What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Tevin Coleman, SF (1 Viewer)

He's kinda like Derrick Henry but with a more defined role in the offense.  He doesn't need Freeman to get hurt to produce.  Not sure I really want him on my roster though unless he falls
I'll gladly take both and have recently. Auction, tevin cost about the same as ridick, Powell and Ware. 26th by cost. 

I'll gladly take both and have recently. Auction, tevin cost about the same as ridick, Powell and Ware. 26th by cost. 
Yeah I think your team makeup depends a bit but yeah I think I take Coleman over those guys.

I'm not ready to call Henry equal to Freeman, even best case if Murray stays healthy. But he could be there guy who wins a lot of leagues this year

He's kinda like Derrick Henry but with a more defined role in the offense.  He doesn't need Freeman to get hurt to produce.  Not sure I really want him on my roster though unless he falls
Falls to where?

I drafted him in the middle of the 7th in a recent FFPC FBGC

Will be starting him over Alex Collins. He may have more small yardage gains than big rips, might get caught at the line more than we'd like to see, but getting most of the carries and those sweet pass targets in a PPR make him a near must start for me.

An aside -- not having watched too many Falcons games this year, almost had a heart attack watching who I thought was Tevin Coleman being used as a fullback for Ward. Yes, a few substances involved were clouding my normally stellar sense, but was yelling at the coaches' stupidity until I took a closer look at the number. Another fine blonde moment for good ol' STC.

Derrick is the first deaf offensive player in the NFL.  :thumbup:

Falcons’ Coleman ready to run to daylight for his twins

Excerpt:

Coleman rushed for a career-high 628 yards and five touchdowns last season. He also runs routes like a receiver, according to quarterback Matt Ryan. A nightmare for linebackers to cover, Coleman caught 27 passes for 299 yards and three touchdowns. 

Coleman, as he heads into the final year of his rookie contract, plans to build on the fine start to his career. 

“For me, I just want to stay consistent in everything I do,” Coleman said. “Keep doing what I’m doing. For the offense, of course, we want to be the best offense. We want to definitely finish, keep the ball and make plays.”

The Falcons have added new wrinkles to the offense this offseason and some include the fast and powerful Coleman. 

“They want to use me more,” Coleman said. “Line me up out wide and stuff like that. It’s going to be pretty cool.”

The Falcons left no stone unturned in the offseason. Coleman has things to work on, too. 

“Just not cutting on my inside leg,” Coleman said. “Sometimes I cut with my inside leg. I need to use my outside leg.”

Falcons coach Dan Quinn is expecting big things from Coleman.

“We’ve tried really to get (really) involved with our running backs in the passing game as well,” Quinn said. “I thought he made a big jump last year with (former running backs coach) Keith Carter with his pass protection. That part really came to life.”

Coleman’s workload has increased each season. He had 89 touches (rushes and catches) as a rookie followed by 149 and 163 the next seasons. 

“Now, we want to make sure that we’re really featuring him and Devonta (Freeman) in as many ways as we can,” Quinn said. “So, whether if it’s outside or leaving them in the backfield. The amount of catches and touches that we can get for those guys ... we know how explosive they are.”

Coleman has hit off with new running backs coach Bernie Parmalee. 

“He’s cool,” Coleman said. “He’s amazing. He’s a good coach. I’m looking forward to working with him.”

The Falcons signed Freeman to a six-year, $43 million contract last season. Coleman has a base salary of $791,268 for the 2018 season and if the Falcons can’t work out an extension, he’ll become a free agent.

Teams rarely have two running backs with hefty contracts, although Carolina did it with DeAngelo Williams and Jonathan Stewart. Williams signed a five-year, $43 million deal in 2011. Stewart signed a five-year $36.5 million in 2013. The two were on the roster together from 2008-14. 

Coleman is aware of his situation and knows a big payday is looming from him and the twins.

It's exciting to hear if you're an owner waiting for the value jump in 2019 but I'll believe it when/if he gets big money in free agency.  

It's exciting to hear if you're an owner waiting for the value jump in 2019 but I'll believe it when/if he gets big money in free agency.  
That's my concern as well. The good thing is that he'll be only 25 when free agency hits next year (turns 26 around NFL draft). But we've seen the devaluation trend of RBs, and more accomplished RBs than Coleman have had to settle for a reduced rate RBBC role. His 2019 value will almost certainly depend on other FA RBs (e.g., Ajayi) out there and the RB crop in the rookie draft.

Starting Coleman tonight. Not sure what to expect as I didn’t get to watch as much Falcons games as I wanted last year. But hoping for the best.

https://www.atlantafalcons.com/news/nerdy-birdz-four-falcons-stats-you-should-know-about-tevin-coleman-heading-into-
Bottled up on most runs except for his TD.

Looked phenominal on his catch and run. I’m surprised they haven’t used him more in the passing game tonight.

Good start tonight but feel a bit lucky. Great td run and one great catch. 

Plenty of usage though so may remain a strong flex play.

Certainly seems to have starter ability - just a matter of whether a team will give him that chance.

If Freeman is out for any games Coleman becomes an instant starter for most fantasy teams (unless you are stacked at RB, you will probably be starting him if Freeman is out).  Any word on the expectations for next year?  I assume he'll test free agency during the off season - could he become the feature back somewhere else next year?  

I really want to play him this week as hes pretty much a low end RB1 when Freeman is out but I would have to make that decision tonight because my other option is Collins. Very tempted to take the risk. Can always plug in a WR at flex if Freeman actually plays. Thoughts on Coleman this week?

I really want to play him this week as hes pretty much a low end RB1 when Freeman is out but I would have to make that decision tonight because my other option is Collins. Very tempted to take the risk. Can always plug in a WR at flex if Freeman actually plays. Thoughts on Coleman this week?
I'd gamble on the RB on the team favored at home, higher implied team total, and not on a short week.

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution's D. Orlando Ledbetter reports Devonta Freeman (knee) is not expected to play Week 2 against the Panthers.

Ledbetter expects rookie Ito Smith to be Tevin Coleman's backup. Freeman hasn't practiced at all this week after injuring his knee in last Thursday night's opener against Philly. It's not believed to be serious, but it's obviously enough to potentially cost him games. Coleman will be an upside RB2 play.
Fire Coleman up. Starting him over Chris Hogan, Keelan Cole and Ricky Seals-Jones if Freeman is indeed out.

Last edited by a moderator:
:drive: ... take a seat Mr. Cooks, make some room for the Tevin express!

It's official, he's out. Coleman gonna eat well.

EDIT: Evan Silva Game Breakdown

Devonta Freeman exited Week 1 with a third-quarter aggravation of the right MCL/PCL injury he played through down last year’s stretch. He's been ruled out, setting up Tevin Coleman for a near-full workload against Thomas Davis-less Carolina. Normally stout in run defense, the Panthers surrendered an efficient 16/74/4.63/1 rushing line to Cowboys backs in Week 1. Coleman should have a 17-touch floor as a six-point home favorite. Over Coleman's last four games where he met or exceeded that 17-touch threshold, Tevin logged touch/yardage/touchdown results of 19/97/2 > 21/58/1 > 21/88/1 > 18/110/0. He’s a high-end RB2.

So the latest news of Freeman being out 2-3 weeks, Tevin Coleman will get a starters' share. What does that entail?

Sep 16 - Car  *12.69----

Sep 23 - NO  *9.19----

Sep 30 Cin  *9.50----

3 Home games with Carolina, New Orleans, and Cincinnati. Those aren't bad... the NO game is the most daunting but Atlanta gets the home boost. As per CBS, "There have been five times since 2015 that Freeman has either left a game or been out, and Coleman has either a touchdown or 100 rushing yards in all five outings. It happened three times in 2017, and Coleman averaged 16.0 PPR points over that span."

Tevin Coleman rushed 16 times for 107 yards in the Falcons' 31-24, Week 2 win over the Panthers.

He caught all four of his targets for 18 additional yards. With Devonta Freeman (knee) out, Coleman got his 20 touches, while rookie RB Ito Smith chipped in with 55 yards on 10 touches. Coleman's bug run went for 36 yards, and he also had a 19-yarder that was very close to going to the house for a long touchdown. Coleman was unable to convert his run inside the 10-yard line for a score, getting it down to the one before Matt Ryan scored on a sneak the next play. With Freeman expected to miss at least another game, Coleman will be an upside RB2 next week against New Orleans.
Didn't quite reach 17 carries, but again he hit 100 rushing yards. Enjoy the next couple of games and maybe you start dangling him in trades?

So I was offered this in my keeper league (Keep 4). This seems like such a sucker trade 2-1 I'd have to drop someone again. 

I get:

Crowell 

Carson

6th (2nd round after keepers)

He Gets:

Coleman and my 9th (5th after keepers)

I don't think I'm doing it either way but was wondering what you guys thought of it? Seems like the type of BS my buddies co worker would pull in their money league. This is btw a FREE LEAGUE. I got Melvin Gordon, Clement, Michel and Eckler

So I was offered this in my keeper league (Keep 4). This seems like such a sucker trade 2-1 I'd have to drop someone again. 

I get:

Crowell 

Carson

6th (2nd round after keepers)

He Gets:

Coleman and my 9th (5th after keepers)

I don't think I'm doing it either way but was wondering what you guys thought of it? Seems like the type of BS my buddies co worker would pull in their money league. This is btw a FREE LEAGUE. I got Melvin Gordon, Clement, Michel and Eckler
Wrong place to ask this question.

Do most people expect Coleman to get a lead back role in FA next season ?
I think the common thought is that Coleman will leave in FA. He can be a starter, but he'll probably get flanked by a big bruising back because he's really not a grinder.

The Steelers defense is ripe for the taking so I am tempted but it is too risky when I think I have another good option 

Users who are viewing this thread