M/year for a free-agent pass-catching TE (which is what Thomas is going to cost). That money is sorely needed to keep Cobb, whom will likely be re-signed for around what Thomas will fetch in free agency. Who would you rather have? Give me Cobb all day long.

Richard Rodgers has the potential to be a great TE - give him some time to develop. He's not going to be Gronk catching passes but TEs need to block, too, and he's been very good at that so far, and is already operating as the chain-moving pass catcher.

Cutting Hawk isn't going to save much money - 1/3rd of his 2015 cap hit was pro-rated signing bonus. He's only going to save around $3.5M, which is half of the annual base salary going to a guy like Bulaga if he's re-signed.

Your math/logic doesn't add up at all - I think you need to spend some more time studying the cap numbers and/or the Packers philosophy for signing players before you comment on a Packers thread any further.

Phenomena said:
TDorBust said:
sho nuff said:

ILB still the huge need.

My preference would be:

You're living in fantasy land if you think Ted is going to dole out $6-8M/year for a free-agent pass-catching TE (which is what Thomas is going to cost). That money is sorely needed to keep Cobb, whom will likely be re-signed for around what Thomas will fetch in free agency. Who would you rather have? Give me Cobb all day long.

Richard Rodgers has the potential to be a great TE - give him some time to develop. He's not going to be Gronk catching passes but TEs need to block, too, and he's been very good at that so far, and is already operating as the chain-moving pass catcher.

Cutting Hawk isn't going to save much money - 1/3rd of his 2015 cap hit was pro-rated signing bonus. He's only going to save around $3.5M, which is half of the annual base salary going to a guy like Bulaga if he's re-signed.

Your math/logic doesn't add up at all - I think you need to spend some more time studying the cap numbers and/or the Packers philosophy for signing players before you comment on a Packers thread any further.
Hows this for math:

Packers sit at $126 mil right now/ carry over $7.5 mil from 2014 / $140 mil projected cap / $21.5 mil to spend (more to spend by some estimates not to mention the potential of the salary cap actually increasing well above $140 mil)

Cut Hawk + Jones = -$3.7 mil which is a total of $25.2 mil to spend

$7.5 Mil for Draft - $17.7 mil left ($5 mil by some projections is what will be needed)

Kuhn/Bush - $1.1 mil (league min contracts for VETs but count as a 2 year contract min) - $16.6 mil left

Bulaga - $7 mil / Cobb - $6.5 mil / Thomas - $7 mil ($20.5 mil needed)

That leaves them $3.9 mil short which they could likely move some of the cap hits to next year when Hawk/Jones are completely off the books ($6.1 mil more in cap space) or possibly have the cap increase to over $140 mil for the year based on NFL Income this past year.

It can work is all I am saying but there is about 0% chance they get any big name free agents. Also the point of this board is to get EXCITED about 2015 not look at the roster realize nothing much will change except a couple new draft picks and go about your business. Last time I checked I am not having to project what I think the Packers WILL DO but just throwing out ideas of what I would like to see.

TDorBust said:
sho nuff said:

ILB still the huge need.

My preference would be:

The reason I call it crazy...8 years in a row of top 10 scoring offenses...6 of those 8 years it was top 5...twice it was #1 overall.

Yes...I get at times they struggle in red zone...but compare that to the defense which has had 3 top 10 years out of the last 8...and the rest were middle of the pack or worse.

Julius Thomas? No thanks...if we are overpaying someone, Id rather it be Cobb and Bulaga.

Phenomena said:
TDorBust said:
sho nuff said:

ILB still the huge need.

My preference would be:

Hows this for math:

Packers sit at $126 mil right now/ carry over $7.5 mil from 2014 / $140 mil projected cap / $21.5 mil to spend (more to spend by some estimates not to mention the potential of the salary cap actually increasing well above $140 mil)

Cut Hawk + Jones = -$3.7 mil which is a total of $25.2 mil to spend

$7.5 Mil for Draft - $17.7 mil left ($5 mil by some projections is what will be needed)

Kuhn/Bush - $1.1 mil (league min contracts for VETs but count as a 2 year contract min) - $16.6 mil left

Bulaga - $7 mil / Cobb - $6.5 mil / Thomas - $7 mil ($20.5 mil needed)

That leaves them $3.9 mil short which they could likely move some of the cap hits to next year when Hawk/Jones are completely off the books ($6.1 mil more in cap space) or possibly have the cap increase to over $140 mil for the year based on NFL Income this past year.

It can work is all I am saying but there is about 0% chance they get any big name free agents. Also the point of this board is to get EXCITED about 2015 not look at the roster realize nothing much will change except a couple new draft picks and go about your business. Last time I checked I am not having to project what I think the Packers WILL DO but just throwing out ideas of what I would like to see.
Who is going to play corner?

Better keep Bulaga. He played mostly very well after coming back from 1.5 years of injury (plus being knocked out Week 1).

Also, before Bulaga/Bakhtiari were installed, a lot of garbage cycled through those tackle spots. Marshall Newhouse started like 30 games.

Better keep Bulaga. He played mostly very well after coming back from 1.5 years of injury (plus being knocked out Week 1).

Also, before Bulaga/Bakhtiari were installed, a lot of garbage cycled through those tackle spots. Marshall Newhouse started like 30 games.
I disagree - I agree with a previous poster that Bulaga is replaceable. I do think the Packers should try to retain him but only if cost effective. I don't see him as a talent worthy of breaking the bank. Personally I think the priority list for the Packers bringing back their own should look like this:

1) COBB - this is the kind of talent and age combo that makes it worth spending a bit of cash on. I also believe he is possibly more valuable to the Packers' than most other teams. I'd be fine giving him Victor Cruz type money.

2) HOUSE - I think it's critical the Packers sign one (or both, if cost effective) of Tramon Williams and Davon House. However, I look at two things that make me heavily lean toward House....first, he is 6 years younger. Second, at this point he is a more effective corner (I recently read that Tramon gave up a 100+ QB rating this past season when thrown against versus a 70-something rating by House). Most importantly when looking at skill/age/upside/cost factors I really don't see anyone else on the market who gives the Packers better bang for the buck and I certainly do not want to see a DB corps of Shields, Hayward, Rookie

3) BULAGA - I think Bulaga is quality and likely the best tackle on the market. But I think that speaks more for the market than his talent. He is very good but not irreplaceable and the Packers have other players who can fill in for him with minimal fall off. I'd love to bring him back but only if the money is right. If he walks I won't be upset.

4) RAJI - With the Guion situation I'd love to see Raji come back (if healthy) on another prove-it deal. However, I don't think the d-line issues are as bad as others do, even if Guion and Raji don't return. Plus, if the Pack can bring back Cobb and House (and possibly Bulaga) they can focus on a couple big men in the draft and a cheaper option in free agency.

The great news is this team has the cap space, the know how and the discipline to really manage this situation. Even if they only bring back Cobb and House the roster is pretty deep with quality talent all over giving them a lot of flexibility to play the draft, be smart in free agency and still be a top tier competitor next season.

Who can fill in for Bulaga with minimal dropoff?
Barclay

I also see at least two young players in Tretter and Taylor who have the ability to move out to RT if necessary. I'm not saying any of these players are at Bulaga's level but in retaining the rest of the line I don't believe the dropoff would be substantial. Certainly not Sherrod-level dropoff.

Barclay

I also see at least two young players in Tretter and Taylor who have the ability to move out to RT if necessary. I'm not saying any of these players are at Bulaga's level but in retaining the rest of the line I don't believe the dropoff would be substantial. Certainly not Sherrod-level dropoff.
Barclay coming off an injury abd even healthy is a big step down from Bulaga right now.

I dont trust tretter as a tackle. Backup c or g is it now.

Not Sherrod level...but still a big dropoff.

Finally had a good oline to protect 12 and runblock. Imo...dont f with it.

Barclay

Tretter was awful in limited snaps at tackle and I've read articles that have stated he'd be much better off inside. I don't know enough to say either way, just something I've read.

They've been able to be successful with Barclay in the lineup, but he's a huge dropoff from Bulaga.

Either way, it really depends on the money. Not sure how much he'll command on the open market.

The Packers are going to have a really difficult time fielding a team that was as good as the team they had this season. Still can't believe how mentally weak this team was top to bottom. This was the year. Ironically the only player who played like a true Champion was Mason Crosby. Top to bottom failure. I still haven't watched a down of that game since they lost. I don't know that I ever will.

The only good thing to happen was Seattle losing the Super Bowl. Otherwise every time this team was featured on NFL films for their back to back Super Bowls, a lot of attention would have been called to the failure that was the Packers in the final 5 minutes of that game. The epic collapse became less epic in the face of Russell Wilson throwing that pick.

Going to be tough to pick up the pieces from this one. They might not be in that position again for a long time. To fail when so very close was inexcusable.

Bulaga is replaceable.
Dumbest comment in this thread. You need to read Vic more often.

You get the big guys first - and you don't let them go. I expect Bulaga to be retained before any other free agent this year - including Cobb, unless Bulaga's salary expectations are way out of whack. Rodgers can operate with any po-dunk WRs, but you need solid offensive line talent to protect Rodgers and push people around in the running game.

sho nuff said:
Reports are Cobb seeiing a deal averaing 9mil/year.

Structure it right and that seems doable.
Looks like Cobb is going to be a free agent!

I sincerely hope they do not spend $9M/year on a wide receiver - no matter whom. Rodgers can make it work with one #1WR (Nelson) and any other WR core in the league. QBs make the WRs, not the other way around.

Brady won all four Super Bowls with no-names at WR. Edelman was not even invited to the combine the year he was drafted, and he was drafted in the 7th round. He's also getting paid $4M per year. Edelman is great because of Brady.

Save that money for the big boys - re-signing Bulaga and bolstering the defensive line.

sho nuff said:
Reports are Cobb seeiing a deal averaing 9mil/year.

Structure it right and that seems doable.
Looks like Cobb is going to be a free agent!

I sincerely hope they do not spend $9M/year on a wide receiver - no matter whom. Rodgers can make it work with one #1WR (Nelson) and any other WR core in the league. QBs make the WRs, not the other way around.

Brady won all four Super Bowls with no-names at WR. Edelman was not even invited to the combine the year he was drafted, and he was drafted in the 7th round. He's also getting paid $4M per year. Edelman is great because of Brady.

Save that money for the big boys - re-signing Bulaga and bolstering the defensive line.
I agree to resign Bulaga...but don't agree with just letting Cobb go if they can get it structured right and close to what he is looking for.

Bulaga is replaceable.

You get the big guys first - and you don't let them go. I expect Bulaga to be retained before any other free agent this year - including Cobb, unless Bulaga's salary expectations are way out of whack. Rodgers can operate with any po-dunk WRs, but you need solid offensive line talent to protect Rodgers and push people around in the running game.
The thread has like 15 posts and you are wrong on Bulaga. Average and replaceable.

Bulaga is replaceable.

The thread has like 15 posts and you are wrong on Bulaga. Average and replaceable.
Yea, there's so many 26-year old first-round talent tackles out there in free agency that graded out over +20 on PFF last year. I mean, there's SO MANY. Like. NONE. LOL.

Considering the tackles in Bulaga's absence graded out at -17.2 the year he was out, I think you're GROSSLY INCORRECT.

Oh yea, the year Bulaga was out Rodgers had among the league leaders in being sacked. Where was he at last year? Oh, yea, 24th.

You're just so wrong it's laughable. I know offensive lineman aren't as sexy as WRs, but he's the correct priority.

McCarthy is such a terrible coach, I'm glad Rodgers has convinced TT to force him him to give up play-calling duties.
So terrible he has quite an awful record and his offenses have been terrible too right?
great QBs make everyone look alot better
Great QBs like Matt Flynn?

How about back in NO with Aaron Brooks?

I agree that Rodgers has a lot to do with things...but I think some people fail to admit that McCarthy also has a lot to do with Rodgers' development.

To call a guy a bad play caller...whose offense has been top 10 every year...top 5 most years and number 1 twice in the past 8 years of playcalling in GB...is funny to me.

McCarthy is such a terrible coach, I'm glad Rodgers has convinced TT to force him him to give up play-calling duties.
So terrible he has quite an awful record and his offenses have been terrible too right?

I agree that Rodgers has a lot to do with things...but I think some people fail to admit that McCarthy also has a lot to do with Rodgers' development.

To call a guy a bad play caller...whose offense has been top 10 every year...top 5 most years and number 1 twice in the past 8 years of playcalling in GB...is funny to me.
Do we know he had a lot to do with his development? Or is Rodgers making him look good?

Do we know he had a lot to do with his development? Or is Rodgers making him look good?
I think its hard to quantify...but his record as a playcaller in NO with Aaron Brooks made him look pretty good before Rodgers was ever a thought for him.

I think there is give and take and they fit each other quite well to make each other look good.

Sabertooth your abiltity to hate evrything about your favorite team is an amazing skill.
Bostick isn't part of my favorite team anymore. Glad he's gone. Next if they can somehow get capers out of there I'll be happy as a clam. Just because I like a team doesn't mean I can't watch them objectively.

Bulaga is replaceable.

Yea, there's so many 26-year old first-round talent tackles out there in free agency that graded out over +20 on PFF last year. I mean, there's SO MANY. Like. NONE. LOL.

Considering the tackles in Bulaga's absence graded out at -17.2 the year he was out, I think you're GROSSLY INCORRECT.

Oh yea, the year Bulaga was out Rodgers had among the league leaders in being sacked. Where was he at last year? Oh, yea, 24th.

You're just so wrong it's laughable. I know offensive lineman aren't as sexy as WRs, but he's the correct priority.
Average and replaceable

Users who are viewing this thread