What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR DeVante Parker, Eagles. (3 Viewers)

Feeling really good about basically trading

Dorsett and Trent Richardson for Abdullah

then

Abdullah and Terrance West for Parker and a 2nd rounder.

As a Vikings fan, still lamenting the fact the Vikes didn't take him. Think this kid is going to be very good, quite possibly the best WR of this class in a few years.

Grabbed him in our rookie draft tonight at 1.05. Debated him or Agholor since we are near philly and guys pay a premium for Eagles. Had to go with the talent over the opportunity.

Grabbed him in our rookie draft tonight at 1.05. Debated him or Agholor since we are near philly and guys pay a premium for Eagles. Had to go with the talent over the opportunity.
Likely Miami's WR1 from the get go, I'd say Parker's opportunity is pretty damn good as well.

Why would other people paying premium for Eagles affect your decision? Unless you have 1.07 also and think Parker might have been there I can't see why how other people draft affect who you take.

Why would other people paying premium for Eagles affect your decision? Unless you have 1.07 also and think Parker might have been there I can't see why how other people draft affect who you take.
I'm assuming his line of thought is that if Agholor shows anything those Eagles fans will way overpay to pry him away.

I'm assuming his line of thought is that if Agholor shows anything those Eagles fans will way overpay to pry him away.
I think people are really discounting Jordan Mathews here and the fact the eagles want to run the ball a ton.

FreeBaGeL said:
Hankmoody said:
jmo87usc said:
Yes. This is exactly my line of thinking. My apologies if that wasn't clear. I knew the guy drafting at 1.06 was a huge eagles fan and wanted agholor but didn't want to chance being wrong and losing Parker so I didn't even try to trade down a spot.

Also I should have stated that agholor seems to have more immediate opportunity as opposed to opportunity in general. I know Parker was drafted to be their top wr eventually. Just lots of mouths to feed.

I don't think it's going to matter. Are Landry, Jennings, and Stills better than Sanu, Jones, and Moore? Not really. I think Parker is the kind of talent where you say, ok yeah he's our best guy and it's not close. Feed that man. For example if he gets drafted onto the Packers, he's cutting into Jordy and Cobb immediately. If he goes to Indy, he's the #1 before November. He's that good. With great players, it doesn't make much different who else is there. They just command the ball.

FreeBaGeL said:
Hankmoody said:
jmo87usc said:
Yes. This is exactly my line of thinking. My apologies if that wasn't clear. I knew the guy drafting at 1.06 was a huge eagles fan and wanted agholor but didn't want to chance being wrong and losing Parker so I didn't even try to trade down a spot. Also I should have stated that agholor seems to have more immediate opportunity as opposed to opportunity in general. I know Parker was drafted to be their top wr eventually. Just lots of mouths to feed.
Mathews and murray is a much bigger mouth to feed over miller, stills and landry. Plus Miami has the better qb while philly wants to run the ball most of the game.

FreeBaGeL said:
Hankmoody said:
jmo87usc said:
Yes. This is exactly my line of thinking. My apologies if that wasn't clear. I knew the guy drafting at 1.06 was a huge eagles fan and wanted agholor but didn't want to chance being wrong and losing Parker so I didn't even try to trade down a spot. Also I should have stated that agholor seems to have more immediate opportunity as opposed to opportunity in general. I know Parker was drafted to be their top wr eventually. Just lots of mouths to feed.
Mathews and murray is a much bigger mouth to feed over miller, stills and landry. Plus Miami has the better qb while philly wants to run the ball most of the game.
I'm glad you guys feel that way about Parker. I certainly wouldn't mind instant production from him.

[SIZE=14pt]Miami Dolphins Announcement on DeVante Parker[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10pt]MIAMI, FL [/SIZE][SIZE=10pt]– The Miami Dolphins today announced wide receiver DeVante Parker underwent successful surgery on his foot this morning at Doctors Hospital at Baptist Health South Florida in Coral Gables.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]Parker was Miami’s first-round selection (14th overall) in the 2015 NFL draft out of Louisville. He played in 42 career games with 18 starts while with the Cardinals and recorded 156 receptions for 2,775 yards (17.8 avg.) and 33 touchdowns. His 33 touchdowns tied a school record and he earned second-team All-ACC honors as a senior in 2014 despite playing in only six games. That season, he tallied 43 receptions for 855 yards (19.9 avg.) and five touchdowns. Born January 20, 1993, Parker attended Ballard High School in Louisville, Ky.[/SIZE]

Replaced the screw that was already in his foot after experiencing pain in it.

Sorry, this is a MAJOR turnoff for me

Surgery For DeVante Parker

Miami Dolphins wide receiver DeVante Parker had left foot surgery this morning at Doctor's Hospital in Coral Gables.

He will not participate in the team's minicamp but will be ready for the start of the regular season, per a team source. So breathe. Calm down. It will be OK.

Parker, the first-round pick in the 2015 draft, had the procedure as a precaution. I am told if this was the regular season, he would be playing this week.

But because Parker has been so impressive since joining the team and the plan with him is to be a long-term help rather than a short-term bridge, the club is being cautious to address what I am told is not a big issue now so as to not affect the season.

Obviously, Parker missing the rest of the offseason will set him back a bit on the field. He will, however, be involved in rehabilitation and team meetings.

This means veteran Greg Jennings, signed late in free agency, will likely play a major role in the offense, along with Jarvis Landry and Kenny Stills early in the season as Parker works in.

Two more things:

Parker's injury is similar to the injury linebacker Jelani Jenkins had last year. He missed one game as a result.

And Parker did break his left foot in 2014 while at Louisville, forcing him to miss about half the season. He had surgery on that foot and now has had a second surgery on the foot.
Posted by Armando Salguero 06/05/2015 at 10:27 AM

Last edited by a moderator:
Well... if you havent had your draft yet, odds are you might get him a lot later than usual. maybe even end of rnd 1.

that foot tho... already recurring and hasnt even stepped on an nfl field. woof.

http://miamiherald.typepad.com/dolphins_in_depth/

1. He didn't re-injure himself. This is to go in and reinforce the screw from the first surgery.
  2. "He will not participate in the team's minicamp and will miss the start of training camp but will be ready for the start of the regular season, per a team source. So breathe. Calm down. It will be OK."
  3. "had the procedure as a precaution. I am told if this was the regular season, he would be playing this week"
  4. "Parker's injury is similar to the injury linebacker Jelani Jenkins had last year, per a source. Jenkins missed one game as a result"

Has an Odell Beckum feel to it. Opportunity to snag him late in the first round since he will be devalued by many, but the talent and opportunity is still obvious. Peeps sitting at 1.10-1.12 right now should be loving this.

Ended up with zero shares in Parker. Didn't see the big upside in his game, so was really not in the loop when it came to this foot thing. Did most folks who drafted him at 1.5/1.6 know this was happening?

Soulfly3 said:
Replaced the screw that was already in his foot after experiencing pain in it.

Sorry, this is a MAJOR turnoff for me
Why so? Dude tore up FSU while is foot was still in pain. I'll take a guy that can play through pain and still perform at a high level any day. Just imagine when he's 100%.

JPeso said:
Ended up with zero shares in Parker. Didn't see the big upside in his game, so was really not in the loop when it came to this foot thing.

Did most folks who drafted him at 1.5/1.6 know this was happening?
I can't speak for the folks that drafted him as in the drafts that I had a 1st round pick it was after 1.05 and he always gone by the time I picked.

However, my perception is that this information was out there, common knowledge to an extent, and not considered a major concern to draft experts/rookie scouts.

JPeso said:
Ended up with zero shares in Parker. Didn't see the big upside in his game, so was really not in the loop when it came to this foot thing.

I can't speak for the folks that drafted him as in the drafts that I had a 1st round pick it was after 1.05 and he always gone by the time I picked.

However, my perception is that this information was out there, common knowledge to an extent, and not considered a major concern to draft experts/rookie scouts.
I don't think most people drafting him at 1.5/1.6 were expecting him to have surgery in June.

JPeso said:
Ended up with zero shares in Parker. Didn't see the big upside in his game, so was really not in the loop when it came to this foot thing. Did most folks who drafted him at 1.5/1.6 know this was happening?
I drafted him at 1.05. I knew he had the foot injury, but there was nothing on any lingering issues from it. He can obviously overcome it, but it would have been enough for me to take Agholor instead or trade down.

ETA- The issue I have with it is that it may turn into a lingering every year thing where he misses a handful of games each year. I just hate dealing with that kind of stuff. Even if he puts up WR1 numbers when healthy, I'd rather avoid the headache of constantly watching his news feed wondering if its ok to start him.

JPeso said:

I don't think most people drafting him at 1.5/1.6 were expecting him to have surgery in June.
That's correct. Everyone knew about the screw. It's less than ideal that it needed some cleanup, and that he'll miss part of TC.

I ended up trading out of the 5th pick where I was going to draft him, and felt a little bad afterward. Maybe I can use this as a chance to buy back in.

Julio injured his during the combine, than reinjured it a few years later in-season. I think they replaced the original screw with a bigger one to stabilize the area, and he hasn't had a recurrence since.

Jones is still some pretty hot property, it hasn't seemed to impact his dynasty ranking.

Julio injured his during the combine, than reinjured it a few years later in-season. I think they replaced the original screw with a bigger one to stabilize the area, and he hasn't had a recurrence since.

Jones is still some pretty hot property, it hasn't seemed to impact his dynasty ranking.
With all due respect, foot problems is one of the only things Parker and Julio have in common. Different plane of athletic ability thus owners will accept a hell of a lot more potential risk on a guy like Julio (or DT before that with the Achilles) than Parker.

He dropped to 1.12 in my most rookie draft(first round was over well before this news came out)

I have gotten him at 1.5 and 1.7...and then above, traded back up to snag him at 1.12.

If nothing else, he is a better buy low now.

Rotoworld:

According to the agent for DeVante Parker, "it's hopeful" that Parker will be back for Week 1 following Friday's foot surgery.

After suffering a foot fracture in 2014, Parker reportedly began experiencing further soreness in his foot while running routes during Thursday's OTA practice. Doctors examined the foot, and determined Parker needed a new screw. According to FOX Sports' Alex Marvez, Parker "should be able to return at some point during training camp, but the exact date is still up in the air."

Source: FOX Sports
Jun 5 - 1:17 PM

With all due respect, foot problems is one of the only things Parker and Julio have in common. Different plane of athletic ability thus owners will accept a hell of a lot more potential risk on a guy like Julio (or DT before that with the Achilles) than Parker.
I'm aware of how good Jones is, but you could be underrating Parker. Scouts have compared his physical and athletic tools, skill set and game to A.J. Green, who was taken ahead of Jones. Also to Jeffery, one of the better young WRs in the game. They are the same height. Jones is 10 lbs. heavier. Jones ran about a 4.4. Parker ran a 4.45. Jones had a 38.5" VJ, Parker 36.5" VJ. Jones was the second WR drafted in his class, at 1.6. Parker the third WR drafted at 1.14 (though I don't think it would have been a shock if the Rams had taken him at 1.10, some of the year-to-year differences in classes could be flukey and happenstance).

Jones is one of the top WRs in dynasty rankings NOW, but at a comparable stage of development, I don't think he was the #2 or #3 WR as a rookie, like Parker is now.

I wasn't implying Parker is as valuable as Jones. Just that whatever Parker's dynasty value turns out to be, it may remain similar, if he doesn't aggravate it. Jones had his first injury in 2011, and aggravated it in 2013, so we are talking four and two years ago. Parker was injured in 2014, not sure if he aggravated it, but a second procedure was done in 2015. So we may have to wait a few years to see how similar or different their future dynasty valuation is, if it suffers from this injury at all, and if so, by how much. Since Parker hasn't played a down in the NFL yet, it is hard to say definitively from this vantage point how he will compare to Jones, as a pro?

* Not too many people predicted three rookie WRs would have 1,000+ receiving yards in 2014 (and Watkins didn't miss by much), or that OBJ might have one of the greatest rookie seasons ever at any position.

** Jones is listed with a 11'3" broad jump and 6.66 3-Cone drill time. Those are pretty insane if true (I remember Jones injured his foot at the combine after the 40 time, not sure if he did the other drills?). I see no 3-Cone time for Parker, but concede that would be tough to not only best, but even come close to. And Jones would have jumped 10" more, which is evidence of a different level of explosiveness, not just with Parker, but nearly all WRs (I think Calvin and Jamie Collins shared the old record at 11'7", before DAL DB Byron Jones broke the combine and world record with over 12'. I just think if Parker does well stats-wise in the next few years, similar to Jones, for instance, at comparable stages of development, they probably won't ding his dynasty value much relative to Jones, because his broad jump and 3-Cone drill time suffer in the comparison?

Finally a price I'm comfortable with Parker at. Late 1st and I'm sold, if he still falls to me. Also another "excuse" for me to take Agholor above Parker.

I ended up trading Parker for alf Morris, donte Moncrief and a late 2016 1. I really like Parkers talent and am not real worried about the screw in the foot. But I have held guys in this situation and can't rest easy always watching the news feed making sure nothing new has popped up. I have a serious fear of being stuck with the guy who's career ends way too early and losing all value. I think it comes from being terrible at musical chairs as a kid or something. I'd rather get as much value now before it's too late. Only problem is I miss out on the stud wr if he turns out to be the next Julio. The chance I'm willing to take even though it's probably not wise.

Rotoworld:

Ryan Tannehill recently noted that first-round pick DeVante Parker was working on "cleaning up his route running" before Friday's foot surgery.

Raw route running was also a knock on Parker before the draft. He won't be able to iron out the kinks while missing all of OTA and minicamp season, and probably most of training camp. The Miami Herald considers Parker "far less likely" to earn a starting job in Week 1 if he barely gets on the field this preseason. Parker is best viewed as a late-round flyer in re-draft leagues.

Source: Miami Herald
Jun 6 - 1:05 AM

For what it is worth, Louis Riddick, who seems like a straight shooter (former scout? did a great job on the televised draft coverage for ESPN as a last second replacement for Ray Lewis, who remained in Baltimore due to the rioting) didn't sound like the Dolphins were overly concerned with the injury.

So what. He's a rookie. I'm thinking Greg Jennings has some early season value but thinking from a dynasty perspective his value doesn't change one bit.

Sabertooth said:
So what. He's a rookie. I'm thinking Greg Jennings has some early season value but thinking from a dynasty perspective his value doesn't change one bit.
Jennings is one of the best value WRs right now, imo. I've nabbed him in round 16 in 2 MFL10 drafts so far. I think he's severely undervalued. He's basically a lock for 800/6 with potential for another 400 yards or so. He's played with crap at QB since leaving GB and will play this season as a 32 year old with the best QB he's had since Rodgers. 32 years old for a WR is not old. He knows the system and I really seeing him as the #1overall in MIA this season.

Rotoworld:

Dolphins VP of football operations Mike Tannenbaum said Devante Parker (foot surgery) should be ready for Week 1.

Parker was given an 8-12 week timetable, putting him on track for the start of the season if he avoids setbacks. The Dolphins are hoping Parker can resume practicing late in camp. Parker was the favorite to start at X receiver prior to going down, but will be behind Greg Jennings and Kenny Stills when he returns.

Source: Miami Herald
Jun 13 - 8:04 PM

Users who are viewing this thread