What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR DeVante Parker, Eagles. (4 Viewers)

Me personally, I don't think he's anything more than a great #2 which in theory should limit the upside. He runs good routes and has quick feet which we all know by now.

To go off of the AJ Green comparisons I think it can help me make my point a little clearer. I think he's similar to AJ but he's just not THAT good. So a poor man's AJ Green is what? If you're being critical that makes Parker a skinny possession receiver, or a "go deep" only receiver. There isn't much wiggle room for him to be a good at everything type of receiver, that is if he actually is a poor man's AJ Green. That's where I land on Parker at least. I don't think he plays with much tenacity and I definitely don't think he high points as well as people say.
1-for-1 comps sometimes are horrible and don't paint a full picture of what a player is. Parker has some Justin Hunter, Josh Gordon, Kenny Britt, and Braylon Edwards in him with regards to abilities and movement skills. I don't really see AJ Green. If there is a player that's anywhere close to resembling AJ Green, it's Bug Howard: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pRkwzTujYd4

I don't understand how Parker's upside is limited. He had twice as much % of receptions on throws past 20 yards than White and he shows much better movement skills in his routes.

Last edited by a moderator:
I dont like 1-1 comparisons either, I was merely trying to play devils advocate with the AJ Green one and what that may mean for Parker if it were true. Although I am not as high on him as others.

Rotoworld:

DeVante Parker - WR - Player

CBS Sports' Jason La Canfora believes Louisville WR DeVante Parker could be a top-10 pick.

Parker is considered by many to be the No. 3 receiver in this class behind Amari Cooper and Kevin White, but some NFL evaluators have Parker ahead of White and not far behind Cooper. "Parker is the kind of kid who could go to the right spot and put up 1,200 receiving yards as a rookie," one personnel man said. "He's that good." The Rams and Vikings pick Nos. 10 and 11, respectively, and are said to be looking hard at Parker. At 6'3/209, he's a first-round lock.

Source: CBS Sports

Apr 10 - 12:16 PM
I don't really get why this guy is so under rated on this board. I guess people love looking at Kevin White's 4.35 or something. It keeps getting reported that multiple teams have him ahead of White, and a top 10 prospect. Yet most around here put their head in the sand and ignore it. I can see the narrative already if he goes ahead of White. Team X is just clueless.

Rotoworld:

CBS Sports' Jason La Canfora believes Louisville WR DeVante Parker could be a top-10 pick.

Parker is considered by many to be the No. 3 receiver in this class behind Amari Cooper and Kevin White, but some NFL evaluators have Parker ahead of White and not far behind Cooper. "Parker is the kind of kid who could go to the right spot and put up 1,200 receiving yards as a rookie," one personnel man said. "He's that good." The Rams and Vikings pick Nos. 10 and 11, respectively, and are said to be looking hard at Parker. At 6'3/209, he's a first-round lock.

I don't really get why this guy is so under rated on this board. I guess people love looking at Kevin White's 4.35 or something. It keeps getting reported that multiple teams have him ahead of White, and a top 10 prospect. Yet most around here put their head in the sand and ignore it. I can see the narrative already if he goes ahead of White. Team X is just clueless.
Speed kills...fantasy teams.

People get SO blindsided by the blur factor that they forget most of the best long-term performing WRs in the game aren't relying on speed

Rotoworld:

CBS Sports' Jason La Canfora believes Louisville WR DeVante Parker could be a top-10 pick.Parker is considered by many to be the No. 3 receiver in this class behind Amari Cooper and Kevin White, but some NFL evaluators have Parker ahead of White and not far behind Cooper. "Parker is the kind of kid who could go to the right spot and put up 1,200 receiving yards as a rookie," one personnel man said. "He's that good." The Rams and Vikings pick Nos. 10 and 11, respectively, and are said to be looking hard at Parker. At 6'3/209, he's a first-round lock.

In fairness to White, many were moving him way up prior to his 40 time. In general I agree that his 40 time is being blown out of proportion, though. As for Parker I don't really get it either. He's been underrated around here for 2 years. I thought he should have declared last year and would have been a first rounder then. Like I said before he's got a legit claim for the top WR in this class. I've got him at 2.

Rotoworld:

CBS Sports' Jason La Canfora believes Louisville WR DeVante Parker could be a top-10 pick.Parker is considered by many to be the No. 3 receiver in this class behind Amari Cooper and Kevin White, but some NFL evaluators have Parker ahead of White and not far behind Cooper. "Parker is the kind of kid who could go to the right spot and put up 1,200 receiving yards as a rookie," one personnel man said. "He's that good." The Rams and Vikings pick Nos. 10 and 11, respectively, and are said to be looking hard at Parker. At 6'3/209, he's a first-round lock.

In fairness to White, many were moving him way up prior to his 40 time. In general I agree that his 40 time is being blown out of proportion, though.As for Parker I don't really get it either. He's been underrated around here for 2 years. I thought he should have declared last year and would have been a first rounder then. Like I said before he's got a legit claim for the top WR in this class. I've got him at 2.
Agree, and I like White and Cooper quite a bit too. I just happen to think all three of them are going to be very, very good players. To me, NFL landing spot will determine their order. It's that close.

Guess I just prefer my WR's to not be sticks in the legs and be strong. I've since moved him up my board when I was very down on him, but I've re-watched a lot of him and now have him just behind DGB at a virtual tie for #4 WR.

Guess I just prefer my WR's to not be sticks in the legs and be strong. I've since moved him up my board when I was very down on him, but I've re-watched a lot of him and now have him just behind DGB at a virtual tie for #4 WR.
Who is your #3? Just curious.

Guess I should have clarified. I have Cooper/White/DGB at 123 and Parker tied at 4th with Agholor who virtually the same guy, except better routes, tough kid, and return ability.

Rotoworld:

DeVante Parker - WR - Cardinals

Two of four CBS draft analysts mock Louisville WR DeVante Parker to the Vikings at No. 11 overall, and colleague Frank Cooney calls Parker the best fit in the draft for the Purple.

"Not only does he already have an established connection with Teddy Bridgewater, but Parker has legitimate No. 1 ability, in the mold of A.J. Green," Cooney wrote. "Norv Turner's offense and Bridgewater would substantially benefit with a talent like Parker at their disposal." Dane Brugler was one of the analysts mocking Parker to Minny, writing: "Minnesota added Mike Wallace to the wide receiver depth chart, but the Vikings are still in search of a No. 1 caliber pass catcher. Parker has the talent to fill that need." Interestingly, the two dissenting voices -- Pete Prisco and Rob Rang -- both have Minnesota taking MSU CB Trae Waynes.

Apr 16 - 6:44 PM

Rotoworld:

The Miami Herald's Armando Salguero "keep(s) hearing" Louisville WR DeVante Parker won't last until the Dolphins pick at No. 14 overall.
Despite lacking a third-round pick, the Dolphins are believed to be interested in trading up for a wide receiver. Amari Cooper and Kevin White should be off the board in the top ten, making Parker the most realistic target at 14. Salguero reports the Rams at No. 10 and Vikings at No. 11 are significant obstacles standing in the way of Parker lasting until the Dolphins' pick.

Related: Dolphins

Source: Armando Salguero on Twitter
Apr 17 - 1:41 PM

Guess I should have clarified. I have Cooper/White/DGB at 123 and Parker tied at 4th with Agholor who virtually the same guy, except better routes, tough kid, and return ability.
I don't mind you having a different opinion. Obviously, that's just fine. I'm curious if the NFL draft would change your mind though. Right now Walter football has DeVante Parker being taken as the 3rd WR and 14th overall. Most people seem to project him between 10-14. Walter football also has DGB as the 8th WR off the board at pick 41, and Agholor as the 9th at pick 43. If something similar to that happens, do you stick to your guns on this?

I don't mind you having a different opinion. Obviously, that's just fine. I'm curious if the NFL draft would change your mind though. Right now Walter football has DeVante Parker being taken as the 3rd WR and 14th overall. Most people seem to project him between 10-14. Walter football also has DGB as the 8th WR off the board at pick 41, and Agholor as the 9th at pick 43. If something similar to that happens, do you stick to your guns on this?
My mind is made up on how the players play and my views on them so that part won't change. But the NFL draft is kind of "the last piece of the puzzle" to figure it all out. My guess is Parker goes about 20-30 picks before Agholor so I would stupid not to "break the tie" and put Parker above. As for DGB, he's too much of an interesting case to know for sure. If he falls to the 2nd, then I think I'd end up putting Parker AND Agholor above him, but if NFL teams are comfortable with his issues and take him top20 lets say, then I'd have a personal fight in my mind about Parker vs. DGB for my #3. I think Agholor is worthy of a 1st round pick too and if that happens too there's a lot to figure out

My rankings are just based on the information we have right now. I really like Agholor as a player, but we just don't have all the information yet. There are just too many scenario's for me to go through to know where X guy will be on my board if Z happens.

Rotoworld:

NFLDraftScout.com's Frank Cooney writes that if you "can't get [Amari] Cooper or [Kevin] White, then [Louisville WR DeVante Parker] is a damned good consolation prize."

"Parker's wingspan offers a target 80 inches across with big, soft hands to finish the job," Cooney wrote. "Wait, there's more. Scouts say he is still refining his craft as a route-runner and his tough-minded approach should help jump-start his pro career. Although Parker does not explode off the line, his long-striding style makes him deceptively fast at top speed." When asked to describe his game, Parker replied: "I'm a big, physical kind of player. I go up and get the ball. I go in the middle. Anywhere, I go and get it." Concluded Cooney: "In most drafts, Parker would be the best wide receiver."

Apr 17 - 7:40 PM

Rotoworld:

But white killed it at the underwear Olympics. Has better bmi too. Did you see whites package he was sporting during the stripped weigh in? Impressive!

Parker visited the Saints, as did Dorsett. I still like Parker landing in NO if he is still there at 13. The need is there (Toon, Coleman, Jones, Tanner, Morgan would be competing for WR3-4) and I don't believe Payton is abandoning the team's offensive identity one bit. I'm just not seeing him get past MIN.

Rotoworld:

A football analytics director agreed with Football Outsiders' Playmaker Score projection that Louisville WR DeVante Parker should have been more productive in college.

The Football Outsiders' projection was rather damning, grading Parker No. 9 amongst receivers and comparing him to busts Bryant Johnson and Peter Warrick. Parker had no 1,000-yard seasons at Louisville, though, to be fair, he had 855 yards last year in roughly half a season. "It is hard to see him living up to this rating," the director said, referencing Mel Kiper's No. 9 overall grade.

Source: ESPN Insider

Apr 21 - 7:23 PM

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll take Parker over Cooper and White.
2015 NFL Draft buzz: Worries over edge rushers; Parker next-best WR?

Excerpt:

Keep hearing from evaluators who know what they hell they are doing that DeVante Parker is the second-best receiver in the draft, and some think the gap between him and Amari Cooper isn't exactly massive. Not saying he is the second one taken -- Kevin White's measurables probably still make him second to Cooper, but could be more interesting than some think.

Rotoworld:

FOX Sports' Alex Marvez is "hearing some buzz" about the Dolphins' interest in Louisville WR DeVante Parker.

The Dolphins have been heavily connected to the 6-foot-3 pass catcher, but Parker may not fall to No. 14 overall. CBS' Jason La Canfora has called the Rams at No. 10 a "natural" trade match. The Dolphins could use a bigger wideout to complement Jarvis Landry (6'0/205) and Kenny Stills (6'1/194).

Source: Alex Marvez on Twitter
Apr 30 - 2:12 PM

Faust said:
Rotoworld:

FOX Sports' Alex Marvez is "hearing some buzz" about the Dolphins' interest in Louisville WR DeVante Parker.

The Dolphins have been heavily connected to the 6-foot-3 pass catcher, but Parker may not fall to No. 14 overall. CBS' Jason La Canfora has called the Rams at No. 10 a "natural" trade match. The Dolphins could use a bigger wideout to complement Jarvis Landry (6'0/205) and Kenny Stills (6'1/194).

Source: Alex Marvez on Twitter
Apr 30 - 2:12 PM
I hope so. I think SF would be a bad landing spot for him.

So not a bad landing spot, esp considering some of the alternatives such as cleveland or st. louis.

There goes all the Landry and Stills hype.
Disagree. Still think Landry will be a good PPR start. Tannehill is best on the short to intermediate throws. That's where Landry excels. Tannehill threw it 590 times last year, (9th) and completed 66% of his passes. Plenty of targets to support Parker, Landry and Cameron. I think Stills is going to be much more hit or miss.

As for Parker landing in Miami, it's a reasonably good landing spot. Tannehill has never had a WR like this. Parker has a catch radius that could really help Tannehill on down the field throws.

As a side note, the Dolphins are putting together quite a bit of talent around Tannehill. Could be a pretty good aerial offense in 2015.

There goes all the Landry and Stills hype.
Disagree. Still think Landry will be a good PPR start. Tannehill is best on the short to intermediate throws. That's where Landry excels. Tannehill threw it 590 times last year, (9th) and completed 66% of his passes. Plenty of targets to support Parker, Landry and Cameron. I think Stills is going to be much more hit or miss.

As for Parker landing in Miami, it's a reasonably good landing spot. Tannehill has never had a WR like this. Parker has a catch radius that could really help Tannehill on down the field throws.

As a side note, the Dolphins are putting together quite a bit of talent around Tannehill. Could be a pretty good aerial offense in 2015.
Last year's targets:

Wallace - 115 (hard to say but Parker could have nearly this many)

Landry - 112 (could have a little more or a little less)

Clay - 84 (Clay had this in 14 games, Cameron should have as many if he stays healthy)

Hartline - 39 (Stills should have at least this many)

Gibson - 29 (Jennings should have at least this many)

Not exactly a ringing endorsement here...

I still like Landry better than Parker this year, but it will be close. Parker projects as a No. 3 Fantasy receiver since the Dolphins will spread the ball around, and he's worth drafting with a mid-round pick in re-draft leagues. In dynasty formats, Parker is a late first-round pick.

Not exactly a ringing endorsement here...

I still like Landry better than Parker this year, but it will be close. Parker projects as a No. 3 Fantasy receiver since the Dolphins will spread the ball around, and he's worth drafting with a mid-round pick in re-draft leagues. In dynasty formats, Parker is a late first-round pick.
Who is that guy? Why does his opinion matter?

So stumped on Parker vs. White, personally. This is gonna be a tough call.
If I had to pick I'd probably go with Parker, but I don't think there's really a "wrong answer" between those two. Had Parker played all of his games last season, I think he'd be the consensus 2nd WR in this class.

Rotoworld:

DeVante Parker is expected to battle Greg Jennings for a starting spot.

It's a competition Parker shouldn't have any problems winning even though Jennings was just given an $8 million contract. Jennings is a smallish 6'0/195 and slow-footed as he enters his age-32 season. Parker, the No. 14 overall pick, is 6'3/209 with long arms and strong hands. Expect the rookie to line up with slot man Jarvis Landry and burner Kenny Stills in the Dolphins' preferred three-wide sets.

Related: Mike Wallace

Source: ESPN.com
May 4 - 10:59 AM

Blocking is not really a strength for Parker. He will need to really work on that. Jennings improved but other WR on the Vikings generally did a better job of blocking than he did with them recently.

I think Parker is going to really elevate Tannehills game because of his jump skills, hands and run after the catch. I expect him to lead the Dolphins in targets at least by 2016 with a good chance of doing that as a rookie.

Parker being the primary target hurts Landry's upside for targets and therefore I don't really expect him to break out of WR3 level performance anymore. I thought he could have as the primary target.

I didn't really expect the Dolphins to draft another WR but I can't argue with the value of getting Parker at pick 14. I wonder if he would have been gone by then if they still would have drafted a WR?

http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/nfl/miami-dolphins/article20383608.html

And he’s such a homebody that the coveted wide receiver left a three-inch stack of recruiting letters from Alabama coach Nick Saban unopened because he had no interest in leaving Louisville.

Said general manager Dennis Hickey: “We talked to coaches who were at Louisville and formerly at Louisville. They just raved about DeVante’s competitiveness, his love for the game, his passion, his dedication for it.”
I guess the Browns spoke to the wrong people on Parker.

Users who are viewing this thread