What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official 2024 Golf Thread, pick up the pace, HCP be a changing *** (1 Viewer)

Was on the 11th hole of our 2 man better ball at the Club this Saturday but had to leave as got the call my Grandaughter was about to be born. Worth leaving for!

Taking lessons. Ball striking has been so sporadic. Short game good enough to have 7.6 index but tired of slopping it around and relying on short game to make pars. I needed more early wrist ####. Think height from spin not clubface angle, swing harder. Wants me to use 1 club shorter on every shot for a month.  Basically have a lot of swing speed left. Said don’t be a #####. Paying attention to sound at impact and using foot spray instead of tape to see impact. Can’t be low on the face. Basically I’m releasing too early but I knew that. Hopefully I can fix. 

Judge Smails said:
Was on the 11th hole of our 2 man better ball at the Club this Saturday but had to leave as got the call my Grandaughter was about to be born. Worth leaving for!

Taking lessons. Ball striking has been so sporadic. Short game good enough to have 7.6 index but tired of slopping it around and relying on short game to make pars. I needed more early wrist ####. Think height from spin not clubface angle, swing harder. Wants me to use 1 club shorter on every shot for a month.  Basically have a lot of swing speed left. Said don’t be a #####. Paying attention to sound at impact and using foot spray instead of tape to see impact. Can’t be low on the face. Basically I’m releasing too early but I knew that. Hopefully I can fix. 
that video that Jayrok posted the guy specifically talked about driving your right elbow through impact past your right thigh.    This little idea has kept me from "early release" alone.

Back from my Ireland trip.  It was really special, but we lost about a day and a half flying out of JFK.  Worst Airport Ever.  Only lost 9 holes though, but we were compressed and missed out on replays and/or some off course things.

Day 1 - Dromoland Castle, fresh off the plane.  We arrived in Shannon at about 5 pm and headed straight to Dromoland (15 minute drive from the airport), where we picked up our clubs and played 9.  We were pretty shattered from all the flying but it felt good to walk and it's a very nice course.  I don't remember too much of it, but was instantly struck by how accommodating and friendly the staff, other players, and people were generally.    Here's the view from the 8th tee.  We only played 9 because we still had a 2 hour drive to Killarney, where we were staying.  The drive, and all driving in Ireland, was terrifying. Driving on the left, in the right side of the car, crazy narrow roads, tour buses, and incomprehensible and conflicting signs.  My favorite part of each day was parking the car at the hotel and walking in search of a Guinness.  Get the GPS, and/or hire a driver if you can.

Day 2 - Killarney (Killeen) - A very nice course that has multiple holes along the shore of a beautiful lake (Lough Leane) in Killarney National Park.  Had some tricky holes and accuracy was certainly required.  It's hosted the Irish Open several times, and I'm guessing now it would be considered a bit short for a big tournament like that today.  Here's the view from #3 tee

Dingle (Cheann Sibeal) - Our first taste of links golf- about 1.5 hours west of Killarney out on the Dingle Peninsula.  The drive was terrifying but the scenery was fantastic.  Although it's very modest, and not as spectacular or "oceanfront" as other links courses in the area (Dooks, Waterville, Tralee, Ballybunion), it is a really fun course that was designed by one of Ireland's top golf architects, Eddie Hacket using the land as he found it. Up the hill, down the hill, across a burn on almost every hole, by around pot bunkers.  It was a fun test.   Photo Photo Photo   

Day 3 - Dooks - Far and away our favorite course.  A links course that sits on a hilly peninsula overlooking Dingle Bay that is covered with dunes and wild grasses.  We hired a caddy who was great company and provided a wealth of info both on ("hit it low" - "you won't find the hole over there Boy") and off (sent us to a 400 year old festival where a wild goat gets crowned king) the course.  With his help, my boys only lost about 2 balls each, which is truly astounding considering how badly they spray it.  Very playable, but very difficult to score well if the wind is blowing, which is always, as it is so exposed to the elements.    Photo Photo Photo Photo

Day 4 - Killarney (Mahony's Point) - The most forgiving of the courses we played off the tee, with great views of the lake and surrounding areas.  Nothing spectacular, but a very fun, playable course in a great setting.  Photo Photo

After leaving Killarney, we then went on a 6 day bike trip near Galway and the Connemara coast, and drove by Lahinch, which is one of the coolest looking courses i have ever seen.  Definitely another golf trip with my buddies is in store - it is already in the works.  I'd like to try to schedule golf around Open competitions that they have at most of the courses - For about 20-30 Euros, which also covers your greens fees, you enter a one-day competition where your name gets picked out of a hat and you get paired up with locals to play a scramble, best ball, etc..  Beside the cheap cost, the Irish are all so friendly and great company that this sounds like a no-brainer to me.  Example 

Next time, I want to play nothing but links courses, and want to check out some of the lesser known courses on the west coast like Kilkee, Lahinch Castle and Connemara.  There are also a bunch of dirt cheap 9 hole courses that are pretty spectacular as well like Spanish Point, Mulranny, and Cruit Island.  The two Hooked books do a great job breaking them down by 18 hole courses, and 9 holers.  I'm also considering a multi-week stay in the future (I need to retire sooner than later) as you can rent a place pretty reasonably and use that as a jumping off point for golf exploration. 

Swing Golf was absolutely fantastic to work with - I sent them a panicky email when we missed our flight out of JFK and they happily re-scheduled our hotel, rental car, and tee times so that we only lost that second 9 on the first day.  Clubs4hire was a great rental option - Three sets of clubs (Titleist, Callaway, TaylorMade) were waiting for us at the first course and we left them at the last course.  For about $100 each, it was far and away the best option for us as we didn't want to be lugging around clubs for the biking portion of our trip.  Killarney was a nice spot to stay but a bit touristy for my liking, as I prefer a more quiet and traditional setting.  Food was great.  Guinness was delicious. Weather was cool and variable, but never experienced rain for more than 10 minutes despite getting rain every day.

Sorry for all of the information. Part of it was for me to use as a reference later on. Happy to answer any questions. 

Just shot a 72 (par 71). The lowest I recall shooting is 71 on this course. The lowest I've ever shot is 70. Maybe this will finally be the year I break 70.

Couple of you suggested the old putter swing chipping method around the green. That's the original way I was taught 30 years ago, so going back to it was familiar. It's been very good for saving pars. Note: Gary woodland said that's the shot he hit on the green to win the US open. I've been scrambling well since you guys suggested that, thank you. 

I played Monday and shot 76 on the same course. Barely hit any fairways but short game was tight. Made me think, "you can shoot 5 over with your C game, what could you shoot if you put two good nines together?" I guess I don't know, but I really want to find out. 

I'm excited but also nervous. I've never played this well consistently over a two month period, in terms of ball striking. 

What's it like to shoot 68? Anyone? I feel strongly I could shoot that tomorrow. I just have never done it and I'm a bit freaked out by the possibility. Any tips are appreciated.

Just shot a 72 (par 71). The lowest I recall shooting is 71 on this course. The lowest I've ever shot is 70. Maybe this will finally be the year I break 70.

Couple of you suggested the old putter swing chipping method around the green. That's the original way I was taught 30 years ago, so going back to it was familiar. It's been very good for saving pars. Note: Gary woodland said that's the shot he hit on the green to win the US open. I've been scrambling well since you guys suggested that, thank you. 

I played Monday and shot 76 on the same course. Barely hit any fairways but short game was tight. Made me think, "you can shoot 5 over with your C game, what could you shoot if you put two good nines together?" I guess I don't know, but I really want to find out. 

I'm excited but also nervous. I've never played this well consistently over a two month period, in terms of ball striking. 

What's it like to shoot 68? Anyone? I feel strongly I could shoot that tomorrow. I just have never done it and I'm a bit freaked out by the possibility. Any tips are appreciated.
:crickets:

54/44 last Sunday

front 9 was garbage: threw away eight stokes duffing/flubbing chips & pitches, caught a bad lie against the lip in a bunker which didn’t help. Par on #1 hdcp hole

back 9 better: was cruising for a 39 or so, until I pumped (well, pulled) two OB on #17  for a smooth snowman. Birdie on 18 to keep me coming back this weekend. 

Currently 17.6 

I shot 67 once about 10 years ago on a muni course.  Apart from that round, I've never shot in the 60s, so I think it was a once in a lifetime round.  It was all putting, and I chipped in twice.  The game felt really easy.  I'm a much better golfer now than I was back then, but I play harder golf courses and usually play the back tees.  I feel like I have another low round in me, but I just can't put it all together and it seems like my putting always lets me down. It really makes you appreciate a pro's ability to consistently score on longer, much more challenging courses with longer rough and faster greens.  Those guys are so good.

Last edited by a moderator:
tommyboy said:

I once shot a 31 on the back (after a 41 front). 

I was drunk, cocky, and three eagles helped. 

I once shot a 31 on the back (after a 41 front). 

I was drunk, cocky, and three eagles helped. 
Three eagles is awesome. Never done that. I'd imagine that's way up there in the rarity scale even for pros.

Other than a hole in one, the rarest thing I've done is hit the same flagstick with the same club on the same hole two days in a row during a tournament. 

Last week, Chez Reavie hit a hole in one, and the announcer said he now has 21 of them. Crazy

Three eagles is awesome. Never done that. I'd imagine that's way up there in the rarity scale even for pros.

Other than a hole in one, the rarest thing I've done is hit the same flagstick with the same club on the same hole two days in a row during a tournament. 

Last week, Chez Reavie hit a hole in one, and the announcer said he now has 21 of them. Crazy
Even crazier is that I had really only just got into golf and was maybe at best a low-teens handicap. One of the three eagles was my first and so far only hole in one.  Other two were reachable par 5s were i made like 30 footers - one from just off the green. 

Sad thing is that the nine consisted of two bogeys (to offset the three eagles and a birdie). I didn't tally my score until 18, discovered I was one under, then choked with a bogey on 18 because I became nervous for the first time all round.

I've probably played like 300 rounds since then, am now a single digit handicap, but haven't sniffed even par and I think my best score is like 74 (with a few 75s).   

ETA: moral of the story is loose and irrationally confident is the key to success. 

So next weekend is our mini golf trip.  We have 4 tee times but think we're only doing 3.  Weather permitting, of course.  I haven't swung a club in over a month, so I'm a little worried.  

Saturday is Worthington Manor and PB Dye.  Then Sunday is Whiskey Creek and maybe Bennett.  I'll be happy to shoot in the 90's for each round.  

played my final tournament of the year last weekend.   Weather wasn't ideal either day, was especially horrible the 2nd day with standing water and running water on a couple greens late in the round.

its the two man game over two days and we were the defending champs from last year.   
We ended up tied for 1st.  On the last hole i hit a PW in pouring rain to 5 feet.  My ball hydroplaned into the hole when I putted, for birdie which ended up being important.   Won a bunch of money and good way to end the year.   I might play a few more times between now and end of October but basically my golf season is over.  I won't really practice or touch the clubs again til next Feb/March, weather permitting.  I don't like playing in the rain and cold of western Oregon.   I'm starting my workouts for ski season now.   

Never did break 70, and at age 52, i'm wondering if I ever will.   

played my final tournament of the year last weekend.   Weather wasn't ideal either day, was especially horrible the 2nd day with standing water and running water on a couple greens late in the round.

its the two man game over two days and we were the defending champs from last year.   
We ended up tied for 1st.  On the last hole i hit a PW in pouring rain to 5 feet.  My ball hydroplaned into the hole when I putted, for birdie which ended up being important.   Won a bunch of money and good way to end the year.   I might play a few more times between now and end of October but basically my golf season is over.  I won't really practice or touch the clubs again til next Feb/March, weather permitting.  I don't like playing in the rain and cold of western Oregon.   I'm starting my workouts for ski season now.   

Never did break 70, and at age 52, i'm wondering if I ever will.   
I have never broken 80 anywhere, had a 39  on the front a month ago.   Birdied #10 on the back, had 3 pars in a row so I was getting pumped then took a snowman on the #1 handicap hole with 2 balls OB. Ended up with a 42 on back.

Da Guru said:
I have never broken 80 anywhere, had a 39  on the front a month ago.   Birdied #10 on the back, had 3 pars in a row so I was getting pumped then took a snowman on the #1 handicap hole with 2 balls OB. Ended up with a 42 on back.
A guy that used to be a +2 told me some advice from a pga tour psychologist. He said when your out there playing you need to have a verbal on/off switch. So you say something like "airplane" out loud to yourself and you're "in the shot" going through your routine and hitting it. Once you're done you have your off word, say "doorway" and then you chat with your buds, enjoy the view and relax. Any two words work as long as you stick to it through the round and say them out loud to yourself.

I tried this and it worked. I hit mostly good shots without stressing. I think it works by refocusing you on each shot rather than your overall score and grinding out every shot. But it for sure works

A guy that used to be a +2 told me some advice from a pga tour psychologist. He said when your out there playing you need to have a verbal on/off switch. So you say something like "airplane" out loud to yourself and you're "in the shot" going through your routine and hitting it. Once you're done you have your off word, say "doorway" and then you chat with your buds, enjoy the view and relax. Any two words work as long as you stick to it through the round and say them out loud to yourself.

I tried this and it worked. I hit mostly good shots without stressing. I think it works by refocusing you on each shot rather than your overall score and grinding out every shot. But it for sure works
Many times the reason I don`t score as good as I should is bad decision making. I always realize after the fact that it was a bad decision.  Tuesday in my 9 hole league I pulled my drive way over the trees left into other fairway. When I get to my ball I had 2 options.  Hit it somewhat sideways back into my fairway  leaving myself maybe 100-120 to the green.  Then standing around 160 out  I have a window between 2 trees and can see the green but I have to keep the shot low. I am thinking..wow I can still be putting for birdie here. I hood up a 5 iron to hit a hard punch and strike the ball perfect.   Of course I hit the one tree trunk dead nuts and the ball ends up 10 yards behind me and in a worse spot than I was. Now I have to punch out sideways and back because of trees.  End up with a 7 because of attempting a shot that had about a 20% success ratio.

Many times the reason I don`t score as good as I should is bad decision making. I always realize after the fact that it was a bad decision.  Tuesday in my 9 hole league I pulled my drive way over the trees left into other fairway. When I get to my ball I had 2 options.  Hit it somewhat sideways back into my fairway  leaving myself maybe 100-120 to the green.  Then standing around 160 out  I have a window between 2 trees and can see the green but I have to keep the shot low. I am thinking..wow I can still be putting for birdie here. I hood up a 5 iron to hit a hard punch and strike the ball perfect.   Of course I hit the one tree trunk dead nuts and the ball ends up 10 yards behind me and in a worse spot than I was. Now I have to punch out sideways and back because of trees.  End up with a 7 because of attempting a shot that had about a 20% success ratio.
First rule of trouble: Don't hit into more trouble.

Tomorrow is the start of our golf trip.  I've had 2 kidney stones in the past 14 days and my back feels like it was beaten with a baseball bat for days on end.  I'm hoping this doesn't turn out to be miserable.  I've decided I'll now be happy if I can average 100 and not break down in tears from pain.

Weird.  I have to try this. 

Tomorrow is the start of our golf trip.  I've had 2 kidney stones in the past 14 days and my back feels like it was beaten with a baseball bat for days on end.  I'm hoping this doesn't turn out to be miserable.  I've decided I'll now be happy if I can average 100 and not break down in tears from pain.
Was an awesome weekend.  The weather was a little hot and humid, but other than that, great.  Normally these temps wouldn't bother me, but I think when you've had a couple weeks down in the 60's and 70's, 90 all of a sudden feels like the surface of the sun.  

Played Worthington Manor Saturday at 7:30.  Place was in pristine shape.  Greens were the fastest greens I've ever played to the point it was a little frustrating for us.  They rolled perfectly flat and true, but it was like Augusta.  I'd be 20 yards off the green and pitch the ball, have it bounce twice in the approach, roll onto the green, then slowly roll for the next 30 seconds across the green and off onto the fringe.  I shot a 103, but I honestly hit the ball pretty well.  

Then off to PB Dye for a 1:30 tee time.  Rough was brown, but the greens and fairways were very nice.  The greens rolled much slower.  A putt that went 2 feet at PB Dye would have gone about 30 feet at WM.  So it was tough adjusting.  Also, by the 2nd hole, my back was on fire.  But shot a 93.  Oddly enough, I birdied 18 to win us the golf trip.  First time it's ever been decided on Day 1.  Beat them 30-6.  It's never ended sooner than hole 15th of the final day.  Hell, the year we did 5 courses in 3 days, it wasn't over until the 17th hole of the 5th course.  So this was odd.

Day 2, we teed off at 7:30 again at Whiskey Creek.  This course was in incredible shape, too.  Greens slightly slower than WM.  Shot a 96 and honestly should have been better, but I lost 2 drives in the fairway on 9 and 18.  No idea how.  So I ended each nine with a snowman.  

My body is so sore, but great time.  Now we start the process of figuring out next year's SUPER MAJOR.  

Any advice to help correct my slice?

I can hit any iron in my bag straight ...  well straight for a novice.

My driver is a slice 9 out of 10 times.

I've tried adjusting my grip (although, I don't believe the club face is opening since the drive starts straight)

I've tried adjusting my stance. Close stance / right foot back. Didn't seem to help. (right handed)

Seems to me that my natural swing is outside-in and is spinning the ball clockwise. 

I've tried to focus on following thru over my head instead of behind my back but it feels awkward as heck.

Suppose a lessen is in order but just seems like it's a simple adjustment that I'm missing.

I've tried adjusting my grip (although, I don't believe the club face is opening since the drive starts straight)

I've tried adjusting my stance. Close stance / right foot back. Didn't seem to help. (right handed)

Seems to me that my natural swing is outside-in and is spinning the ball clockwise. 

I've tried to focus on following thru over my head instead of behind my back but it feels awkward as heck.

Suppose a lessen is in order but just seems like it's a simple adjustment that I'm missing.
If the driver starts straight (meaning straight relative to your feet/hip alignment) then your path isn’t outside in. Your path is straight but your face is open. 

Many golfers set up closed however (feet aimed right on the target line) so that’s why it’s important to understand if the ball is starting straight relative to your feet. If your stance is closed (pointing right) and the ball starts off ‘straight’ down the fairway then you are swinging out to in. 

Get a video from down the target line taken from behind and post it. 

And here's a good chipping tip - try using more a putting stroke with little or no wrist hinge, and use whatever club will get the ball rolling on the green sooner.  You'll make much more consistent contact, and contact is everything when chipping.
BTW, started doing this and it has been a Godsend around the greens.  I am able to not only chip well, but usually land it where I want.  On Saturday, I hit my tee shot left of the green on a par 3.  Landed on a huge mound.  Pin in the back, green sloped to the front, I knew if I landed it on the green anywhere, it would not stick.  So I played it to bounce off the mound in the back of the green.  By using the putting stroke, I popped it onto the side of the mound, two bounces onto the fringe, then it rolled snug up against the hole for a tap in par.  Best chip I've ever shot that didn't end up in the hole.

I no longer stress over chip shots.  Hell, I've even been able to use it for shots like 30 to 40 yards out where I can't take a full swing with my LW.  

On a side note, it's funny how golfers don't like to take advice if they think it's something the pros won't do.  My buddies will take off their glove to putt (because the pros do), put their sunglasses on the back of their hats (because the pros do), but after seeing me chip so well on Saturday, I told them how I was doing it and they all turned their noses up at it.  Of course, they were duffing chips left and right during the 3 rounds.  Such pride.  :lol:

I gave up on hitting a driver and I switched to a 2-wood.

(Actually it's a TaylorMade "Strong 3 wood", which is just their way of avoiding the antiquated terminology of a "2-wood". But it's 13 degrees and I hit it almost as far as I used to hit my driver.)

Other than that, the one thing that has helped me to hit it straight is to take my stance about 2" back from where I used to stand. It feels awkward at first but it completely eliminated my tendency to go "outside in" with my swing.

I gave up on hitting a driver and I switched to a 2-wood.

(Actually it's a TaylorMade "Strong 3 wood", which is just their way of avoiding the antiquated terminology of a "2-wood". But it's 13 degrees and I hit it almost as far as I used to hit my driver.)

Other than that, the one thing that has helped me to hit it straight is to take my stance about 2" back from where I used to stand. It feels awkward at first but it completely eliminated my tendency to go "outside in" with my swing.
I've hit and easy 3 wood in lieu of my driver in an attempt to stay in the fairway  ... but it's costing me a large chunk of yardage. I'd rather be able to use the correct club.

My main golfing partner is hitting drives I'd guess about 250 yds .... so of course I'm up there swinging for the fences to keep up. Swinging "easy" doesn't feel like an option.

Last time out, 18th hole, par 4, out of frustration I lined up very left of the fairway and let it rip. Came right back into the fairway and I parred the hole.

Suppose I could just line up left every time, but the amount of slice is not consistent and that's the wrong way to play.

... and then there's the one out of 10 times that I hit it straight. It'd be straight into the woods then. I'd rather figure it out and play right..

I've hit and easy 3 wood in lieu of my driver in an attempt to stay in the fairway  ... but it's costing me a large chunk of yardage. I'd rather be able to use the correct club.

My main golfing partner is hitting drives I'd guess about 250 yds .... so of course I'm up there swinging for the fences to keep up. Swinging "easy" doesn't feel like an option.

Last time out, 18th hole, par 4, out of frustration I lined up very left of the fairway and let it rip. Came right back into the fairway and I parred the hole.

Suppose I could just line up left every time, but the amount of slice is not consistent and that's the wrong way to play.

... and then there's the one out of 10 times that I hit it straight. It'd be straight into the woods then. I'd rather figure it out and play right..
 Obviously taking a lesson would be a good idea.

My driver tends to leak to the right. Sometimes it's a controlled fade, sometimes it's a problem. The 3 things I focus on to try to prevent it

1) taking my backswing further inside and focusing on making a turn

2) flattening out my downswing

3) really keeping my head down to avoid pulling off the shot too early.

You're going to have to practice/go to range.   Tee ball up put a club head cover even with the ball - outside of it.  You need to try to hit the ball without hitting the head cover.

Gurantee you are way outside

similar to this

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR7eQUWiGbeJbFSgLMoj6iCJVRQciQrSPtkY3SgTAwqJin89ial

A lot of people tend to slice their drive because their hands are coming through before the club head.  Because the club is longer and your instinct is to swing harder on a driver, your hands are way ahead of your club head.  That's why you can hit irons well, but slice your driver.  When I start slicing my drive, I try to practice the impact part of my swing in slow motion to better see it happening.  If you're overswinging, it's much harder to have your hips and hands in line with your club head.  

You're going to have to practice/go to range.   Tee ball up put a club head cover even with the ball - outside of it.  You need to try to hit the ball without hitting the head cover.

Gurantee you are way outside

similar to this

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR7eQUWiGbeJbFSgLMoj6iCJVRQciQrSPtkY3SgTAwqJin89ial
This looks like a great drill for me. 

Been watching Youtube videos on it and going to the driving range. So far it's been "grip" and "stance" and neither has made a difference.

I can see how this drill would force me to come thru straight. I'll be giving this a try after work this week. Maybe bring a pool noodle or something.

A lot of people tend to slice their drive because their hands are coming through before the club head.  Because the club is longer and your instinct is to swing harder on a driver, your hands are way ahead of your club head.  That's why you can hit irons well, but slice your driver.  When I start slicing my drive, I try to practice the impact part of my swing in slow motion to better see it happening.  If you're overswinging, it's much harder to have your hips and hands in line with your club head.  
Oh, I guarantee my hands are way ahead of the club head.

Any idea how to correct that?  I've tried standing further behind the ball but it's not enough.

I've never consciously attempted to break my wrists sooner. Is that what we're saying needs to happen to get the hands back?

Sounds like the swing is OK (irons), but you're lifting up when you hit the ball off a tee (swinging too hard will do this as well).  If you are hitting your irons straight off the ground, it is because you are hitting DOWN on the ball and not trying to lift it.    

Try lightening your grip pressure with the driver and swinging 90%, which includes a shorter back swing.  Focus on keeping the club head square to and through the ball, making contact with the middle of the face, and keeping your head down until the ball is gone.  You will generate MUCH more power, distance, and accuracy if you stay down and hit it squarely.  

Any idea how to correct that?  I've tried standing further behind the ball but it's not enough.

I've never consciously attempted to break my wrists sooner. Is that what we're saying needs to happen to get the hands back?
Like I said, the way I do it is by doing my swing in slow motion and watching where my hands are at impact.  By visualizing the mistake, I can then keep slow motion swinging to get the impact correct.  

I'm no golf pro, so I can't give great advice that will help fix it overnight.  But by seeing my mistake, it makes it much easier to come up with a fix.  I had a friend who was a golf pro and he told me about the slo-mo thing.  I felt like I was swinging fine, but always sliced it.  By slowing it down and focusing on the impact, I was able to actually work on the issue, instead of just guessing.  Now, I'm fairly consistent off the tee, minus a slight unwanted fade or draw here and there.  But rarely slice or hook it.  But as soon as I do, I know exactly why.  

Like I said, the way I do it is by doing my swing in slow motion and watching where my hands are at impact.  By visualizing the mistake, I can then keep slow motion swinging to get the impact correct.  

I'm no golf pro, so I can't give great advice that will help fix it overnight.  But by seeing my mistake, it makes it much easier to come up with a fix.  I had a friend who was a golf pro and he told me about the slo-mo thing.  I felt like I was swinging fine, but always sliced it.  By slowing it down and focusing on the impact, I was able to actually work on the issue, instead of just guessing.  Now, I'm fairly consistent off the tee, minus a slight unwanted fade or draw here and there.  But rarely slice or hook it.  But as soon as I do, I know exactly why.  
I can't help but think of this scene when I read this;

I never slice

Sounds like the swing is OK (irons), but you're lifting up when you hit the ball off a tee (swinging too hard will do this as well).  If you are hitting your irons straight off the ground, it is because you are hitting DOWN on the ball and not trying to lift it.    

Try lightening your grip pressure with the driver and swinging 90%, which includes a shorter back swing.  Focus on keeping the club head square to and through the ball, making contact with the middle of the face, and keeping your head down until the ball is gone.  You will generate MUCH more power, distance, and accuracy if you stay down and hit it squarely.  
THIS. Yeah, I'm definitely swinging hard.

My buddy recorded my drive with his phone ... grainy as heck, not sure what kind of disposable burner phone he was using ...

but I noticed that I kind of "stood up" at or near the point of impact ... which I certainly don't think I do when I'm not on the tee. (I'm not afraid to hit the ground with my iron and tend to hit down on the ball)

Not understanding how this could cause a slice but it's definitely a flaw in my drive. 

I will certainly try the focused 90% swing as I can often hit it straight if I swing easy.

sounds like you're coming Out to In with the driver (looping). typically, that will leave your clubface open at impact, and thus your slice.

i fight the same thing with my game: my Big Miss with the driver is a blocky-fade. took a lesson and the pro gave these tips:

- play the ball off the inside of your LH heel

- have good balance

- flatten the swing plane (i.e. think about your right hand pointing skyward as you begin your downswing)

- don't let the RH elbow fly, should feel close to your torso

- shorten and slow the whole swing down

- try and hit the ball to Right Field (promoting In to Out swing)

might take a few sessions at the range to get it dialed in.

THIS. Yeah, I'm definitely swinging hard.

My buddy recorded my drive with his phone ... grainy as heck, not sure what kind of disposable burner phone he was using ...

but I noticed that I kind of "stood up" at or near the point of impact ... which I certainly don't think I do when I'm not on the tee. (I'm not afraid to hit the ground with my iron and tend to hit down on the ball)

Not understanding how this could cause a slice but it's definitely a flaw in my drive. 

I will certainly try the focused 90% swing as I can often hit it straight if I swing easy.
Swinging too hard usually comes with heavy grip pressure (i.e. strangling the club) as well.  Gripping it too tight will cause you to "hang on" through the shot and not release the club head through the ball, which results in a fade/slice.  Light grip pressure (think holding an egg at first) will make your swing more rotational and fluid through impact. 

Swinging too hard usually comes with heavy grip pressure (i.e. strangling the club) as well.  Gripping it too tight will cause you to "hang on" through the shot and not release the club head through the ball, which results in a fade/slice.  Light grip pressure (think holding an egg at first) will make your swing more rotational and fluid through impact. 
I'm so afraid the club is going to come flying out of my hands on the follow thru. Guess it just takes some getting use to.

Suppose not so much if I were only swinging 90%.

I'm so afraid the club is going to come flying out of my hands on the follow thru. Guess it just takes some getting use to.

Suppose not so much if I were only swinging 90%.
New grips could help too.  Some of the newer tacky grips are really good.  I play these and really like them.

Anyone have any suggestions/recommendations for a fun place to go for a weekend of golf?  Ideally, it would be within a 3-4 hour drive from Philly.  And would have 3 to 5 nice courses all within the immediate area.  Trying to figure out some candidates for our next golf trip.

TIA

TIS

Anyone have any suggestions/recommendations for a fun place to go for a weekend of golf?  Ideally, it would be within a 3-4 hour drive from Philly.  And would have 3 to 5 nice courses all within the immediate area.  Trying to figure out some candidates for our next golf trip.

TIA

TIS
Ocean City Maryland.  Done a bunch of trips here, although its been a few years

PM me or I can post here.

Ocean City Maryland.  Done a bunch of trips here, although its been a few years

PM me or I can post here.
This has been our list for a while.  Two years ago, we were looking into this for our End of Year trip (mid September), but as we went to book it, we realized that OCMD had events like every weekend and no rooms were available anywhere.  It was crazy.  Not sure if that's an every year thing, but it really threw us for a loop.  We ended up scrambling to find something last minute and went up to the Gettysburg area.  Ended up playing some pretty nice courses there.  But we are thinking maybe trying to go down end of April.  

I was looking for my notes from when we were looking at courses, but I seem to have lost them in the change of jobs.  I remember we had like 6 courses that we thought looked great.  We were having a tough time trying to narrow it down.  

Any advice you can give for OCMD would be greatly appreciated.  We've been told if we go there, use Pam's to book.  Other than that, not much knowledge.

Users who are viewing this thread