What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official 2024 Golf Thread, pick up the pace, HCP be a changing *** (1 Viewer)

One issue I have EVERY golf year is...i get a little too comfortable as I play more.

That leads to a quicker tempo...poorer posture...stance flaws, etc...because I'm not focused on the basics, as I do at the beginning of the golf year.
This. I play better in April and May than September.

You ####s talking about golf while it's still 30 degrees here are pissing me off every time this thread gets bumped.

:hot:
I played yesterday ##### :P
Tried playing last October at the Atlantic City Country Club when it was similar conditions to our area yesterday.

It's impossible, I can't swing with a wind breaker on and when I take it off, I freeze my divots off. Gotta be at least 60 for me to get out there. And then, of course, we get the 5 weeks of mud as the ground dries out which can be equally miserable.

lol - I was just messing with ya. The ground was still frozen its was 28 deg. I had on 2 under armor shirts, a windbreaker and 2 vests :lmao:

I got down to just the windbreaker by the last 5 holes

I should have asked this above, but I'll just tack it on here.

What does "getting fit" mean for people? What measurements should they be taking? My gut tells me that the big box stores will just measure how tall you are and then hand you a set in a box.

Should I expect them to be taking lots of measurements? Should I expect them to be adjusting the loft and lie of each club after taking lots of measurements?
What do you consider a big box store? My golf galaxy fits you for loft, length and lie. Now whether the guy doing it is worth anything is a different story but they do check for all that
In my area its Pro Golf Discount and Puetz

I've also got access to plays like Sports Authority and #####.

I should have asked this above, but I'll just tack it on here.

What does "getting fit" mean for people? What measurements should they be taking? My gut tells me that the big box stores will just measure how tall you are and then hand you a set in a box.

Should I expect them to be taking lots of measurements? Should I expect them to be adjusting the loft and lie of each club after taking lots of measurements?
What do you consider a big box store? My golf galaxy fits you for loft, length and lie. Now whether the guy doing it is worth anything is a different story but they do check for all that
In my area its Pro Golf Discount and Puetz

I've also got access to plays like Sports Authority and #####.
Sports Authority definitely not. ****'s maybe. They have really updated their golf sections after they bough Golf Galaxy.

So I guess the answer is "it depends"

Last edited by a moderator:
You ####s talking about golf while it's still 30 degrees here are pissing me off every time this thread gets bumped.

:hot:
I played yesterday ##### :P
Me too. Tied my best round (91) since I started playing again last year. I've only broken 90 once in my life but I think I'm going to do it this year. I started lessons and I'm already seeing improvement, although that's not really a high bar to clear.

There was someone in this thread that was going to go see my guy Stu for lessons. I deleted our messages, if you ever made it out there, please shoot me a note with how it went.

Philly area guys should go see him at least once. He'll fix what ails you in an hour. As I said before, he's not just a former pro golfer sloughing around at a course as a "club pro". Some of those guys are great at golf, but terrible teachers. Stu is great at golf and a superlative teacher. He can pare the thoughts in your mind down to only thinking about 1 or 2 things on each swing. I was amazed at where my game was when I stopped the lessons last year. No BS - PM me if you need details.

(I don't get any refferal bonus or free lessons or anything of the sort here)

Been considering putting some money into new irons, but really second guessing myself. I bought a used set of Ping Zing 2s five years ago. They were made back in the early 90s, so they're at least 20 years old now. I'm 6'2" and the clubs are +1s. Not sure if they are actually long enough for me. I wasn't fitted at the time.

The thing that bothers me the most is the notion that newer clubs are going to hit the ball farther, but what I'm finding out is that the companies have just changed the lofts.

My Ping Zing 2s. I have 3 through SW in my bag.

Iron - Loft

3 - 20.5

4 - 24

5 - 27

6 - 30.5

7 - 34.5

8 - 38.5

9 - 42.5

PW - 47

SW - 52

TaylorMade Rocketballz from 2013

Iron - Loft

3 - 17.5

4 - 20

5 - 23

6 - 26.5

7 - 30.5

8 - 35

9 - 40

PW - 45

GW - 50

SW - 55

This is where I'm finding the loft information. There are probably lots of other sites that give the same information.

WTF? Do they think we're that dumb? Of course the balls go farther. They just changed the angles of the club faces. What a joke. Gap wedge? Sure, they need it to replace the missing club from before.

Also, I get to play rounds with lots of older retired guys in the early weekday mornings of the summer. Lots of them comment that they used to have the Ping Zing irons and loved them. Wished they had never gotten rid of them. Quite honestly I don't know how "forgiving" my clubs are. Perhaps this is where the newer clubs are an improvement? I'm starting this year at a 14 handicap, but I know already that that's a bit high. I've shot my handicap or better twice in the past few weeks. I haven't broken 80 yet, but I expect it to happen sometime this summer when we dry out a bit up here in the northwest.

Any advice? Do I throw some money at getting fit?
Wow, are you me? Same height, index, clubs, and dilemma.I enjoy my pings but they are 20 years old. However, I can't really see how a new set of irons will really benefit me for the cost. I guess they would just be more forgiving? I don't really have a lot of miss hits and I really don't need or care to add distance to my iron game.

I've been eyeballing a new set of Ping irons but I just don't know if it is worth the cost.

Also the fact you are +1 on one set doesn't translate all the time. I was hitting clubs at plus 2 but found some of the lies of newer clubs were dramatically different and could play some models off the rack since default lies varied

Any of you ever take a hiatus?

My bad play is getting worse. Shot a 102 yesterday. Swing plane and spine angle getting worse the more I work at it and I'm pushing to hard slicing everything off the tee. Handicap has fallen from an 8 to a 16 in the span of 8 months. I have zero confidence right now and didn't even enjoy the round yesterday. It's getting awkward too because my playing partners are getting legitimately annoyed and had one of them actually politely ask if he could ask someone else to play an upcoming tourney with him.

So ####### frustrating. I've bought a a smash bag and some rods and when I hit at the range I'm normal. Step onto the course though and it's like I've never played. About a year ago I switched to playing muscle backs and am now seriously considering switching back to cavity backs just to give my hands a break.
what percent of your practice time do you spend hitting fully shots with irons and woods vs. chipping and putting?
50/50.
move it to 60/40, 70/30 or even 80/20 some of the time.

No matter what happens (practice or no practice) you can still hit the ball and get it air born. You can scrape it around and still be respectable IF your short game is magical. You automatically become a better partner if you can get up and down and be a grinder. 300 yard drives down the middle don't mean #### if you can't chip and putt. Focus on this part of your game. Spend time creating bad lies around the practice greens. Practice flop ships, bump and runs....everything and anything around the green. I did this all of last year and it did wonders for me even when I went on my big trip to Greenbrier and the Homestead. I embarrassed myself off the tee for 5 days straight. I hit the ball like a 20 handicapper from tee to green. But guess what, I got up and down all weekend, pulled shots out of my ### and it made all the difference in the world.

Practice your short game and it will make the rest of your game that much better when you start hitting it well again. Plus it gives you confidence knowing that you don't have to hit it great to score.

• Smile
Reactions: Zow
Any of you ever take a hiatus?

My bad play is getting worse. Shot a 102 yesterday. Swing plane and spine angle getting worse the more I work at it and I'm pushing to hard slicing everything off the tee. Handicap has fallen from an 8 to a 16 in the span of 8 months. I have zero confidence right now and didn't even enjoy the round yesterday. It's getting awkward too because my playing partners are getting legitimately annoyed and had one of them actually politely ask if he could ask someone else to play an upcoming tourney with him.

So ####### frustrating. I've bought a a smash bag and some rods and when I hit at the range I'm normal. Step onto the course though and it's like I've never played. About a year ago I switched to playing muscle backs and am now seriously considering switching back to cavity backs just to give my hands a break.
If you are looking to go the lesson route, I highly suggest GolfTec. They're partnered with Golfsmith although the one I go to is a stand alone location. Your problems sound much more mental than physical - but if you are looking to get a set of eyes to analyze you, this is the place to go if you are a visual learner like I am, particularly with golf. Every swing is recorded and gone over frame by frame with the instructor, and you wear sensors that record all different measurements such as hip and shoulder tilt, bend, rotation, sway etc. It's a great way to see if/where your sequencing is off, or if something is over/underactive in the swing. In my case, my hips rotate open way too fast so I'm working on getting my weight forward through my swing better (hip sway). Seeing your swing frame by frame and noticing exactly when and how much my hips are opening upon downswing has made a significant difference over a guy just standing there and trying to tell me what I did wrong.

• Smile
Reactions: Zow
I recorded my swing a few times in the last couple years but I don't know how to correct. Need a few lessons and I know I could improve dramatically.

240 fps on the 6+ is like watching the slow-mo camera at the tee on TV. Pretty cool.

So I went golfing over Christmas and played the front nine fairly well. But on the back nine, my legs felt like jello when I tried to move. I woke up the next day in horrible pain. Lasted for a week. When I went to buy my new driver, I took about 15 swings with it and started to feel the pain again. Hip issues. At 41 years old. Going on Friday to get injections. Hopefully it takes this pain away. Otherwise I may be selling a never used driver and irons on Ebay.

So I went golfing over Christmas and played the front nine fairly well. But on the back nine, my legs felt like jello when I tried to move. I woke up the next day in horrible pain. Lasted for a week. When I went to buy my new driver, I took about 15 swings with it and started to feel the pain again. Hip issues. At 41 years old. Going on Friday to get injections. Hopefully it takes this pain away. Otherwise I may be selling a never used driver and irons on Ebay.
Forget the shots. You'll feel good, then they'll wear off and you will either need to go get them again or be contemplating hanging em up again. Go see a physical therapist to see if there's an signifcant range of motion issues in your back, hips, shoulders etc. You'd be surprised how much the body can compensate for lack of hip mobility with excesss lower back rotation - a motion that is not supposed to take place in the lumbar spine region. You may not notice it or feel it while you're doing it, but you can and will certain notice the after effects.

Also recommend purchasing a foam roller to do soft tissue work yourself to help keep your low back, glutes and hip flexors loose.

Forget the shots. You'll feel good, then they'll wear off and you will either need to go get them again or be contemplating hanging em up again. Go see a physical therapist to see if there's an signifcant range of motion issues in your back, hips, shoulders etc. You'd be surprised how much the body can compensate for lack of hip mobility with excesss lower back rotation - a motion that is not supposed to take place in the lumbar spine region. You may not notice it or feel it while you're doing it, but you can and will certain notice the after effects.

Also recommend purchasing a foam roller to do soft tissue work yourself to help keep your low back, glutes and hip flexors loose.
Had PT. I think it's arthritis.

Ever try an inversion table? Those things work wonders.
No. I've had back problems and they are almost taken care of. Still have a bad back, but that's mostly just my age. This is my actual hips. It's painful to walk, sleep, sit or lay down. Other than that, feels great. Been dealing with the hip issues for about a year now, but it's gotten unbearable over the past couple of months.

Had PT. I think it's arthritis.
Drink bone broth. Do hip mobility work. Get a better PT. Play golf.

I know I've talked about wgt.com here before but they released an Ipad app recently that has all the same abilities as the real game.

The graphics are incredible. Best I've ever seen on a golf game.

The game play is same old wgt... Rules and super realistic

We can still start a fbg country club and play any time at any course. Tournaments, scrambles, etc

And now you don't need a computer to play.

If we have 4 or 5 guys I'll set up a country club and get this going.

I know I've talked about wgt.com here before but they released an Ipad app recently that has all the same abilities as the real game.

The graphics are incredible. Best I've ever seen on a golf game.

The game play is same old wgt... Rules and super realistic

We can still start a fbg country club and play any time at any course. Tournaments, scrambles, etc

And now you don't need a computer to play.

If we have 4 or 5 guys I'll set up a country club and get this going.
In.

Shot a typical 83 today

48 on the front, 35 on the back.

Don't understand why I skull every wedge early and can't make a putt til I don't give a ####.

To b honest I've done the reverse also but that makes more sense to me.

Never shot 35-35

Two rounds this year, 88 and a 92 (pretty windy). If I can keep the ball on the course i should be in the low to mid 80s by June.

Goal is to walk 18 at least 2x month and sneak in more weekday 9's.

Question for you guys, I have recently moved to a new area and I have not played much golf at all for several years. I was never very good, was happy to break 100. I want to start playing again but I have nobody to play with. I know I could probably go to the course and get paired up with random people but I hate doing that. I jsut get more nervous and know I will really play awful. Anyone else ever have this issue? Did you just go to the course and play with anyone? Most courses around here do not like to let you play as a single.

Question for you guys, I have recently moved to a new area and I have not played much golf at all for several years. I was never very good, was happy to break 100. I want to start playing again but I have nobody to play with. I know I could probably go to the course and get paired up with random people but I hate doing that. I jsut get more nervous and know I will really play awful. Anyone else ever have this issue? Did you just go to the course and play with anyone? Most courses around here do not like to let you play as a single.
Same thing I went through when I moved to Philly

Sucks. Try to go very late in the day or during the middle of a week day if you can to start.

Eventually you'll get paired up with someone who sucks just as much as you and you can exchange numbers and pair up to play in the future

Where are you? My suggestion is to go a site like www.teeoff.com or golf now and book a single knowing you'll be paired up with some other golfers. Might be a way to try some courses and find some golf buddies.

Thanks for the tips guys. I figured I will just have to get out there and meet some people. I just wanted to avoid getting paired up with good players and slowing them down. I think I will try the late afternoons/evenings and see if I can get on. Should be able to meet some people and get a regular game going hopefully.

Great suggestions. I had "lower back" issues for years. Would throw it out once a year. Turns out wasn't my back at all. Tight hamstrings and hip flexors. Now I pretty religiously do 4 things..1) Foam roller 2) rotations with weighted medicine ball (amazing how I get stretched, back cracks, etc) 3) stretch hamstrings with bands 4) hip flexor exercises - lift right knee up, swing out to the right, alternate legs 10X each, etc. Since I've done that I haven't had an issue in almost 6 years. You may be having a real hip issue - but make sure you're stretching.

Thanks for the tips guys. I figured I will just have to get out there and meet some people. I just wanted to avoid getting paired up with good players and slowing them down. I think I will try the late afternoons/evenings and see if I can get on. Should be able to meet some people and get a regular game going hopefully.
Actually you want to pair up with better players. You learn nothing from hacks. I'm single digit and frankly don't care about a player partner's ability level as long as they play reasonably quickly, respect the game (fix divots, rake bunkers, don't walk in my line) and are pleasant. I'm out there to have a good time. Love meeting new people who are interesting.

Re good players - learn from them. See how they play the course backwards, from green back to tee, setting up each shot. See how they manage risk/reward, not always trying to pull off the hero shot. See how they don't always pull out a 3 wood when 250 out on a par 5. Watch the emphasis on the short game.

Where are you? My suggestion is to go a site like www.teeoff.com or golf now and book a single knowing you'll be paired up with some other golfers. Might be a way to try some courses and find some golf buddies.
Also

use this method...

Look for tee times that say "3 More Golfers" Needed.

That, way, guess what? You're definitely golfing with at least one other single. So at least you won't wind up grouped up with a group of 3 people who might be there with 8 other friends at a bachelor party or something.

Luckily I'm in marketing/sales. So it didn't take long to find an entire host of people in the business who wanted me to take them golfing.

Hit the range today. Dealing w a problem I started having the end of season last year.

Middle finger on my right hand (I'm right handed). The tip of my finger hurts after swinging and the nail starts to pull away from the skin to the point where there's blood. Something is wrong, but I haven't changed my grip other than strengthening it a bit.

It's the side of the nail that pulls away from the skin. If you look at your middle finger it's the right hand side of the nail that pulls/bleeds.

Try taping it? 2 gloves? It gets to the point where I have to stop a round due to fear of the nail coming off altogether.

Wtf?

Hit the range today. Dealing w a problem I started having the end of season last year.

Middle finger on my right hand (I'm right handed). The tip of my finger hurts after swinging and the nail starts to pull away from the skin to the point where there's blood. Something is wrong, but I haven't changed my grip other than strengthening it a bit.

It's the side of the nail that pulls away from the skin. If you look at your middle finger it's the right hand side of the nail that pulls/bleeds.

Try taping it? 2 gloves? It gets to the point where I have to stop a round due to fear of the nail coming off altogether.

Wtf?
Overlap or interlock?

I would avoid going with a strong grip with your right hand. Keep the club in the fingers of your right hand as much as possible.

Also....gripping too tight? Cheesy tip I always tell....grip the club like you are holding a bird. Tight enough so he doesn't fly away, but no so tight you hurt him.

Hack

You're saying...overcook my grip like I normally do with my left hand but leave the right hand in the same natural neutral position?

It would require the bases of my thumbs to be overlapping a bit too much I think, but I will try it.

My grip is not too tight as far as I can tell but I'll try to be conscious of it.

Maybe it's as simple as keeping my nails more trimmed :shrug:

They aren't long but I haven't cut them either in a few days.

Hack

You're saying...overcook my grip like I normally do with my left hand but leave the right hand in the same natural neutral position?

It would require the bases of my thumbs to be overlapping a bit too much I think, but I will try it.

My grip is not too tight as far as I can tell but I'll try to be conscious of it.

Maybe it's as simple as keeping my nails more trimmed :shrug:

They aren't long but I haven't cut them either in a few days.
If you want to strengthen it, yes, slide your left a bit further over and keep right hand the same.

I have to check out that app above but is there a good golf game for the iPad? I was playing one on my iPad 2 but bought a new iPad and the stuff didn't carry over and I didn't want to start from the bottom again.

Anyway, I made mention long ago that I'm looking for a big head driver, prefer callaway, and the Hot X 2 is $170 at golf Galaxy. Not sure if they have them in the store or if I have to go online for it but is that a good price and is that one of the better drivers? I know it gets great reviews so I'm simply wondering.

I have to check out that app above but is there a good golf game for the iPad? I was playing one on my iPad 2 but bought a new iPad and the stuff didn't carry over and I didn't want to start from the bottom again.

Anyway, I made mention long ago that I'm looking for a big head driver, prefer callaway, and the Hot X 2 is $170 at golf Galaxy. Not sure if they have them in the store or if I have to go online for it but is that a good price and is that one of the better drivers? I know it gets great reviews so I'm simply wondering.
The WGT game above.

There is no competition if you want an as real as possible golf game.

It's free to DL but to upgrade your equipment in the future you may spend a few sheckles. You can watch sponsor videos and take easy surveys for a good amount of coins.

The stock equipment is fine, but the game is hard and you'll eventually want to get a bigger driver and a nice set of balls.

Users who are viewing this thread