What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Tevin Coleman, SF (3 Viewers)

jumper

Footballguy
Queueing this thread up because there seems to be very little buzz about this guy and I don't understand why. In the recent Shark Pool mock draft (http://forums.footballguys.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=724504) he was the 6th RB taken and that wasn't until late in the 3rd round. And he could have fallen way further since the team who selected him had originally picked someone else drafted earlier by another team and Coleman was his after-the-fact correction pick. So what gives? Yeah, I understand he had some kind of foot surgery in January, but a torn ACL didn't stop Gurley from being a near universal 1st round pick and top RB on people's boards. Meanwhile Coleman had crazy good stats (2014: 270 for 2,036 with 15TD). Dude is averaging 7.5 YPC for the season (better than Gurley), does well in the passing game, and gets comps of a cross between DeMarco Murray and Darren McFadden.

Indiana Feb 11 - 3:14 PM RB Tevin Coleman has "the burst and top-end speed to be a game-changing running back," according to NFL Media draft analyst Lance Zierlein. "Hits top speed so quickly that safeties and linebackers repeatedly take poor angles, leading to long touchdowns. ... Has the burst and top-end speed to be a game-changing running back for a team looking for a workhorse," Zierlein wrote. The Hoosiers prospect could fit the role of a three-down back at the next level. Coleman rushed for 270 times for 2,036 yards and 15 touchdowns last season, and possesses the kind of home-run speed to take it the distance from anywhere on the field
Jan 5 - 3:25 PM Indiana junior RB Tevin Coleman had surgery on his toe and foot in December, reports TFY Draft Insider's Tony Pauline.
"Once again sources I’ve spoken with question whether Coleman will be ready to workout at the combine," the analyst added, echoing a report he filed last week. While it would be nice for the 6-foot-1, 210-pound Coleman to blow away evaluators with his speed at the combine, they've probably seen all they need to in order to make an informed decision. Coleman rushed for 2,036 yards and 15 touchdowns this season, becoming the 18th FBS player to rush for 2,000 yards. CBS Sports' Dane Brugler believes Coleman looks like a combination of DeMarco Murray and Darren McFadden, "with his NFL projection landing somewhere in between those two backs."

Last edited by a moderator:
And he could have fallen way further since the team who selected him had originally picked someone else drafted earlier by another team and Coleman was his after-the-fact correction pick.
So what you're saying is if there were two of the player the team originally selected he could have fallen way further? :shrug:

I like Coleman a lot, better than all but Gurley right now. I watched every Ohio State game this year and Coleman tore up OSU a week before OSU completely shut down Gordon. And yes, that's the extent of my scouting on him right now, but it was enough.

I've heard people who love him and people who hate. Based on the eye ball test, I like him, but will need to do more research before April comes.

In the two games that I watched (Indiana St and Ohio St) he looked like a 3rd round back.

He is a snaking runner with long speed. Does better on stretch plays and can worm his way through the line. Mostly picks the right lane on scrape reads.

Why he is a 3rd rounder. *Kind in might a 3rd round RB is a pretty elite prospect*

Will bend at the waist when he feels congested contact coming. Is too easily tackled, at times, by the legs. Lacks elite leg drive. Will occasionally miss open lanes. Rarely, punishes defenders.

Basically, he's dropping a bit because of interior running. The NFL isn't going to allow him the lanes he has seen in college and most backs are going to be required to get those hard grinding yards. I'd move up if I knew he was working on it and if I was on a team with a meaner personality.

Grimace59 said:
I've heard people who love him and people who hate. Based on the eye ball test, I like him, but will need to do more research before April comes.
I read this somewhere - Half of his 28 career rushing touchdowns were of 43-plus yards, including eight of 64-plus yards.

He runs so violently and his pad level is too high. I worry about future injuries. You have to love his big play potential however.

Being a Big Ten watcher, I saw a bit of Tevin. Guy can run! I mean, if anything, he did unbelievable... for Indiana, folks! Yes, the same, crappy Hoosiers that are the butt-end of the Big Ten every year!

In December, Jeff Risdon did a mock where Coleman went in the first round to Seattle at 28 - behind Gurley but ahead of Gordon. I went back and watched a couple of his games. He is a tougher inside runner than I was lead to believe by his scouting reports.

Rotoworld:

Indiana RB Tevin Coleman (foot) "is jockeying for position in a deep running back class and can help secure a spot on Day 2 if he's able to perform well in front of evaluators in April," wrote Scouts Inc.'s Kevin Weidl.

Coleman, who had surgery on his toe and foot in December, is holding his own pro day separate from the school on April 15. "[Coleman] lacks ideal power in between the tackles but has above-average vision and flashes good acceleration out of cuts," Weidl wrote. "He also has an extra gear to finish when reaching the open field." The analyst believes scouts are particularly interested in Coleman's 10-yard split, 40-yard dash, and jumps to "measure if the numbers match the explosiveness he shows on his tape."

Source: ESPN Insider
Mar 3 - 9:25 PM

Rotoworld:

TFY Draft Insider Tony Pauline reports that Indiana RB Tevin Coleman has a workout date on April 15th.
Unfortunately for Coleman, a foot injury has kept him out of action, ever since he had surgery on his toe and foot in December. The Indiana prospect still has a shot to be the third RB taken off the board, behind Melvin Gordon III and Todd Gurley. While some evaluators knock him for his upright running style, Coleman has deceptive speed and is a true home-run hitter in every sense of the word.

Source: Tony Pauline on Twitter
Mar 4 - 3:28 PM

Rotoworld:

CBS Sports' Dane Brugler believes Indiana RB Tevin Coleman in the second-round is an option to replace Demarco Murray in Dallas.
Brugler also mentioned David Cobb, Buck Allen and David Johnson as options. Coleman has a "DeMarco Murrayish skill-set," in Brugler's words. Dallas' line creates a lot of yards on their own, but it is difficult to find a back who can consistently create on their own. We do not like Tevin Coleman in the second-round, but many teams could disagree.

Source: Dane Brugler on Twitter
Mar 12 - 1:57 PM

Rotoworld:

NFL Media notes that Indiana RB Tevin Coleman is an intriguing second-round option to replace Demarco Murray in Dallas.
CBS Sports' Dane Brugler wrote essentially the same thing earlier in the day. The dots connect. If Dallas doesn't sign a starting RB in free agency, and both Todd Gurley and Melvin Gordon are gone by the time they pick at the end of the first round, Coleman will be extremely attractive at the No. 60 pick -- assuming he gets there. Most rank Coleman somewhere between the No. 3-5 prospect at his position, but former NFL executive Greg Gabriel believes he's the best.

Source: NFL.com
Mar 12 - 8:10 PM

Rotoworld:

Tevin Coleman - RB - Hoosiers

Indiana RB Tevin Coleman finished No. 1 in the nation with 10 rushing touchdowns of 25 yards or longer last season.

"Coleman's average rushing touchdown yardage this past season was more than 40 yards," noted ESPN's Sharon Katz. It's a ludicrous stat, and speaks to Coleman's breakaway speed. As Katz notes, he isn't a one-trick pony. Coleman finished No. 4 in the country behind only Todd Gurley, Nick Chubb and Josh Robinson with a 3.2 yards-after-contact average. Coleman is a second-round prospect.

Source: ESPN Insider

Mar 13 - 9:11 PM

The thing that keeping Coleman under the radar is the NFL player comparison to Darren McFadden - thank you Zierlein and Mayock. The 3.2 yards after contact however tells another story. It is probably to much to hope for that I can get him as the 10th pick in the rookie draft after the real NFL draft takes place.

Rotoworld:

Indiana RB Tevin Coleman will visit the Ravens, Panthers and Cardinals, according to Aaron Wilson.
This is in addition to Coleman already visiting the Lions. These visits might be influenced by Coleman's foot surgery he underwent just before the Combine. Teams want an updated medical check, which they will also get on a second visit to Indianapolis. Obviously many like Coleman's talents, but we think he is a tier behind the chunk of secondary running backs in this deep class. Coleman will work out for teams on April 15.

Source: Baltimore Sun
Mar 16 - 10:34 AM

Rotoworld:

Indiana RB Tevin Coleman's "violent running style is a joy to watch, but might have to be tempered to extend his career," advises NFL Media draft analyst Lance Zierlein.
"He is a 'race car in the red' on just about every snap and refuses to give in, which leads to many big runs," Zierlein wrote. "Zone, gap, power ... it doesn't really matter because Coleman can fit all schemes. Has the burst and top-end speed to be a game-changing running back for a team looking for a workhorse." Like pretty much everyone else, the analyst compares Coleman to Darren McFadden. Like McFadden, Coleman is a lanky speed merchant. Unfortunately, they also share durability concerns and stiff hips. Coleman is a probable Round 2 pick.

Source: NFL.com
Mar 18 - 2:00 AM

It is remarkable that Coleman did what he did at Indiana, who really sucked. I would love for the Lions to get him.

The thing that keeping Coleman under the radar is the NFL player comparison to Darren McFadden - thank you Zierlein and Mayock. The 3.2 yards after contact however tells another story. It is probably to much to hope for that I can get him as the 10th pick in the rookie draft after the real NFL draft takes place.
Similar scenario for me but it's beginning to look like a deep enough class where there will be lots of goodies to choose from, regardless

Rotoworld:

Indiana RB Tevin Coleman will visit the Chargers, according to Aaron Wilson.
Previous visits with the Panthers, Lions, Ravens and Cardinals have been reported. Many evaluators list Coleman near the top of their running backs lists, but we disagree. Coleman is absolutely explosive in a straight-line to burn defenses, but he goes down on contact far too often. He might fit a change of pace role early on rather than potential foundation backs he is being listed above.

Source: National Football Post
Mar 24 - 10:39 AM

I see a little bit of Adrian Peterson but mostly Felix Jones. Has great ability to cutback but I didn't see much on tape that tells me he can make a guy miss or break a tackle.

He's going for the home run everytime he touches the ball though. Tough prospect to gauge. He's got that extra gear for sure though.

A few reactions to peoples comments about Coleman.

I have heard people calling Coleman small.

I do not see him playing small at all. It would not surprise me to see Coleman end up gaining 10lbs after a year in the NFL and being pretty much the ideal of what people are looking for in terms of size and weight.

Coleman runs to straight line.

I have to wonder if his toe injury was limiting Coleman as far as lateral motion and cuts. But people will just report honestly what they see. I have not seen a lot of ankle breaking moves from Coleman either. That is something I look for in a RB.

What I do see Coleman is undeniable speed. There are several plays that it looks like 2 or more defenders should have the angle to at least make a tackle attempt on Coleman, yet he is able to hit a gear that forces them to miss their angle. Multiple times I have seen this speed from Coleman where he can split the defense. I see that translating to the next level.

Rotoworld:

Indiana RB Tevin Coleman will visit the Chargers, according to Aaron Wilson.
Previous visits with the Panthers, Lions, Ravens and Cardinals have been reported. Many evaluators list Coleman near the top of their running backs lists, but we disagree. Coleman is absolutely explosive in a straight-line to burn defenses, but he goes down on contact far too often. He might fit a change of pace role early on rather than potential foundation backs he is being listed above.

Source: National Football Post
Mar 24 - 10:39 AM
Goes down on contact far to often??? how is this possible if he avg 3.2 ypc. I think there is a lot of misinformation out there. Kid is legit 2000 yard rusher and is big enough to be an every down back

here is an interesting article I just read.. this is incredible this kid is tough as nails... When all the back up rbs at Indiana were sidelined Tevin Coleman rushed for 1200 yards on a broken foot.... I like this kid more and more with each day... he is way better and tougher then Felix jones, this article alone proves that... Felix wouldn't rush for 1200 yards with a hangnail, let alone broken bone in foot.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2411050-tevin-colemans-1200-yards-of-pain-breaking-records-with-a-broken-foot

this kid has guts, love his attitude... No Pain No Gain

Coleman wore a boot when walking around campus. He wore an immobilization insert in his cleat when he practiced. He did not miss a single drill. "It was real sore, but I couldn't stop playing," Coleman said. "I had to continue to play, continue to help my team. Sitting out wasn't a part of me. I wasn't about to do that."

keep this in mind when evaluatiing Coleman he is a beast in every fashion and will be an assett in 15 for some team... Let this soak in

"If I was full go, I would have had a lot more yards," Coleman said. "It probably would have been ugly."

If Coleman is finally full go after his season of pain, it could get pretty ugly for NFL defenders too.

What I do see Coleman is undeniable speed. There are several plays that it looks like 2 or more defenders should have the angle to at least make a tackle attempt on Coleman, yet he is able to hit a gear that forces them to miss their angle. Multiple times I have seen this speed from Coleman where he can split the defense. I see that translating to the next level.
I saw that with Roy Helu but it hasn't translated, at least to stardom. I'm taking a watch and see on this guy.

Rotoworld:

NFLDraftScout.com's Frank Cooney cautions that Indiana RB Tevin Coleman's "running style is not smooth and he bloated his stats against weaker teams."
"Except for lacking impressive power and a problem with fumbling, Coleman is exceptional at all tasks required of a running back," Cooney wrote. Colleague Dane Brugler compares Coleman to DeMarco Murray. Coleman is coming off a nagging toe injury, of which he said: "He took a sesamoid bone out and attached a tendon to the other bone. It happened in the fifth game of the season. I played through it, had surgery after the season. It was definitely painful."

Source: CBS Sports
Apr 14 - 4:23 PM

Rotoworld:

NFLDraftScout.com's Frank Cooney cautions that Indiana RB Tevin Coleman's "running style is not smooth and he bloated his stats against weaker teams."
"Except for lacking impressive power and a problem with fumbling, Coleman is exceptional at all tasks required of a running back," Cooney wrote. Colleague Dane Brugler compares Coleman to DeMarco Murray. Coleman is coming off a nagging toe injury, of which he said: "He took a sesamoid bone out and attached a tendon to the other bone. It happened in the fifth game of the season. I played through it, had surgery after the season. It was definitely painful."

Source: CBS Sports
Apr 14 - 4:23 PM
Need I remind anyone that Coleman played for IU. By all accounts IU is almost always the weaker team.

Blackjacks said:
It's impressive, but kind of what you might expect from a speed guy his size at a pro day.

White running a 4.3 at 215 at the combine was a WOW to me. Coleman running what could actually be anywhere from 4.3 to 4.5 at 206, certainly doesn't hurt him, but it doesn't vault him anywhere either. We know he's fast enough.

Blackjacks said:
It's impressive, but kind of what you might expect from a speed guy his size at a pro day.White running a 4.3 at 215 at the combine was a WOW to me. Coleman running what could actually be anywhere from 4.3 to 4.5 at 206, certainly doesn't hurt him, but it doesn't vault him anywhere either. We know he's fast enough.
This is how I feel as well. You shouldn't have needed a 40 time to tell you he is fast. He was expected to be one of the fastest, if not the fastest RB in the draft.

I'm not sure, just purely based on the fact that no RB at the combine ran that well. Think about it for a second, if Coleman ran at the combine (and posted a 4.4 lets say) and looked decent to above average in the drills how much hype would he be getting and possibly being considered as a consensus #3 RB? I think it's worth mentioning, that could have been possible. But we don't live in the past so because it's just a pro-day 40 time, and his draft status has kind of cooled off, it isn't as big of a deal. But if he ran at the combine and did that I think his overall value is higher than it currently is.

Users who are viewing this thread