Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Biabreakable

DeVante Parker Miami Dolphins Signs a 2 year deal to stay with the Dolphins for some reason

15 minutes ago, bulger2holt said:

If Stills gets the 2 WR sets over Parker, he's useless.  

Speaking of Stills    Phins could see interest in the trade deadline  http://www.thephinsider.com/2016/5/3/11576142/how-does-leonte-carroo-fit-dolphins-draft-pick-rutgers

Parker will succeed, while Stills moves along in FA next Season is what Im left to believe..

8 hours ago, Kitrick Taylor said:

I read it more like he doesn't yet know how to take care of his body.  Parker has been an elite talent all his life. Guys with that kind of talent can often skate through HS and College.  Doing the little things like eating right, hydrating appropriately, may not be things that he's ever taken seriously.  

I think I read something about Jordan Reed last year and how he realized the importance of stretching and thats what he credited to his improved health. 

33 minutes ago, bulger2holt said:

That's what Parker buyers are banking on.

Sounds to me like the coach is sick of Parker.

10415.jpg

Dolphins coach Adam Gase said DeVante Parker (hamstring) needs to do "the little things" off the field to stay healthy.

Parker tweaked his left hamstring in Monday's practice after missing several weeks of camp with a similar injury. "I feel like I’ve been through this with Demaryius [Thomas] in Denver," Gase said. "Sometimes it takes some guys more time to learn more than others. Eventually ... he will know how to push through certain kinds of pain." Gase is clearly frustrated with the sophomore, who has fallen behind Kenny Stills on the depth chart. Parker still has more fantasy upside than Stills, but he is a risky pick in the eighth round.

What I have been hearing is Parker needs to improve his diet and just taking care of himself, some things he is not doing. Being dehydrated can contribute to the hamstring issues. So the little things Gase is talking about probably has to do with that, as well as details like running routes with more precise timing and stuff like that.

9 hours ago, bulger2holt said:

The Dolphins ran plenty of 3-WR sets last game.

https://twitter.com/PFF_NateJahnke/status/768984888372494336

Dolphins 1st half WR snap count: Kenny Stills 45, Jarvis Landry 44, DeVante Parker 38, Griff Whalen 1. Out of 46

The Miami Herald's Adam Beasley reports there are "real questions" about when DeVante Parker (hamstring) will return.

Beasley thinks the Dolphins' decision to keep both Griff Whalen and Jakeem Grant on the initial roster suggests they are not sure about Parker's health. Parker tweaked his hamstring last Monday and sat out the final preseason game. Plagued by injuries again this preseason, the sophomore has fallen behind Kenny Stills in the pecking order. Parker is not worth a pick in the first 10 rounds.

Source: Miami Herald 
Sep 3 - 6:08 PM

Looking like his 2016 will probably mirror his 2015.  Little to no value early on but probably pays off mid-late season.  

Had high hopes for a big year out of Parker.   Not likely  

Really starting to worry about this kid, and I had such high hopes. To the point that I traded away Julio and J. Charles for Parker, Elliot, and Michael Thomas in one of my PPR dynasty leagues. Starting to look like a mistake this year (although long term going from Charles to Elliot should be big) 

Hope he gets serious about his profession with his diet and routine. Players sometimes take a few years to do this. 

Coach Adam Gase revealed DeVante Parker has dealt with injuries to both of his hamstrings this summer.

He's missed time with strains to both his left and right hamstrings. The Dolphins have dropped several not-so-subtle hints that Parker needs to take better care of his body. He doesn't look likely to play Sunday in Seattle.

Sep 5 - 3:41 PM

27 minutes ago, Faust said:

One before was pretty informative too..

Dolphins coach Adam Gase confirms DeVante Parker's (hamstring) status is uncertain for Week 1.
That's the bad news. The good news is, Parker is still listed as a starter despite his rollercoaster summer. The Dolphins list three starters at wideout, with Parker joining Jarvis Landry and Kenny Stills. Keep Parker stashed, but he might not be of much use in September.

18 minutes ago, Dismattle said:
One before was pretty informative too..

Dolphins coach Adam Gase confirms DeVante Parker's (hamstring) status is uncertain for Week 1.
That's the bad news. The good news is, Parker is still listed as a starter despite his rollercoaster summer. The Dolphins list three starters at wideout, with Parker joining Jarvis Landry and Kenny Stills. Keep Parker stashed, but he might not be of much use in September.

Third in the depth chart ain't bad. We will take it!

51 minutes ago, georg013 said:

Third in the depth chart ain't bad. We will take it!

LOL You make it sound like hes two spots behind from seeing the field

Parker takes the field when Miami goes three wide which is often (for an explosive player)

This is to start the Season, returning from injury no less

LOL 3rd   I wish he was so i could cut his ###

DeVante Parker (hamstring) returned to practice on Friday.

He'll likely be listed as a limited participant. According to Adam Beasley of the Miami Herald, Parker went through warmups and ran at least one passing route. The second-year wideout is still a long shot for Week 1. The Dolphins are expected to go with Jarvis Landry, Kenny Stills and Leonte Carroo in three-wide sets Sunday against the Seahawks.

Sep 9 - 3:37 PM

For those who missed it...

Dolphins trying to get Parker to be a Professional

The Miami Dolphins were only a couple of days into their 2016 training camp when receiver DeVante Parker felt a twinge in his hamstring. And then what was a minor nuisance turned into a hamstring strain a couple of minutes later. And as Parker missed practice time the team was figuring out what happened, and why it seemingly happened so often because this wasn't Parker's first injury issue. That's when this revelations came to light:

The Dolphins coaching staff learned that their prized first-round pick of a year ago hadn't really been getting a good breakfast every morning. Some days he'd skip breakfast altogether.

And he wasn't drinking enough water. Indeed, sometimes he wasn't drinking much of anything throughout the day to stay properly hydrated.

And the collective reaction from some in this organization that hired a team nutritionist in the last year and is placing a big emphasis on sports science for their players was, "Whaaaaat?"

DeVante Parker, grown man and physically gifted as he is, didn't know how to be a professional. The NFL is not Louisville, Parker's alma mater where he dominated by using mostly his raw athletic gifts.

The NFL requires more. The NFL requires everything.

And so the Dolphins explained to Parker if he is going to thrive in the NFL, he has to stay healthy. And to stay healthy, the team decided, Parker had to grow up off and on the field.

"A lot of the job of making him a good player has been getting him in a routine of learning to do things in life," receiver coach Shawn Jefferson told me. "He's got to get up every morning and get a good breakfast. Hydrate. You know what I'm saying? So we put a system in place now that I think is going to pay big dividends down the road."

This was almost a month ago. But on Monday, Parker felt a tweak in his leg again. And he stepped out of practice. Again.

And while the Dolphins are still hoping and indeed expecting big things from Parker this season, coach Adam Gase is making it clear the young man has to mature in several respects beyond just taking care of his body.

DeVante Parker has to take care of business on the practice field as well. 

"Parker's going to be day to day right now so we’re just going to keep working with him and strengthening him up," Gase said. "When you’re a second-year receiver, I feel like I’ve been through this a couple of times. I just go back to Demaryius (Thomas), when we were in Denver. It just felt like he was always hurt. It was just one of those things, it was just like one thing after the other.

"The thing is, these guys, the longer they start doing this, the more they realize how much they have to take care of their body, how important it is to practice fast every day ...''

There it is.

"...and make sure they really push themselves because now, all of a sudden, when you go to turn it on, especially on game day and your body’s not ready for it, this is when you can possibly have these kind of issues.

"So that’s been our point of emphasis with him is all the little tiny things that you have to do off the field, in the building, and then when you get out to practice you have to treat every day like a game. Sometimes it takes some guys a little longer to learn than others. Eventually it gets to the point where you get tired of being the guy standing on the sideline.

"I do think he’s a little frustrated as far as he’s been the odd man out all the time. Kenny (Stills) and Jarvis (Landry) have been out there working together now and he’s kind of had to watch. We’ll keep working and he’ll eventually figure it out to where he knows his routine; he knows how to stay healthy, he knows how to push through certain kind of pains where it’s not going to really deter him from where he’s going to miss some games.

"It’s a fine line there, especially at that position. You really have to be locked into your body."

It is a fine line between calling a player out and simply being honest. Gase is being portrayed in some places as having called Parker out. The fact is he doesn't have to do that in the media because this coach does it directly to a player's face. And he's had this career chat with Parker already.

So Gase isn't trying to embarrass Parker. He's doing what a good head coach does. He's trying to help Parker get better.

Parker, for his part, is going to have to learn to fight through pain. And when he feels no pain, he's going to have to practice harder as in at game speed at times.

Remember that last year, coaches didn't want to put Parker on the field because both head coach Joe Philbin and then interim Dan Campbell said they needed to "see it" from Parker in practice. And they didn't see it. Well, that's because Parker wasn't showing it in practice. He wasn't the same guy in practice he was in games (when he finally got the opportunity).

Unfortunately, whatever lesson the last coaching staff showed Parker about working hard during the week to make game day easier didn't seem to stick. Parker, it must be repeated because it seems he forgets, has to practice harder.

DeVante Parker is a kind, laid back, soft-spoken individual. He doesn't play that way. But he practices that way.

He has to stop practicing that way. He has to practice up to his potential if he ever wants to play to his potential. And what is that potential?

"A special talent," Jefferson said. "Trust me, he's a special talent. He's blessed athletically. Trust me. He can do it all."

The Dolphins are in the process of remaking DeVante Parker. They monitor what he eats to make sure he's energized. They monitor what he drinks to make sure he's hydrated. They are nursing his legs. They are trying to help him grow up.

Part of the growth is learning to be a professional. And part of being a professional is going to work every day the team is practicing as well as on game day.

13 minutes ago, Slapdash said:

Hopefully he can go Sunday

Caroo was on the field 85% of the snaps last weekend, just to be clear he is firmly the WR4 but as I tried to point out he plays the same position as Parker. 

I kind of question where Caroo is going to play long term if this is Parker's spot.

Can Parker be flipped over to where Stills is and Caroo work the intermediate stuff?

SE-Stils

FL-Parker/Caroo

Slot-Landry

I think that's right  but maybe you see it different. What country are you in now?

25 minutes ago, Ministry of Pain said:

SE-Stils

FL-Parker/Caroo

Slot-Landry

Is that right?  Landry is their slot WR?  They are running an offense from the slot-WR?  

The Dolphins have changed OCs a lot but always mystify me every year with that offense.

In the first game, Stills looked shaky.  He had that HUGE drop that would have gone for an easy deep TD and also dropped at least one other shorter pass.  

Drew Brees didn't want anything to do with him in New Orleans.

I like DeVante Parker over Stills at this point even with Parker's issues publically aired but people forget Stills had issues that were never made public and the Saints flat-out cut him during the season when he was producing so whatever happened was more serious than being immature and not taking care of his body ALA Parker. 

18 minutes ago, Bracie Smathers said:

I like DeVante Parker over Stills at this point even with Parker's issues publically aired but people forget Stills had issues that were never made public and the Saints flat-out cut him during the season when he was producing so whatever happened was more serious than being immature and not taking care of his body ALA Parker. 

Saints didn't cut Stills, they traded him to Miami for a 3rd round pick & some scrub player (in March after the season).

Just now, mcd said:

Saints didn't cut Stills, they traded him to Miami for a 3rd round pick & some scrub player (in March after the season).

Up, sorry.  I know they got rid of him for nothing so I thought they cut him but Brees was behind it according to rumors.

32 minutes ago, Bracie Smathers said:

Up, sorry.  I know they got rid of him for nothing so I thought they cut him but Brees was behind it according to rumors.

it wasn't really for nothing. A 3rd and Darell Ellerbe is good value for a young receiver with promise. There were rumors that Brees wanted to get rid of Stills but I was also apparent that the fins wanted Stills. The dolphins are one of those teams, like the Colts, that thinks surrounding their young QB with weapons is the best way for them to succeed. They drafted Landry and Parker in the second and first round, traded for Stills, signed Wallace and Cameron for big money. This is a team that puts a premium on collecting receiving options.

This mentality also means they are in a position where they don't feel they need to rush Parker into a wr1 role like many teams do with first round wrs. Gase may be frustrated with Parker's conditioning/development but he also knows that Parker isn't really a vital component of the offense right now in the same way Landry is.

This is getting to be like the Periman and other 1st round WR pick situations where he rarely sees the field or get opportunities over a couple seasons. He needs to get on the field and be productive or the team will move on.

3 hours ago, Bracie Smathers said:

Is that right?  Landry is their slot WR?  They are running an offense from the slot-WR?  

The Dolphins have changed OCs a lot but always mystify me every year with that offense.

In the first game, Stills looked shaky.  He had that HUGE drop that would have gone for an easy deep TD and also dropped at least one other shorter pass.  

Drew Brees didn't want anything to do with him in New Orleans.

Yes, Landry is definitely our slot guy...he's a possession WR folks. It's not good if every pass is targeted his way. Defenses seem to have figured out he really can't run right by them. 

Parker needs to roll over to Stills spot and Caroo is going to be the FL. I say that since Landry lines up slot right, TEs typically line up right side to assist the RT off the line, whoever is wide would be lined up off the LOS? You would in theory have another WR on the LOS left side. I would consider that our Split End-SE. 

Landry played the flanker in LSU while OBJ played split end.

For the Dolphins in 2 WR sets Landry should be the flanker and Stills plays the split end I guess. However it is my understanding that Parker and Carroo both play split end in 3 WR sets, in which case Stills plays the flanker and Landry moves to the slot unless Still plays inside then Landry would be the flanker.

They did not run 2 TE sets very often and most of the time had 3 WR on the field as this is Gase's preferred formation/personnel grouping.

Game one:

K Stills WR 53 98% 5 targets 1 reception 16 yards 16.0 ypc
J Landry WR 51 94% 10 targets 7 receptions 59 yards 8.4 ypc
J Cameron TE 48 89% 3 targets 2 receptions 6 yards 3.0 ypc
A Foster RB 46 85% 13 rushing attempts 38 yards 2.9 ypc 5 targets 3 receptions 62 yards 20.7 ypc
L Carroo WR 45 83% 2 targets 2 receptions 14 yards 7.0 ypc
D Sims TE 13 24% 
D Williams RB 6 11% 2 rshing attempts 9 yards 4.5 ypc 2 targets 1 reception 29 yards 29.0 ypc
M Gray TE 1 2% 
K Drake RB 1 2% 
J Hunter WR 1 2%

As you can see Cameron played on 89% of the snaps, not quite as much as Stills and Landry, but close. Carroo had only 3 snaps less than Cameron. Sims was on the field for 24% of the plays, but some of these must have been in relief of Cameron while there was something like 8 or so 2 TE sets.

Stills played more than any other skill player, but he only caught 20% of his 5 targets. 

So what do we think?  Was this game an aberration for Tannehill and Parker (down big at half time, throwing all over the field in the second half) or does it indicate Parker might actually be a decent WR 2/3 this season?  He was dropped in my league, so I'm thinking of spending a high waiver pick on him.

9 hours ago, Truebluey said:

So what do we think?  Was this game an aberration for Tannehill and Parker (down big at half time, throwing all over the field in the second half) or does it indicate Parker might actually be a decent WR 2/3 this season?  He was dropped in my league, so I'm thinking of spending a high waiver pick on him.

Unless Tyrell Williams is still on your waiver wire, there really isn't anyone out there who has a higher ceiling.  Definitely worth the pickup.

THill once down 31-3 and DBs letting WRs roam wild for NE, yeah it looked pretty good. 

Parker is easy to like when he is allowed to get open. I know he is coming back from injury, those who have NFL Game Rewind might want to look at the receptions closer but I didn't see a guy trying to challenge much after he caught the ball vs Landry let's say who is looking to get up field. The passes from THill were pretty crisp and in general on the money but I stress it seems like Parker is running wide open at times. 

I want to see him open the game 3/50/TD in the 1st Q when the game is still being decided. I'm not talking FF as much but more NFL 1st line Wide Receiver...is he that? Will he become that soon?

We don't know is my verdict right now. 

3 minutes ago, Kitrick Taylor said:

Just watched every Tannehill throw.  Parker looks good.  There were a couple soft coverages there, but he certainly made some nice contested catches as well.  

One Handed grab

Good stuff. Does it matter what the score is at the time? I definitely have enjoyed owning guys at WR on 4-12 teams that get a lot of garbage time in the 2nd half, those guys exist. Last season it seemed he did well late in games when Miami was losing. He also had a week where he opened the game strong but then faded a little. 

-I want to see him beat double coverage on 3rd/6 for a FD. I want to see him make a toe tapper along the sideline to save a drive when the game is 10-7 half way theu the 2nd, just a lot of unanswered questions from an NFL evaluation but yeah this guy seems like a potential steal if you can pluck him off waivers. A lot fo owners cut him week 1, might regret that. 

Miami is likely to play from behind many weeks. 

5 of the next 6 games are Home Games...

CLE...looks like he should do well here.

@Cin...this is gonna be tough on a short week, Thurs Night game

TEN...look what they did last week

PITT...not easy

BUFF...Rex plays us tough

NYJ...Much better team than Miami. Maybe he can burn Revis

Lot of home games on the horizon but not super easy match ups by any stretch either. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Kitrick Taylor said:

Just watched every Tannehill throw.  Parker looks good.  There were a couple soft coverages there, but he certainly made some nice contested catches as well.  

One Handed grab

Knock on Parker is his ability to get open, not make contested catches IMO

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Truebluey said:

IMO, he has a chance to become the #1 WR for his team.  Jarvis Landry is a target monster by default.  Kenny Stills is never going to be an answer of any kind, please see every other game of his career as proof.  Jordan Cameron?  Come on now.  

As fa as an aberration, consider this:

Parker never got a lot of run last year until week 12 last year.  Here are his lines in every game he has played since week 12 last season (Targets in parentheses):

4(10)-80-1

3(5)-63-1

2(5)-16

4(6)-87

4(10)-93

5(6)-106-1

8(13)-106

Seven game sample size is no joke.  

• Like 2

8 hours ago, massraider said:

So what do we think?  Was this game an aberration for Tannehill and Parker

As MR and Silva point out, 5 of the last 7 games are not an aberation.

8 hours ago, massraider said:

IMO, he has a chance to become the #1 WR for his team.  Jarvis Landry is a target monster by default.  Kenny Stills is never going to be an answer of any kind, please see every other game of his career as proof.  Jordan Cameron?  Come on now.  

As fa as an aberration, consider this:

Parker never got a lot of run last year until week 12 last year.  Here are his lines in every game he has played since week 12 last season (Targets in parentheses):

4(10)-80-1

3(5)-63-1

2(5)-16

4(6)-87

4(10)-93

5(6)-106-1

8(13)-106

Seven game sample size is no joke.  

Since DeVante Parker broke into the #Dolphins lineup last Week 12, he has gone for 80+ yards in 5-of-7 games:

8 minutes ago, Dismattle said:

grr thought ya bumped for injury    Yes grt start though    Hopefully they run the score up!

No.  More my relief after all the good offers I'd passed up for him this offseason in dynasty. 

DeVante Parker played 49-of-73 snaps (67%) Week 7 against the Bills.
Parker was on the field for 19 fewer plays than Kenny Stills, who also saw four more targets. It is the first time this season Parker has played fewer than 82 percent of the snaps, but he has seen four or fewer targets in three of the last four games. He has topped 30 yards once since Week 3. Even with the Jets on deck in Week 9, Parker is not a must-hold in shallow leagues through the bye week. Oct 24 - 12:09 PM

There hasn't been much discussion regarding Parker. Is anyone concerned in dynasty? I'm assuming he's on the WW in most redraft leagues.

44 minutes ago, dipandglide said:
DeVante Parker played 49-of-73 snaps (67%) Week 7 against the Bills.
Parker was on the field for 19 fewer plays than Kenny Stills, who also saw four more targets. It is the first time this season Parker has played fewer than 82 percent of the snaps, but he has seen four or fewer targets in three of the last four games. He has topped 30 yards once since Week 3. Even with the Jets on deck in Week 9, Parker is not a must-hold in shallow leagues through the bye week. Oct 24 - 12:09 PM

There hasn't been much discussion regarding Parker. Is anyone concerned in dynasty? I'm assuming he's on the WW in most redraft leagues.

I'm getting terrified.  I drafted him in all 3 dynasty leagues.  Moved him in one in the Spring for a great return, but held in two others, one of which I had a pretty competitive offer that I passed.  I'd take a "close enough" offer in a heartbeat at this point but I think those days have passed.  He needs to heat up.

Apparently he has been battling another hamstring injury the last few weeks.  Looked healthier yesterday, and that showed in the stats.  Another big play called back after a penalty

Edited by Slapdash
f