What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official 2024 Golf Thread, pick up the pace, HCP be a changing *** (1 Viewer)

I managed to spend an extra shot or two on each hole last night at my normal Wednesday nine. Whether it was a bad drive, bad chip, or bad putt, I kept turning potential birdies into pars and pars into bogeys. Frustrating, to say the least, but that's golf for you  :deadhorse:

I guess its possible, but it just seems very unlikely. I very rarely stop at the bar and when I do, they dont always ask for my number (since some of them know me)  I've MAYBE stopped at the turn 5 times all year.

Its more likely than the club trying to pull a fast one, but why would someone who can afford to belong there risk getting booted just to get 9 free Stella Artois on a Friday afternoon?

The whole thing is just so odd. One time? Sure. 2 or 3 MAYBE. But this is probably the 6th time this has happened.   My brother belongs as well and his number is one off from mine, but these aren't his bills either.  We're not above messing with each other, but he'd tell me if this was a gag at this point. And he didn't play on the day in question (let alone drink NINE beers at noon)
WTF. 

The most normal thing about your post is the nine beers by noon while on the golf course.

Do you think they're charging you because they're frustrated that you just play and don't patronize the food and beverage (probably where they have the biggest profit margin)?

Do you think they're charging you because they're frustrated that you just play and don't patronize the food and beverage (probably where they have the biggest profit margin)?
I can't imagine that's the case.   There's been no beer cart all season (I don't really drink anyway) and the outside grill/bar is usually closed by the time I finish 9 holes (I usually tee off between 5 and 5:30) anyway.   I used to grab a burger to go every once in a while, but they were so slow to make them I just kinda stopped.

I almost always walk/carry my bag, so by the time I finish my round on a weekend morning/early afternoon, I'm sweaty and tired and really dont feel like sitting around. (especially now, in the time of Corona)

I honestly have no idea why this continues to happen.  I'm not losing sleep over it. Its just weird (and annoying)

Last edited by a moderator:
I can't imagine that's the case.   There's been no beer cart all season (I don't really drink anyway) and the outside grill/bar is usually closed by the time I finish 9 holes (I usually tee off between 5 and 5:30) anyway.   I used to grab a burger to go every once in a while, but they were so slow to make them I just kinda stopped.

I almost always walk/carry my bag, so by the time I finish my round on a weekend morning/early afternoon, I'm sweaty and tired and really dont feel like sitting around. (especially now, in the time of Corona)

I honestly have no idea why this continues to happen.  I'm not losing sleep over it. Its just weird (and annoying)
Yeah I'm at a loss, too. At least they're cool about taking the charges off. 

Eric Dickerson played in our group today. Super cool dude. Sweet lefty swing. Strong. Fun round. Complimented me on my birdie on 18 😀
That's one of the fun parts about belonging to a country club. I've randomly played with several athletes/celebrities now. 

Glad he was cool. 

Anyone use a good gps app? A friend of mine used SwingU yesterday and it seems pretty decent and easy to use.
I use SwingU and like it, really accurate with the gps and I get the whole layout of the hole so I can see traps/water. 

started so great today, 3 over through 5 and then mentally fell apart. I scrambled a bogey at 6 and then missed the green at the par 3 7th by a foot. I land on and I 2 putt a par instead I’m in deep rough and proceed to blade it into the trap across. I then land 2 feet from the pin out of the sand and watch it roll off and back into the rough. Instead of putting from there I once again blade my 60 and shoot 20 feet past the pin. 2 putts later I triple an easy par 3. :rant:  took a beer at the turn to recover for a bit. 

got out Wednesday this last week. had my golf shoes on, clubs on the cart, sunscreen applied, and paid the greens fees. 

i'm not sure, however, what i did was actually play golf. lost three balls in the first three holes off the tee: dead pull, push-block, hookypull. sweet. 

hit a 5w 200 yards to the middle of the green on the hardest Par 3 on the course and made an easy three. topped the drive on the next hole. between chunking approach shots, blading wedges, and three putting #10 through #13, i didn't feel one lick of remorse walking off the course after hitting one into the water on #14. 

just. so. ugly. 

So isn't really golf related, but its happening at my golf course, so I was hoping to get some opinions.

I've been a member at my club for 3 years now. Our club has a restaurant that is open to the public, so there's no restaurant mins for the members. (part of the appeal to me, as I just want to pay for golf).  There's also a really nice outdoor tent/bar area where all the members congregate after their rounds, hang and have a drink, etc.  But I generally play in the evening, so by the time I'm done, everyone is gone. So me racking up any sort of bar bill is very rare.  Occasionally I'll grab a drink or snack at the turn, but not that often.

At least 5 or 6 times now, I've checked my monthly statement to find a fairly sizable bar bill that is not mine.   A few of them have been $150+.  I've never gotten any push back when I've called/emailed to dispute, but its starting to become a PITA.  No other members know my member # and I'm not even sure that many even know my last name.  So the odds that another member is charging to my tab seems very minimal. 

So the only other possible solution is that the club is just randomly dropping bar tabs onto my account to boost profits. Maybe I'm being paranoid, but I just find it hard to believe that someone is just making a mistake over and over and over again. At what point do you say something beyond just calling and correcting them?
I left a club after this happened to me about half of the months for a year, after a change of ownership.  That and they cut deals with everyone so it felt like no two members were paying the same price.  Buh-bye.

I left a club after this happened to me about half of the months for a year, after a change of ownership.  That and they cut deals with everyone so it felt like no two members were paying the same price.  Buh-bye.

Not really an option for me at this point. I like the course a lot and its super close to my house.  Nothing near me is in the same ballpark in terms of quality/cost. 

I age out of the Junior Executive membership this fall (which will tack a couple of racks onto the bill for next year) but I'm still not likely to leave. Anywhere else would be more expensive and/or much further away and I enjoy playing with my brother.

I mean, if I could get into and afford Somerset Hills....sure (its 2 minutes from my house and #42 on Golf.com's top 100). But I can't.

I would certainly like not to be charged for beer I dont drink though.....

Last edited by a moderator:
Food and beverage guy is passive-aggressively giving me #### over these charges. Acting like he's doing me a favor "if I'm sure" I didn't order anything.  

Claims that none of the staff know member names or numbers, so the only reasonable explanation here is that another member (either on accident or on purpose) is dropping my number when they're ordering stuff.

First world problems here for sure, but man, nothing is ever easy.

Food and beverage guy is passive-aggressively giving me #### over these charges. Acting like he's doing me a favor "if I'm sure" I didn't order anything.  

Claims that none of the staff know member names or numbers, so the only reasonable explanation here is that another member (either on accident or on purpose) is dropping my number when they're ordering stuff.

Sounds like a fine fella.  Have you been charged on days you haven't even played?

Sounds like a fine fella.  Have you been charged on days you haven't even played?

A couple of times, yes. On this particular one, I played in the afternoon. The charge was in the morning.

But with the way their system works, it may have been an order someone placed the day before (which just didn't get into the computer system until the following day).  They dont have a point of sale system at the turn. They just write everything down and then transfer it to the computer later.  So there's some lag. Seems like a big part of why this is an issue.

Safe to assume you're also kind of youngish for your club?

A couple of times, yes. On this particular one, I played in the afternoon. The charge was in the morning.

But with the way their system works, it may have been an order someone placed the day before (which just didn't get into the computer system until the following day).  They dont have a point of sale system at the turn. They just write everything down and then transfer it to the computer later.  So there's some lag. Seems like a big part of why this is an issue.
It seriously sounds like somebody with a member number like one off from yours may be saying the wrong number without realizing. I say this because my member number and my office's security code are super similar and I have accidentally given the office code for my member number when I was new there and it got another guy charged. 

It seriously sounds like somebody with a member number like one off from yours may be saying the wrong number without realizing. I say this because my member number and my office's security code are super similar and I have accidentally given the office code for my member number when I was new there and it got another guy charged. 
Yeah, this is what I'm thinking at this point as well.   Not sure how we rectify that without knowing who the person is. Obviously I could just change my #, which ends the problem for ME. But then the club is still gonna get caught holding the bag in the future (since their system isn't sophisticated)

Safe to assume you're also kind of youngish for your club?
I mean, mid 30's is on the younger end for most nicer clubs. (my club isn't super high end or anything, but its the best deal in the area for anyone under 37 or people that can't afford to join the big time NJ clubs)   But there's a large enough group of guys around my age that I'm definitely not an outlier.

• Smile
Reactions: Zow
golf is strange this year.  Started out slow, not hitting for power back in March.    the last month im playing the best golf of my life, longest i've ever hit it (about to turn 53), most accurate i've ever been and flirting with breaking 70 several times.  last round on monday i was minus 1 on the 14th tee box, though about shooting 69 then went bogey, bogey, bogey, bogey, bogey to shoot 4 over.   the only change i made to my swing was my left wrist on the backswing and downswing.  I used to cup it, now i try to pronate it and turn the back of my left hand down toward the ball at impact and i'm just effortlessly crushing the ball.   

I'd change my number.

That's on them if they can't figure out who's screwing up
I know you don’t want to make a big deal about it but if it’s happening to you, it’s likely happening to everyone. I’d take it to the GM & let him know F&B was less than helpful. You’re a member, they should have checks & balances in place to make sure this doesn’t happen. There are plenty of other clubs, public & private where you can spend your money. I work at a private & this would be taken care of STAT.

So isn't really golf related, but its happening at my golf course, so I was hoping to get some opinions.

I've been a member at my club for 3 years now. Our club has a restaurant that is open to the public, so there's no restaurant mins for the members. (part of the appeal to me, as I just want to pay for golf).  There's also a really nice outdoor tent/bar area where all the members congregate after their rounds, hang and have a drink, etc.  But I generally play in the evening, so by the time I'm done, everyone is gone. So me racking up any sort of bar bill is very rare.  Occasionally I'll grab a drink or snack at the turn, but not that often.

At least 5 or 6 times now, I've checked my monthly statement to find a fairly sizable bar bill that is not mine.   A few of them have been $150+.  I've never gotten any push back when I've called/emailed to dispute, but its starting to become a PITA.  No other members know my member # and I'm not even sure that many even know my last name.  So the odds that another member is charging to my tab seems very minimal. 

So the only other possible solution is that the club is just randomly dropping bar tabs onto my account to boost profits. Maybe I'm being paranoid, but I just find it hard to believe that someone is just making a mistake over and over and over again. At what point do you say something beyond just calling and correcting them?
Could just be an honest mistake.  I'm dysgraphic so I transpose numbers a lot.   It wouldn't be unusual for me to reverse the last two numbers of my member number.  If the person entering the tab doesn't double check the name against the number, I could see it happening.   

I'd ask for a new member number.

Could just be an honest mistake.  I'm dysgraphic so I transpose numbers a lot.   It wouldn't be unusual for me to reverse the last two numbers of my member number.  If the person entering the tab doesn't double check the name against the number, I could see it happening.   

I'd ask for a new member number.
Assuming this one gets squared away, new member number will be my solution next time.

Grahamburn said:
Let us know what kind of tips you get. 
Well. He said there are 3 things you can’t do if you want to be a good ball striker. Can’t be too close to the ball. Can’t have closed body alignment. Can’t have ball too far back in stance. I was all 3. The trifecta. Biggest issue is I was so far closed it wasn’t funny. Been fighting this for awhile so he gave me a new way to walk into the ball and set up. Seems way open but he wants me to exaggerate it for awhile. Baby steps 

Well. He said there are 3 things you can’t do if you want to be a good ball striker. Can’t be too close to the ball. Can’t have closed body alignment. Can’t have ball too far back in stance. I was all 3. The trifecta. Biggest issue is I was so far closed it wasn’t funny. Been fighting this for awhile so he gave me a new way to walk into the ball and set up. Seems way open but he wants me to exaggerate it for awhile. Baby steps 
Interesting.  I'm a closed player too.  Always fight a big draw/hook.  I'll mess around with being more open.  I play the ball too far forward and will struggle with leaving the face open if I'm not careful.  I assume you want to play the ball more middle/forward to promote the proper weight shift to your front side?

Interesting.  I'm a closed player too.  Always fight a big draw/hook.  I'll mess around with being more open.  I play the ball too far forward and will struggle with leaving the face open if I'm not careful.  I assume you want to play the ball more middle/forward to promote the proper weight shift to your front side?
I think he’s exaggerating everything to get me to free up and be able to go at it hard toward the target. Yeah - I was leaving everything open yesterday as he also adjusted my face angle which was slightly closed at address. 
Oh - he said 95% of golfers line up for a toe hit. They put the ball in the middle of the entire club vs the middle of the grooves. The non groove area at the end Of a club is just for weight balance. So he had me line up what looked closer to the heel but it was actually the middle. 

Can someone recommend a free app or website that will track the handicap of me and my golf group? I've found several sites that will let me track my own handicap, but none have an option to track additional golfers.

Been playing pretty good except the last month or so I have developed a dead pull on my tee ball.  I have never done this before so it is puzzling and ruining my scores.  The course my league plays on is heavily wooded so a pull is OB or always ends up under or behind a tree.  Then I have to punch out and hope for a bogey at best.

Tuesday I hit 4 good drives and pulled 3 hard left.  Doubled all three holes.

Users who are viewing this thread