What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR DeVante Parker, Eagles. (2 Viewers)

Really looking forward to seeing what he does down this final stretch. Hopefully it's strong and he build momentum for next year.

are they going to be in garbage time mode the rest of the year???
They have been most of this year already.

The firing of OC Lazor and comments after the move were talking about more balance between run and pass plays that have been imbalanced. So if they mean what they say the team should throw less and run the ball more.

If they take away some of Tannehills ability to audible to pass plays, maybe this will lead to fewer pass attempts?

The coach seemed to deny responsibility for the imbalance of run to pass plays, saying that Tannehill was changing the plays to pass, Then Lazor got fired shortly after that.

So maybe not quite as many pass attempts as they have been running per game so far?

At any rate its good to see Parker get so many targets and to put up some decent numbers off of that. He is a really good player, one of the best skill players of the 2015 draft class imho and with decent opportunity I would expect him to deliver good numbers with that.

The Matthews injury is the real story. I know they have Jennings and Stills, but there's a good chance Parker steps into a significant role on the outside.

Parker piled up all those yards and was 4/7 on his targets all in the second half. Arguably garbage time but if/when he gets the start for Matthews it will be good to see what he can do with a full plate of snaps.

SaintsInDome2006 said:
Parker piled up all those yards and was 4/7 on his targets all in the second half. Arguably garbage time but if/when he gets the start for Matthews it will be good to see what he can do with a full plate of snaps.
The question is will he move into Matthews spot? Tannehill is top 5 or 6 in pass attempts so it's just a matter of Parker being on the field.

In the most recent game Parker was on the field for 59 of their 72 offensive snaps which was 82% the only WR to have more snaps than Parker was Landry who had 64 which was 89% Stills had 52 (72%) and Jennings had 19 (26%).

In the previous game Matthews had 100% of the Dolphins snaps, even more than Landry and Parker only had 4 snaps which was 8%

Parker had 10 targets 4 receptions 80 yards and a TD. This is a poor completions percentage but great yards/reception. Kenny Stills by comparison also had 10 targets but only 2 receptions 12 yards.

What's the story behind the poor completions %? Was he open and missed, drops, covered and contested?

I picked him up. Could be the shot I the arm that team's need for the playoffs. Tannehill clearly likes targeting him when he's on the field.

What's the story behind the poor completions %? Was he open and missed, drops, covered and contested?
Just watched the targets on rewind. I haven't seen the whole game yet but the Jets look like they are playing a lot of defensive backs in this game so still not sure why the Dolphins threw the ball so much with so few LB on the field. Anyhow my notes about the targets:

[SIZE=12pt]1st target 1st and 25 3 WR Landry and Parker run a scissors route Parker running the post from the outside. Even though he gets held a bit Parker still gets to the right depth and makes his break inside where Tannehill throws it to him. The ball is really wobbling before it gets there, looks catchable although it led him a bit too far. The defenders also get away with a grab as the ball arrives and Parker fails to make the catch.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]2nd target Parker runs an out and up route then comes back to the ball. He is doubled covered and although he gets his hands on the ball Skrine who is in front of him knocks the ball away. Better pass this time although poor decision.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]3rd target is just thrown away. 3 man pass rush got to Tannehill, don’t think anyone was open.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]4th target bootleg roll out to the right. Landry and Parker both run out routes at different levels to the right and Tannehill finds Parker open for a 20 yard catch. I love how Parker always uses his hands and extends for the ball.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]5th target Parker runs a dig route from the left side over the middle. Walls who is trailing him close is able to get his hand in there and break up the pass. I cannot see exactly what happens on this play because stupid graphic pops up blocking the view just at that moment.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]6th target Parker runs a slant route from the left side and Tannehill delivers the ball on time which Parker catches in stride before the LB can get in front of it. He gains another six yards after the catch converting the 1st down. About 13 yards on this one.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]7th target Parker runs a go route on the right side. The Jets blitz so Tannehill throws the ball to Parker but it is too far and out of bounds. He is going against Cromartie who stays in front of him the whole way and prevents him from getting to the ball. He gets away with hand contact as the ball is arriving. Fouts says Parker gave up on the route. I don’t really agree with that. He would have had to run through Cromartie somehow to get to that ball which was outside anyways and hard to bring down and be able to double tap it even if Cromartie didn’t have position preventing him from getting there. If it was catchable Cromartie may have been able to come down with it.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]8th target 10 yard out route on the right side. Parker is double covered on this play but gets enough space on the sideline. Again he catches it with his hands extending for the ball and cradles it gently bringing it in. He gets both feet down for a nice 1st down as the 2 defenders are closing in on him. This was the 1st time in the game the Dolphins converted on 3rd down. They are 1 of 9 converting 3rd down now the announcer says.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]9th target 4th down and 8, Parker runs a quick slant from the right side. He has 3 defenders around him in a triangle (one of them is picking up the RB underneath Parkers route but is not far from where the throw is). Cromartie breaks to the ball that is a bit high but Parker gets both hands on it. Cromartie who is a little late has his hands near Parkers head which may have distracted him as he fails to make the catch and it bounces up in the air off his hands.If the pass would have been a little shorter and lower it would have made for an easier catch but Parker still would have gotten drilled. Fouts thinks Parker should have made that play. He is probably right this time.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]10th target 4th and 5, Parker runs a quick come back route on the right side and is able to make a move past Cromartie after the catch and he scores the TD.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]So out of the 6 targets that were not caught I count two deflections, one throw away, two possible drops/failed contested situation and the play where Cromartie keeps him from getting there that could be considered thrown away or just well defended preventing Parker from reaching the ball.[/SIZE]

Just watched the targets on rewind. I haven't seen the whole game yet but the Jets look like they are playing a lot of defensive backs in this game so still not sure why the Dolphins threw the ball so much with so few LB on the field. Anyhow my notes about the targets:

[SIZE=12pt]1st target 1st and 25 3 WR Landry and Parker run a scissors route Parker running the post from the outside. Even though he gets held a bit Parker still gets to the right depth and makes his break inside where Tannehill throws it to him. The ball is really wobbling before it gets there, looks catchable although it led him a bit too far. The defenders also get away with a grab as the ball arrives and Parker fails to make the catch.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]2nd target Parker runs an out and up route then comes back to the ball. He is doubled covered and although he gets his hands on the ball Skrine who is in front of him knocks the ball away. Better pass this time although poor decision.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]3rd target is just thrown away. 3 man pass rush got to Tannehill, don’t think anyone was open.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]4th target bootleg roll out to the right. Landry and Parker both run out routes at different levels to the right and Tannehill finds Parker open for a 20 yard catch. I love how Parker always uses his hands and extends for the ball.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]5th target Parker runs a dig route from the left side over the middle. Walls who is trailing him close is able to get his hand in there and break up the pass. I cannot see exactly what happens on this play because stupid graphic pops up blocking the view just at that moment.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]6th target Parker runs a slant route from the left side and Tannehill delivers the ball on time which Parker catches in stride before the LB can get in front of it. He gains another six yards after the catch converting the 1st down. About 13 yards on this one.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]7th target Parker runs a go route on the right side. The Jets blitz so Tannehill throws the ball to Parker but it is too far and out of bounds. He is going against Cromartie who stays in front of him the whole way and prevents him from getting to the ball. He gets away with hand contact as the ball is arriving. Fouts says Parker gave up on the route. I don’t really agree with that. He would have had to run through Cromartie somehow to get to that ball which was outside anyways and hard to bring down and be able to double tap it even if Cromartie didn’t have position preventing him from getting there. If it was catchable Cromartie may have been able to come down with it.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]8th target 10 yard out route on the right side. Parker is double covered on this play but gets enough space on the sideline. Again he catches it with his hands extending for the ball and cradles it gently bringing it in. He gets both feet down for a nice 1st down as the 2 defenders are closing in on him. This was the 1st time in the game the Dolphins converted on 3rd down. They are 1 of 9 converting 3rd down now the announcer says.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]9th target 4th down and 8, Parker runs a quick slant from the right side. He has 3 defenders around him in a triangle (one of them is picking up the RB underneath Parkers route but is not far from where the throw is). Cromartie breaks to the ball that is a bit high but Parker gets both hands on it. Cromartie who is a little late has his hands near Parkers head which may have distracted him as he fails to make the catch and it bounces up in the air off his hands.If the pass would have been a little shorter and lower it would have made for an easier catch but Parker still would have gotten drilled. Fouts thinks Parker should have made that play. He is probably right this time.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]10th target 4th and 5, Parker runs a quick come back route on the right side and is able to make a move past Cromartie after the catch and he scores the TD.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]So out of the 6 targets that were not caught I count two deflections, one throw away, two possible drops/failed contested situation and the play where Cromartie keeps him from getting there that could be considered thrown away or just well defended preventing Parker from reaching the ball.[/SIZE]
great summary! Thanks for this!

Your welcome. I needed a break. :)

Parker was not getting much separation on his routes which I recall was a concern about him as a college prospect as well. This may cause more contested catch situations than a QB and coach might like. Some of the throws I thought were scary and shouldn't have been thrown. 2 of his targets were on 4th down and one was on 3rd down that he converted. So already a bit of an act of desperation there.

His routes seemed fine and there was some variety he was targeted on. I didn't want each route in slow motion, but it is possible his breaks could be sharper as I know his technique needed polish still coming out of college.

A year of working on strength can help him as well against corners like Cromartie. To his credit he had very good releases off of the jam and was able to fight through some of early contact to at least get to the ball aside from the one where Cromartie had really good position on him. This was a strength of his in college that I see carrying over to this game.

Nice breakdown, thanks for that. If another solid showing this week I may flex over amari (at Denver) week 14

One thing that could hamper any Miami offensive player this week is the opponent. They play the Ravens this week and they are starting QB Matt Schaub who has thrown a pick-six in an NFL record 4 games in a row. If he makes it five in a row it takes away one offensive series.

One thing that could hamper any Miami offensive player this week is the opponent. They play the Ravens this week and they are starting QB Matt Schaub who has thrown a pick-six in an NFL record 4 games in a row. If he makes it five in a row it takes away one offensive series.
Dont sweat it...Tannehill will see that Pick SIx and raise him a Fumble Six.

Oh jeez, really debating on starting Parker or Michael Floyd now. Rishard was putting up decent numbers,

Yeah I'm rolling with Parker over diggs and Adams but I already clinched a bye so little risk. Just going for points now and I think he had the most upside

Debating Paker over Tate...would you do it or not? why? why not? I know this is the not the AC forum but as an Adams owner (which I assume most are) I'd appreciate the feedback.

The move to a more balanced offense can be seen two ways. Potentially fewer targets, but if the offense moves the ball better with more balance the reduction in targets is more than neutralized by an increase in scoring opportunities. Targets in or near the red zone are far more valuable than those between the 20's. The quality of targets is more important than the quantity.

Bought in on Parker (redraft, non-ppr). Dropped Davante Adams for him.

Flexing him this week over TY Hilton and Alfred Blue.

Wow, that seems pretty ballsy. All this talk is making me step closer and closer to the Parker train....... full speed ahead?!?!

Wow. Not sure I am on board with that. Pittsburgh pass D has been just as bad as Baltimore lately, and they dont have the huge mess on the coaching staff that Miami has. Miami has an unknown TE coach as its HC, and an unknown QB coach as it's OC. Not like Miami's TEs and QBs have lit the world on fire either.

Tanny is no better than Hassel, and TY is a proven commodity vs Parker who has proven nothing. I love the optimism as a Fins fan, but theres no way I'd personally start him over TY. Over Blue...sure!

Wow. Not sure I am on board with that. Pittsburgh pass D has been just as bad as Baltimore lately, and they dont have the huge mess on the coaching staff that Miami has. Miami has an unknown TE coach as its HC, and an unknown QB coach as it's OC. Not like Miami's TEs and QBs have lit the world on fire either.

Tanny is no better than Hassel, and TY is a proven commodity vs Parker who has proven nothing. I love the optimism as a Fins fan, but theres no way I'd personally start him over TY. Over Blue...sure!
I'm debating him over JMatthews (NE) and Stevie Johnson (DEN). I love that their coach said he's going to be getting a full load this week./ And against that juicy Baltimore defense.

I'm debating him over JMatthews (NE) and Stevie Johnson (DEN). I love that their coach said he's going to be getting a full load this week./ And against that juicy Baltimore defense.
This, could just be coachspeak, but that has me pretty excited.

Having to make this same decision. Dug a little bit.

Baltimore has given up 839 yards/7 TDs in 11 games to opposing WR1s.

They've given up 787 yards/7 TDs in 11 games to the opponent's 2nd WR.

Now some of those WR2's were guys like E. Sanders, A. Cooper, A Boldin,M. Floyd (both of them), & Hurns; I'm not putting Parker in that class, but the Ravens are 27th in FF points given up to RBs, 28th in FF points given up to TEs, and 3rd in FF points given up to WR. They seem to be able to stop the run, contain the TEs, but WRs kill them, and it's not just b/c of 1 corner, they seem to get torched by all WRs.

Parker is starting to show why he was drafted so high. Looked really good yesterday, despite only three receptions.

I guess the question is, is he going to be a viable WR3 the rest of the season or will his below-average quarterback and ground-oriented offense make limit him like Stefon Diggs in Minnesota?

Looked really good yesterday, despite only three receptions.
Are you referring to the highlight play or whole game? I didn't see it and am really curious if he was getting open frequently, beating press coverage, good/bad run blocking, etc.

Week 12 Rookie Report

Excerpt:

DeVante Parker (WR-Mia)

DeVante Parker has been mostly invisible in Miami this season, struggling to climb the depth chart and dealing with a recurrence of his foot issue that led to surgery over the summer. Certainly those two facts are related, as Parker never really had time to get up to speed after missing much of the offseason program.

Starter Rishard Matthews left with an injury on Miami’s third offensive play Sunday, which gave Parker an increased opportunity. The rookie receiver saw a whopping 10 targets on a day Ryan Tannehill threw 58 passes and turned those chances into four receptions for 80 yards and a touchdown.

The Dolphins offense was lifeless in the first half and Parker looked tentative in his first extended playing time of the year. He beat Antonio Cromartie off the line on a post route late in the first quarter, but couldn’t corral the catch as Tannehill tried to drop the ball in between a diving Cromartie and safety Marcus Gilchrist.

On a 3rd-and-18 in the second quarter, Parker ran a deep curl short of the first down marker and Tannehill’s throw was late, allowing Buster Skrine to come underneath and break up the pass. Parker broke open on another outside curl later in the quarter, but gave up once Tannehill looked to the other side of the field before the quarterback was forced to throw the ball away over Parker’s head.

Parker made his first catch of the game on the second play of the third quarter on a crossing route when he found open space just beyond the linebackers, made the catch and turned upfield for a 20-yard gain. Two plays later, he rounded off an in-breaking route and allowed Jets reserve corner Darrin Walls to undercut his route. Parker got his hands on the pass, but Walls was in great position to prevent him from completing it.

Later in the quarter, the rookie receiver made a big 3rd-and-10 conversion with the Dolphins still hanging onto hope of a comeback down 21 points. Parker rounded off his out route again, but that helped him keep separation from the underneath corner and Tannehill delivered the pass on time as Parker extended away from his body to make the catch on the sideline and get both feet down in bounds.

Parker’s first NFL touchdown came deep in garbage time on an out route where the rookie showed off his playmaking ability after the catch. After making the catch on the sideline, Parker cut back inside Cromartie’s overpursuit and cut back again when Gilchrist played him too far towards the sideline on his way to a nice 33-yard run-and-catch. While Parked looked slow on the play, he managed to find his way into the end zone nonetheless.

Four catches for 80 yards sounds good, but Parker left a lot of plays on the field. He played tentatively at times and it’s obvious the game has yet to slow down for the rookie, which is to be expected considering the lack of repetitions throughout the offseason and into the regular season. Parker’s chemistry with Tannehill was borderline awful, and he floated out of his route breaks, a problem that stems back to his days at Louisville.

Miami’s first-round pick will have the opportunity to gain valuable reps down the stretch with Matthews out indefinitely thanks to multiple rib fractures, and the Dolphins will be hoping his health cooperates as Parker gets used to the speed of the NFL game. This was shaping up like a lost season for Parker just a week ago, but now he can use the final five games to build his own confidence and chemistry with Tannehill heading into next season.

wow, he accounted for 73% of the passing yards (Tanny only had 86 yds :X )... should be lookin at 200+ if Tannehill can go for 300.

Users who are viewing this thread