What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR DeVante Parker, Eagles. (6 Viewers)

Wow, tons of overreaction in here. First things first.

He's a rookie. He missed most of training camp with an injury. So he hasn't been able to get the reps. That's red flags everywhere for the early season. Either of those things is a problem. Both means he's been fortunate to get on the field. I wouldn't roster him in redraft at this point. Actually I had him, cut him for Dorsett, then cut Dorsett for Vjax. I'd much rather have vjax heading into the bye weeks.

Now in dynasty, he's still the second best receiver in this class. He was a tossup with Kevin White, but that with White's severe injury, Parker has sailed ahead of him by a good margin. He's a hold. I don't think he's a buy because his owner likely paid a high to mid first rounder for him. I don't think he's a sell because he hasn't even really had the opportunity to scratch the surface yet. We spent high picks on him and we haven't gotten any return on that investment yet.

I doubt another owner is going to come in and offer a guy like Matt Jones or even David Johnson for him right now (maybe Johnson) so you have to hang onto him.

I tend to think by the end of October, he'll be at least third on the depth chart and still ascending.

"It's a fact that rookies who miss training camp and aren't ready early in the season never have an impact later for redraft."

My thinking last year, before losing to the OBJ owner.

Just dropped him for Hankerson...... Ill probably regret it in a week or so but i'm hoping i can pick him back up if needed as we run FAAB.

I just feel Hankerson has more immediate upside and much clearer path to playing time.

Just dropped him for Hankerson...... Ill probably regret it in a week or so but i'm hoping i can pick him back up if needed as we run FAAB.

I just feel Hankerson has more immediate upside and much clearer path to playing time.
Yes, but Hankerson is useless outside of leagues that award points for drops.

Gonna hold until bye weeks or injuries force me to drop him. Most talented WR on the team and a desperate coaching staff still gives me hope.

http://dailydolphin.blog.palmbeachpost.com/2015/09/23/dolphins-practice-report-ryan-tannehill-devante-parker-ndamukong-suh/

...Parker progressing: Dolphins rookie receiver DeVante Parker, who played 17 snaps (a quarter of all of Miami’s offensive snaps) in Sunday’s loss to Jacksonville, said he still expects to be slowly incorporated in to the lineup.

It was a significant increase in workload for Parker — Miami’s first round draft choice — after he was on the field for just one snap in the season opener against Washington.

He’s recovering from offseason foot surgery and now finds himself playing catchup.

“I’m getting reps here and there,” he said. “The more games I play, the more reps I’ll probably get toward the end of the season.”

Parker said the surgery is no longer an issue.

“The foot feels good,” he said. “The foot is 100 percent now.”

The issue for Parker is that he’s behind Miami’s other receivers. The Dolphins have a deep group that includes Jarvis Landry, Rishard Matthews, Greg Jennings and Kenny Stills.

“We have other good players in,” Parker said. “We’re all good.

“We have a great receiving corps. It’s up to them too. I have to take what they’re doing and just use it for myself.”

Parker still expects to be the playmaking red zone threat that the Dolphins envisioned when they drafted him.

“I’m ready,” he said..

"It's a fact that rookies who miss training camp and aren't ready early in the season never have an impact later for redraft."

I feel like OBJ will do for rookies who start slow what Peterson did for guys coming off of ACL tears: Create unrealistic expectations that everyone will match their production.

That said, I'm holding Parker in my 16-teamer. I think Miami's slow start is good for him, since it raises the chances that they'll feel a need to unleash him in a couple weeks to jump-start the offense.

Just give it a few weeks, in fact to be precise give it until week 6. They did not draft this guy to toil behind used up Greg Jennings or ankle weights all season. Landry is the best receiver on the team, Parker is the best outside receiver on the team and they know this.

They should probably get him more involved now. I understand Tannehill likes to throw to Landry and Matthews but what is Jennings doing out there lol.

They should probably get him more involved now. I understand Tannehill likes to throw to Landry and Matthews but what is Jennings doing out there lol.
You don't get it do you. He basically missed all of training camp and the just about the entire pre-season and he is a rookie. He is clueless out there right now (much like Philibn). He will get limited snaps till he is up to speed.

By week 6 you should be seeing him playing plenty.

Last edited by a moderator:
Finally caught a glimpse of him yesterday. He had some redzone-goal line looks but Tannehill was off the mark with his throws, he was throwing it high but too far out of bounds where even if Parker could have caught the ball it wouldn't count.

DeVante probably is limited to a few routes/situations that they will use him because Tannenhill was finding his other WRs better so their appears to be a chemistry with Landry and others.

I think once Parker learns more of the route tree and that chemistry devopls with Tannenhill he will start breaking through but its going to take some time. It was encouraging seeing him in at the goal line and that timing/trust with Tannenhill could start clicking. And I think Parker will prove a superior athlete and a better WR by the time he establishes himself. Just not sold on Tannenhill.

Finally caught a glimpse of him yesterday. He had some redzone-goal line looks but Tannehill was off the mark with his throws, he was throwing it high but too far out of bounds where even if Parker could have caught the ball it wouldn't count.

DeVante probably is limited to a few routes/situations that they will use him because Tannenhill was finding his other WRs better so their appears to be a chemistry with Landry and others.

I think once Parker learns more of the route tree and that chemistry devopls with Tannenhill he will start breaking through but its going to take some time. It was encouraging seeing him in at the goal line and that timing/trust with Tannenhill could start clicking. And I think Parker will prove a superior athlete and a better WR by the time he establishes himself. Just not sold on Tannenhill.
It will be interesting to see how he comes on. The emergence of Rishard Matthews is the biggest obstacle going forward. I am a little worried those two might end up canceling each other out and leaving us without a reliable fantasy option.

I feel like OBJ will do for rookies who start slow what Peterson did for guys coming off of ACL tears: Create unrealistic expectations that everyone will match their production.

That said, I'm holding Parker in my 16-teamer. I think Miami's slow start is good for him, since it raises the chances that they'll feel a need to unleash him in a couple weeks to jump-start the offense.
You could use Matthews from last year for a more realistic version of the same trend. No one actually thinks Parker is going to come in with a record breaking pace once he's up to speed.

Here's a quote on Parker from Lazor today:

"Theres no doubt that he's taking a step forward in each game, his ability level has definitely started to show up on the field. The way he runs his routes is improving. The guy is getting better every single day and I expect nothing but more play, more production, and its just going to keep getting better. The guy really is talented and hes working hard to catch-up, but lets face it, he's missed a lot of time and hes catching up fast."

The audible guys have a decent theory that bye weeks tend to be good transitional times in things like this - good example was 2010 Saints, when the torch was passed from Shockey to Graham after their week 10 bye. So I'm holding through week 6 at the earliest.

So I think the numbers were 42 snaps, 7 targets, 3 catches, 46 yards, 0 TD. He has seen an increase in snaps the last 2 weeks.

And Philbin & Lazor may be in save-their-job mode. They need a playmaker.

The run game seems to be going nowhere.

Matt Harmon@MattHarmon_BYB Sep 29

to be expected, but DaVante Parker looks like Bambi on the ice running routes right now. Not sure when he'll be ready to make an impact.

So I think the numbers were 42 snaps, 7 targets, 3 catches, 46 yards, 0 TD. He has seen an increase in snaps the last 2 weeks.

Kind of hard for the running game to be effective when you don't run. They don't need a playmaker, they need to run the ball more. Tannehill isn't good enough to throw this much.

Does anyone care to comment on Parkers blocking?

I realize run-blocking is important..

However after watching some of the last GB game. It became quite important (imho) How effective a WR can block for quick pass plays..

GB lined up 3 WR's in a triangle on one side, and if the box was full?

Cobb or someone received a quick pass, w two lead blockers

I realize hes a good/great WR, but is this all around talent, or more specializing so to speak? In your opinion based on College play..

Picked him up at the end of my bench in a 12 team redraft. He might get cut before the weekend but with him just freeing up on waivers this week after someone dropped him I wanted the time to think about it.

I am still on the fence on if I feel that 2015 will be his year or if this year will slip by without him coming out and showing his true talent. I guess like most I will wait until after the bye-week and hope.

Here are all of his targets/catches from last week. It's all in garbage time but still worth looking at.
His first two routes he gets good separation on his breaks and gets open over the middle. Tannehill is getting hammered after he releases the ball on most of these passes. The Bills defense is very good.

The jump balls in the end zone he didn't really have a chance at the first one because the QB gets hit causing the throw to be high. The second one he was out of bounds.

Building trust in the QB that he will be in the right place at the right time will take time. I saw some good things on those first two routes.

Kind of hard for the running game to be effective when you don't run. They don't need a playmaker, they need to run the ball more. Tannehill isn't good enough to throw this much.
And do you really see this situation changing? Lazor and what the Phins are doing this year is perplexing. Does anyone remember when they came out at the start of last year trying to get Moreno and Miller like 35 carries? That's history. The pass/run ratio is way out of whack, I turn on a game or catch a snip of a game and they're passing.

It has to be coming soon. Not like the offense is lighting the world on fire. Maybe after Philbin and Lazor are fired.

It has to be coming soon. Not like the offense is lighting the world on fire. Maybe after Philbin and Lazor are fired.
They don't trust Tannenhill to go deep but its not just this coaching staff, the last one didn't have him go deep much either. I thought the previous OC was compensating for poor offensive line play and not wanting to get Tanny killed but it seems to be happening with this offensive coordinator as well.

What I'm getting to is... It might be more on QB Ryan Tannenhill than simply making a coaching change.

So what's the deal? Still worth holding onto him in redraft? I really think he has potential to break out, but after losing Smith, Davante Adams and Stevie Johnson to injuries, I'm not sure I have the roster spot to hold onto him..which kills me.

If the Dolphin's offense was lighting it up I'd still be in the "hold" camp for redraft. But at the moment I'd say it's unlikely any other owner in my league would pick him up, so I feel a little safer dropping him to navigate bye weeks.

So what's the deal? Still worth holding onto him in redraft? I really think he has potential to break out, but after losing Smith, Davante Adams and Stevie Johnson to injuries, I'm not sure I have the roster spot to hold onto him..which kills me.
I would cut him in a redraft if you have a better option on the WW. Miami is a mess right now, and Parker is still well behind the learning curve.

You need to hold Parker in dynasty, or look to buy him.....see if you get him at a discount. I still believe in his talent, despite the fact that it appears that Tannehill is just going to be an average NFL QB at best.

Had to drop him yesterday to pick up a backup QB (for Tannehill's bye week, LOL). I still have memories of Jordan Matthews last year, and also wondering if the team's struggles could lead them to change things up, but I know I'm mostly grasping at straws at this point. If I have an extra roster spot going forward I'll stash him, but he'll always be the first one cut if I need the space.

was about to drop him myself, but with Philbin now gone, I might be forced to hold him for another week or 2 to see if he has ANY value whatsoever.

I mean, the offense can't look worse than when Joe was there, can it?

I reallllly want to but due to injuries and byes, I only have one WR on my roster this week who's actually starting. Hopefully I can grab him again in another week or two.

The fact that he hasn't ascended the depth chart much at all is concerning. He's had a good month now.
WR isn't the same as RB. It's hard to learn how to become a NFL WR. Missing all of camp and offseason is a huge hurdle to overcome. Give it time.

Users who are viewing this thread