sho nuff

2016 Green Bay Packers thread

3,833 posts in this topic

I don't see anyone in FA that I want really to be honest. I hope they just stand pat.

I don't see anyone in FA that I want really to be honest. I hope they just stand pat.

We could use this guy: http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000476595/article/vince-wilfork-tweets-patriots-will-not-pick-up-option

Yea, if he's cheap (<$6M/year), and if they don't address NT in the draft, sounds like a good pickup.

Just like Julius Peppers and Guion, Wilfork won't count against the free agent calculations, so that's a Ted-like move.

Edited by Phenomena

Cobb to Chicago, Harvin to GB for less money would be quite a thing (...that won't happen).

Harvin seems like a teammate from hell.

Harvin seems like a teammate from hell.

That's because he is.

Hawk was a sound player. Made the tackles that were asked of him to make. He didn't create the fumbles that were "expected" or the pressure on the QB but I don't think he was ever asked to cause pressure either.

He was a solid pick and played well. He was not flashy nor was he a trouble maker. Green Bay and their fans should appreciate that.

Yeah, he made those tackles...Eight yards off the line of scrimmage after a guard took him for a ride.

Hawk was a sound player. Made the tackles that were asked of him to make. He didn't create the fumbles that were "expected" or the pressure on the QB but I don't think he was ever asked to cause pressure either.

He was a solid pick and played well. He was not flashy nor was he a trouble maker. Green Bay and their fans should appreciate that.

Yeah, he made those tackles...Eight yards off the line of scrimmage after a guard took him for a ride.

Might be the biggest BS myth about Hawk.

If Thompson starts losing some of these players that almost got to another Super Bowl with, cue the Thompson haters... me included in that hater crowd.

Draft some other WR's/players and wait three/four years to "almost" be there? C'mon. Who, on the Packers, is he saving this cap money for?

I agree...most of his tackles were only 5 yards downfield.

If Thompson starts losing some of these players that almost got to another Super Bowl with, cue the Thompson haters... me included in that hater crowd.

Draft some other WR's/players and wait three/four years to "almost" be there? C'mon. Who, on the Packers, is he saving this cap money for?

Oh...going to claim he is cheap?

He spends up close to the cap every year. Saving a bit for emergency.

Typically keeps the young and upcoming players and pays them quite well.

This seems more like when he let the guards go thinking they were not worth that.

Cold this be another time he put a lower price than the league will put on a guy (in this case, slot receivers)?

Maybe.

Who is he saving for? Don't know. Hopefully Bulaga...but have heard no real progress on him either.

The real reason to be upset is because he could have locked up Cobb for cheaper last year.

This is not a myth, you just have to go back and watch game film. about 85% of Hawks tackles too place around 4-5 yards down field. He made very few plays that were for no gain or negative yardage. He lacked the ability to shoot the gap and get into the backfield on runs and struggled on shedding blockers. I personally feel he got listed on a lot of tackles that he was second guy in and ended up on bottom of the pile.

Hawk may have started 9 years for the Packers but that doesn't mean he had value, it was that TT just never got him replaced.

I hope there is no chance he comes back to the team unless it is just for special teams and reserve linebacker. I still can't belive he was our dime and nickel backer for so many years when he could not cover TE or RBs. Too many times he gave up big plays due to being in coverage.

The real reason to be upset is because he could have locked up Cobb for cheaper last year.

That was not going to happen his agent wanted him to get this season under his belt after being injured last year. Sure the Packers would have signed him to lesser contract last year but with Cobb being injured his agent knew he wasn't going to get his value on a contract last year.

This is not a myth, you just have to go back and watch game film. about 85% of Hawks tackles too place around 4-5 yards down field. He made very few plays that were for no gain or negative yardage. He lacked the ability to shoot the gap and get into the backfield on runs and struggled on shedding blockers. I personally feel he got listed on a lot of tackles that he was second guy in and ended up on bottom of the pile.

Hawk may have started 9 years for the Packers but that doesn't mean he had value, it was that TT just never got him replaced.

I hope there is no chance he comes back to the team unless it is just for special teams and reserve linebacker. I still can't belive he was our dime and nickel backer for so many years when he could not cover TE or RBs. Too many times he gave up big plays due to being in coverage.

So your proof that he was making tackles 8 yards off the los is to claim that film shows 85% of his tackles were 4-5 yards downfield?

BTW...what percentage of tackles by ilbs are better?

To claim he didnt have value and still started for a quality NFL team is just ridiculous.

He had value but let's face it, he wasn't a game changer. He was just a guy. But he made big money so he had to go.

Packers just signed Randall Cobb to a 4 year contract, locking up Rodgers and his weapons through 2017-18 and we are still talking about AJ Hawk, an ex-Packer?

Let's move on

Kudos to TT for locking up Cobb for the next 4 years for a very fair price for the Packers. Good thing he doesn't listen to the fans and panic once free agency hits.

Now lets get Bulaga done

Figured they would keep Bulaga first. Hard to see that happening now.

I'm think Cobbs money could have been better spent elsewhere. Love Cobb as a player, but there were much much bigger priorities on this team.

I wonder if Bulaga priced himself out of Packs market. He will definitely get more than 7 mil a year. What are all your thoughts? I have a tough time wrapping my head around a right tackle making that kind of coin. Add in the Bulaga hasn't exactly been a picture of health and its risky, IMO,

Edited by Balco

So your proof that he was making tackles 8 yards off the los is to claim that film shows 85% of his tackles were 4-5 yards downfield?

BTW...what percentage of tackles by ilbs are better?

To claim he didnt have value and still started for a quality NFL team is just ridiculous.

No horse here, but this link provides at least some insight into his success and aggression attacking the line and making plays.

http://www.sportingcharts.com/nfl/stats/player-tackles-for-loss/2014/

No elegant way to sort the data, but the best inside backers who also attack the line made in excess of 10% of their tackles behind the LOS. That has at least something to do with having good DT's in front of them.

Typically, they are somewhere in the 5% to 10% range, depending on their individual strengths and schemes.

Hawk was at 1.1%, or 577th out of 582 qualifying NFL players. Whether that was a "couldn't" issue or a "didn't" issue, I don't know. But the idea that he wasn't making the kinds of tackles at the kinds of quantities expected out of NFL ILB's certainly holds at least some water.

Why?

Why?

Exactly. I've expected them to keep both players all along, and still do now.
1 person likes this

I'm think Cobbs money could have been better spent elsewhere. Love Cobb as a player, but there were much much bigger priorities on this team.

I wonder if Bulaga priced himself out of Packs market. He will definitely get more than 7 mil a year. What are all your thoughts? I have a tough time wrapping my head around a right tackle making that kind of coin. Add in the Bulaga hasn't exactly been a picture of health and its risky, IMO,

What are these much bigger priorites? They already canned Slocum and Bostick. I guess they could still dump Capers but IMO they have the best roster top-to-bottom in the NFL. I hope they lock Bulaga up. Bulaga is the right tackle but he can be moved to the left side as well. He's very valuable.

He had value but let's face it, he wasn't a game changer. He was just a guy. But he made big money so he had to go.

Agreed...solid, unspectacular and average.

Why?

Bulaga will likely be the highest paid RT in football this season. I'd like to have him back, but that just doesn't strike me as something I'd expect Ted to do.

What are these much bigger priorites? They already canned Slocum and Bostick. I guess they could still dump Capers but IMO they have the best roster top-to-bottom in the NFL. I hope they lock Bulaga up. Bulaga is the right tackle but he can be moved to the left side as well. He's very valuable.

I cant think of a bigger priority than protecting Rodgers.

After that, one of the corners. Not seeing a lot of great ILBs out there so that will have to be addressed in the draft.

Agreed...solid, unspectacular and average.

I think he's in the top 2 or 3 for tackles all-time and first by a long way in assists. That kind of sums up Hawks career - he was always there to assist on a tackle. Lock for the Packers HoF, would love to be in the stadium that day.

1 person likes this

Why?

Bulaga will likely be the highest paid RT in football this season. I'd like to have him back, but that just doesn't strike me as something I'd expect Ted to do.

That's true and he's probably not worth it. He's good not great and he's been hurt a lot. He's the 3rd best lineman on the team behind the guards.

Why?

That's true and he's probably not worth it. He's good not great and he's been hurt a lot. He's the 3rd best lineman on the team behind the guards.

No respect... People seem to be forgetting 2013 when Bulaga was out for the year. That was a career year in sacks for Rodgers. He took 15 more sacks in 2013 than 2014, and a LOT more hits/hurries/pressures.

Nobody respects the big guys until they are gone. Bulaga's play this past year, his age, and his first-round pedigree make him worth $7.5M/year. I am also shocked they didn't sign him first. Pay the man. I want a healthy hall of fame QB.

I think that's part of the problem with Bulaga. Misses a lotta games.

Any DT/NT on the radar...or will they stick with Raji cheap (and think they will).

Ellis from the Jets and option for the line?

Getting locked into Cobb and Bulaga for 2 years each at a premium price for the position isn't an issue when the salary cap is projected to jump another 17 million next year.

They are god young players. Pay them.

Any DT/NT on the radar...or will they stick with Raji cheap (and think they will).

I'd be happy getting Raji back at <$4M this year. At 28 and losing time to injuries he's got a lot left in his legs, and has the size needed for NT.

I'd be happy getting Raji back at <$4M this year. At 28 and losing time to injuries he's got a lot left in his legs, and has the size needed for NT.

Raji was horrific two years ago (AJ Hawk horrific). Again, don't know why they want to bring him back. I would be looking into Dan Williams. Big time run stuffer.

Raji was horrific two years ago (AJ Hawk horrific). Again, don't know why they want to bring him back. I would be looking into Dan Williams. Big time run stuffer.

Raji at NT was good...at DE was bad.

Dont mind it as a cheap option...but not as an only option. Wondering if Williams signs elsewhere before Ted is even awake in free agency.

Raji at NT was good...at DE was bad.

Dont mind it as a cheap option...but not as an only option. Wondering if Williams signs elsewhere before Ted is even awake in free agency.

Just can't get visions of Raji using the swim move on every play. I am not sure what the market will be for NT. And we know TT doesn't break the bank on outside free agents (I am a huge TT fan, by the way). Williams was a difference maker on running downs which we really need. More so than ILB right now. Might just be wishful thinking on my part.

Agreed on NT being a need.

Just think Williams signs quick...and that is never TTs game. Stays out of the first week of free agency and lets the prices come down before slowly dipping his toes in.

Hos biggest moves of Peppers and Woodson were 2nd to 3rd wave signings.

He wont ever overpay for outside talent...which is typically a good thing.

I'm encouraged from not hearing anything about Bulaga. That could mean other teams are wary of him being able to move back to LT or paying him record RT money. The Packers have $7M/year on the table for him, which would match the current highest paid RT... I hope he accepts. Since no other team is heavily linked to him right now he might fall to the second week of free agency and only be getting offers around what the Packers are offering.

They are going to bring back Guiton and I think Raji comes back since very few teams want to give him money do to performance and injury of last year. I dont see this being a big issue even with Guiton getting a couple games off. They also like Pennel and Thorton kid could emerge with a full offseason.