What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR DeVante Parker, Eagles. (3 Viewers)

Biabreakable

Footballguy
Jeremiah: Louisville WR DeVante Parker worthy of top-15 pick

"He's worthy of a top-15 pick," NFL Media analyst Daniel Jeremiah said Tuesday on "NFL AM".

Parker, who was listed at 6-foot-3 and 211 pounds by Louisville, had 43 receptions for 855 yards (19.8 yards per catch) during the 2014 season despite missing the first six games with a foot injury. Parker had 55 receptions and 12 TD catches in 2013, when he was Minnesota Vikings 2014 first-round pick Teddy Bridgewater's go-to guy.

Parker has a huge catch radius because of an 80-inch wingspan, and Jeremiah says Parker's speed is underrated.

"When you watch him, he's kind of a long-strider, so you don't necessarily think he's that fast," Jeremiah said. "But I've been told he's going to run in the high 4.3s/low 4.4s (in the 40-yard dash at the NFLScouting Combine)".

Jeremiah has Parker as the draft's No. 9 overall prospect, and teams that could be interested in a wide receiver in the first round and in a position to grab Parker include the Cleveland Browns, Houston Texans and Kansas City Chiefs.
Parker is also ranked 15th overall in Rob Rang's big board right now.

DeVante Parker Belongs in Race with Amari Cooper, Kevin White as Draft's Top WR

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, this guy is the real deal and all you have to do is watch him to see it. I am surprised he isn't getting talked about more.

Shutout said:
Yeah, this guy is the real deal and all you have to do is watch him to see it. I am surprised he isn't getting talked about more.
I agree. I was astonished there wasn't already a thread devoted to him before this one.

DeVante Parker Is the Best Receiver in the 2015 NFL Draft

When it comes to wide receivers in the 2015 NFL Draft, Amari Cooper and Kevin White dominate the conversation, and maybe deservedly so. Each has a special skill set, and the potential to become a No. 1 receiver at the next level. However, while both Cooper and White are great talents at the wide receiver position, neither can truly hold the title of best receiver in the 2015 class. That honor instead belong to DeVante Parker, an explosive, physical receiver out of Louisville.

Parker is seen by many as the third best receiver in the 2015 class, behind Cooper and White; however, I’d argue that he’s an even better player than both of them. He has comparable size to White at 6’3″, and like Cooper, Parker has outstanding ball skills. That said, Parker has some special skills that separate him from the other elite receiver prospects in this draft, and it’s those skills that make him the best receiver in the 2015 draft.

One of these skills is Parker’s ability to burn a defense deep with a combination of excellent speed and route-running ability. Despite missing a good portion of the season with an injury, Parker returned and put up huge numbers down the stretch with an inexperienced quarterback throwing him the ball. He displays a knack for making difficult catches, and he is one of the rare receivers with the ability to take over a game. Parker’s deep speed is much more impressive than either Cooper or White, and that speed, combined with his size and ball skills, ultimately makes him a better prospect than either of those two.

All in all, though he doesn’t receive the same hype that Cooper and White have gotten so far, DeVante Parker is a better prospect than either right now. He’s got the talent to become a great No. 1 receiver, and the high-character and intangibles to put in the effort needed to be great. We could be looking at an elite receiver in Parker, and there should be no doubt that he is the best receiver in the 2015 draft.

He's neck-and-neck with Cooper, in my book.

White is not with them.
Always some terrific information and thanks for the link as I had not read you post on Feb 9th yet.

From my perspective Parker and Cooper have been the top 2 WR for the 2015 draft class for a pretty long time. It was only recently White has been a favorite. I am not sure where this phenomenon originates from. After Daniel Jerimiah said White was his top WR other majors like CBS seemed to move White up into the conversation with Cooper and Parker.

I have the 1.04 and will actually be disappointed if Parker isn't there. He might be my #1 by the time it's all over.

DeVante Parker – Louisville

Strong Points:DeVante is a refined, smooth RR with a A.J. Green-like body type. Has extraordinarily long arms that makes his catch radius almost limitless. Does an excellent job of locating the football over his shoulder, tracking it, and making difficult catches in tight coverage. Not afraid to go over the middle in traffic either. Lethal vs press-man coverage not only due to an elusive first-step but extremely explosive cuts in and out of his breaks.
Weak Points:Parker can have lapses in concentration on wide-open balls that result in the occasional drop. Doesn’t put as much effort into blocking as you’d like to see. He doesn’t aggressively snatch the ball out of the air with his hands, sometimes appearing more comfortable using his body.
Summary:DeVante lines up all over the field; wide left, right, and in the slot. Parker has missed 11 games in his 4-year career, seven of which in 2014 due to a broken foot. He is a three year starter finishing his career with 156 receptions, 2775 yards, 17.8 YPC, 33 TD. Parker finished his Sr season with 43 receptions, 855 yards, 19.9 YPC, 5 TD. Parker recorded 23 receptions of 15+ yards in 2014. To give some context, Amari Cooper had 39 such catches with 81 more receptions. This stat suggests where I think Parker will excel most in the NFL: the intermediate portions of the field.

DeVante is a big, dynamic WR with sneaky speed and elite athleticism. Has the short-area burst, precise footwork, and elusiveness to get off press consistently and the long, smooth strides to get behind most defenders. His best trait is his catch radius due to freakishly long arms. Has a tall, lean frame reminiscent of A.J. Green. The intermediate game is where Parker will excel the most with his refined RR and knack for getting separation from defenders. Even when defenders are step for step with him, Parker uses his tentacle-like arms to keep them far away enough from his body that he is virtually always open. He tracks the ball extremely well but doesn’t always time his jumps just right. He is able to contort his body in mid-air with elite athletic ability while staying under control to make acrobatic catches. Parker isn’t a very physical, tackle breaking WR despite his size. He tends to let the ball come to him rather than attack it. He dominates people with fluid lateral movements which combined with his size and overall athleticism can make him a pro bowl caliber deep threat and legit No. 1 WR. Parker will battle with Amari Cooper to be the first player at his position taken in 2015.

Value – Top 10

Projection – Top 15

Pro Comp – A.J. Green
This is a nice scouting report because the author (Brandon Thorn) goes into detail about athletic ability, competitiveness, alertness, hands and so on, giving a grade for each of these details.

The author also has Parker as the 8th overall prospect of the 2015 NFL draft. Ahead of both Cooper and White.

I had Parker slated as a 1st round talent in last years draft. He surprised me by staying in school. Could easily see him go in the top 15.

Rotoworld:

CBS Sports' Dane Brugler reports that Louisville senior WR Devante Parker said that he has met with the Oakland Raiders, Minnesota Vikings and the Miami Dolphins at the combine.
The 6-foot-3, 208-pound Parker,offers ideal size and speed for the position, and a ridiculous 80-inch wing span. The Louisville prospect isn't afraid to go up and compete for the football at it's highest point, and has a natural feel for the game. If Parker runs an impressive forty time it could help increase his stock. Right now, Parker is seen as top-15 pick in this years' draft.

Source: Dane Brugler onTwitter
Feb 19 - 2:17 PM

Rotoworld:

Louisville senior WR Devante Parker would be excited to reunite with former Cardinals teammate Teddy Bridgewater in Minnesota.

"It would be good, we have a great connection," Parker said on Thursday. This is about as natural a fit between player and team as we have in Round 1. The Vikings are desperate to give Bridgewater additional perimeter help, and, at No. 11 overall, are picking in the precise range where Parker will be drafted. Parker has met with the Vikings, Raiders and Dolphins. "I'm blessed with the ability to outrun defenders and catch the ball," he said.

Source: CBS Sports
Feb 20 - 7:22 PM

Rotoworld:

An NFL scout told the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel that Louisville WR DeVante Parker is a "large, smooth, play-making receiver who has average speed."
"Very good hands," he added. "Has run after the catch." Parker, who missed a handful of games early last season with a broken foot, clocked forty times of 4.45 and 4.50 at the NFL Scouting Combine. "He's got size, speed and was dominating at the end of the season," said another scout. "He looks a little faster than (Kevin) White." Indeed, Parker caught 43 balls for 855 yards and five touchdowns in only six games last season.

Source: Milwaukee Journal Sentinel
Feb 23 - 9:51 PM

By no means am I saying "I'm saying it so it is so" but I pay a lot of attention to dynasty WRs and have picked some over the years that have been pretty good and I am as high on Parker as I have been on a lot of WRs. I think he might easily be a long term top 7-10 dynasty Wr.

Rotoworld:

NFL Media analyst Daniel Jeremiah believes pairing Louisville WR DeVante Parker "with Jarvis Landry and Ryan Tannehill would be pretty tempting" at No.14 for the Dolphins.
WR Mike Wallace's future in Miami is still a question mark, and the Dolphins could look to the draft for a new No.1 wideout. That leaves second-year player Jarvis Landry and veteran Brian Hartline who could potentially lead the group of pass catchers. At 6-foot-3, 211-pounds, Parker's size and skill-set may be too much to pass on. Parker recently met with the Dolphins while at the combine.

Source: NFL.com
Feb 25 - 3:13 PM

I'd hate to see Parker end up on the Dolphins.
I wouldn't mind seeing what Tannehill can do with a deep threat who doesn't try to catch the ball one handed every time.

I think Miami would be a pretty good spot for him. Not my favorite, but I'd be content.

I wouldn't mind seeing what Tannehill can do with a deep threat who doesn't try to catch the ball one handed every time.

I think Miami would be a pretty good spot for him. Not my favorite, but I'd be content.
Not trying to catch it one handed implies that the ball will land within 10 yards of him, which when we're talking about Tannehill and a deep ball, it usually doesn't.

Not trying to catch it one handed implies that the ball will land within 10 yards of him, which when we're talking about Tannehill and a deep ball, it usually doesn't.
Exactly. I'd appreciate a QB who will chuck it up to him and trust him to come down with it. He'll need a jet-pack or rocket boosters to get in position for Tannehill's deep balls.

I wouldn't mind seeing what Tannehill can do with a deep threat who doesn't try to catch the ball one handed every time.I think Miami would be a pretty good spot for him. Not my favorite, but I'd be content.
Exactly. I'd appreciate a QB who will chuck it up to him and trust him to come down with it. He'll need a jet-pack or rocket boosters to get in position for Tannehill's deep balls.
Ha. Man you guys are rough on Tannehill. I guess it's warranted until proven otherwise but Wallace was doing him no favors toward helping him improve. I think Parker can be more than just a deep threat as well. I think a big target like Parker would be great for Tannehill. But I understand the skepticism

I need to watch more of him... Im just not as excited as many of you are about him - and I feel like Im missing something

I mean, I think he's pretty good... But havent seen enough to blow me away and say "he's great"

dammit

I wouldn't mind seeing what Tannehill can do with a deep threat who doesn't try to catch the ball one handed every time.I think Miami would be a pretty good spot for him. Not my favorite, but I'd be content.
Ha. Man you guys are rough on Tannehill. I guess it's warranted until proven otherwise but Wallace was doing him no favors toward helping him improve. I think Parker can be more than just a deep threat as well. I think a big target like Parker would be great for Tannehill. But I understand the skepticism
DeVante Parker is a more complete WR than Mike Wallace. Although deep routes are also a strength of Parker he is not as dependent on this type of play the way Wallace is.

Because of Parker's willingness to go over the middle and win using the whole route tree Ryan Tannehill's weakness of throwing the deep ball will not matter nearly as much.

As far as Ryan Tannehill as a QB I think he made significant improvements in the new offense coordinated by Bill Lazor.

2012 24age 484pa 282cmp 58.3% 3294 yards 12TD (2.5%) 13int (2.7%) Y/A 6.8 Y/C 11.7 35sk (6.7%)
2013 25age 588pa 355cmp 60.4% 3913 yards 24TD (4.1%) 17int (2.9%) Y/A 6.7 Y/C 11.0 58sk (9.0%)
2014 26age 590pa 392cmp 66.4% 4045 yards 27TD (4.6%) 12int (2.0%) Y/A 6.9 T/C 10.3 46sk (7.2%)

Tannehill has improved his completion percentage, TD percentage, reduced his interceptions and took fewer sacks. To me he is a young QB making progress each season with some stability in the supporting cast around him to help him continue getting better.

I think Parker can be go to WR in the NFL and any QB would benefit from having him.

There is now speculation of mike Wallace being traded or cut so this looks like a stronger play as the days roll on.

Rotoworld:

ESPN's Mel Kiper wrote that Louisville WR DeVante Parker is "A.J. Green Lite -- but not that light."
"Given his big catch radius and ability to beat defenders at the catch point (see: arms longer than 33 inches), running 4.45 at 6-foot-2 and 209 pounds puts him in a top class of athlete as well," Kiper wrote. "A difference-maker and potential No. 1 receiver." Parker recently met with the Dolphins at the combine and has been popularly mocked to Miami at No. 14. Another marriage that makes a lot of sense is the Vikings at No. 11.

Source: ESPN Insider
Feb 28 - 6:30 PM

watch your first 2 gifs, then watch my first two.

If you're down on White, I have no issue with that... But attempting to paint him as a piss poor route runner, someone who can't beat a jam at the line/poor release, or juke a defender out of his undies is unfounded.

Do you always have to be so condescending and, pretty plainly, such a ####?

Do you always have to be so condescending and, pretty plainly, such a ####?
I didn't see it that way. There was a sarcastic tone to souIlfly's post as well. I saw it more as banter between the two. But I agree with xue, outside of the second clip in soulfly's response, I didn't see the similarity to Parker. Even though his combine results don't actually show it, Parker seems to have more suddenness and quick twitch ability.

WHo said the players are similar? Sure as heck wasnt me.

Im pointing out that White can do what Parker does, just as well and/or better...

Im pointing out that White can do what Parker does, just as well and/or better...
I meant the similarity to what was going on in the clips. Not implying that you think Parker and White are similar. My fault if it read that way.

I meant the similarity to what was going on in the clips. Not implying that you think Parker and White are similar. My fault if it read that way.
I could only use gifs I found online... I didnt create them. Found what I thought best "imitated" what he posted.

Think it shows, as best possible, that both can beat their guy at the line, both can undress defenders.... Parker may be a tad quicker off the line, but white has more end speed.

I could only use gifs I found online... I didnt create them. Found what I thought best "imitated" what he posted.

Think it shows, as best possible, that both can beat their guy at the line, both can undress defenders.... Parker may be a tad quicker off the line, but white has more end speed.
I agree with top end speed. I thought Xue's clips demonstrated Parker's short area burst which I think is superior to White from the limited amount I have seen. White seems to be more physical, Parker seems to be more finesse IMO

watch your first 2 gifs, then watch my first two.

If you're down on White, I have no issue with that... But attempting to paint him as a piss poor route runner, someone who can't beat a jam at the line/poor release, or juke a defender out of his undies is unfounded.
Your first one: White is just spinning. Show me one where he spins without the ball.

Second one: Nice jab step outside, and he cuts back inside. This move isn't close to what Parker can do. Watch the Parker clips in slow motion. There is a distinct difference in what Parker does. And he does it more consistently than White can do.

Third one: This has nothing to do with what I posted. But if you watch closely White actually gets away with Offensive Pass Interference. And if can find the whole route, he's very flat footed in his release.

Fourth one: Again, has nothing to do with the Parker clips. Parker can make catches like this as well. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=midbalUl03Y

White simply doesn't show the same type of athleticism in his routes as he does after the catch. Parker does. And that's one of the main reasons I have Parker above White. It's one reason why White's 4.35 speed doesn't show up on tape. For those who aren't aware, White's blistering 40 can be attributed to his insanely good 10-yard split. Unfortunately, he's nowhere near that explosive off the line in a real game.

Your first one: White is just spinning. Show me one where he spins without the ball.
What? WHy?

Anyways man, Im not here to change your mind... You think Parker is better and that's cool with me.

I just think you're way to down on White.

But we can revisit this year after year to see who was right. If you're right, Ill have no issue telling you that...

I like Parker, whose tape Ive only started watching a few weeks back... Only caught him play a few games this season. Think he'll be a good NFL receiver. Maybe very good.

I just think White will be very good to great

I need to watch more of him... Im just not as excited as many of you are about him - and I feel like Im missing something

I mean, I think he's pretty good... But havent seen enough to blow me away and say "he's great"

dammit
That's where I'm at. Looks more like Keenan Allen than AJ Green to me.

I'm leaning towards Parker simply because White has only 1 year of production and Parker produced with Bridgewater and then came back to improve his draft stock and put up almost equal numbers with a nobody at QB...in 6 games. Of course if one goes to say the Jets and one goes to a team with an NFL QB, then I pick the latter.

Users who are viewing this thread