What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR DeVante Parker, Eagles. (2 Viewers)

The fact that he hasn't ascended the depth chart much at all is concerning. He's had a good month now.
Is it really that surprising? He's a rookie who missed all of OTAs/the preseason, on a team in which the coaching staff proved to be completely inept.

I think at the very least he pushes Jennings who has caught 7 of his 18 targets for 54 yards so far this year. I don't know, it just seems like getting their first round pick more involved as the season progresses seems like a no-brainer. I still like his season long upside.

Usually players of his pedigree rise higher than 4th or 5th in the pecking order by now. He did miss a lot of OTA and camp time but there are 7 players on this 1-3 team with more targets. That's not good.

Sabertooth said:
Usually players of his pedigree rise higher than 4th or 5th in the pecking order by now. He did miss a lot of OTA and camp time but there are 7 players on this 1-3 team with more targets. That's not good.
In the words of Aaron Rodgers....R E L A X. Parker is a rookie. Most take some time to develop. That is especially true for those that miss training camp. Pretty confident that he will become a larger focal point now that they are past the bye. Also sounds like his foot is in much better shape.

Sabertooth said:
Usually players of his pedigree get a ton of reps in OTA and pre-season. Parker missed all of that. Don't underestimate how important that is to rookie WR development. I wouldn't be surprised if 2015 is a lost year statistically.

Sabertooth said:
Usually players of his pedigree get a ton of reps in OTA and pre-season. Parker missed all of that. Don't underestimate how important that is to rookie WR development. I wouldn't be surprised if 2015 is a lost year statistically.
Typically if you take a WR in the first it's because you want or expect them to have an impact year one. This guy went 14th overall, 3rd WR taken and he can't see the field over Still or Jennings? Either the coaching staff is incompetent or he is having real problems in practice. I don't think it's injury related, he was productive enough week 3.

All I'm saying is the WRs taken in the first that "Need time to learn the playbook" or "Give them time to adjust to NFL DBs" are the AJ Jenkins and Jon Baldwins. Even the ones that are drafted into bad situations (Wright, Blackmon) flash some potential in their first year. Kelvin Benjamin's playbook last year was "be big and fast and catch it high when Cam overthrows you". Parker is a bust so far this year, if he doesn't do something in the next 3 weeks or so, I'm definitely selling hoping I can get something on his pedigree alone. If you're looking for a young good dynasty WR I'd way rather Perriman or White. While they might also have lost rookie years, they don't have competition ahead of them. Jarvis Landry looks way better this year than most Parker owners want to admit.

It is week four and people are already suggesting that Parker is a bust because he hasn't broken out yet?

The Dolphins have been in chaos. They never really solved the root of their problems with the HC and firing him mid-season isn't a good way to handle such an important part of a teams leadership and direction, but perhaps this is what they thought needed to happen if the coach had lost the team.

I kind of didn't think the Dolphins needed another WR after all of the moves they made at the position during the offseason and could have used an offensive lineman or some help on defense more. So Parker joins an already pretty crowded group of WR in Landry, Jennings, Matthews and Stills and needs to rehab an injury causing him to miss most of training camp while the other veteran WR establish some roles in the offense.

Week 1 Parker played one snap on offense.

Week 2 17 offensive snaps 1 target 1 reception 3 yards.

Week 3 41 offensive snaps 7 targets 3 receptions 46 yards.

Week 4 23 offensive snaps 0 targets

Head coach gets fired and the team goes into the bye to regroup.

So because Parker did not continue to make progress from week 3 to week 4 in terms of playing time and targets on a team in chaos now is the time to pack it in for him in 2015?

Seems premature.

This may indeed be a lost season for the Dolphins but in that case they will likely continue throwing the ball a lot and eventually Parker will work his way into the rotation. In 2016 I expect Parker to emerge as the primary WR although Landry will always have a big role in the offense as well. I think this will happen because of Parkers talent winning out over the other WR on the team even if the entire coaching staff and team philosophy goes through an overhaul.

It is week four and people are already suggesting that Parker is a bust because he hasn't broken out yet?

The Dolphins have been in chaos. They never really solved the root of their problems with the HC and firing him mid-season isn't a good way to handle such an important part of a teams leadership and direction, but perhaps this is what they thought needed to happen if the coach had lost the team.

I kind of didn't think the Dolphins needed another WR after all of the moves they made at the position during the offseason and could have used an offensive lineman or some help on defense more. So Parker joins an already pretty crowded group of WR in Landry, Jennings, Matthews and Stills and needs to rehab an injury causing him to miss most of training camp while the other veteran WR establish some roles in the offense.

Week 1 Parker played one snap on offense.

Week 2 17 offensive snaps 1 target 1 reception 3 yards.

Week 3 41 offensive snaps 7 targets 3 receptions 46 yards.

Week 4 23 offensive snaps 0 targets

Head coach gets fired and the team goes into the bye to regroup.

So because Parker did not continue to make progress from week 3 to week 4 in terms of playing time and targets on a team in chaos now is the time to pack it in for him in 2015?

Seems premature.

This may indeed be a lost season for the Dolphins but in that case they will likely continue throwing the ball a lot and eventually Parker will work his way into the rotation. In 2016 I expect Parker to emerge as the primary WR although Landry will always have a big role in the offense as well. I think this will happen because of Parkers talent winning out over the other WR on the team even if the entire coaching staff and team philosophy goes through an overhaul.
Not a bust (yet and hopefully never). But let's abandon the bust/no-bust discussion. It's too rigid. A discussion along the lines of whether he is "on-track", "on-schedule", etc. considering his particular situation might be worthwhile.

I'd argue he's more than slightly behind with plenty of time and opportunity to catch-up. To your point, there's a chance that all the WRs are going to be thrown into the bingo-bin and spun around due to the coaching change. But even still, it's highly unlikely Parker somehow triples his snaps as a result.

There's a view that there is no need to rush him right now due to the FA signings and that will likely carry over to the new HC. Overcoming that view requires an injury or amazing production/snap. Once November rolls around, then the "no-rush" view will likely recede and the bust/no-bust discussion can be more substantive.

Sabertooth said:
Wait, aren't you one of the folks still supporting CMike even though he's has 3 years to accend 2 different depth charts at a significantly easier position to learn? Yet you want to start writing off Parker after 4 weeks when he's had a legitimate injury and hardly participated?

Parker has had a more productive start to his career than Terrell Owens, Brandon Marshall, Steve Smith, Roddy White, Wes Welker and Odell Beckham.

With the bye week to get more work in the offense & another 2 weeks to get healthier - I think we could see Parker have a semi-break out game this week. 4 catches for 80 yards is my prediction. I don't like Parker for redraft necessarily but this is the time to trade for him in dynasty.

First time I heard this line of reasoning I blew it off but its growing on me.

Baltimore made 9 roster moves today after falling to 1-4. Coaching staffs do tend to make changes when the heat gets turned up and Miami's staff know they are under the gun to produce or else.

http://www.rotoworld.com/articles/nfl/56998/64/waiver-wired-week-6?pg=3

Waiver Wired: Week 6Tuesday, October 13, 2015

7. DeVante Parker, Dolphins – Owned in 12 percent of Yahoo leagues
DeVante Parker only played 23 snaps Week 4 against the Jets, and his only extensive action of the season came in garbage time of the Dolphins’ Week 3 blowout loss to the Bills. He was a first-round pick, however, and Miami heads into Week 6 with a remade coaching staff sure to shake things up. One of the easiest shakeups would be to bench the ineffective Greg Jennings for Parker on the outside. No one really knows what the new coaching staff will do, but Parker is worth a speculative add in deeper leagues until the situation shakes out.
Recommendation: Should be owned in 14-team leagues.

Wait, aren't you one of the folks still supporting CMike even though he's has 3 years to accend 2 different depth charts at a significantly easier position to learn? Yet you want to start writing off Parker after 4 weeks when he's had a legitimate injury and hardly participated?
Not really, no. I own him but my expectations aren't high. Maybe he gets a shot, maybe not. I have him in the same boat as a guy like Antonio Andrews.

Rookie WR DeVante Parker might start to pick-it-up.

Getting nice low-key buzz this week.

-------

James Walker@JamesWalkerNFL 3h3 hours ago

#Dolphins OC Bill Lazor says rookie WR DeVante Parker is further along than he's been all season.

James Walker@JamesWalkerNFL 23h23 hours ago

New #Dolphins interim head coach Dan Campbell said rookie receiver DeVante Parker is getting better and more comfortable in practice.

James Walker@JamesWalkerNFL Oct 14

#Dolphins WR DeVante Parker said he's ready for more playing time. He's trying to earn it on the practice field.

It makes sense to bring the passing game into the news..

Everyone knows Miami needs to get more involved in the running game..

It would be nice to see some Parker hi-lights!

Campbell seems to include Parker in quotes, often. There's something there.

I'd expect to see him a bunch in the second half of the season. Matthews and Landry are playing well though, he's not passing them at this rate.

He's only seen 50%+ snaps once and that was in the week 3 blow-out loss to BUF where they fed him some garbage time targets (7). I want to see similar utilization but it be game plan and not game flow determined coming out of the bye.

Hoping he doesn't do much this week as I dropped him 2 weeks ago due to injuries and someone scooped him up the other day, go figure. Another dud and I'm betting he'll be dropped.

Picked him up before the bye to see what changes happen after the bye. He was dropped and figured He was worth the 2-3 week stash.

So.... Did he even get a snap? Everyone else caught a pass. Lots of hope and a complete no show in a blowout?!?! Think this just isn't gonna happen.

Week 6 Parker had 6 offensive snaps 9% of the 67 offensive plays the Dolphins ran.

Landry 63 offensive snaps 94%

Matthews 60 offensive snaps 90%

Cameron 56 offensive snaps 84%

Sims 38 offensive snaps 57%

Stills 28 offensive snaps 42%

Jennings 9 offensive snaps 13%

Miami used TE Dion Sims a lot more in this game than they had been using him previously.

Parker does not seem to be part of the offensive plan at this time.

Can't blame the new coaching staff for sticking with veteran guys over a rookie especially since they won.

Dolphins don't have a great but a 'good-nuff' WR corps starting right now. WRs Jarvis Landry and Rishard Mathews are both playing well. Greg Jennings has been a disappointment but it looked like Kenny Stills was getting healthy but he left the last game with a back injury.

I thought they might start to pull away from Rishard but if he continues to produce I think they stick with him so right now his best shot is to try and steal some reps from Stills.

I think his talent will come through at some point before the end of the year because after the draft during mini camps, when Parker was healthy and when the coaching staff were getting their first looks, the reports were very-positive so for dynasty he's a solid hold.

------------------------

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000495369/article/eight-things-you-need-to-know-from-tuesdays-otas

Published: June 2, 2015​

Here's what else we learned in Tuesday's OTAs:​

...There's reason for optimism for that offense in Miami. Here's Dolphins linebacker Jelani Jenkins on wide receiver DeVante Parker, the team's first-round pick: "He's an animal," Jenkins said, via the Miami Herald. "He goes and gets the ball wherever it is. He's aggressive. He knows how to use his body. I'm really impressed with him."

---------------------

... Armando Salguero@ArmandoSalguero http://www.scout.com/ArmandoSalgueroDeVante Parker is a mismatch nightmare out here.​

Almost seems like he needs an injury in front of him. Other guys are playing well. Cuttable in redrafts. Hold or buy in dynasty for the right price.

Nowhere to be seen.
You could say that about the entire Miami offense in this game so far.

But yes, it seems Parker will still be waiting in the wings for 2015. Rishard Matthews has been an unexpcted dvelopment, and maybe Parker still isn't up to speed with the playbook? Just guessing here.

Most of the local press down here in South Florida has not been good. Campbell has been especially rough on the rookie. Campbell acknowledges the talent is there but far too inconsistent, one play amazing, several plays of just so so.

Landry and Mathews are firmly entrenched in the starting spots although Mathews had a drop already tonight, DC won't like that. The 3rd spot or wide to the left is typically Jennings or Stills, 2-3 targets a game out of that position tops per game. It's the one you would throw long to and since Tannehill cannot do that they never call either number much.

So where is Parker going in 2015? I don't see it right now.

Rotoworld:

Although DeVante Parker's foot injury is to the same left foot he had surgically repaired in June, he says the issue is "nothing serious."

We're still concerned, as Parker also dealt with left foot issues as a senior at Louisville. Either way, Parker is calling it a "tissue issue." For now, it appears he'll play again this season.

Source: Armando Salguero on Twitter

Rotoworld:

DeVante Parker - WR - Dolphins

Dolphins rookie WR DeVante Parker said the current foot injury which knocked him out of last week's game stems from scar tissue.

"I was feeling a little pain [Monday], but not severe pain," he said. "It might hurt a couple days. Nothing serious." Parker did not practice Monday, but coach Dan Campbell said he expected the rookie to play this week. Parker is not a fantasy factor even when active.

Source: Miami Herald

Nov 3 - 9:21 AM

Rishard Matthews was injured today, and DeVante is being targeted. He looks pretty good out there, though the Dolphins offense isn't doing well overall.

Miami WR DeVante Parker got a lot of targets (10) and produced solid numbers (4 receptions for 80 yards and 1 TD).

The upcoming schedule looks pretty decent over the next couple of weeks, Baltimore, San Diego, NY Giants, Indianapolis, before the last game against New England which most aren't concerned about.

The big news is starting WR Rishard Mathews suffered multiple fractured ribs and they aren't sure when he'll return.

---------------------

.Rand GetlinVerified account @Rand_Getlin 20h20 hours ago

I'm told #Dolphins WR Rishard Matthews suffered multiple fractured ribs yesterday against the #Jets. No clear timetable for his return.

--------------------

The kid has amazing skills and is just getting his opportunity. Excellent dynasty opportunity but he 'could' also be a sleeper WR for fantasy playoffs. Definitely the time to buy for dynasty if he's out on your wire.

I've been waiting all year for this chance. I might have to roll the dice on him down the stretch...crossing my fingers.

Users who are viewing this thread