Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
belljr

***Official 2020 Golf Thread, with new rules & handicaps***

Recommended Posts

13 hours ago, Apple Jack said:

Fitting is pretty much a scam for most players, designed to separate you from your money by preying on people's desire for an easy fix. Spend the money on lessons instead. Once you get to the point of a fitting really making sense (read: consistently repeating swing that you are not actively working to change), you can do it yourself with a board (clipboard will do) and impact tape. You can get your swing speed by testing a driver at just about any golf retailer.

ETA: Impact tape is good to have, anyway.

I don’t know about a scam. #’s don’t lie and shafts can make a huge difference. Now - will most players be better off with a bunch of lessons and the same clubs? Yes. Not a magic fix. Getting both fitted and lessons are optimum. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Judge Smails said:

What? Everything is foursomes here in Ventura County. Spread out walking or one person per cart. 

Solano County is doing that, not not marin or Napa.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, Judge Smails said:

I don’t know about a scam. #’s don’t lie and shafts can make a huge difference. Now - will most players be better off with a bunch of lessons and the same clubs? Yes. Not a magic fix. Getting both fitted and lessons are optimum. 

Shafts can be determined by taking one swing with a driver at a golf store. I think that is useful, but getting a shaft appropriate for most players is easy.

Sorry, man, I'm jaded. Too long in that field, with the last few years in hard goods. Now ball-fitting is a different story, and low-compression golf balls are the best things to hit the market for higher handicaps since perimeter-weighted irons. That is a hill I will die on.

Edited by Apple Jack

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Any opinions on the Taylor Made m6 irons?

 

Also for a high handicap golfers what's your opinion on graphite shafts?  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I think certain aspects of fitting can be helpful for pretty much any golfer. If you're not good enough to REALLY need to be fitted, you can be pretty sure that some form of game improvement irons will be your best bet. And at the end of day, unless you're REALLY tall or REALLY short, the standard lengths will probably be ok.

The biggest thing that came out of my initial fitting (like 3 and a half years ago when I had yet to break 100) was lie angle. I was a pretty heavy toe down hitter and I could definitely notice a difference in strike when I got clubs that had been tweaked to account for that.

Once you get to the top end of the bag, I would agree that fittings are really only helpful if you're at least a decent player with a repeatable swing and yardage gaps that you hit on a pretty consistent basis.

I got my driver in the spring of 2017 when I still wasn't any good. I had a pretty bad day on the sim (just wasn't happening for me. I was all over the place) but we were at least able to find a shaft (tried out a bunch of them) that worked pretty well for my swing speed and the way I load. I could definitely tell the difference between shafts and we eventually found one that provided a good combination of distance and control.

Got fitted for a 3 wood and some hybrids back in the fall (our local Callaway learning center has an insane sale the day after thanksgiving)   Standard shafts in all of them, but we went through a lot of tweaking (in terms of loft and lie angle and a few different head models) to dial in my distances and take out as much of my misses (normally to the right) as possible. Early returns are good (I was playing really well prior to the shut down back in March) but need some time on the range to really get used to everything.

So I would say, as a general rule, pretty much anyone who can shoot around 100 could benefit from an iron fitting. I think you probably need to be at least like a 15 handicap (or maybe little worse if you're only higher than that because of short game stuff) before top of the bag fitting is going to help all that much.

I've never had a formal wedge, putter or ball fitting

Edited by TLEF316
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Anyone else's course handicap drop three strokes under the new system? 

  • Laughing 1
  • Thinking 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Thorn said:

Anyone else's course handicap drop three strokes under the new system? 

My index dropped .3 and my course hcp dropped 1

The index is now best 8

However it's possible because course rating is now part of the course hcp formula

Edited by belljr

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

My index only dropped a by a tenth of a point.

 

Edited by TLEF316

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Thorn said:

Anyone else's course handicap drop three strokes under the new system? 

Index stayed about the same but my handicaps for individual courses and tee boxes is like a stroke lower on average. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, belljr said:

My index dropped .3 and my course hcp dropped 1

The index is now best 8

However it's possible because course rating is now part of the course hcp formula

I have two posted scores, one good for me so maybe that is part of it, but my index went down 0.3 and CH moved three strokes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not yet ready to go to the statehouse to protest but getting increasingly pissed off that MA hasn't opened courses, and has no plans to do so. One of only three states in that category. I think our Governor has done a great job with the virus overall but this reeks of being afraid to take nonsensical grief from groups that will complain that it's discriminatory to cater to golfers (the "elite") and not let folks play pick-up basketball in public parks. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Nigel said:

Not yet ready to go to the statehouse to protest but getting increasingly pissed off that MA hasn't opened courses, and has no plans to do so. One of only three states in that category. I think our Governor has done a great job with the virus overall but this reeks of being afraid to take nonsensical grief from groups that will complain that it's discriminatory to cater to golfers (the "elite") and not let folks play pick-up basketball in public parks. 

 

I assumed the exact same thing in NJ.  Sadly, people dont know the difference.

I played at 2 courses this weekend. One private and one a normally very crowded county course (which is very nice).  Played with my brother both days and my dad joined us on Sunday (since we're immediate family, we were allowed to be a group of 3). Didn't have to get with 50 feet of anyone else, paid online and all other rules were followed. Should have been open weeks ago.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Played first rd of yr today (Pa)

Everyone was great with keeping distance, have to pay online at my course , check with starter , grab cart (1 person per) and go. 
 

Wind blew HARD. Noodles in holes I think helped my putting oddly enough lol

Some good, some bad. Was GREAT to get out

Only thing that sucked was a 4some of retired aged guys in front of us , 3 of them walking with pull carts , and absolutely refused to let my 2some through 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

After playing like #### last week and starting bad today I had an aha moment on the 3rd hole and found my swing today. I was having grip/take away issues and it all clicked at once with what I was doing wrong. I was taking away with my wrists first and trying to stay closed on my backswing instead of rotating and coming back together, man was I happy to find my swing again. I blame the layoff and too many YouTube videos. Got to cut back on rick shiels until the range is open again. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Summerofgeorge said:

Only thing that sucked was a 4some of retired aged guys in front of us , 3 of them walking with pull carts , and absolutely refused to let my 2some through 

really one of the most rude and frustrating things in golf.

I mean you can't let everyone through ...but if it's clear your group is holding things up - you need to let guys through

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/4/2020 at 4:56 PM, Nigel said:

Not yet ready to go to the statehouse to protest but getting increasingly pissed off that MA hasn't opened courses, and has no plans to do so. One of only three states in that category. I think our Governor has done a great job with the virus overall but this reeks of being afraid to take nonsensical grief from groups that will complain that it's discriminatory to cater to golfers (the "elite") and not let folks play pick-up basketball in public parks. 

Governor just announced MA courses can open, effective immediately. Jumped on tee times at a couple of local courses: late afternoon 9 today with my son, 18 tomorrow morning with my BIL.

Giddy as a schoolgirl. :excited:

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/4/2020 at 2:07 PM, TLEF316 said:

 

I assumed the exact same thing in NJ.  Sadly, people dont know the difference.

I played at 2 courses this weekend. One private and one a normally very crowded county course (which is very nice).  Played with my brother both days and my dad joined us on Sunday (since we're immediate family, we were allowed to be a group of 3). Didn't have to get with 50 feet of anyone else, paid online and all other rules were followed. Should have been open weeks ago.

We've had this discussion now ad nauseam but a lot of people - even smart people - just don't get it. I played several rounds the first few weeks of the stay at home orders and took a ton of #### from colleagues and friends for it. Didn't come within like 50 yards of another human being each time (whereas hiking or going for a job usually brings one within a few feet of another). It was peaceful, mind-clearing, and good exercise because walking was mandatory. Played quickly too so my immediate family was happy that I was home in under 3 hours for 18 or even as fast as 90 minutes if I did a quick nine in the evening. 

I guess it's just an activity viewed by most as a game for elites to drink and gamble and make business deals negatively impacting the proletariat. Which I do suppose it is sometimes... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Speaking of the new handicap system, I'm playing a course tomorrow from the regular/men's/blue tees where my course handicap is a 5. Crazy. I guess it's slope rating is relatively easy and there are some short par 4s, but it's definitely not what I'd call an "easy course..." 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, Zow said:

Speaking of the new handicap system, I'm playing a course tomorrow from the regular/men's/blue tees where my course handicap is a 5. Crazy. I guess it's slope rating is relatively easy and there are some short par 4s, but it's definitely not what I'd call an "easy course..." 

the blue tees are the regular men's tees?  usually it's red/womens; green/seniors; white/regular; blue/championship; black/rarely used :)

would you take a picture of your score card and post it?  (if the slopes aren't on the card show just let us know what they are)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

At our place, the blues are generally considered the "men's tees" and a vast majority of the club plays from them (even some older guys/shorter hitters that should probably move up to the whites.

Some guys play blue on the front and white on the back because our back is longer and typically 3-5 shots more challenging. Every competitive tournament other than the top flight of the club championship (which obviously determines the actual club champion) plays from the blues.

Blues are listed as 6378 yards, 70.9/133

Whites are 5811, 68/125

 

We have black, Blue, white, gold and red.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, Binky The Doormat said:

the blue tees are the regular men's tees?  usually it's red/womens; green/seniors; white/regular; blue/championship; black/rarely used :)

would you take a picture of your score card and post it?  (if the slopes aren't on the card show just let us know what they are)

 

I'll check tomorrow. The intention is to play blue (which is regular at most of the course I play and black is championship). 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, TLEF316 said:

At our place, the blues are generally considered the "men's tees" and a vast majority of the club plays from them (even some older guys/shorter hitters that should probably move up to the whites.

Some guys play blue on the front and white on the back because our back is longer and typically 3-5 shots more challenging. Every competitive tournament other than the top flight of the club championship (which obviously determines the actual club champion) plays from the blues.

Blues are listed as 6378 yards, 70.9/133

Whites are 5811, 68/125

 

We have black, Blue, white, gold and red.

 

A lot of courses I've played at will play combos. IMO the big difference between the whites and blues are the par 3s as the average player is way worse with a long iron and some carry required. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, TLEF316 said:

Blues are listed as 6378 yards, 70.9/133

yikes - that is rugged slope for a 6400 yd layout.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Zow said:

A lot of courses I've played at will play combos. IMO the big difference between the whites and blues are the par 3s as the average player is way worse with a long iron and some carry required. 

At my place, only 1 of the par 3's is really all that long.  Stretches out to like 210 yards (but down hill) from the blues but often has a cross wind. Very tough. The other 3 aren't all that different white vs blue.

For me, the big difference comes on the forced carries (we have 4 of them) and 2 LONG par 4's that we have. Unless I SMOKE my drive, both of those holes are a hybrid (and a damn good one) to have a chance of getting there. And you can't run it up to either one them. (one is elevated and the other has a false front) Gotta carry it all the way there. BRUTAL

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, Binky The Doormat said:

the blue tees are the regular men's tees?  usually it's red/womens; green/seniors; white/regular; blue/championship; black/rarely used :)

would you take a picture of your score card and post it?  (if the slopes aren't on the card show just let us know what they are)

 

This drives me nuts anymore.   My course goes

Red green yellow white blue

I've played Whit gold black.

Red white blue black 

I played courses where gold were the tips.

I'd wish everyone would stay standard

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I refuse to play below 6200-6300ish 

Unless the 6100 is like a par 70

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Binky The Doormat said:

yikes - that is rugged slope for a 6400 yd layout.  

 

Yeah, its not an easy course. Most people who visit actually think it might be UNDER rated at that number.

We only have water on one hole and its a straight forward layout.  But most of the greens are elevated and fairly tricky, the rough/fescue gets LONG at certain times and some of the harder holes are REALLY wind exposed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, TLEF316 said:

At my place, only 1 of the par 3's is really all that long.  Stretches out to like 210 yards (but down hill) from the blues but often has a cross wind. Very tough. The other 3 aren't all that different white vs blue.

For me, the big difference comes on the forced carries (we have 4 of them) and 2 LONG par 4's that we have. Unless I SMOKE my drive, both of those holes are a hybrid (and a damn good one) to have a chance of getting there. And you can't run it up to either one them. (one is elevated and the other has a false front) Gotta carry it all the way there. BRUTAL

 

Yeah those sound like tough 4s. Could see a big impact if the blue/championship is like 40 yards back. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

For the first time in about 3 years I felt my old swing. There was no fighting it   My driver was a bit erratic and I hit a couple early season shots. I didn't hit every ball pure but man for the first time in a long time, I could just line up and swing.

Edited by belljr
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Got out today for the first time in I can’t remember (SiP has got my memory all jacked up).  Played at Bodega Harbor - links-style course out on the Sonoma County coast - and had the course almost to myself. 
 

Took a few holes to get warm. Actually whiffed, and I mean WHIFFED, my first swing on #1. I haven’t done that (sober) in probably 30 years. Hit some good ones, more poor ones, but had a blast anyway. Was at least one club short on all irons: not sure if it was my inability to account for elevation or wind - probably both - so that’s something to work on. I did hit ‘em straight, so that’s a positive. 
 

It was SO GREAT just to get outside after SiP’ing for the last 8+ weeks. I have no golf muscles and everything is gonna hurt tomorrow, but do. not. care. Nice to be in nature again and feel somewhat human. Also, Modelo is the best Shower Beer. Fight me. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, Quint said:

Got out today for the first time in I can’t remember (SiP has got my memory all jacked up).  Played at Bodega Harbor - links-style course out on the Sonoma County coast - and had the course almost to myself. 
 

Took a few holes to get warm. Actually whiffed, and I mean WHIFFED, my first swing on #1. I haven’t done that (sober) in probably 30 years. Hit some good ones, more poor ones, but had a blast anyway. Was at least one club short on all irons: not sure if it was my inability to account for elevation or wind - probably both - so that’s something to work on. I did hit ‘em straight, so that’s a positive. 
 

It was SO GREAT just to get outside after SiP’ing for the last 8+ weeks. I have no golf muscles and everything is gonna hurt tomorrow, but do. not. care. Nice to be in nature again and feel somewhat human. Also, Modelo is the best Shower Beer. Fight me. 

Nice, tried to play foxtail yesterday and got address checked. I could have played with my military Id but the other 2 have Marin addresses :rant:

I haven’t played bodega in a long time, were they checking id’s?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, CGRdrJoe said:

Nice, tried to play foxtail yesterday and got address checked. I could have played with my military Id but the other 2 have Marin addresses :rant:

I haven’t played bodega in a long time, were they checking id’s?

Yep. I wasn’t sure how crowded it would be and wanted to ride instead of walk that track, so I didn’t book online. First question out of the Pro Shop guy’s mouth was, “Are you a Sonoma Co resident?” And then checked my ID. 
 

I forget what a fun course that is. Bunch of elevation change in the first 6 holes, and then the wind gets atcha on the last 6. 
 

Notes: no rakes in bunkers;  no access to ball washers, drinking fountains, or restrooms on-course (except the one behind #13 tee); no GPS in carts; no scorecards or pencils; no snack bar (I think the restaurant is open for to-go orders); noodles in holes. 
 

Also, price online for a pre-Noon tee time was $92, but only got charged $63 (with cart) at 11:30 am walking up. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Playing my first round in 15 years on Thursday

Grew up playing a lot, usually around a 15 handicap, got down to a 9 right before college. After college, I played very infrequently and hacked when I did because I was so out of practice, which left me frustrated. I quit playing altogether except for semi-annual rounds with my grandmother, who was the one who usually took me golfing as a kid. When she died, I put the clubs in the attic where they sat until yesterday.

I set up my iPhone and recorded myself doing practice swings in the backyard, which is the first time I have ever seen my own golf swing. Nice tempo, but what felt like a full backswing was really only about three-quarters. At 50, I'm a lot stiffer than I used to be. My hip turn is kind of crap too, but it always was, even when I could shoot in the low 80s. I lean too much rather than truly rotate. Oh well.

I'm looking forward to it. Supposed to be one of the first nice days of spring and I'm hoping that since I no longer harbor illusions of being anything other than a hack, I won't get so frustrated. Any tips for managing my way around the course after 15 years away?

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, The_Man said:

Any tips for managing my way around the course after 15 years away?

hit and go.  

don't get too drunk.

don't stand in my line.

  • Like 4
  • Laughing 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, The_Man said:

Playing my first round in 15 years on Thursday

Grew up playing a lot, usually around a 15 handicap, got down to a 9 right before college. After college, I played very infrequently and hacked when I did because I was so out of practice, which left me frustrated. I quit playing altogether except for semi-annual rounds with my grandmother, who was the one who usually took me golfing as a kid. When she died, I put the clubs in the attic where they sat until yesterday.

I set up my iPhone and recorded myself doing practice swings in the backyard, which is the first time I have ever seen my own golf swing. Nice tempo, but what felt like a full backswing was really only about three-quarters. At 50, I'm a lot stiffer than I used to be. My hip turn is kind of crap too, but it always was, even when I could shoot in the low 80s. I lean too much rather than truly rotate. Oh well.

I'm looking forward to it. Supposed to be one of the first nice days of spring and I'm hoping that since I no longer harbor illusions of being anything other than a hack, I won't get so frustrated. Any tips for managing my way around the course after 15 years away?

Whisky. 

  • Like 1
  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, The_Man said:

 Any tips for managing my way around the course after 15 years away?

- swing slow
- stretch beforehand
- whiskey

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

First night of league last night. People wore masks in the clubhouse to pay, but other than that, it was business as usual for the most part. A couple awkward moments at the tee when greetings/introductions were made and no one could shake hands. No one seemed to bother with the 1 person per cart "rule". Didn't think the pool noodle thing changed anything at all. Played pretty good for 7 of the holes. Took a 9 and 8 on the other two. :bag:  Most normal feeling thing Ive done in a month. :thumbup:

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not sure why courses are still doing the pool noodle thing when all they have to do is flip the cup upside down and stick the flag back in. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, joker said:

Not sure why courses are still doing the pool noodle thing when all they have to do is flip the cup upside down and stick the flag back in. 

The only thing to watch out for that I've seen with the upside down cup is that sometimes the ball will hit one of the bolts and pop back out. Depending on how far away you are, it can be difficult to tell if that's what happened or if the putt simply lipped out.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/4/2020 at 4:13 PM, Thorn said:

I have two posted scores, one good for me so maybe that is part of it, but my index went down 0.3 and CH moved three strokes.

Also just found out our course got re-rated, I assume that's a big part of it.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

All I know is I'm about to have a 79 and 75 fall off...a 7.9 and 3.6 differential...

If I don't better my next 2 best scores they get replace with a 10.1 and 10.2.... I predict a 2 shot jump in hcp and won't be surprised if I hit double digits for the first time in a long time

Usually I used to put up a few clunkers at the beginning and hcp would rise then drop again...

Not so sure this time. I'm not playing good enough

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, belljr said:

All I know is I'm about to have a 79 and 75 fall off...a 7.9 and 3.6 differential...

If I don't better my next 2 best scores they get replace with a 10.1 and 10.2.... I predict a 2 shot jump in hcp and won't be surprised if I hit double digits for the first time in a long time

Usually I used to put up a few clunkers at the beginning and hcp would rise then drop again...

Not so sure this time. I'm not playing good enough

Sounds like the perfect time to start playing for money. That 82 goes a long way as a double digit!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Zow said:

Sounds like the perfect time to start playing for money. That 82 goes a long way as a double digit!

I never not play for money....

Should say rarely

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, belljr said:

I never not play for money....

Should say rarely

Should said never. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Zow said:

Should said never. 

Lol... sometimes if it's just me and my pop or my really good buddy we will just go out and play....

My normal Sunday group we have standard bets

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, belljr said:

Lol... sometimes if it's just me and my pop or my really good buddy we will just go out and play....

My normal Sunday group we have standard bets

I'm at least playing a 2-2-2 game against a good buddy :lmao: 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Zow said:

I'm at least playing a 2-2-2 game against a good buddy :lmao: 

Sometimes we do sometimes we don't.... sometimes we just hang out, get done in 3 hours as he shoots 68 while talking during his own swing .....  :rant:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.