sho nuff

2016 Green Bay Packers thread

3,855 posts in this topic

From ESPN last week:

GREEN BAY, Wis. -- Last offseason, Green Bay Packers coach Mike McCarthy said general manager Ted Thompson "might shock you this year" when it came to free agency. That turned into exactly one significant free agent signing, tight end Jared Cook.

If the Packers make any moves this offseason, Pro Football Focus thinks it could be at cornerback. The analytics website, in a piece for ESPN InsiderInsider, picked one free agent for every team. For the Packers, it was Los Angeles Rams cornerback Trumaine Johnson.

Rams cornerback Trumaine Johnson would be a welcome addition to a Packers secondary that struggled last season. AP Photo/Stephen Brashear

The Packers still have high hopes for the trio of Damarious Randall, Quinten Rollins and LaDarius Gunter -- who all played extensively last season as second-year pros -- but they would be taking a big chance if they didn’t make a significant addition at a position that struggled mightily last season.

Johnson would offer the Packers a tall cornerback (he’s 6-foot-2) who could help offset the loss of Sam Shields, who was released this month after he missed all but one game last season because of a concussion.

Johnson, a former third-round pick of the Rams, played last season under the franchise tag of $13.952 million. If the Rams tagged him again, it would cost nearly $17 million. The website Spotrac estimated that Johnson’s market value would be $12.4 million per season.

In 2016, Johnson had just one interception in 14 games. In the same number of games in 2015, he picked off seven passes.

PFF had another possible free agent cornerback target, A.J. Bouye of the Texans, going to Carolina. His market value was estimated at more than $11 million per season.

The Packers surely need help at cornerback after their pass defense ranked 31st in the NFL last season, but even if it did come in free agency, it would seem unlikely that Thompson would spend that kind of money.

I'd be surprised with a 10 MM+ guy.  

If we are going pie in the sky, I'd like Calais Campbell or Donta Hightower.  

I messed up my deltoid and widened the bone on my ankle, so I had to get two screws, two wires and a plate to fix it because I messed up my deltoid ligament,” Lacy said. “That’s the longest thing to heal.”

That's pretty concerning TBH... nothing that would make me think that he won't be able to run/play but that is a very significant injury. His price should be quite low. 

Posted (edited)

20 hours ago, Dr. Brew said:

That's pretty concerning TBH... nothing that would make me think that he won't be able to run/play but that is a very significant injury. His price should be quite low. 

So it's concerning?  Or nothing to make you think he won't be able to play?   Can't really be both can it?  

Edited by Sabertooth

Jacksonville is cutting Davin House.   On the plus side, it's another player that TT didn't overpay and let walk.  On the minus side, it's another draft pick that never really panned out.

1 hour ago, Sabertooth said:

So it's concerning?  Or nothing to make you think he won't be able to play?   Can't really be both can it?  

Sure it can. It's concerning because that's a significant injury and a rather involved surgery; it's not a sprained ankle which is no big deal. He should be able to play because it's not an injury or surgery that would hamper his ability to return. Some ankle/foot injuries and surgeries are real questionable to returning. The real question is did he gain weight and not rehab well while healing

50 minutes ago, Alex P Keaton said:

Jacksonville is cutting Davin House.   On the plus side, it's another player that TT didn't overpay and let walk.  On the minus side, it's another draft pick that never really panned out.

On the minus side, the need created when he let House walk forced him into drafting perhaps his worst first rounder ... HWY23.  You keep House, you probably select a linebacker like McKinney or Kendricks.  

1 person likes this

Lacy's size is what concerns me with the ankle. I gotta believe it will bother him long term. If they can get him back on a cheap 1-2 year deal, it makes perfect sense. He and Montgomery would make a nice tandem.

1 person likes this

8 hours ago, Alex P Keaton said:

I don't know about that. House played four seasons in Green Bay and was a solid reserve or 3/4 corner. He left for a crack at a starting job and while it went OK in year one, he didn't do quite as well last season.

If you get four decent years out of a fourth round pick, I'd say that pick worked out OK. He was never great, but the odds of finding great in the fourth aren't that high to begin with.

1 person likes this

7 hours ago, Sabertooth said:

On the minus side, the need created when he let House walk forced him into drafting perhaps his worst first rounder ... HWY23.  You keep House, you probably select a linebacker like McKinney or Kendricks.  

Would've, could've, should've. My hunch is you'd be vilifying House instead.....:D

2 people like this

1 minute ago, Man in the yellow hat said:

I don't know about that. House played four seasons in Green Bay and was a solid reserve or 3/4 corner. He left for a crack at a starting job and while it went OK in year one, he didn't do quite as well last season.

If you get four decent years out of a fourth round pick, I'd say that pick worked out OK. He was never great, but the odds of finding great in the fourth aren't that high to begin with.

I agree with this. I think he was a very good 3/4 corner, but not good enough to be a starter. He took starter money (and why not). It was very smart of Ted to not go after him. I was hoping that meant we'd try to keep Heyward but obviously not. 

Maybe Ted will bring him back as a 3/4 corner... Can't be worse than what we already have. In fact, I'd say he'd probably be our best corner. 

1 person likes this

On 3/1/2017 at 5:27 PM, Man in the yellow hat said:

To be honest, a decent 3 or 4 would probably be our best corner right now.  

Letroy is surely gone, right? Never was "Packer People" and plays like he'd rather be just about anywhere else. I don't see how they can carry him through another suspension.