What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR DeVante Parker, Eagles. (1 Viewer)

Week 12 Jets 59 offensive snaps 82% 10 targets 4 receptions 80 yards 1TD

Week 13 Ravens 43 offensive snaps 90% 5 targets 3 receptions 68 yards 1TD

The Giants are the worst passing defense in the NFL. They have given up the fourth most fantasy points to QBs and the 12th most fantasy points to WR.

Jarvis Landry should play but he was limited in practice this week.

I really, really hope I'm wong, but Parker has week 14 bust written all over him. It always happens. Last year, I desperately picked up Donte Moncrief for the first week of the fantasy playoffs -- who was getting sudden hype just like Parker is now -- and he was awful that week.

I really, really hope I'm wong, but Parker has week 14 bust written all over him. It always happens. Last year, I desperately picked up Donte Moncrief for the first week of the fantasy playoffs -- who was getting sudden hype just like Parker is now -- and he was awful that week.
Do you have anything other than an unrelated player in an unrelated season burning you to suggest he's going to bust this week?

Just because you lost on a boom/bust play before doesn't mean that is the wrong play forever afterward. There is a legit scenario when a boom/bust play is the correct move, though you should not EXPECT that to work every time.

I'm starting him over Delanie Walker. The Jets have been solid all year against TEs except Gronk. Walker may do OK but I think Parker has a higher ceiling against a terrible D. Hoping the Giants try to stop Landry.

he looked like dogpoop all night. looked like he was running at half speed, routes were sloppy and he telegraphed one of his in routes because the route was so sloppy and it was almost picked. it was a miracle he held on for his 2nd catch. he needs to go watch some more tape of himself from last year because no way a guy who plays like that is the 11th pick of 1st round

Last edited by a moderator:
Guy has been in the dog house when not injured. The only reason he is out there is because Rishard Mathews is out and Greg Jennings is absolutely useless. I would be very cautious of a lot of optimism over the last 2 weeks. His TD 2 weeks ago was in garbage time IIRC, last week other than the big TD the offense was a total wreck, THill might not have even had 100 yards passing vs Baltimore but I would have to check that.

I don't think it will work out in Miami. Landry took off because he can stay healthy and has a high motor, needs no motivation and in general is smart trying to get better each week. I would say Miami blew it on draft day at this point. Parker needs an established QB and WR1 for him to have a chance.

From the game last night

D Parker WR 64 snaps 96% 5 targets 2 receptions 16 yards

K Stills WR 46 snaps 69% 3 targets 2 receptions 49 yards

J Landry WR 44 snaps 66% 18 targets 11 receptions 99 yards 1 rushing attempt 0 yards

G Jennings WR 22 33% 3 targets 2 receptions 12 yards

It seemed like Partker got some targets early on in the game but when he didn't convert on them the targets stopped. I am a bit surprised at how many more snaps he played than Landry for so few targets.

I think Tannehill and the Miami offense are collectively a mess. Watching their games can be maddening, senseless playcalling, misfires from Tanny, open receivers ignored, players who start having success just get shelved for no reason. Parker was open near the pylon with a good matchup and Tanny threw it 20 feet over his head.

smoke monster said:
I didn't see him get hardly any targets early in the game. In fact it didn't even seem like Tannehill even looked his way.

I was reading the Michael Floyd thread and thought these 2 guys are pretty similar, no? Floyd seems like a good comp. Which I think bodes well for DeVante long term. DeVante might even be better at catching the ball.

Starting off your rookie season with a foot injury has to be a huge set back for a WR. I think he's a strong hold in dynasty, or a buy if his owner is down on him. Thoughts?
He had some foot injuries in college as well I think. Landry is able to play at a high level and not be on the injury report each work. Parker seems like he will always have nagging injuries. Some guys go thru their careers and seem to stay off the always nicked up report.

I don't know how you could say Parker is better than Floyd at this stage. Even if true THill limits his long term growth. I would unload him if I had a hot buyer.

In the most recent game against the Chargers. DeVante Parker led all skill players in snaps again with 52 91% he had 6 targets 4 receptions 87 yards 21.8ypc

Last 4 weeks for Parker

59 snaps 81.9% 10 targets 4 receptions 80 yards 1TD

43 snaps 89.6% 5 targets 3 receptions 63 yards 1TD

64 snaps 95.5% 5 targets 2 receptions 16 yards

52 snaps 91% 6 targets 4 receptions 87 yards

.119 targets per snap 6.5 targets per game 3.25 receptions per game 50% catch rate 9.46 yards per target 61.5 yards per game

There were many different offensive linemen rotated in the most recent game. Starting LT Albert for example only played 12 snaps (21%) while center Pouncey played 36 (63%)

In the most recent game against the Chargers. DeVante Parker led all skill players in snaps again with 52 91% he had 6 targets 4 receptions 87 yards 21.8ypc

Last 4 weeks for Parker

.119 targets per snap 6.5 targets per game 3.25 receptions per game 50% catch rate 9.46 yards per target 61.5 yards per game

There were many different offensive linemen rotated in the most recent game. Starting LT Albert for example only played 12 snaps (21%) while center Pouncey played 36 (63%)
Nice work.

Looks like Miami is making a conscious effort at the end of the season to rest their vets allowing the rooks and younger guys to get a chance.

Could bode well for DeVante for the final two games.

Hopefully he sees more playing time and gets more opportunities because it will help him going forward into next year.

Last 4 weeks for Parker

Pouncey got hurt.

Last 4 weeks for Parker

Pouncey got hurt.
Thanks. I would assume Albert is hurt as well. 3 linemen played all 57 of Miami's offensive snaps Douglas and John were used a lot as well, I assume in part replacing Pouncey and Albert.

San Diego had 79 offensive plays and controlled the clock for 38:53 of the game limiting their offensive opportunities.

Mixed day yesterday. The intention to get him involved is real. The catch % isnt there yet.

The early pick in the end zone was intended for DP and he didnt put in outward effort. That may have been a cosmetic thing more than actual lack of effort.

Can his 2016 value crack the top 30 even if everything falls right around him in terms of coach/QB/WRs?

Mixed day yesterday. The intention to get him involved is real. The catch % isnt there yet.

The early pick in the end zone was intended for DP and he didnt put in outward effort. That may have been a cosmetic thing more than actual lack of effort.
Didn't watch the fish much this year, but does he have anything close to a full route tree yet? Or mostly just deep patterns that rely on his speed?

I read on Yahoo last night "I'll be ranking Parker a above Landry next year." Oh, please do so. One guy has a full compliment of tools, the other has speed.

LMK if I'm reading that wrong.

Didn't watch the fish much this year, but does he have anything close to a full route tree yet? Or mostly just deep patterns that rely on his speed?

I read on Yahoo last night "I'll be ranking Parker a above Landry next year." Oh, please do so. One guy has a full compliment of tools, the other has speed.

LMK if I'm reading that wrong.
Landry is quick, smart, has good hands, a ton of heart and is a terrific football player...but he is far from having a full compliment of tools. Very slow (4.7 combine speed) and small. He is a great compliment to what they hope Parker will become - a true WR1. Love Landry as a football player, but he is not nearly as physically gifted as your typical stud WR.

Landry Measureables - http://www.mockdraftable.com/player/4331/

Parker Measureables - http://www.mockdraftable.com/player/4812/

Can his 2016 value crack the top 30 even if everything falls right around him in terms of coach/QB/WRs?
My take (a non Dolphins fan but an invested Parker owner):

Landry is ranked WR13 in my league YTD, D. Parker at WR98 YTD. You also have R. Mathews in there at WR46 YTD. These are provided for pure context.

However, over the last 5 weeks, with Mathews out, Landry moved down to WR18 while Parker shot up to WR31. This was an obvious attempt to involve Parker of course, but on the bright side YTD he has the 4th highest YPR average for players with more than 20 receptions in the league at 18.5 behind Torrey Smith, Malcolm Floyd and Sammy Watkins. Over the last 5 weeks, he is ranked WR29 in total targets with 36 (Landry is WR2 with 60 over that same time span). He only caught 17 of those 36 pass attempts which is concerning, but he ranked 3rd in the league with a YPR of 19.9 for receivers with more than 15 receptions over that timespan among players like S. Watkins (22.6), DGB (20.5), D. Parker (19.9), AJ Green (19.9), Desean Jackson (19.1), ODB (19). That's a pretty good group to be among! He is ranked WR22 over that 5-week span in terms of total yards at 339 (Landry at WR7 with 434 yards) which shows that Tannehill can potentially support two top 24 WRs. And all of this 'potential' is based on yards, forgetting red zone production, which could also increase.

All of this is obviously a small sample size with only 21 receptions total on the year (44 targets), but could be seen as a hugely positive sign heading into the off season and is indicative of what was expected out of his draft profile. Tall, lanky, high spots the ball, good at fighting corners with the ball in the air and gets big yards per reception numbers - needs to build strength and route crispness but has the tools to do so. His flaws are more coaching and experience related than they are pure talent related. He has proven true to all of that so far this year. You can't teach what he is good at and you can learn what he is bad at. His foot issue that has basically cost him a full year of playing time out of the previous two years (nearly half of his senior season and half of his rookie NFL season) is hopefully behind him. With his rookie year done, a full off-season with no setbacks hopefully on the horizon (his first in two years), Rishard Mathews potentially leaving in free agency, Greg Jennings likely not coming back I would think, pushing some of the 153 total YTD targets away from Landry and shifting some of the Rishard, Jennings and Stills targets around a little, Tannehill hopefully getting an offensive minded coach (McDaniels?) and improving in his own right - then I say, yes, he can jump into the WR30 range for 2016.

That's a lot of "if's" for sure, but it has more to do with Tannehill and the systems improvement than I think it has to do with what Parker has to do. He is fully on track to deliver on his potential IMO - but is the team?

In the most recent game Parker actually had more snaps than Landy.

D Parker WR 68 snaps 94% 10 targets 4 receptions 93 yards.

Tannehill may still have issues connecting on the deeper passes, that is part of why I think they drafted Parker who is able to attack the ball at the highest point and perhaps do that well enough to make up for some of the iffy downfield targets in a way that Mike Wallace could not do.

For Bobby Layne or others looking to learn more about Parker the first few pages have some pretty detailed information about him.

I became familiar with Parker when watching Teddy Bridgewater. I think he is an excellent WR with strengths of being quick off the line and working for a clean release and very good body control to go get the ball. He also is good after the catch. The things he needs to work on are route running, getting separation and catching the ball more consistently.

I think Parker was/is the second best WR to come out of the 2015 draft and as good as Landry is I would expect Parker to overtake him as the primary WR for Miami with Landry complementing him as a possession receiver.

Biabreakable said:
I think Parker was/is the second best WR to come out of the 2015 draft and as good as Landry is I would expect Parker to overtake him as the primary WR for Miami with Landry complementing him as a possession receiver.
Just curious, you think he is better than one of Cooper or White?

Biabreakable said:
Just curious, you think he is better than one of Cooper or White?
White. Cooper was the best WR from 2015 in my opinion. White had one very good season but his high draft position is more based on upside than proven performance.

Parker was overlooked somewhat because of his injury.

Made a great grab on a deep pass too, it was underthrown but he went up and over the CB who had inside position, tipped it up and to himself for about a 40 yard catch.

bud29 said:
5-106-1. Nice :thumbup:
4-49-0 until the last six games of the season, with 0 receptions in seven of the first nine games (one DNP)

22-445-3 in the final six games. Prorated for 16 games = nearly 60-1,200-8

Once he got some traction, not too shabby production for a rookie.

For perspective, Amari Cooper, a top 4 overall pick, the consensus top rookie WR and one of the top Offensive Rookie of the Year candidates with Gurley, Winston and David Johnson, had 72-1,070-6 in 2015 (most receptions in NFL history for a WR 21 or younger?).

First in the NFL over the last 7 weeks of the season with a 20.2 AVR for receivers with 15+ receptions. Finished those 7 weeks as the WR26 in non-ppr. Very good end to the season for a rookie playing with all that turmoil down in Miami. If they can get a good coach I see him improving those TD numbers next year while only slightly dipping those AVR numbers.

DeVante Parker could be one of the 'new' young WRs who have started breaking out around the league.

The guys who got drafted from the stellar 2014 WR crop took a year before they really started to break out and blow up and so-far out of the 2015 crop its been Amari Cooper and Lockett up in Seattle for the most part before Parker finally got his shot late in the season. Look at the 2014 guys, Allen Robinson, Mike Evans, Brandin Cooks, Sammy Watkins, Landry etc. They really made big strides this year and hopefully we'll see that with DeVante Parker in 2016.

Really impressed with what I saw down the stretch in his rookie season.

Also going forward with Jarvis Landry works in his favor for the skill set he brings as a deep speed scoring threat. They fit well together.

---------------------

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/news/sports/football/parker-finishes-trying-rookie-season-on-the-upswin/npw5b/

Parker finishes trying rookie season on the upswing,,, Parker, the 14th pick of last year’s draft, endured lingering issues from offseason surgeries on his left foot. That problem, along with typical rookie struggles, hindered him from establishing a major role in the offense.

He turned a corner in late November with a breakout game of four catches for 80 yards and a score against the Jets and kept progressing. He had multiple catches in each of the final six games, totaling 445 yards and three touchdowns on 23 receptions during that run.

“I’m super excited about the future he’s going to have,” quarterback Ryan Tannehill said. “He’s going to be one of the best players in the league, and I believe that whole-heartedly. He’s just scratching the surface.

“He’s just playing bigger and bigger, and that’s what we drafted him for and that’s what we want to see out of him. He’s doing it and he’s only going to get better.”

... His most frequent target, as has been the case all year, was Jarvis Landry. He grabbed six catches for 72 yards and has more receptions through his first two seasons (194) than any player in NFL history.

With Landry proven as a go-to option and Parker potentially on the rise, the Dolphins could have a stellar receiving corps next season.“Can’t wait,” Landry said. “It’s exciting, and it’s something definitely to build on for me, him, Ryan and numerous other guys. We’re gonna have an opportunity to compete and be an elite offense in this league. With everything happening in the offseason and not knowing what’s going on, we’ve gotta come in and get together as a group and make it happen for ourselves.”

How does Gase affect this offense in terms of down the field passing and WR favoritism? I truly don't know too much about him as I didn't watch the Bears all that much.

i like this a lot for parker and landry. tannehille just needs to focus on being a leader, team player and improving his game instead of picking on practice squad players.

Bracie.. Evans went for 1051 yds / 12 TD's as a Rookie.. He finished this yr w/ 1200 yds / 3 TD's... Can you clarify his strides?

I personally believe he was closer to regressing (not based on TD production) But the fact that the actual yardage goal should be much higher, and achievable considering 1,000 in his 1st yr

How does Gase affect this offense in terms of down the field passing and WR favoritism? I truly don't know too much about him as I didn't watch the Bears all that much.
Adam Gase was the OC for the Broncos under Fox that guided by Peyton Manning was one of the most prolific passing offenses in NFL history in 2013. This offense supported Thomas, Decker, Welker and Juliuss Thomas who all had excellent seasons.

Ryan Tannehill is not Manning, but it should be a high volume passing attack, again. The offense uses a lot of WR screens and rub routes that much of the league uses right now.

Gase had Jay Cutler playing perhaps his best football this season even though his weapons were seriously diminished with the departure of Brandon Mashall, rookie White being injured all season and TE Bennett being hurt for much of the season along with Jeffrey also missing a lot of time. So watching the Bears should give some idea of the formations and types of plays they will run, the personnel does not give you an idea of the full potential of this offense due to so many of the key players being hurt and not playing.

Obviously Landry would fit into the slot or Welker role as well as being used in other ways outside. Parker would have the DT role and perhaps become the receiver with the highest number of targets if so, although it would not surprise me to see Landry lead the team in targets again.

Overall hiring Gase should be good for the Dolphins passing offense and Parkers role as the main WR in it.

Bracie.. Evans went for 1051 yds / 12 TD's as a Rookie.. He finished this yr w/ 1200 yds / 3 TD's... Can you clarify his strides?

I personally believe he was closer to regressing (not based on TD production) But the fact that the actual yardage goal should be much higher, and achievable considering 1,000 in his 1st yr
I don't think it is really fair to say Evan's regressed.

As a rookie Evans played with veteran McCown for 11 games and Mike Glennon for the other five. McCown has shown to be an alright QB performing well with the Bears in 2013 when Cutler was injured and doing pretty well with the Browns this season.

Vincent Jackson was the primary WR in Evans rookie season drawing coverage away from Evans. In 2015 Jackson only played in 10 games and was not as involved with the offense as he was the season before. He was not drawing coverage away from Evans nearly as much as 2014.

Evans volume of targets increased as did his total yards and yards/reception. TD are one of the most volatile stats around and Evan's is just another example of that.

Gase also coached Tim Tebo when they went to the playoffs and beat Pittsburgh so he not only coached Peyto to his best statistical performances he also coached Tebow to his best and he was able to handle Cutler without Brandon Marshall and Kevin White and when Alshon Jeffery was hurt much of the year.

I wasn't a fan of Tannenhill coming out and don't have a lot of confidence in him long-term but if Gase could work with Cutler and Peyton and get Tebow to the playoffs and a post season win then I feel comfortable he can do well with Tanny.

Jamies Winston was a rookie working with a second year WR. The club went with a conservative approach on offense running the ball more. No Vincent Jackson for much of the year.

Under those circumstances,1,200 receiving yards could be perceived as regressing but that is not my opinion.

------

Very interesting BR article today projecting the top-20 WRs for the year 2020.

Go to the link to see the comments.

The age listed is the age each player will be in the year 2020.

http://bleacherrepor...in-2020/page/22

B/R's NFL 20 for '20:

Projecting Top 20 Wide Receivers in 2020

By Matt Miller, NFL Draft Lead Writer

Jan 12, 2016

1. Amari Cooper (26 Years Old)

2. Odell Beckham (27 Years Old)

3. Sammy Watkins (27 Years Old)

4. DeAndre Hopkins (28 Years Old)

5. Mike Evans (27 Years Old)

6. Kevin White (28 Years Old)

7. DeVante Parker (27 Years Old)