What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Melvin Gordon, BAL (2 Viewers)

You may have heard the phrase regression (or progression) to the mean. Related to this is the concept that each individual player has their own mean that they regress or progress towards.

So the study was focused on that. Trying to find a players true mean in terms of yards per carry. That mean cannot be found until the player has enough volume which was about 2000 rushing attempts.

The point being that one season is not a large enough sample size to find the players average or mean yards per carry. Two seasons might be enough to be reasonably close to that, three years would be a sample I would have more confidence in. 3 years discarding the rookie season stats would be more reliable than that.
Exactly.

So Richardson's agent would argue that his mean could be 5y/c we just haven't had enough carries to see it yet. In fact he has ~600 carries so deserves six(?) more years of carries before we know what his mean would be.

Would you have more confidence in 4 years that 3?

Exactly.

So Richardson's agent would argue that his mean could be 5y/c we just haven't had enough carries to see it yet. In fact he has ~600 carries so deserves six(?) more years of carries before we know what his mean would be.

Would you have more confidence in 4 years that 3?
Ideally I would like to have 3 years of data that does not include a rookie season.

I think Rookie seasons often do not reflect the rest of the players career well. Most players get better after a season in the NFL.

The TR and agent comments completely miss the point. I am talking about all players here.

Ideally I would like to have 3 years of data that does not include a rookie season.

I think Rookie seasons often do not reflect the rest of the players career well. Most players get better after a season in the NFL.

The TR and agent comments completely miss the point. I am talking about all players here.
I thought the point was you need more carries to give you more data because "the concept that each individual player has their own mean that they regress or progress towards" Would 5 years of data or 4 years of data give you a more accurate picture of a players mean?

Trent Richardson was a player. Does he fit within the subset of "all players"?

Of course.The subset is not the overall group however but one unique case. I am talking about what sample sizes could be considered reliable and what makes those sample sizes more reliable.

Using the same method for Trent Richardson 

Rookie season 267 rushing attempts 950 yards 3.6 yards per carry. This is a large enough sample but there were reasons to doubt the ypc being his true average as he was a rookie.

Second season (he plays for the Browns and Colts) 188 rushing attempts 563 rushing yards 3.0 yards per carry. This is a smaller sample than his first season, but as these are the only two seasons you would have to work with, you still use the rookie season plus the second season data together. 

455 rushing attempts 1513 rushing yards 3.3 yards per carry.

This is enough data to project his yards per carry at 3.3 for the upcoming season, however there are still reasons to doubt the data and it certainly was possible (If TR was good) that his yards per carry might progress towards the league average which is usually 4.2 yards per carry.

Third season 159 rushing attempts 519 yards 3.3 yards per carry.

Trent Richardson showed, while getting plenty of volume that he is a 3.3 yards per carry RB over 3 seasons. The combined data from season one and season two was the same as season three. His first season was actually his best which is different than most good RB who have better seasons two through six than they do in their rookie season.

You can apply this methodology to all players as a way of evaluating yards per carry for each player. One example is not representative of the entire population of players.Each player is unique. That is why we are talking about each player having their own unique mean and the rest of this is about how reliable the sample sizes may be for projecting future stats. In Richardson's case it became more clear after his second season and that carried over accurately into his 3rd season. He is one of the rare RB who actually got a lot of volume making these samples more reliable than a guy who only had 150 or less carries over a season.

I'm buying Gordon. I can see him as a Robert Smith type back - maybe a bit stronger than Smith but with not as much top end straight line speed as Smith had.  

I think Gordon could be sneaky good this year.

He's a buy as long as he's an 8th rounder.  I imagine he'll creep into a 6th with another good performance against the Cards in a few days. 

Gordon will be on several of my teams this year because the Charger offense should be a top 5 scoring offense overall. I have a lot of faith in Whiz to out Gordon in position to succeed and Philip has more weapons that I can remember.  

The big concern IMO that is being overlooked is the fumbles. I know many of the greats had issues early on, but most of those guys were at least succeeding enough to demand more chances.  Gordon's play last year wasn't good enough to warrant overlooking the fumbles, and McCoy benched him multiple times. The leash will likely be short again this as the Chargers will probably be contention for a wild card spot and Woodhead doesn't fumble.  

as the Chargers will probably be contention for a wild card spot
Hope you are right, but I doubt it.
The entire AFC West is kind of hard to project this season. In the abstract, I think the Chargers are probably around an 8-8 team if they stay relatively healthy this season, which means it would take only a little luck to win 9 games and contend for a Wild Card spot.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't want to say Gordon's ADP is criminal, but I do think he's very good value being drafted as a mid level RB3 in the 8-9th round.

I've read the Gordon is unable to make space for himself but I rewatched his 20+ yard runs from last year and this notion wasn't backed up. He exhibited good vision, made people miss in the second level on occasion (can be seen on his 20+ yard runs vs. CIN and DEN) and showed the ability to quickly get to the edge and accelerate. I don't think physical ability or talent is a problem.

Considering a healthier OL, the addition of Slauson and a fullback and the lack of serious competition and he's probably a steal at his current price. 

I think he's a certain kind of runner. I think he's a downhill track runner. He's not really spontaneously agile. He does not have great lateral quickness. He's a downhill track runner. So, those kinds of runners need specific schemes and they need good o-lines. So, Melvin Gordon is not a creator. Melvin Gordon needs a good o-line and a certain kind of run game.
I find this an interesting observation, because I saw just the opposite last year. I watched a good bit of Gordon, and I was seeing him (when he could get past the LOS) make a pretty good amount of guys miss.

SameSongNDance said:
I've read the Gordon is unable to make space for himself but I rewatched his 20+ yard runs from last year and this notion wasn't backed up. 
Well that seems like a waste of eight or so seconds.

Well that seems like a waste of eight or so seconds.
Gordon was tied for the 10th most 20+ yard runs last year (6) with players like Freeman, McCoy, DWill and etc, not to mention all of these players had more rushing attempts (Freeman had like 80ish more). If I broke it down by "average 20+ yard run per attempt" Gordon would move even further up the ranks. For as ####ty of a season Gordon had last year, he had a  healthy amount of nice runs where he broke into the second level and flashed big play ability.

I like Gordon's value, particularly if I go zero RB
Went 0 RB in a league (12 team, 0.5 PPR 1/2/2/1/Flex) where QBs, TEs, and RBs were hit early and hit hard. Couldn't have been happier with my WRs (highlighted by Julio, Green and Robinson), and I ended up with Gordon as my #1 RB. Makes me nervous to depend on him, to say the least, but I'm happy with the results.

Thanks SSND. I was just going to ask if you could put those clips together.

When I watched Gordon a month or so ago, I was impressed enough that I had to comment about it in this thread.

I don't feel as optimistic about the coaching staff, especially Wiz, but Gordon looked good at times last season.

Gordon was tied for the 10th most 20+ yard runs last year (6) with players like Freeman, McCoy, DWill and etc, not to mention all of these players had more rushing attempts (Freeman had like 80ish more). If I broke it down by "average 20+ yard run per attempt" Gordon would move even further up the ranks. For as ####ty of a season Gordon had last year, he had a  healthy amount of nice runs where he broke into the second level and flashed big play ability.
True. He had 142 rushing yards on those 6 carries. The problem is that he had 178 more carries that only netted 499 yards (2.8 ypc). More than 60% of his carries were for 3 yards or fewer. The 20+ yard carries are nice, but obviously for any RB to be considered a success, he has to perform better than that.

Fortunately, there are reasons for optimism that he will perform better going forward.

True. He had 142 rushing yards on those 6 carries. The problem is that he had 178 more carries that only netted 499 yards (2.8 ypc). More than 60% of his carries were for 3 yards or fewer. The 20+ yard carries are nice, but obviously for any RB to be considered a success, he has to perform better than that.

Fortunately, there are reasons for optimism that he will perform better going forward.
You're right, the heat map for him is pretty damning. Footballoutsider's OL stats also show that it wasn't all on the OL either.

But as you said, there are reasons for optimism that are external to Gordon himself (healthy/upgraded OL, fullback, Wiz as the OC). As long as he isn't a TRich type bum (he can actually find the holes) then I don't see how he doesn't outperform his ADP.

Melvin Gordon rushed six times for 18 yards Friday night against the Cardinals.
Gordon opened the game with a 12 yard run off the left side, but he was mostly bottled up after that. He also continued to lose red zone work to Danny Woodhead. Despite a big touchdown catch in the first preseason game, Gordon's effectiveness and touchdown upside remain in question.

Aug 19 - 11:30 PM

This is the problem I had with him coming into the league. Some people are making it sound like last year was some sort of unusual fluke. Coming out of college he was a guy that got stuffed around the line of scrimmage often(with or without a FB) and that was only offset by the fact he had big plays for TD's. Being one of the best athletes on the field in college is a lot different than being just a good athlete like everyone else in the NFL. Long TD's offsetting getting stuffed is a whole lot different than 6 runs of 20 yards on nearly 200 carries.

This is the problem I had with him coming into the league. Some people are making it sound like last year was some sort of unusual fluke. Coming out of college he was a guy that got stuffed around the line of scrimmage often(with or without a FB) and that was only offset by the fact he had big plays for TD's. Being one of the best athletes on the field in college is a lot different than being just a good athlete like everyone else in the NFL. Long TD's offsetting getting stuffed is a whole lot different than 6 runs of 20 yards on nearly 200 carries.
I agree, I remember this being a specific negative in his draft profile.

He's by far a below average athlete in the NFL. 

As I said at the beginning of this thread: not a lot of successful 6'+, sub 220 lb. RB's with 4.5 speed.
Sounds like as much cherry picking now as it was then.

When I put forth examples such as David Johnson, Knowshon Moreno, Todd Gurley, Eddie Lacy, Jeremy Hill, Jamal Lewis, Rashad Jennings, LeVeon Bell I guess you will quibble that Gordon was only 215 pounds at the time of the combine like those 5 pounds matter too much for Gordon to qualify.

The reporting of this data is so inconsistent, I don't understand why anyone would think it is reliable enough to split hairs about a few pounds or inches or fractions of a second.

FWIW Gordon's combine numbers

He has a sub 4.4 time for his best speed that day.

My only problem with him is that he doesn't excel in any facet of the game that Danny Woodhead doesn't... and Woodhead gets the goal line work.

If you run him under center, 3 yards. If you run him out of shotgun and on passing downs, you're taking opportunity away from Woodhead.

He's the new Reggie Bush, great acceleration in space. Not a great, "grind it out" type running back.

However, with a good line he could produce but so could anyone. He's like Chris Johnson without the elite speed, similar initial burst.

Sounds like as much cherry picking now as it was then.

When I put forth examples such as David Johnson, Knowshon Moreno, Todd Gurley, Eddie Lacy, Jeremy Hill, Jamal Lewis, Rashad Jennings, LeVeon Bell I guess you will quibble that Gordon was only 215 pounds at the time of the combine like those 5 pounds matter too much for Gordon to qualify.

The reporting of this data is so inconsistent, I don't understand why anyone would think it is reliable enough to split hairs about a few pounds or inches or fractions of a second.

FWIW Gordon's combine numbers

He has a sub 4.4 time for his best speed that day.
I don't think you're reading that right. His best official time is the posted time of 4.52. I'm not sure what the 'low' is. My best guess is that's the lowest someone clocked him at but it is not official. 

I don't think you're reading that right. His best official time is the posted time of 4.52. I'm not sure what the 'low' is. My best guess is that's the lowest someone clocked him at but it is not official. 
It is in the link. 4.33 was the quickest he timed that day.

For one thing, it shows that these times are variable. A player does not always run the same time, even in back to back tries at it.

It is faulty reasoning to think that the official time is set in stone and that predetermines a players abilities for their entire career, especially when you know these times will change from week to week, year to year and so on. Especially weight, you know that changes all the time and 5 pounds is pretty meaningless.

All of the combine data is already baked in to the players draft position. 

Dynasty..standard scoring ..no ppr

Would u deal Rawls for Gordon and Matt Jones...Bell/Williams, Miller, Charles are my other RB. Can start 3 RB and 1 wr?

Trending upwards.
Kind of. I mean, his season was so bad last year that there was nowhere to go but up if he is healthy.

Today, he had a 39 yard TD run, and his speed was impressive. But Rivers audibled to the perfect play against a blitz, and he really didn't have to do anything except run through a big hole and turn on the speed. I liked seeing it, but I can't shake the fact that the rest of his rushing attempts this preseason amount to 13 carries for 42 yards (3.2 ypc). This is the same trend as last season, where he was among league leaders in 20+ yard runs, but the majority of his runs went for 3 yards or less.

He also had a catch today where he tripped over his own feet and went down, leaving yards on the field.

I'm really not sure what to expect at this point.

Gordon is going to change the minds of a lot of haters this year.

Even JWB will be singing his praises by week 12.  lol.

Kind of. I mean, his season was so bad last year that there was nowhere to go but up if he is healthy.

Today, he had a 39 yard TD run, and his speed was impressive. But Rivers audibled to the perfect play against a blitz, and he really didn't have to do anything except run through a big hole and turn on the speed. I liked seeing it, but I can't shake the fact that the rest of his rushing attempts this preseason amount to 13 carries for 42 yards (3.2 ypc). This is the same trend as last season, where he was among league leaders in 20+ yard runs, but the majority of his runs went for 3 yards or less.

He also had a catch today where he tripped over his own feet and went down, leaving yards on the field.

I'm really not sure what to expect at this point.
This is ridiculous. You need to delve into stats more closely before making such a silly comment.

Go and look at Peterson's game logs from last year. Peterson had almost 1500 yards rushing. He had 7 of  his 16 games where he averaged 3.5 ypc or less in a game.  Therefore almost half the time Peterson was not that good by your standards.  Go and look at Todd Gurley's game logs. He played in 12 games last year. In 4 of those 12 games he did not have a ypc higher than 2.6 yards.  In 2 other games he had a 3.8 ypc game and a 3.7. Therefore in 6 of his 12 games he averaged 3.8 ypc are worse and 4 of those games were absolute stinkers. 

So what you are failing to see is RB's even the great ones don't consistently put up 4.4 ypc every week. The issue with Gordon was he was not having any games to help his ypc by having big weeks. So far this preseason it looks more promising.

Part of what made Gordon an intriguing prospect coming out of college was his ability to break long runs. Guess what? In two preseason games this year he has broken off long runs for TD's. One on a pass and one rushing. Who knows, maybe Rivers audibles to the right play this year on multiple occasions. You are giving Gordon a back handed compliment by saying he showed great speed and looked impressive only to following it up with essentially giving Rivers the credit and even going as far as saying he did not have to do anything except run through a big hole.  

Did you trade Gordon away this off season and are regretting the decision? That is the only thing that I can think of. 

JWB craps on Gordon every time he is mentioned in every thread.

I'm fairly certain he has some sort of alarm that goes off whenever someone posts anything positive about the guy.

Gordon is going be a top-10 RB this year.  ...his alarm should go off in 3, 2, 1...

I don't want to say Gordon's ADP is criminal, but I do think he's very good value being drafted as a mid level RB3 in the 8-9th round.

I've read the Gordon is unable to make space for himself but I rewatched his 20+ yard runs from last year and this notion wasn't backed up. He exhibited good vision, made people miss in the second level on occasion (can be seen on his 20+ yard runs vs. CIN and DEN) and showed the ability to quickly get to the edge and accelerate. I don't think physical ability or talent is a problem.

Considering a healthier OL, the addition of Slauson and a fullback and the lack of serious competition and he's probably a steal at his current price. 
Fat chance he makes it to the 8th now. I also was targeting him, that will either change or we'll see how far he moves up. Today, nothing else on TV, a lot of folks watched that play in real time and it was impressive. The Vikings are decent on defense, for him to just go in untouched from that far out seemed pretty amazing. 

He is a guy that will go under the radar because he had a sub par rookie year. That said he has a pretty mediocre OL and poor defense so it's possible he watches much of the game on the sidelines. I don't see San Diego running out the clock a lot. 

Wish he hadn't flashed today, liked him a whole lot in the 8th.  

He'll fly into the 4th/5th now, you can bet on it. 

This is ridiculous. You need to delve into stats more closely before making such a silly comment.

Go and look at Peterson's game logs from last year. Peterson had almost 1500 yards rushing. He had 7 of  his 16 games where he averaged 3.5 ypc or less in a game.  Therefore almost half the time Peterson was not that good by your standards.  Go and look at Todd Gurley's game logs. He played in 12 games last year. In 4 of those 12 games he did not have a ypc higher than 2.6 yards.  In 2 other games he had a 3.8 ypc game and a 3.7. Therefore in 6 of his 12 games he averaged 3.8 ypc are worse and 4 of those games were absolute stinkers. 

So what you are failing to see is RB's even the great ones don't consistently put up 4.4 ypc every week. The issue with Gordon was he was not having any games to help his ypc by having big weeks. So far this preseason it looks more promising.

Part of what made Gordon an intriguing prospect coming out of college was his ability to break long runs. Guess what? In two preseason games this year he has broken off long runs for TD's. One on a pass and one rushing. Who knows, maybe Rivers audibles to the right play this year on multiple occasions. You are giving Gordon a back handed compliment by saying he showed great speed and looked impressive only to following it up with essentially giving Rivers the credit and even going as far as saying he did not have to do anything except run through a big hole.  

Did you trade Gordon away this off season and are regretting the decision? That is the only thing that I can think of. 
I have never owned Gordon, so have never traded him away.

Gordon's two big plays this preseason were awesome, and they illustrate reason for optimism. I have posted many times in this thread about reasons we should be optimistic that Gordon will improve this year. However, it hasn't translated to the field in preseason other than those two plays. They happened, and that's great. If he breaks a 39+ yard play every 7-8 touches this season, and the rest of his plays are for 3.5 yards or less, he will be a great fantasy RB.

However, I think that would be a very atypical path to fantasy success, and I don't really expect him to break a 39+ yard run that often. If he instead breaks long runs about as often as he did last year, when he was among the league leaders in 20+ yard runs, that would be 1 20+ yard run for every 30 carries or so. Big difference. I think his preseason pace for big plays is unsustainable, so the hope has to be that the end result lies somewhere in the middle of last year and this preseason.

I hope he has a great season. :shrug:  

I have never owned Gordon, so have never traded him away.

Gordon's two big plays this preseason were awesome, and they illustrate reason for optimism. I have posted many times in this thread about reasons we should be optimistic that Gordon will improve this year. However, it hasn't translated to the field in preseason other than those two plays. They happened, and that's great. If he breaks a 39+ yard play every 7-8 touches this season, and the rest of his plays are for 3.5 yards or less, he will be a great fantasy RB.
Disagree with the bolded statement, there have been a few runs where he put his head down and ran through traffic similar to AP.  Today's first or second run(I think) to the right side is an example.

I turned down Abdullah and 2 3rds for Gordon in one of my PPR dynasty leagues. Just seems like the Chargers REALLY want to justify that top 15 pick on him, and with Oliver going down today, seems it only helps his value maybe?? 

Disagree with the bolded statement, there have been a few runs where he put his head down and ran through traffic similar to AP.  Today's first or second run(I think) to the right side is an example.
You're right. Today, he looked better, including the run you mentioned. Here are his touches:

TEN - runs for 3, 4, 5, and 2 yards, where 2 yard run negated due to offensive holding, then the 44 yard TD reception

ARI - runs for 12, 3, -4, 3, 1, and 3 yards. This is the kind of thing I am concerned about, 1 very good run and 5 runs for 3 yards or less. No catches in this game. It should be noted that Rivers didn't play.

MIN - runs for 7 and 4 yards, reception for 5 yards, runs for 1 and 39 yards.

Today was definitely the best game of his career. The first 2 preseason games, 7 of his 10 runs were for 3 yards or less, which seemed like more of the same from last year. Today it was only 1 of 4 runs. Maybe I should just ignore the first couple games since it was preseason.

I hope all of you who are expecting big things from him are right.

I turned down Abdullah and 2 3rds for Gordon in one of my PPR dynasty leagues. Just seems like the Chargers REALLY want to justify that top 15 pick on him, and with Oliver going down today, seems it only helps his value maybe?? 
Prob should have taken that.  I think abdullah is prob on the same lvl as gordon

Prob should have taken that.  I think abdullah is prob on the same lvl as gordon
I don't think it was a bad offer, but a LOT more competition between Riddick, Zenner, and now reports that even Dwayne Washington has looked the part. Gordon just has Whitehead, and he's a lot older than all the other Lions RBs...at least that was my logic, flawed or not. 

A lot of "after the fact" prognosticators in here...where was the Gordon love two weeks ago.

:coffee:
This makes no sense.  Two weeks ago we hadn't seen him in action and he was coming off a pretty serious knee surgery.  Now we've seen some positive signs from him.  I don't think too many are saying he's going to be a stud but that there is some evidence he could have a bounce back year thus he's a bargain at his current adp.

Users who are viewing this thread