What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Melvin Gordon, BAL (2 Viewers)

Injury was completely unrelated to other injuries -- just bad luck.  Wasn't even an intentional leg whip like the dude that ended the Eagles last play.  And Gordon looked good before he got hurt.

2-4 weeks is typical for these injuries.  If they win a couple games I could see them being conservative too -- making sure he's right for the playoffs.

Last edited by a moderator:
Injury was completely unrelated to other injuries -- just bad luck.  Wasn't even an intentional leg whip like the dude that ended the Eagles last play.  And Gordon looked good before he got hurt.

2-4 weeks is typical for these injuries.  If they win a couple games I could see them being conservative too -- making sure he's right for the playoffs.
It is undoubtedly related. If you arent performing at 100%, then something else is performing more than it typically does to make up for it. Which leads to movement dysfunction and a much greater chance for injury. It doesnt have to be the same knee, same tissue to be related. Regional Interdependence. 

I wasn't planning on needing him this coming week at Pittsburgh, but I really need him week 14 playing at home vs the Bengals.  Any shot of that?

It is undoubtedly related. If you arent performing at 100%, then something else is performing more than it typically does to make up for it. Which leads to movement dysfunction and a much greater chance for injury. It doesnt have to be the same knee, same tissue to be related. Regional Interdependence. 
I'm don't think you can say that for every injury. I don't think in this case it does, anyway.

I don't know why you guys are trying to figure out when he will be back when the MRI report is not in yet. Until then, you can assume whatever you want, one week, two weeks, whatever.

If you look at the play closely, his knee got bent inward so I doubt the tendons are not damaged or at least sprained enough for him to be out for a while. The MRI will tell the story. We should know today.

I don't know why you guys are trying to figure out when he will be back when the MRI report is not in yet. Until then, you can assume whatever you want, one week, two weeks, whatever.

If you look at the play closely, his knee got bent inward so I doubt the tendons are not damaged or at least sprained enough for him to be out for a while. The MRI will tell the story. We should know today.
There was a report that it was a grade 2 sprain and he will be out a few weeks. That's why we're speculating.

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/10284/melvin-gordon

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports Melvin Gordon will miss "the next few weeks" with a Grade 2 MCL sprain.

It is certainly not the worst-case scenario, but it is a tough blow for fantasy teams which have ridden Gordon into the playoffs. MCL sprains are usually at least two-week injuries, and it would not be surprising if the Chargers gave Gordon extra time to make sure he is ready for the playoffs. Austin Ekeler should be added in the around 30 percent of leagues he is available, and Justin Jackson is worth adding in deeper leagues. Nov 26 - 8:52 AM

Source: Ian Rapoport on Twitter

The actual Rapoport tweet said he had his MRI last night.

There was a report that it was a grade 2 sprain and he will be out a few weeks. That's why we're speculating.

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports Melvin Gordon will miss "the next few weeks" with a Grade 2 MCL sprain.

It is certainly not the worst-case scenario, but it is a tough blow for fantasy teams which have ridden Gordon into the playoffs. MCL sprains are usually at least two-week injuries, and it would not be surprising if the Chargers gave Gordon extra time to make sure he is ready for the playoffs. Austin Ekeler should be added in the around 30 percent of leagues he is available, and Justin Jackson is worth adding in deeper leagues. Nov 26 - 8:52 AM

Source: Ian Rapoport on Twitter
What Ian Rapoport reports doesn't mean anything until the MRI results are in.  Him saying Gordon will miss "the next few weeks" is pointless.  He isn't a doctor and training staff can't be accurate until they know the MRI results.  It may very well end up just as they said, a few weeks, but it is pointless to speculate without the MRI.

The actual Rapoport tweet said he had his MRI last night.
Well then, if Rapoport knows the results of the MRI already then I'm sure his report is golden, but I have my doubts he already knows this and I'm not convinced an MRI was done last night.  If it was and he knows the results, then good reporting from Rapoport.  If he's reporting "a few weeks and grade 2" without the MRI results, then that is not good reporting, even if it turns out to be 100% accurate.

Well then, if Rapoport knows the results of the MRI already then I'm sure his report is golden, but I have my doubts he already knows this and I'm not convinced an MRI was done last night.  If it was and he knows the results, then good reporting from Rapoport.
I'm just reporting a fact.

Wait, so you’re saying his knee/hamstring issues coming into the game were somehow related to the Cards defender grabbing onto another Charger and getting swung around so that his legs whipped into Gordon’s knee?

I tried. Just google it. All over the internet
Found it.

#Chargers star RB Melvin Gordon was diagnosed with a grade 2 MCL sprain suffered in yesterday’s blowout win, sources say. He had his MRI last night. Gordon is out the next few weeks, but should be back before the end of the regular season if all goes well.

I hope Rapaport truly knows the results and isn't speculating before an announcement.   I will need Gordon in week 16 should I make it that far.  I'm glad I only have him in one league now.

Undoubtedly? :rolleyes:  

Did you watch the play?
Yes I did. It was a fluke mechanism of injury but previous injury and fatigue can play a major role in injuries such as these. Not worth debating I suppose.

Bottom line is he could be back for week 15 or 16, but would anyone feel comfortable rolling him out there with the Championship on the line? I'm not sure I would. But it depends on your other options. If you make it to the Championship without him, then you can certainly win without him. Tough scenario. Would have been better, obviously, if this happened last week. Grade 2 is not very good. 

Wait, so you’re saying his knee/hamstring issues coming into the game were somehow related to the Cards defender grabbing onto another Charger and getting swung around so that his legs whipped into Gordon’s knee?
I only saw the reply once, but I thought Gordon was also in the air when his leg got hit.

Chargers will likely be playing KC for the division come week 15, only problem is that it is a Thursday night game so that may not be enough time for Gordon to be back fully healthy by then.

Honestly, unless the Chiefs collapse down the stretch, I see no reason to play Gordon again in the regular season unless he's 100%. Ekeler is a very good RB, and this team is making the playoffs already. Save Gordon for the playoffs, when he'll need to be used heavily. That'll suck for fantasy owners who didn't handcuff Ekeler, but its likely the smart Chargers decision.

Its a real shame though, as I personally felt Gordon was the best RB in the NFL so far this year, yes even better than Gurley from an NFL standpoint. That said, I expect a whole lot of people are going to see how good Austin Ekeler is too. Fully expecting low-end RB1 numbers from him while Gordon is out. On par with guys like Michel or A.Jones.

Honestly, unless the Chiefs collapse down the stretch, I see no reason to play Gordon again in the regular season unless he's 100%. Ekeler is a very good RB, and this team is making the playoffs already. Save Gordon for the playoffs, when he'll need to be used heavily. That'll suck for fantasy owners who didn't handcuff Ekeler, but its likely the smart Chargers decision.

Its a real shame though, as I personally felt Gordon was the best RB in the NFL so far this year, yes even better than Gurley from an NFL standpoint. That said, I expect a whole lot of people are going to see how good Austin Ekeler is too. Fully expecting low-end RB1 numbers from him while Gordon is out. On par with guys like Michel or A.Jones.
Maybe, but he wasn’t that impressive as the RB1 when Gordon was out earlier this year.  I think he’s a fine RB, but it sure if he’s suited for the main RB role.

Maybe, but he wasn’t that impressive as the RB1 when Gordon was out earlier this year.  I think he’s a fine RB, but it sure if he’s suited for the main RB role.
That was in a London game(which are always a little wacky) against a top run defense. With the Steelers, Bengals and Chiefs the next 3 games, there is some blow up potential.

ETA: Over that stretch of games, the only RB's I'd for sure rather have are: McCaffrey, Chubb, Elliott, Gurley, Kamara, and Barkley. I'd put Ekeler in the same tier as guys like D.Johnson, Mixon, A.Jones, Fournette, Hunt, and Connor.

Past my league's trade deadline and there's ####-all on the WW.  Will try to pick up Jackson or Newsome in case they get a big role; otherwise it's Frank Gore or I start WR/TE in that slot. (because I know you all care about my team) 

Past my league's trade deadline and there's ####-all on the WW.  Will try to pick up Jackson or Newsome in case they get a big role; otherwise it's Frank Gore or I start WR/TE in that slot. (because I know you all care about my team) 
I think that's the issue with Ekeler as a guy you could start independently of Gordon. Other teams wanted him not just as a handcuff but as a flex player sometimes. I was able to draft him and other guys wanted to trade for him for as a Gordon owner there was no way I would do that.

Luckily, I have Ekeler to get me by because there is also garbage on my waiver wire, especially in terms of RB.

This really sucks as no matter what Ekeler does is he not close to the beast Gordon is.  Gordon was a threat to go to the house on every play and get 100 on the ground and through the air.  Ekeler will get receptions galore in some games like yesterday and the occasional TD but in some games he'll be the passing decoy and the Chargers won't be able to run (wouldn't count on 30 yards on the ground at Pittsburgh).  My bet is Rivers chucks it 40+ times vs Pittsburgh, Cincy and KC the next 3 weeks.  The Chargers will lose 2 of the 3.  They'll be 9-5 heading to their week 16 game against Baltimore which becomes an important game as week 17 is no slam dunk at Denver.  They'll likely target Gordon to be back by week 16 if possible.  KC is a short week as others have said.  That Raven game will be key unless the math says 9-7 gets them in. Unfortunately that's not until the FF Superbowl and not a great matchup at that. 

Hes not...he wont do much vs pitt...he will light up cincy....and vs kc in the road hes a good ppr play....but im not expecting rb1 stud numbers

I think Ekeler might actually have a good yardage game vs. PIT. Philip Lindsey had a good game yesterday against PIT with Tuitt out.
Agreed, don't know why Pittsburgh is considered a bad matchup for Ekeler at all. The Steelers have been bleeding fantasy points to RB's. The only starting RB they've really shut down in the last 6 games is Alex Collins, and even he had a TD. They've been especially bad the last 3 games against Lindsay, Fournette, and McCaffrey. There is no reason Ekeler can't have the game Lindsay just had, plus more receiving.

Agreed, don't know why Pittsburgh is considered a bad matchup for Ekeler at all. The Steelers have been bleeding fantasy points to RB's. The only starting RB they've really shut down in the last 6 games is Alex Collins, and even he had a TD. They've been especially bad the last 3 games against Lindsay, Fournette, and McCaffrey. There is no reason Ekeler can't have the game Lindsay just had, plus more receiving.
Agreed. Sad because Gordon would have had a field day I feel but as I stated, Ekeler should do well I would think.

The Chargers have confirmed that Melvin Gordon is dealing with an MCL sprain and is week to week.

Gordon will miss this week's game trip to Pittsburgh and almost certainly Week 13 against the Bengals. It's entirely possible he's sidelined for the remainder of the regular season, though that does not appear to be the most likely outcome right now. Austin Ekeler will lead the Chargers' committee in Gordon's absence with seventh-round rookie Justin Jackson mixing in. Nov 26 - 1:46 PM

Source: Field Yates on Twitter

...I see no reason to play Gordon again in the regular season unless he's 100%. Ekeler is a very good RB, and this team is making the playoffs already.
Still on the schedule...

@ PIT

@ KCC

v BAL

@ DEN

No lock for Chargers to make the post season... very crowded wildcard field right now.

The Chargers have confirmed that Melvin Gordon is dealing with an MCL sprain and is week to week.

Gordon will miss this week's game trip to Pittsburgh and almost certainly Week 13 against the Bengals. It's entirely possible he's sidelined for the remainder of the regular season, though that does not appear to be the most likely outcome right now. Austin Ekeler will lead the Chargers' committee in Gordon's absence with seventh-round rookie Justin Jackson mixing in. Nov 26 - 1:46 PM

Source: Field Yates on Twitter
I assume that's a typo.  That's the week 14 game.

Still on the schedule...

@ PIT

@ KCC

v BAL

@ DEN

No lock for Chargers to make the post season... very crowded wildcard field right now.
Agreed.  At this point it's safe to say that KC has an easier schedule going forward (they play the Raiders this week, too).  So I'm not sure they can catch the division title, they'll be fighting for a wildcard.  Say they lose at Pitt, they will be 8-4.  Baltimore, Indy, and the Broncos are all on multi game win streaks. 

That was in a London game(which are always a little wacky) against a top run defense. With the Steelers, Bengals and Chiefs the next 3 games, there is some blow up potential.

ETA: Over that stretch of games, the only RB's I'd for sure rather have are: McCaffrey, Chubb, Elliott, Gurley, Kamara, and Barkley. I'd put Ekeler in the same tier as guys like D.Johnson, Mixon, A.Jones, Fournette, Hunt, and Connor.
The field was terrible as well. Ekeler struggled with his footing the entire game. He didn't look like the same player when he was trying to make cuts.

So I've been bummed out this week because I don't have Ekeler on my roster as a cuff for Gordon.  And someone snagged Justin Jackson one spot ahead of me this week.  

I actually could have had Jackson a few weeks ago but had him as my second choice that week behind

wait for it

Spencer Ware, who's now ready to step right in to my lineup. :lmao: this ####in' hobby

heckmanm said:
So I've been bummed out this week because I don't have Ekeler on my roster as a cuff for Gordon.  And someone snagged Justin Jackson one spot ahead of me this week.  

I actually could have had Jackson a few weeks ago but had him as my second choice that week behind

wait for it

Spencer Ware, who's now ready to step right in to my lineup. :lmao: this ####in' hobby
Lol clutch. The Chargers are talking like Ek will be near bellcow duty so I'm not sure Jackson would be a strong play anyway. Guess you lucked out.

heckmanm said:

wait for it

I've won a few titles based on me not getting the guy I really wanted and having to settle for somebody else.  The year Calvin Johnson set the receiving records I had him as the third WR on my draft board and the #2 guy went one spot ahead of me.  Pure genius move on my part.  😀

Same thing when I got stuck with Peyton Hillis the year he went off - I was second in the waiver order.  Same thing with Patrick Mahomes this year - I fully intended to draft the Ravens DST at that spot, but they went 2 picks earlier.  I don't normally draft two QB's, and already had Stafford, but as a Bills fan, I figured if the Bills traded away the chance to draft him, he has to be good, so might as well take a shot.

I know my luck has to run out some day, but I'm enjoying the ride while it lasts.

Well he's officially out now. Can any local guys chime in with anything?  Did he do anything or make any progress?

Looks like next week might be tough to count on him as well. 

Users who are viewing this thread