What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Melvin Gordon, BAL (1 Viewer)

Rotoworld:

Wisconsin RB Melvin Gordon III will visit the Ravens, according to Rand Getlin.

No date was given, but the fit makes sense from a positional perspective. The Ravens no longer roster Ray Rice and Bernard Pierce, but did re-sign Justin Forsett. Gordon should not be mentioned in the same category as Todd Gurley, but is in the second tier of runner clumped in the second round.

Source: Rand Getlin on Twitter
Mar 19 - 10:35 AM

Why Melvin Gordon Will Be the Next Great NFL Running Back

Some critics will look at Gordon and dismiss him because he was a Badger, and running backs coming out of Wisconsin have historically flopped in the NFL. One only has to go as far back as Gordon’s former teammate, Montee Ball, to see proof of this: according to our metrics here at numberFIre, last season Ball had a per rush NEP of -0.15 for the Broncos, compared to a Rushing NEP per rush of 0.10 for teammate C.J. Anderson.

But when we compare Gordon’s collegiate numbers to Ball’s,we see that Gordon is far and away a better player and athlete. While Ball averaged a respectable 5.6 yards per carry as a Badger, Gordon averaged a full 2.2 yards above Ball at an insane 7.8 yards per tote. Gordon not only took advantage of the excellent blocking given to him by his offensive line as Ball did before him, but used his immense skills and talent to make the most of every run and break into and through the second level of the defense.

And as one NFL scout commented: “he makes NFL runs.” Unlike Ball, Gordon has the skills to succeed at the next level, whether or not he goes to a team with a great offensive line. Of course the better the offensive line, the better the prospects for Gordon (as DeMarco Murray can attest to), but as I’ve alluded to in sections above, it seems his success doesn't depend solely on the quality of the offensive lineman in front of him and that the factors driving his success in college will easily translate into the pros.

Why Melvin Gordon Will Be the Next Great NFL Running Back

Some critics will look at Gordon and dismiss him because he was a Badger, and running backs coming out of Wisconsin have historically flopped in the NFL. One only has to go as far back as Gordon’s former teammate, Montee Ball, to see proof of this: according to our metrics here at numberFIre, last season Ball had a per rush NEP of -0.15 for the Broncos, compared to a Rushing NEP per rush of 0.10 for teammate C.J. Anderson.

But when we compare Gordon’s collegiate numbers to Ball’s,we see that Gordon is far and away a better player and athlete. While Ball averaged a respectable 5.6 yards per carry as a Badger, Gordon averaged a full 2.2 yards above Ball at an insane 7.8 yards per tote. Gordon not only took advantage of the excellent blocking given to him by his offensive line as Ball did before him, but used his immense skills and talent to make the most of every run and break into and through the second level of the defense.

And as one NFL scout commented: “he makes NFL runs.” Unlike Ball, Gordon has the skills to succeed at the next level, whether or not he goes to a team with a great offensive line. Of course the better the offensive line, the better the prospects for Gordon (as DeMarco Murray can attest to), but as I’ve alluded to in sections above, it seems his success doesn't depend solely on the quality of the offensive lineman in front of him and that the factors driving his success in college will easily translate into the pros.

Last edited by a moderator:
Rotoworld:

Melvin Gordon - RB - Badgers

If Wisconsin RB Melvin Gordon III slips out of Round 1, ESPN's Mel Kiper believes that by definition he would become one of the draft's safest prospects.

"Given the injury questions any running back faces, Gordon is certainly not a safe pick in Round 1," Kiper wrote. "But he is close because if you can block for him, he can be a major difference-maker in his rookie season, so what you would lose in long-term certainty you'd win back in immediate production. Gordon is sneaky strong between the tackles and a home run threat any time he gets a crease. He's my best bet to be the first running back taken in Round 1 since 2012." We don't believe MGIII should be mentioned in the same category as Todd Gurley and we would disagree with any team that chose the Badger first. That said, Gordon is an extremely compelling prospect in his own right.

Source: ESPN Insider

Mar 31 - 12:32 AM

I'm starting to get concerned with Gordon. Unlike Gurley, where I have 0 questions about his game or even his injury. Gordon on the other hand I'm not hearing too much about him and just by thread page count its 2vs9. Not the best indicator but it's something. I'm holding 1.02 in 1 league and even though I'm good at WR, I may just have to avoid the risk of Gordon and go with a guy I'm very comfortable with in Cooper/White. I don't see Cooper/White busting, but there is a chance that Gordon does. Not sure how I feel about him.

I'm starting to get concerned with Gordon. Unlike Gurley, where I have 0 questions about his game or even his injury. Gordon on the other hand I'm not hearing too much about him and just by thread page count its 2vs9. Not the best indicator but it's something. I'm holding 1.02 in 1 league and even though I'm good at WR, I may just have to avoid the risk of Gordon and go with a guy I'm very comfortable with in Cooper/White. I don't see Cooper/White busting, but there is a chance that Gordon does. Not sure how I feel about him.
I also have the 1.02 and am good at WR, but Gordon isn't in consideration. That is unless he lands in Dallas.
In a vacuum who would you select over Gordon at pick two?

To me Gordon is one of the safest bets at RB for high quality production.

There are some criticisms of Gordon's game. Some might even consider him a jack of all trades that does not stand out in particular areas. But I tend to disagree with most of those criticisms.

For example:

He hasn't been used as much as a receiver.

Wisconsin had James White and Monte Ball who are good receiving RB drafted in the 4th and 2nd round respectively. Being able to spell Gordon with a receiving RB during his first two seasons seems like sound coaching. But I can see why some evaluations might take issue with Gordon not being used as much in the passing game as some of the other top RB.

His offensive line was really good.

This is true. But Gordon was significantly more productive than the other two RB who were drafted. In part because of the quality blocking, I have been able to see Gordon demonstrate paitence and timing setting up his blocks. These are skills that a lot of RB need to work on after transitioning to the NFL. I recall Peterson talking about that. How to press the line and cut at the best time to maximise the run. Gordon already has developed this patience, vision and timing to set up blocks to best effect. I'm not saying transition to the speed and complex nature of NFL defenses will be a completely smooth one. It is a huge step up in competition. But Gordon seems further along in this part of his development than a lot of rookie RB imho.

He didn't run faster than a 4.51 40 yard dash.

This has already been discussed quite a bit. I think Gordon is plenty fast to be a highly productive RB in the NFL. He may not be as explosive as Gurley or Coleman. But he is a very athletic player.

Some positive traits about Gordon are his durability, his ability to get skinny, good balance to break arm tackles and get yards after contact.

I consider Gordon to be a tier above Jay Ayaji and Tevin Coleman although I consider both of these RB to be very good prospects as well.

I also have the 1.02 and am good at WR, but Gordon isn't in consideration. That is unless he lands in Dallas.
In a vacuum who would you select over Gordon at pick two?
Cooper or White. Most likely Cooper. Gordon's receiving production is a big issue for me. Depending on where they land, I would consider taking Ajayi before Gordon (not at the 1.02 though).
Yea I would take Cooper likely if I'm not sold on Gordon before my rookie draft (depending on their landing spots of course). Don't get me wrong I do think Gordon is a solid NFL back but it does concern me over his lack of hype right now. White/Cooper/Gurley are all getting a good amount from what I've seen yet it's pretty silent on the Gordon front. I do like Gordon but I'm having a hard time being completely sold on him, I don't have that problem with Gurley/Cooper/White so that's why it's a hard choice.

How is Gordon more likely to bust than Kevin White?

Or have zero questions about gurleys injury?

Not more likely, I'm just more sold on Kevin White translating to the NFL than I am of Gordon. We get it, you hate White, does that have to leak into every thread someone mentions him? Just leave it alone.

I'm not concerned about any of the 3 I mentioned translating, the one I am is Gordon. It's not a big concern just something I wanted to say because of the fact he seems to be slipping behind those 3, at least from what I've read. It could very well be the fact the other 3 are getting all the hype, which in result causes them to rise and Gordon is just staying constant. It may not be an indictment against him, just a result of the others rising, in which case some team at 1.04/1.05 may be getting a steal. Just pointing it out.

And no I'm not concerned with Gurley's injury.

Gordon doesn't run with good power because he doesn't bring his legs thru contact. That could hurt him in the NFL it's maybe the only real red flag IMO. It could be a bad one because it could lead to a lot of arm tackles or just lack of attainable yds.

I don't think he's bad in this area, just not very good, maybe average. Gurley on the other hand is excellent in this area if you want contrast.

Not more likely, I'm just more sold on Kevin White translating to the NFL than I am of Gordon. We get it, you hate White, does that have to leak into every thread someone mentions him? Just leave it alone.

I'm not concerned about any of the 3 I mentioned translating, the one I am is Gordon. It's not a big concern just something I wanted to say because of the fact he seems to be slipping behind those 3, at least from what I've read. It could very well be the fact the other 3 are getting all the hype, which in result causes them to rise and Gordon is just staying constant. It may not be an indictment against him, just a result of the others rising, in which case some team at 1.04/1.05 may be getting a steal. Just pointing it out.

You're not concerned about a WR who doesn't run good routes and who plays slow in his routes translating at a position where one needs to develop the most? He even admitted in a recent interview he hasn't "learned or been taught the little secrets about being a wide receiver". What is it that Gordon needs to develop?

workdog3 said:
As it was pointed out to you in another thread, can you contain the anti-Kevin White content to Kevin White threads please?
I'm not the one to bring up White and I asked a valid question regarding White vs Gordon. Should I talk about White vs Gordon in the White thread? Are you here to express your being offended? Or are you here to discuss the players? Can you answer the question for Zyphros?

workdog3 said:
As it was pointed out to you in another thread, can you contain the anti-Kevin White content to Kevin White threads please?
I'm not the one to bring up White and I asked a valid question regarding White vs Gordon. Should I talk about White vs Gordon in the White thread? Are you here to express your being offended? Or are you here to discuss the players? Can you answer the question for Zyphros?
It was actually Cooper and White. Where's your vetting of his opinion on Cooper? And I did answer Zyphros question.

Speaking of which...

We get it, you hate White, does that have to leak into every thread someone mentions him? Just leave it alone.
Actually he mentions Cooper/White vs Gordon.

Cooper is a lot "safer" than White and I don't question if he'll translate to the NFL easier because it's very evident that his game is as polished as they come. White is a different story. So I don't get the logic in one saying they're more worried about Gordon translating when RBs need very little development left to thrive in the NFL.

We get it. You guys love White and get so offended that bad things can't be said about White.

You're not concerned about a WR who doesn't run good routes and who plays slow in his routes translating at a position where one needs to develop the most? He even admitted in a recent interview he hasn't "learned or been taught the little secrets about being a wide receiver". What is it that Gordon needs to develop?
I didn't answer because I didn't read the whole thing and assumed it was just all about White. I'm not going to talk about him. As for "What Gordon needs to develop" - He isn't a locked in a RB1 to me. He needs to work on catching the ball to be relevant at his cost otherwise he'd be a glorified Alfred Morris (not comparing styles, just value) as a late 1st round pick. Can he catch, sure he can but it isn't his strength. Obviously the o-line concerns that some people have is note worthy and the last time a "fantastic" RB prospect went in the 1st from a great o-line is Trent. Just words of caution to me that don't lock him into a #2 spot which is very likely where he is getting drafted. What Gordon did in college was outstanding, but with a worse o-line I have my concerns about him running inside and breaking tackles as well. All the little things that I do believe he will learn and become very good, but like I said before the undisputed #2? No. He's slipping behind Cooper/White for a reason.

For probably the 10th time in this thread, I do like Gordon, but he isn't as locked in as a top4 pick than the other 3 to me. I find I'm fighting myself over who to pick at 1.02. There is clearly a tier drop after the top4 (unless you put Parker in there then top5), so 4 is the lowest I see Gordon going and I wouldn't have any problem taking him there. It's just a battle for #2 and #3 that I think an argument can be made.

I didn't answer because I didn't read the whole thing and assumed it was just all about White. I'm not going to talk about him. As for "What Gordon needs to develop" - He isn't a locked in a RB1 to me. He needs to work on catching the ball to be relevant at his cost otherwise he'd be a glorified Alfred Morris (not comparing styles, just value) as a late 1st round pick. Can he catch, sure he can but it isn't his strength. Obviously the o-line concerns that some people have is note worthy and the last time a "fantastic" RB prospect went in the 1st from a great o-line is Trent. Just words of caution to me that don't lock him into a #2 spot which is very likely where he is getting drafted. What Gordon did in college was outstanding, but with a worse o-line I have my concerns about him running inside and breaking tackles as well. All the little things that I do believe he will learn and become very good, but like I said before the undisputed #2? No. He's slipping behind Cooper/White for a reason.

For probably the 10th time in this thread, I do like Gordon, but he isn't as locked in as a top4 pick than the other 3 to me. I find I'm fighting myself over who to pick at 1.02. There is clearly a tier drop after the top4 (unless you put Parker in there then top5), so 4 is the lowest I see Gordon going and I wouldn't have any problem taking him there. It's just a battle for #2 and #3 that I think an argument can be made.
Let's talk about White in the White thread then https://forums.footballguys.com/forum/index.php?/topic/718727-dynasty-kevin-white-west-virginia/?p=17917436

wow who are you considering? I have 1.1 and targeting rb and I think Im going with Gordon.

Rotoworld:

ESPN's Steve Muench compares Wisconsin RB Melvin Gordon III to Jamaal Charles.
"Gordon may have the biggest hands, but Murray and Forte were light years ahead of him in terms of their ability to make a difference on third down," Muench wrote. "The Wisconsin product compares more favorably to Mathews coming out in that regard, which isn't terrible, as Mathews has developed into an effective receiver. In terms of running style, Gordon doesn't have the same kind of top-end speed as Charles, but his vision, acceleration and ability to make the first defender miss remind me of the Chiefs' RB." John Parolin of the Stats & Information Group likens MGIII to DeMarco Murray, Ryan Mathews and Matt Forte. Gordon is within one inch and three pounds of all three. "Gordon's quickness (7.04 3-cone time) compares favorably to Mathews' (7.0) and is superior to Murray's (7.28)," Parolin wrote.

Apr 6 - 12:01 AM

Rotoworld:

Half of CBS Sports' four draft analysts mock Wisconsin RB Melvin Gordon III to the Chargers at No. 17 overall.

Chargers GM Tom Telesco claims he's fine with the trio of Danny Woodhead, Branden Oliver and Donald Brown, but nobody is buying that. "The Chargers seemed to pay extra attention to Gordon at his Pro Day," passed along Rob Rang, who is one of the writers mocking MGIII to San Diego. Dane Brugler is the other. "He might be the early favorite for offensive rookie of the year if he lands with the Chargers," Brugler wrote. Will Brinson mocked Todd Gurley to the Chargers. Frank Cooney believes Gordon is the best fit for the team. "Gordon, a slasher with speed and underrated hands, isn't as talented as Georgia's Todd Gurley but he's ready to contribute immediately, whereas the former Bulldogs' star availability remains in question due to his recovery from a torn ACL," Cooney wrote.

Source: CBS Sports

Apr 8 - 7:48 PM

Rotoworld:

Half of CBS Sports' four draft analysts mock Wisconsin RB Melvin Gordon III to the Chargers at No. 17 overall.

Chargers GM Tom Telesco claims he's fine with the trio of Danny Woodhead, Branden Oliver and Donald Brown, but nobody is buying that. "The Chargers seemed to pay extra attention to Gordon at his Pro Day," passed along Rob Rang, who is one of the writers mocking MGIII to San Diego. Dane Brugler is the other. "He might be the early favorite for offensive rookie of the year if he lands with the Chargers," Brugler wrote. Will Brinson mocked Todd Gurley to the Chargers. Frank Cooney believes Gordon is the best fit for the team. "Gordon, a slasher with speed and underrated hands, isn't as talented as Georgia's Todd Gurley but he's ready to contribute immediately, whereas the former Bulldogs' star availability remains in question due to his recovery from a torn ACL," Cooney wrote.

Wish people would get this through their heads - the Chargers do not need a RB badly enough to draft one in the 1st.

In 2010 the Chargers drafted a RB and passed on Earl Thomas, Maurkice Pouncey, DT, Dez and have regretted it ever since.

Agreed. There will be a good enough rb in the 3rd or 4th. SD needs better help than a rb

SI 64: Nos. 24-20: Erving, Green-Beckham, Gordon, Johnson, Williams

Excerpt:

22. Melvin Gordon, RB, WisconsinBio: Gordon established himself as a first-round draft prospect when he ran for an incredible 408 yards and four touchdowns against Nebraska last November, but he certainly wasn't a one-game wonder. The Badger gained an NCAA-best 2,587 yards and scored 29 touchdowns on the ground last season, and that was after a 1,609-yard, 12-touchdown season in 2013. In the right NFL system, Gordon has the potential to transcend the iffy history of transition seen by Wisconsin backs in recent years, but his ideal NFL team will have to understand that he's more a speed back than a true franchise-defining headbanger.

Strengths: Impressive speed to and through the hole. Accelerates to top speed quickly, which allows him to be very effective on draws and delays. Second gear has him moving smoothly pact linebackers and into the secondary in a big hurry. Has the speed and cutting ability to jump multiple gaps. Tremendous balance—doesn't lose his base when moving laterally; keeps his shoulders straight and the speed on. Home-run potential on nearly every play as long as he gets through an open gap at the line. Best as an outside rusher where he can utilize his acceleration to eat up huge chunks of yardage.

Weaknesses: Reportedly held to zero or negative yards on nearly 20 percent of his carries, and that shows up on tape. Gordon is a fairly big back (6'1", 215 pounds), but he's not a power player who will consistently break through the first line if gaps aren't open. Not creative enough to get out of trash after first contact—needs to use his vision better to get out of trouble. Breaks tackles with acceleration more than raw power. Runs too upright at times and loses leverage. Could get lost in the NFL unless he learns to take advantage of smaller and quicker-closing gaps. Benefited from a physical, imposing line in college, and may need that at the next level. Average receiver who will need to improve this aspect of his game as a professional. Fumbled multiple times down the stretch in the 2014 season.

Conclusion: While his lack of power and iffy pass-blocking will likely prevent him from getting every snap in a traditional sense, Gordon could be a tremendous asset in an offense where he's required to flare out of the backfield and get open in space, both as a runner and as a receiver. Like Charles in Kansas City, Gordon will be best-served by an NFL team that thinks outside the box—and prevents him from languishing in one.

Pro Comparison: Jamaal Charles, Chiefs (Round 3, 2008)

He's not your typical WI back, but wish he had a little more speed.

Gordon has good vision and moves and sets up blocks wellthat other WI backs did not.

Rotoworld:

SI's Peter King says Wisconsin RB Melvin Gordon won't get past the Ravens at No. 26 overall.
In other words, the Ravens are high on Gordon and willing to spend a premium pick at running back. It makes sense with 29-year-old Justin Forsett atop the depth chart and only Lorenzo Taliaferro/Fitz Toussaint behind him. Candidates to select Gordon before No. 26 include the Chargers at No. 17 and Cardinals at 24. The Cowboys, at No. 27, also have a major need at running back.

Related: Ravens

Source: SI.com
Apr 13 - 9:01 AM

Rotoworld:

NFL draft insider Tony Pauline reports the Cowboys are "very high" on Wisconsin RB Melvin Gordon and are "targeting him in round one."
We've been separately told Todd Gurley is Cowboys VP Stephen Jones' No. 1 running back in the draft, but no RB boards will be finalized until Gurley visits Indianapolis this weekend for his medical recheck. What has become clear is multiple running backs will be drafted in the first round this year after the position was bypassed on day one each of the last two years.

Related: Cowboys

Source: Tony Pauline on Twitter
Apr 13 - 2:28 PM

Is anyone concerned about his fathers rap sheet? Hate to judge a kid based on his father but his dad has cocaine charges and 3 DUI's.

Rotoworld:

NFLDraftScout.com's Frank Cooney writes that Wisconsin RB Melvin Gordon's "natural running ability is obvious and he is becoming comfortable as a receiver, which should make him a very potent weapon in the NFL."

"Gordon doesn't have the power to push many piles, is still refining the art of receiving and may need to find true north more quickly in the NFL, where dancing should be limited to the end zone," Cooney wrote. "But his natural abilities still make him a home-run threat whenever he touches the ball, such as those 17 runs of more than 40 yards last year." When asked if the running back position was devalued in the NFL, Gordon responded: "It's a passing game. It's hard to say if we're a devalued position. Teams are just going with the picks they actually need. I don't know the thoughts that's going through their head. Maybe they didn't feel the running backs the last couple of years were first-round talent. ... We just have to change that this year." TFY Draft Insider Tony Pauline recently reported the Cowboys are "very high" on MGIII and could target him in round 1.

Apr 13 - 10:04 PM

Rotoworld:

Per NFL Media's Ian Rapoport, Wisconsin RB Melvin Gordon III will visit the Dolphins next Wednesday.
MGIII not long ago returned from a visit with the Cowboys. In addition, the Ravens and Jags have hosted him, while the Panthers and Cardinals have worked him out. Gordon is likely to go in the first round. The Chargers, Lions, Cardinals and Cowboys are logical destinations and have all shown interest in the past month.

Source: Ian Rapoport on Twitter
Apr 14 - 6:57 PM

Rotoworld:

NFL Media analyst Charles Davis predicts that the Lions will take a running back in the first round.
Many analysts have mocked Detroit a defensive lineman in Round 1, but don't discount the possibility of a running back. That's because the team currently has Joique Bell and Theo Riddick sitting atop the depth chart. "I don't think Georgia's Todd Gurley, my No. 1-ranked RB, will be available when the Lions are on the clock at No. 23, but the No. 2 back in the draft, Wisconsin's Melvin Gordon, might be," Davis wrote. "Detroit already has a potent offense, but adding Gordon would take some pressure off of Matthew Stafford and Calvin Johnson and could make the unit even more explosive as it tries to keep pace with the likes of the Packers."

Source: NFL.com
Apr 14 - 5:50 PM

Rotoworld:

Cleveland Browns will have Wisconsin RB Melvin Gordon III in for a visit on Friday, according to Yahoo Sports Rand Getlin.
With the Browns set to bring in Melvin Gordon and Todd Gurley in for visits this week, the front office could be serious about bringing in a play-maker at running back or be setting up a smoke screen. With two first-round selections at No.12 and No.19, the Browns could hope that a RB-needy team is willing to trade up for their second selection. The Chargers, Lions, Cardinals and Cowboys have all shown interest in both Gordon and Gurley as of late.

Source: Rand Getlin on Twitter
Apr 14 - 3:27 PM

Rotoworld:

Wish people would get this through their heads - the Chargers do not need a RB badly enough to draft one in the 1st.

In 2010 the Chargers drafted a RB and passed on Earl Thomas, Maurkice Pouncey, DT, Dez and have regretted it ever since.
Bad enough to draft one in the first? Hard to say that about any team these days but they need a rb more than any team in the league. Brown and Oliver are horrible and Woodhead is a CoP back coming off injury.

Saw on ESPN today, that from a pure measurables standpoint Gordon = Ryan Mathews. That was the closest comp that they came up with. Would be semi-funny (at least to me) if they went that route.

Saw on ESPN today, that from a pure measurables standpoint Gordon = Ryan Mathews. That was the closest comp that they came up with. Would be semi-funny (at least to me) if they went that route.
I hate that we need to compare college guys to current players. I know college production doesn't equate to NFL success but I also know that Melvin Gordon is one of the best college players In the past 20 years. Certainly the best Badger of all time. He has the 2nd best season by a college RB of all time...only Barry Sanders had a better one. I'm confident Gordon will be a stud in the NFL.

Rotoworld:

Melvin Gordon - RB - Player
CSN Baltimore's Clifton Brown does not believe the Ravens will target a running back early in the draft.
"The Ravens may draft a running back," Brown said, "but probably not until the third round or later." SI's Peter King reported Wisconsin RB Melvin Gordon would not slip past the Ravens at No. 26 overall, but Brown does not believe either Gordon or Georgia RB Todd Gurley will be available when the Ravens pick in the first round. Justin Forsett and Lorenzo Taliaferro currently sit atop the Ravens depth chart.

Related: Todd Gurley

Source: CSN Baltimore
Apr 18 - 12:53 PM

I'd take gordon over gurley
How come? Want to know your thoughts
just watching clips, really.

I guess you could factor in the amazing production, but I liked him off the clips before I saw the production --- I don't follow college ball.

gordon seems plenty fast enough against his peers, but gurley seems to do a bit more of his damage based on speed, while gordon seems to have this whole package of quick feet through the hole, balance when getting hit, and vision to find daylight.

I'd be a little more concerned about speed translating to the nfl, not to mention assorted injuries slowing gurley down a bit.

he's obviously got the torn acl to recover from, then there were a couple injuries the prior year -- think it was a pulled quad and an ankle limiting him to 10 games.

meanwhile, gordon just reeled off 343 carries.

running, like everything else, is a team effort, and college stats are pretty garbage, but if we want to look at a couple common opponents, they each faced auburn :

2014 gurley 29/138/1 4.8 ypc (tore acl)

2013 gurley 15/79/1 5.3 ypc

2014 gordon 34/251/3 7.4 ypc (outback bowl)

players graduate, and all that, so comparing different years might not be fair, but gordon saw nebraska in 2014 and gurley caught them in 2013

2013 gurley 21/86/0 4.1 ypc

2014 gordon 25/408/4 16.3 ypc

louisiana state

2013 gurley 8/73/0 9.1 ypc

2014 gordon 16/140/1 8.8 ypc

south carolina

2014 gurley 20/131/1 6.6 ypc

2013 gurley 30/132/1 4.4 ypc

2013 gordon 25/143/0 5.7 ypc (capitol one bowl)

gurley was used more as a receiver, so I'll give him points on that, I suppose, and I understand wisconsin supposedly has this dominant line, and all that, but there were plenty of plays where gordon had to navigate traffic, keep his balance after getting hit,and still made big plays.

gurley seemed to be able to beat guys outside, or maybe just had the speed to catch a guy out of position, breaking arm tackles and outrunning the defense in open fields --- I'm not as confident that translates to the nfl as well as gordon's game.

I'd take gordon over gurley
boom!!

http://podcast.footballguys.com/2015/Footballguys-Audible-2015-Vol22a.mp3 28:10

THE Bryan Perez backin' me up --- says gordon makes gurley look like a pile of puke

:hifive:
Just listened to that podcast today. :hifive:

I'm not sure about the Gurley as a pile of puke but clearly had Gordon as his #1. Compared Gurley to Steve Jackson and had Gordon as an AP level super star.

Had Duke Johnson (I think) as his number 2 RB in the draft.

Rotoworld:

Wisconsin RB Melvin Gordon III led the nation in missed tackles forced but finished only No. 6 in CFF's Elusive Rating.

The metric tries to isolate a runner's ability from his OL by weighting missed tackles and yards after contact against the RB’s touches. It's for that reason that MGIII falls a bit, as he had 343 touches last year (compared to 123 for Todd Gurley, who finished No. 1). "How many highly drafted running backs should get second contracts? That is a question analytics directors and general managers must ask in determining how early to select runners with shorter career spans," wrote Mike Sando. "Gordon's Speed Score was fifth in this class of backs, well below the 110 for first-round backs over the past decade, Football Outsiders has noted."

Apr 22 - 8:16 PM

Users who are viewing this thread