What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR DeVante Parker, Eagles. (1 Viewer)

DeVante Parker – Louisville

Excels on the deep ball with exceptional ball skills and huge catch radius. LONG arms enable him to gain separation and grab balls most WRs would have no chance at
WR DeVante Parker – Louisville – 6-3/209 – Grade: 7.2 Very long frame with best long speed of the top 3 WRs (on film). Silky in his movements, fearlessness over the middle, and will make his living in the intermediate game.Link
I'd have to watch more film of him but my impression of him was a possession wr. Most of the plays downfield I saw him make there was a defender all over him. Ball skills are nice but if you aren't creating significant separation in college you'll be blanketed in the pros.
Well you can start here DeVante Parker vs FSU (2014)

Does he get separation on the first play of this game or not?

He is playing against PJ Williams who is graded as a first round corner prospect for the NFL draft. 4th best corner of this class according to Rob Rang and highly regarded by just about everyone.
That game is a prime example, which will amaze the people who love him. Most of the plays down the field he has a defender within a foot of him.

The play you mention was a blown coverage. He was open by over 5 yards, clearly a blown assignment. And when the defender turns to run, he eats up that cushion very quickly. When a defender gains over 5 yards in a 20 yard span, that's a pretty huge difference. http://draftbreakdown.com/video/devante-parker-vs-fsu-2014/His 2 other big plays, a bit after the 3 minute mark he was blanketed, the qb made a perfect throw and he pushed off a bit. At the 4:30 mark he was covered and really pushed off.

I'm not saying he's a bad wr but some people are talking about him like a big deep threat and a potential elite wr in the NFL. I agree more with Cosell, I see more of a possession wr that will have the occasional big play. I think he's better than Crabtree, Hopkins may be a better comparison, but he's not a Julio Jones, Mike Evans, etc.
White is Hopkins. He has an even worse time "separating" because his routes are horrible, especially for a fake 4.35 guy.

Being a deep threat isn't about separating. I'm not even sure most people know what that word means or how it actually happens.
Good grief, your repeated White hate has even made it into the Parker thread.

DeVante Parker Louisville

Excels on the deep ball with exceptional ball skills and huge catch radius. LONG arms enable him to gain separation and grab balls most WRs would have no chance at
WR DeVante Parker Louisville 6-3/209 Grade: 7.2 Very long frame with best long speed of the top 3 WRs (on film). Silky in his movements, fearlessness over the middle, and will make his living in the intermediate game.

Link
I'd have to watch more film of him but my impression of him was a possession wr. Most of the plays downfield I saw him make there was a defender all over him. Ball skills are nice but if you aren't creating significant separation in college you'll be blanketed in the pros.

He is playing against PJ Williams who is graded as a first round corner prospect for the NFL draft. 4th best corner of this class according to Rob Rang and highly regarded by just about everyone.
That game is a prime example, which will amaze the people who love him. Most of the plays down the field he has a defender within a foot of him.

The play you mention was a blown coverage. He was open by over 5 yards, clearly a blown assignment. And when the defender turns to run, he eats up that cushion very quickly. When a defender gains over 5 yards in a 20 yard span, that's a pretty huge difference. http://draftbreakdown.com/video/devante-parker-vs-fsu-2014/His 2 other big plays, a bit after the 3 minute mark he was blanketed, the qb made a perfect throw and he pushed off a bit. At the 4:30 mark he was covered and really pushed off.

I'm not saying he's a bad wr but some people are talking about him like a big deep threat and a potential elite wr in the NFL. I agree more with Cosell, I see more of a possession wr that will have the occasional big play. I think he's better than Crabtree, Hopkins may be a better comparison, but he's not a Julio Jones, Mike Evans, etc.
White is Hopkins. He has an even worse time "separating" because his routes are horrible, especially for a fake 4.35 guy.

Being a deep threat isn't about separating. I'm not even sure most people know what that word means or how it actually happens.
Good grief, another troll with no substance.

DeVante Parker Louisville

WR DeVante Parker Louisville 6-3/209 Grade: 7.2 Very long frame with best long speed of the top 3 WRs (on film). Silky in his movements, fearlessness over the middle, and will make his living in the intermediate game.

Link

Good grief, another troll with no substance.
Sometimes, it is better to be responsible and simply accept when people have valid points, like mine. I actually like to read your opinions. But I don't want to read the same point 1000 times and then have them clog up yet another thread.

Last edited by a moderator:
The play you mention was a blown coverage. He was open by over 5 yards, clearly a blown assignment. And when the defender turns to run, he eats up that cushion very quickly. When a defender gains over 5 yards in a 20 yard span, that's a pretty huge difference.
Yeah that play was a terrible blown coverage. Still, the fact that he got caught by the defender gaining over 5 YDS in a 20 yd span was entirely because of how horribly under thrown the pass was, causing Parker to nearly stop to make the catch. I'm not sure how this wasn't pointed out.The play at the 3 min mark is a thing of beauty and shows a ton of attributes that translate to the NFL. I'm not sure how this play can be justified as something negative, at all. He cleanly beats a very good press CB of the LOS, gets immediately even, is pulling away, idles down using his body to create perfect positioning between him and the defender and tracks the ball perfectly on an over the shoulder outside pass. The ball tracking on this play is what is most impressive and it's the reason you think it's a push off. He slows to allows this pass to drop perfectly and he makes the throw look better than it was.

The 3rd play was a clear push off.
On the first play, the defender looks clearly a lot faster than him before and after the catch, just how I see it.

I won't argue that the play at the 3 min mark was nice ball skills but the defender was right on his hip and was running right with him the whole wayl. Not saying it's a bad play but this is best game in college and there's not a lot of proof there that he will be a deep threat in the NFL for me. I've watched his other games as well and I just don't see plays where he accelerates past defenders and leaves them in the dust. Like I said earlier, I could see a Hopkins type of player who can make some plays deep but it really isn't something he's going to do consistently at the NFL level. I mean I hope I'm wrong, I have the 1.05 in one league, where I really need a wr, so I'm probably going to pick him but I don't quite see the elite ceiling that others are.
FSU sported two of the best CBs in the country this year. Darby (4.38/40) and Williams (4.57/40) are probable top 50 picks. Parker (in his 2nd game back from injury) schooled them to the tune of 8/214.

Are you suggesting that his 4.45 speed isn't going to translate? To me it is comforting to watch him win in contested situations. That's what its all about in the NFL, because few WRs can leave a CB in the dust.

Parker had a chance to be a 1st rounder in last years draft class. He's a near lock for a top 15 selection this year. Sometimes I think we try too hard to poke holes in a players game. Parker has very good speed, but that isn't his best attribute. He is exceptional at high pointed the football, and has a ridiculous 80 inch wingspan. That is a winning trait in today's NFL.
Great post, agree with everything you stated... Parker should be ELITE think AJgreen, Mike Evans top 10 draft pick..... If the guy didn't miss games with inj last year we wouldn't even talking about this... This guys is Legit and if he is there with any of my 1.5 picks, I will be happy to grab him...

T with T said:
That's a horrible comparison.
thats Cossell for you.. Comp wr???? wow never seen a comp receiver comparable to AJGreen and most likely a top 10 pick LMAO get off the drugs Coss LMAO
Crab was a top 10 pick...

*ducks to avoid thrown objects*

But really tho, this kid is gonna be very good

If you agree with Cosell after watching that all I can say is you only see what you want to see.

Parker gets open on all kinds of routes. You don't have such a high yards per catch as Parker has by only being a short to intermediate receiver.

Cosell had a really bad evaluation of Teddy Bridgewater too. He is just doubling down. If I had any doubt about Bridgewater it was because Parker is so good.

The issue, and it will be a defining one for many NFL coaches, is how Bridgewater threw the ball. He was a short-armer without the needed ability to drive the ball. He was a soft-tosser who threw the ball effectively in the short to intermediate areas inside the numbers, but struggled to make the more difficult throws outside the numbers. And he did not throw the deep ball well at all. He had to put a lot of body into those throws; as a result, he struggled with trajectory and accuracy. Bridgewater's throwing limitations were not a function of arm strength; they were more a result of his natural throwing motion. It was the reason many of his throws fell apart as they gained distance, and lost energy on the back end. Bridgewater doesn't spin it very well; too many passes came out wobbly. If you don't think that's a concern for NFL coaches, then you are not watching the NFL. Link
I guess Norv Turner isn't watching the NFL.

None of this is new, of course. Bridgewater probably displays the greatest amount of development on film. The question is whether that is enough to be an NFL starter, given limited arm strength and size.

"The issue with Bridgewater is he's very slight, he's not a big body, he's got a good arm, not a great arm. Theoretically he can make every throw, but making every throw when you have clean pockets is different than making every throw when you don't. He doesn't really drive the ball, Bridgewater, he's a bit of a short-armer.

"He bulked up to 214 lbs for the combine. I've spoken to people that late in the year he weighed 188 lbs, so he probably bulked up just for the combine so the number would be good. So, you know, that's something you have to think about. He's not a big kid, he's a slight kid."

Cosell ended his Bridgewater description with one line that seemed to sum up his thoughts on the college quarterback. "The question is how much does he need around him to be an effective player."

So, it seems Cosell may view Bridgewater as more of a game manager at quarterback. Someone who will run the offense effectively and efficiently, but who may struggle if the pieces surrounding him are suboptimal. Meanwhile, Blake Bortles is a very talented player, but the question is whether he can harness that talent and turn into a quality NFL starter. Link
Teddy Bridgewater's supporting cast last season would be the very definition of sub optimal. No Adrian Peterson. One of his favorite targets was Charles Johnson who the Vikings plucked off of the Cleveland Browns practice squad. Yet Bridgewater still excelled.

There is some consistency in how Cosell says that Bridgewater/Parker are no good at the deep passing game. He is just wrong on both counts.
and I don't see anyway Bridgewater only weighed 188 pounds last season. He is surely "sleight" but he would have been throw around like a rag doll and broken in half at that weight playing QB.

Seems like 1/2-3/4ths of the mocks I see have Parker dropping out of the top-12. Is that reasonable?
There's a lot of teams between #4 Oakland and #20 Philadelphia that have a need and could select a WR in the first round. I think that the three of these guys are close enough that it will likely come down to each teams individual preference for the position, and what they thought of the three of them in interviews etc. Parker is probably the 3rd WR on most boards, but who knows? I think the most likely scenario has all three of them going in the top 15. They are all worthy of that high of a selection, and this isn't a particularly top heavy draft.

If you agree with Cosell after watching that all I can say is you only see what you want to see.

Parker gets open on all kinds of routes. You don't have such a high yards per catch as Parker has by only being a short to intermediate receiver.

Cosell had a really bad evaluation of Teddy Bridgewater too. He is just doubling down. If I had any doubt about Bridgewater it was because Parker is so good.

The issue, and it will be a defining one for many NFL coaches, is how Bridgewater threw the ball. He was a short-armer without the needed ability to drive the ball. He was a soft-tosser who threw the ball effectively in the short to intermediate areas inside the numbers, but struggled to make the more difficult throws outside the numbers. And he did not throw the deep ball well at all. He had to put a lot of body into those throws; as a result, he struggled with trajectory and accuracy. Bridgewater's throwing limitations were not a function of arm strength; they were more a result of his natural throwing motion. It was the reason many of his throws fell apart as they gained distance, and lost energy on the back end. Bridgewater doesn't spin it very well; too many passes came out wobbly. If you don't think that's a concern for NFL coaches, then you are not watching the NFL. Link

None of this is new, of course. Bridgewater probably displays the greatest amount of development on film. The question is whether that is enough to be an NFL starter, given limited arm strength and size.

"The issue with Bridgewater is he's very slight, he's not a big body, he's got a good arm, not a great arm. Theoretically he can make every throw, but making every throw when you have clean pockets is different than making every throw when you don't. He doesn't really drive the ball, Bridgewater, he's a bit of a short-armer.

"He bulked up to 214 lbs for the combine. I've spoken to people that late in the year he weighed 188 lbs, so he probably bulked up just for the combine so the number would be good. So, you know, that's something you have to think about. He's not a big kid, he's a slight kid."

Cosell ended his Bridgewater description with one line that seemed to sum up his thoughts on the college quarterback. "The question is how much does he need around him to be an effective player."

So, it seems Cosell may view Bridgewater as more of a game manager at quarterback. Someone who will run the offense effectively and efficiently, but who may struggle if the pieces surrounding him are suboptimal. Meanwhile, Blake Bortles is a very talented player, but the question is whether he can harness that talent and turn into a quality NFL starter. Link
Teddy Bridgewater's supporting cast last season would be the very definition of sub optimal. No Adrian Peterson. One of his favorite targets was Charles Johnson who the Vikings plucked off of the Cleveland Browns practice squad. Yet Bridgewater still excelled.

There is some consistency in how Cosell says that Bridgewater/Parker are no good at the deep passing game. He is just wrong on both counts.
and I don't see anyway Bridgewater only weighed 188 pounds last season. He is surely "sleight" but he would have been throw around like a rag doll and broken in half at that weight playing QB.
The thing that bugs me about Cosell is he seemed to like Zach Mettenberger better than Bridgewater because of size and arm strength.

That and he seems to like to talk about the Coryell offense a lot and said Mettenberger was a better fit for what Norv Turner and that type of offense does.

Norv seems to think otherwise...

The thing that bugs me about Cosell is he seemed to like Zach Mettenberger better than Bridgewater because of size and arm strength.

That and he seems to like to talk about the Coryell offense a lot and said Mettenberger was a better fit for what Norv Turner and that type of offense does.

Norv seems to think otherwise...
It would be very nice for him to explain his deep threat concerns in a bit more detail. It just doesn't make a whole lot of sense in many angles.

:shrug:

I appreciate Cosell's takes, but sometimes the guy seems to be throwing spaghetti to see if it will stick.

I have been listening to Cossell for over a decade. Obviously I wouldn't bother to criticize him if I didn't have some respect for his opinion. I do.

But there are times I think he hasn't done his due diligence and just pulls narratives out of thin air. Hot air at that.

His opinion of Parker and Bridgewater are an example of him doing that in my opinion.

I wouldn't see the flaws in what he has said and is still saying if I hadn't been following these situations so closely.

I have been listening to Cossell for over a decade. Obviously I wouldn't bother to criticize him if I didn't have some respect for his opinion. I do.

But there are times I think he hasn't done his due diligence and just pulls narratives out of thin air. Hot air at that.

His opinion of Parker and Bridgewater are an example of him doing that in my opinion.

I wouldn't see the flaws in what he has said and is still saying if I hadn't been following these situations so closely.
Cosell is an Xs and Os guy. I like what he has to say regarding that subject. Draft analysis isn't his area.

Rotoworld:

DeVante Parker - WR - Cardinals

Football Outsiders' Playmaker Score grades Louisville WR DeVante Parker as the No. 9 receiver in the class.

The system offered Bryant Johnson and Peter Warrick as similar historical prospects. "Parker has been playing college football for a full four years, and he has never topped 1,000 yards receiving," wrote FO's Nathan Forster. "It's not as if he had a weak supporting cast, either: As a junior, he had the benefit of catching passes from first-round pick Teddy Bridgewater at his pre-NFL peak. A future starting NFL wide receiver should have put up video-game-like numbers in those conditions, but Parker produced only 885 yards. Parker put up some nice per-game numbers as a senior after returning from an early injury, but if he had the talent level of a Julio Jones, he would already be in the NFL." NFL Films' Greg Cosell projects Parker as a Michael Crabtree-like "complementary" receiver in the NFL.

Source: ESPN Insider

Mar 29 - 7:51 PM

Rotoworld:

DeVante Parker - WR - Cardinals

Football Outsiders' Playmaker Score grades Louisville WR DeVante Parker as the No. 9 receiver in the class.

The system offered Bryant Johnson and Peter Warrick as similar historical prospects. "Parker has been playing college football for a full four years, and he has never topped 1,000 yards receiving," wrote FO's Nathan Forster. "It's not as if he had a weak supporting cast, either: As a junior, he had the benefit of catching passes from first-round pick Teddy Bridgewater at his pre-NFL peak. A future starting NFL wide receiver should have put up video-game-like numbers in those conditions, but Parker produced only 885 yards. Parker put up some nice per-game numbers as a senior after returning from an early injury, but if he had the talent level of a Julio Jones, he would already be in the NFL." NFL Films' Greg Cosell projects Parker as a Michael Crabtree-like "complementary" receiver in the NFL.

Mar 29 - 7:51 PM
Parker never had a 1000 yard season, but he did have 1101 yards over his last 8 games. He's also the same age that Julio was when he entered the NFL.

I wonder how Playmaker Score deals with missed games, because the 6 games that Parker played this year were plenty video-game-like. A few samples:

Parker averaged 4.3 yards per team pass attempt and 143 yards per game. He accounted for 50% of the team's passing TDs and 51% of their passing yards. He averaged 12.8 yards per target; his team averaged 6.2 YPA when not throwing to him.

Rotoworld:

Louisville WR DeVante Parker would fill a glaring need in Miami for a field stretcher, ESPN's Mel Kiper believes.
"The Dolphins have some dependable receivers in Jarvis Landry and Kenny Stills, but nobody is going to mistake either of those guys as stretch-the-field types," Kiper wrote. "The departure of Mike Wallace creates a void for a true deep threat and the type of player who can consistently win in the air on contested balls." With all of that said, the analyst believes there's a slightly less than 50 percent chance that it actually happens. "It's at least conceivable that Parker could be in play at any slot in the Nos. 9-13 range, and Miami picks at No. 14," Kiper wrote. "If he's there, I'd grab him."

Mar 31 - 7:57 PM

Rotoworld:

Louisville WR DeVante Parker would fill a glaring need in Miami for a field stretcher, ESPN's Mel Kiper believes.
"The Dolphins have some dependable receivers in Jarvis Landry and Kenny Stills, but nobody is going to mistake either of those guys as stretch-the-field types," Kiper wrote. "The departure of Mike Wallace creates a void for a true deep threat and the type of player who can consistently win in the air on contested balls." With all of that said, the analyst believes there's a slightly less than 50 percent chance that it actually happens. "It's at least conceivable that Parker could be in play at any slot in the Nos. 9-13 range, and Miami picks at No. 14," Kiper wrote. "If he's there, I'd grab him."

Yeah, Kenny Stills with a career 16.5 ypc and tied for 4th in the NFL last year with the likes of TY Hilton and DT with 6 plays of 40+ yards isn't a "stretch-the-field type" :crazy:

I actually would mistake Kenny Stills as that type.

Rotoworld:

Yeah, Kenny Stills with a career 16.5 ypc and tied for 4th in the NFL last year with the likes of TY Hilton and DT with 6 plays of 40+ yards isn't a "stretch-the-field type" :crazy:

I actually would mistake Kenny Stills as that type.
In fact prior to last season he was considered nothing but a "stretch the field type".

Rotoworld:

ESPN's Kevin Weidl compares Louisville WR DeVante Parker to A.J. Green.
"Green was a more polished route-runner and a tad bit quicker transitioning out of breaks coming out of Georgia," Weidl wrote. "However, both have long, slender and flexible frames with excellent range tracking throws, and also have the body control and leaping ability to win in contested situations." Meanwhile, based on numbers, Sharon Katz of the Stats & Information Group compares Parker to Michael Floyd, A.J. Green and Martavis Bryant. "Parker is tall (slightly under 6-3) and lean (209 pounds) with long arms and average hands; his build is most similar to Bryant's, but his athleticism most closely resembles that of Floyd and Green," she wrote. "He has good straight-line speed (4.45 40), which is within 0.05 seconds of all three players listed above, and above-average leaping ability for his size."

Apr 5 - 8:36 PM

Rotoworld:

Half of CBS Sports' draft analysts have Louisville WR DeVante Parker headed to Miami at No. 14 overall in mock drafts.
This fit is becoming one of the most popular Round 1 predictions in mock draft circles. It makes all the sense in the world: With Jarvis Landry a great slot option and Kenny Stills taking the top off of defenses, Miami only needs to find a true No. 1 WR to instantly have one of the league's most promising units. Dane Brugler and Frank Cooney both see Parker as that guy, ESPN's Mel Kiper has said Parker fits the team better than any other prospect, and Barry Jackson of the Miami Herald recently reported that the Dolphins will consider Parker and Breshad Perriman at No. 14. Of course, smoke screens are common this time of the year. Rob Rang mocks the team Dorial Green-Beckham of Oklahoma.

Source: CBS Sports
Apr 6 - 4:42 PM

Rotoworld:

Sharon Katz and John Parolin of ESPN Stats & Information compare Louisville WR DeVante Parker's draft profile to Mike Evans.
The similarities are statistical. Evans led the NFL with 18 catches of 20-plus yards last season and led the NCAA in that stat the year before at Texas A&M. Parker, meanwhile, accrued 49 percent of his receiving yards last year on passes thrown 20-plus yards. By percentage, he was the nation's best deep threat last year, better than even Ohio State’s Devin Smith. "Although Parker is shorter than Evans, he tracks deep balls and can make tough over-the-shoulder catches like Evans," wrote Katz and Parolin.

Apr 8 - 5:21 PM

Rotoworld:

DeVante Parker - WR - Player

CBS Sports' Jason La Canfora believes Louisville WR DeVante Parker could be a top-10 pick.

Parker is considered by many to be the No. 3 receiver in this class behind Amari Cooper and Kevin White, but some NFL evaluators have Parker ahead of White and not far behind Cooper. "Parker is the kind of kid who could go to the right spot and put up 1,200 receiving yards as a rookie," one personnel man said. "He's that good." The Rams and Vikings pick Nos. 10 and 11, respectively, and are said to be looking hard at Parker. At 6'3/209, he's a first-round lock.

Source: CBS Sports
Apr 10 - 12:16 PM

And to think there was a brief moment where I thought this guy was going to slip under the radar and I was going to get him late 1st round in a draft or two.

Parker seems like he lets the ball get into his body a lot to me. Those type guys sometimes have issues with drops. He does go up on high throws and snatch the ball well, just seems like regular passes get in on him.

from PFF:

DeVante Parker, Louisville

While many people see this class as a two-horse race between Cooper and Kevin White for the best prospect, we think DeVante Parker is actually the second best name available. Parker only played 359 snaps this season before injury struck (compared to over 1,000 by some receivers) and yet graded well enough in those snaps to still end up in the Top 10, in a comparable area to Jaelen Strong.

He runs extremely sharp, crisp routes, generating separation with a single step often and beating defenders with quickness they just can’t match. He showed impressive hands, snatching the ball out away from his body without thinking about it and was another receiver with impressive run-after-the-catch skills.

Signature Stat: Forced 15 missed tackles from defenders on just 43 receptions. Only 16 players in FBS notched more over the season and just four beat his mark by more than two despite the time he missed hurt.
:shock:

DeVante Parker had twice as much percentage of his receptions on passes 20+ yards than Kevin White, 27.9% vs 13.8%. But Parker is slower. And White is faster. So, White must have more upside and is a better vertical threat.

Rotoworld:

"Green was a more polished route-runner and a tad bit quicker transitioning out of breaks coming out of Georgia," Weidl wrote. "However, both have long, slender and flexible frames with excellent range tracking throws, and also have the body control and leaping ability to win in contested situations." Meanwhile, based on numbers, Sharon Katz of the Stats & Information Group compares Parker to Michael Floyd, A.J. Green and Martavis Bryant. "Parker is tall (slightly under 6-3) and lean (209 pounds) with long arms and average hands; his build is most similar to Bryant's, but his athleticism most closely resembles that of Floyd and Green," she wrote. "He has good straight-line speed (4.45 40), which is within 0.05 seconds of all three players listed above, and above-average leaping ability for his size."

"Average hands"? I read he had a grand total of three drops since 2012. Or one drop per year. So presumably with one fewer drop he'd have "good hands", two fewer drops and he'd have "excellent" hands, and three fewer drops he'd have black holes for hands.

Rotoworld:

"Average hands"? I read he had a grand total of three drops since 2012. Or one drop per year. So presumably with one fewer drop he'd have "good hands", two fewer drops and he'd have "excellent" hands, and three fewer drops he'd have black holes for hands.
They're referring to hand size since they're comparing measurables.

Rotoworld:

They're referring to hand size since they're comparing measurables.
Ah, that makes more sense..

Rotoworld:

"Multiple teams" consider Louisville WR DeVante Parker a top 10 prospect, according to Peter King.
This does not mean Parker is a lock to be selected in the top 10, however. Many, many times the board falls so that teams select a top 10 player on their board in the teens or later based on needs, fits and a number of other reasons. Parker is a great talent who has size, speed and contested catch capability.

Source: The MMQB
Apr 13 - 9:32 AM

Rotoworld:

ESPN's Todd McShay writes that Louisville WR DeVante Parker "has deceptive speed as a long strider, and consistently challenges guys vertically on tape."
"What he does best is get down the field and track the deep ball," McShay wrote. The analyst ticked off a series of teams that could use a player fitting Parker's skill set: the Jaguars, Raiders, Jets, Bears, Rams, Browns, Dolphins, Texans, Chiefs, Eagles, Panthers, Ravens, Patriots and Seahawks. NFL Films' Greg Cosell projects Parker as a Michael Crabtree-like "complementary" receiver in the NFL.

Apr 14 - 1:27 AM

Rotoworld:

ESPN's Todd McShay writes that Louisville WR DeVante Parker "has deceptive speed as a long strider, and consistently challenges guys vertically on tape."
"What he does best is get down the field and track the deep ball," McShay wrote. The analyst ticked off a series of teams that could use a player fitting Parker's skill set: the Jaguars, Raiders, Jets, Bears, Rams, Browns, Dolphins, Texans, Chiefs, Eagles, Panthers, Ravens, Patriots and Seahawks. NFL Films' Greg Cosell projects Parker as a Michael Crabtree-like "complementary" receiver in the NFL.

Apr 14 - 1:27 AM
That comment there has been worrying me. Initially I had no issues with Parker's game and felt he could be a very good NFL WR. A solid draft choice that will score me lots of point. But now I keep hearing all these "In the know sports guys" talk about how he could be a great #2 or a "Complementary" Wide-Receiver and ... I just don't know ... I am starting to second guess myself.

I look at Parker's game tapes and I see a solid player, that can get separation, that can play fast, that can make the catches and ... just what am I missing? What is it that makes some people think he will not be more than just "the other guy". Why can't he be "the" guy?

Me personally, I don't think he's anything more than a great #2 which in theory should limit the upside. He runs good routes and has quick feet which we all know by now.

To go off of the AJ Green comparisons I think it can help me make my point a little clearer. I think he's similar to AJ but he's just not THAT good. So a poor man's AJ Green is what? If you're being critical that makes Parker a skinny possession receiver, or a "go deep" only receiver. There isn't much wiggle room for him to be a good at everything type of receiver, that is if he actually is a poor man's AJ Green. That's where I land on Parker at least. I don't think he plays with much tenacity and I definitely don't think he high points as well as people say.

i like that people are doubting parker as a #1 wr. helps him possibly drop a spot or two. especially if dallas grabs a rb not named gurley or gordon.

parker doesn't need to be aj green or any version of him to be a #1 wr for a team. he can play and already ready runs pretty good routes at his current stage. as long as he can get separation he'll be targeted plenty. i don't really care much for comparisons anyway. patterson was once considered some strange formulation of combining moss, bryant and peterson...

Users who are viewing this thread