What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Melvin Gordon, BAL (1 Viewer)

If he sits out does he still get to hit FA as scheduled? I remember from the Josh Gordon stuff that he’s been on his rookie contact for forever with all the suspensions. Is a holdout different?
I don't know if it's different with a rookie contract or because it was the franchise tag but didn't we learn from the Lev Bell situation that you don't have to show up at all and you can still hit free agency?

Last edited by a moderator:
And if you hold out but are under contract you’re considered on the roster? Or not? Bell wasn’t on the roster because he wouldn’t sign his franchise tag I think which would be different.
No you have to play the 6 games to accure the year...vincent jackson reported after week10 that one season...

Melvin Gordon's agent said there is a "strong possibility" his client will hold out into the season barring a new contract or trade.

Gordon is not holding back as he looks to pressure the Chargers into a new contract -- Adam Schefter previously reported Gordon will skip training camp and demand a trade if he does not get a new deal. Of course, Gordon's agent admits there is still a long way to go before Week 1, and he hopes something will get worked out prior to training camp. Gordon is currently scheduled to earn $5.6 million in the fifth and final year of his rookie contract.

SOURCE: Tom Pelissero on Twitter

Jul 11, 2019, 10:58 AM ET

Gotta be honest here, I'll be surprised if he doesn't end up traded.
To where?? Most teams have their rb situation....no team will give up assets plus pay gordon....

I know what the chargers mo was under aj smith.....lets see how telesco handles this...i have a feeling the chargers make a take it or leave it offer... and gordon leaves it....

Oh i agree rbs have no leverage....i want the chargers to win game....melvin when healthy helps them do that....ekeler isnt a lead dog...infact imo justin jackson looked better especially vs pitt last year
I agree its better to have Gordon than not have Gordon, but I like Ekeler a lot more than you do it seems. I think he's capable of being a 250 touch(say 175 carries and 75 catches) guy. I disagree that Jackson looked better. He played better in the Steelers game, although almost all his work came in the 2nd half, but Ekeler firmly outplayed him in the other games Gordon missed, and was far more effective in the passing game. 

I thought they were working on an extension....he must not like where it was going....dude cant stay on the field...however they need him...ekler n jj are jags
I hope the Chargers don't cave. As far as I'm concerned, he can hold out for the entire season, and he will just hurt himself in the same way Bell hurt himself. The Chargers are good enough to win without Gordon IMO, and I do not want to see them give him a contract to his satisfaction.

I hope the Chargers don't cave. As far as I'm concerned, he can hold out for the entire season, and he will just hurt himself in the same way Bell hurt himself. The Chargers are good enough to win without Gordon IMO, and I do not want to see them give him a contract to his satisfaction.
I disagree....ekeler looked great as a #2 option tearing up bad arizona san fran and bills teams last year after gordon softened them up...i want to win a gd superbowl and the best way to do that is to have melvin as ur starting rb

If he doesn't, I think the Chargers will be just fine as long as Ekeler and Jackson stay healthy.
Yes, and it is also worth noting that they have another RB who has also looked good - Detrez Newsome. IMO Ekeler, Newsome, and Jackson would be a great trio, and the Chargers wouldn't miss a beat as long as they stay healthy.

To where?? Most teams have their rb situation....no team will give up assets plus pay gordon....

I know what the chargers mo was under aj smith.....lets see how telesco handles this...i have a feeling the chargers make a take it or leave it offer... and gordon leaves it....
100% agree with the bolded.

Teams that could have interest are Houston, Miami, and Tampa Bay. Tampa actually makes a world of sense, as Gordon feels like he'd be a guy Arians would love, and he's not likely to be on a 5-year plan in his late 60's. Houston fancies themselves a contender, and Lamar Miller is in a contract year(highly unlikely to be brought back) and Foreman is a major question mark. Miami would be more from a butts in the seat perspective, and a take pressure off a young QB, Rosen this year, and maybe someone else next. 

Maybe Buffalo, though that would need to be followed by likely 2 of McCoy, Gore, and Yeldon being cut. 

Yes, and it is also worth noting that they have another RB who has also looked good - Detrez Newsome. IMO Ekeler, Newsome, and Jackson would be a great trio, and the Chargers wouldn't miss a beat as long as they stay healthy.
Eh I mean the Chargers system/Rivers very well could get good production from that trio and continue to win but in no way is the trio going to be considered great. They’d be one of the lesser proven/worst units in the league.

As a 1st round pick playing on a 5th year option, Melvin Gordon will be subject to a fine of 1 week's regular season salary for each preseason game missed ($329,706 per game) in addition to the daily fine during a holdout.

Eh I mean the Chargers system/Rivers very well could get good production from that trio and continue to win but in no way is the trio going to be considered great. They’d be one of the lesser proven/worst units in the league.
The Chargers were 4-0 in games Gordon missed last season, including road/neutral wins over TEN and PIT, and 9-5 in games he played. They will be just fine without him.

This is what I posted a while ago in another forum about Melvin:

Melvin is somewhat of an enigma imo. His numbers are definitely inflated by system, QB, and goal line opportunities. As I type that I realize that most RB's these days are, but honestly it is rare to see Gordon running amok against a defense . He's truly a product of an offensive plan that puts him in position to excel. Put him on any other team and I'd think we'd see lower numbers and his fall from elite (?) to mediocre . Rivers' understanding of where he should be and his delivery on every pass puts him where he is. LT was different. By a lot.

Good, that means the Chargers have taken an appropriate position on this, at least so far.
They may have taken the appropriate position, but they didn't make the appropriate actions.

Keep in mind this team passed on Justice Hill to draft "Trey Pipkins". Nevermind the fact that they passed on both Cajusted and Evans even if they were going the OL route. They should have been deep into negotiations at that time since Gordon wanted to see what Bell got. If negotiations were going as poorly as they are being portrayed right now then they should have drafted SOMEBODY even if it wasn't a guy as high as Justice Hill. Mike Weber went in the 7th. Trayveon Williams went in the 6th. There were also backs that went undrafted that could have helped them and would have complimented a pairing of Ekler/(drafted rookie). For instance Holyfield for the short yardage work. Those three would be more than serviceable.

Of course I have always felt Gordon was more of a fantasy-football-fagazi in the first place. The FF community THINKS Gordon is better than he is based on sheer workload alone. I will admit I didn't see him being as big a contributor to the passing game as he eventually became, but he has never looked like a Gurley/Elliot type back drafted at the top half of the 1st round to me. His whole career just screams volume back. He looks a lot more like a Fournette to me and honestly, if they had the chance to trade him straight up for Fornette they should do that in a heartbeat.

They may have taken the appropriate position, but they didn't make the appropriate actions.

Keep in mind this team passed on Justice Hill to draft "Trey Pipkins". Nevermind the fact that they passed on both Cajusted and Evans even if they were going the OL route. They should have been deep into negotiations at that time since Gordon wanted to see what Bell got. If negotiations were going as poorly as they are being portrayed right now then they should have drafted SOMEBODY even if it wasn't a guy as high as Justice Hill. Mike Weber went in the 7th. Trayveon Williams went in the 6th. There were also backs that went undrafted that could have helped them and would have complimented a pairing of Ekler/(drafted rookie). For instance Holyfield for the short yardage work. Those three would be more than serviceable.

Of course I have always felt Gordon was more of a fantasy-football-fagazi in the first place. The FF community THINKS Gordon is better than he is based on sheer workload alone. I will admit I didn't see him being as big a contributor to the passing game as he eventually became, but he has never looked like a Gurley/Elliot type back drafted at the top half of the 1st round to me. His whole career just screams volume back. He looks a lot more like a Fournette to me and honestly, if they had the chance to trade him straight up for Fornette they should do that in a heartbeat.
While true.....melvin hovered around 3.9 a carry....in 2018 he averaged over 5.0...very efficient and had several long tds.....

Sign ajayi.....let him hold out

While true.....melvin hovered around 3.9 a carry....in 2018 he averaged over 5.0...very efficient and had several long tds.....

Sign ajayi.....let him hold out
If it wasn't for that 2018 season, it would be laughable that the team would even consider giving him a deal approaching what Bell got. I don't really think ANY RB deserves that type of deal in a passing league by the NFL but at least you could argue that a Zeke Elliot or a Gurley before the knee issue was the "tractor and not the trailer". Before 2018 I would argue Gordon was the mudflaps, barely a part of the trailer. Yeah, they made the whole trip.... well, almost..... but he just soaked up whatever touches were given to him. Nobody thought the Patriots would give Blount big money after his best season with the Patriots either.

I agree with you, let him hold-out but they could have put them in a much better position to live without Gordon to be sure. I don't think it would take much to trade for Gio Bernard given CIN was smart and drafted his replacement(TWO of them) BEFORE they needed to. A new regime in CIN would jump at the chance to gain a day 3 pick. Bernard also is paid more than Mixon/Williams/Anderson combined.

I wouldn't be surprised if NE would take a draft pick for Rex Burkhead. I don't hate Ajayi but I don't think he fits the offense nearly as well as a Bernard/Burkhead. If they were going to go that route I wish they would have pulled the PHI move of swapping a 6th for a 7th and getting Howard on his rookie deal $. Just seems like it was mis-handled which is SHOCKING for a Spanos run team. Just shocking.

I disagree with many in this thread. Eventually, they will give Gordon too much money because it will keep around one of telesco's "successful" picks. Same reason they over payed Perryman. Most people don't like to admit their mistakes.

I never disputed that. You said the trio of Ekeler, Jackson, and Newsome was great when really they’d be considered bottom of the barrel around the league.
The Chargers offense makes RBs look better than most offenses around the league, mainly because of Rivers. So it doesn't really matter much if they would be considered bottom of the barrel around the league. I'm also not sure that is true, anyway.

I agree with you, let him hold-out but they could have put them in a much better position to live without Gordon to be sure. I don't think it would take much to trade for Gio Bernard given CIN was smart and drafted his replacement(TWO of them) BEFORE they needed to. A new regime in CIN would jump at the chance to gain a day 3 pick. Bernard also is paid more than Mixon/Williams/Anderson combined.

I wouldn't be surprised if NE would take a draft pick for Rex Burkhead. I don't hate Ajayi but I don't think he fits the offense nearly as well as a Bernard/Burkhead. If they were going to go that route I wish they would have pulled the PHI move of swapping a 6th for a 7th and getting Howard on his rookie deal $. Just seems like it was mis-handled which is SHOCKING for a Spanos run team. Just shocking.
What makes Bernard (today) or Burkhead better than Ekeler and Jackson? I don't see that.

I disagree with many in this thread. Eventually, they will give Gordon too much money because it will keep around one of telesco's "successful" picks. Same reason they over payed Perryman. Most people don't like to admit their mistakes.
I don't think Bernard, Burkhead, or Ajayi, are better than Ekeler. All of them also have trouble staying healthy as well. Maybe my head is in the sand, but I think the Charger think very highly of Ekeler, and that is why, whether they saw this coming or not, they are highly unlikely to make any panic moves.  In the 3 games Ekeler started last season, he got 17, 18, and 17 touches, that would come out to 277 over the course of the season, which is probably slightly on the high side, but 250 is doable. 

I see no reason they couldn't go with Ekeler, Jackson and Newsome, and have the cheapest RB core in the league. Then spend their FA money next year on Rivers, Henry, and maybe extending Bosa a year early. 

I don't think Bernard, Burkhead, or Ajayi, are better than Ekeler. All of them also have trouble staying healthy as well. Maybe my head is in the sand, but I think the Charger think very highly of Ekeler, and that is why, whether they saw this coming or not, they are highly unlikely to make any panic moves.  In the 3 games Ekeler started last season, he got 17, 18, and 17 touches, that would come out to 277 over the course of the season, which is probably slightly on the high side, but 250 is doable. 

I see no reason they couldn't go with Ekeler, Jackson and Newsome, and have the cheapest RB core in the league. Then spend their FA money next year on Rivers, Henry, and maybe extending Bosa a year early. 
:goodposting:  

And, on that last part, I made this post several weeks ago about the Chargers 2020 cap. They really can't afford to pay Gordon anything close to what he wants. At least not if they are planning to have Rivers around beyond this season.

Melvin Gordon's agent said there is a "strong possibility" his client will hold out into the season barring a new contract or trade.

Gordon is not holding back as he looks to pressure the Chargers into a new contract -- Adam Schefter previously reported Gordon will skip training camp and demand a trade if he does not get a new deal. Of course, Gordon's agent admits there is still a long way to go before Week 1, and he hopes something will get worked out prior to training camp. Gordon is currently scheduled to earn $5.6 million in the fifth and final year of his rookie contract.

SOURCE: Tom Pelissero on Twitter

Jul 11, 2019, 10:58 AM ET
Does he think this hurts the chargers? Saves them money and keeps him fresh for the back half of the season. They can win 10 to 12 games without him.

Ugh. I have him on my roster for just this year yet in a contract league.  Was hoping to be nicely set at RB with him and CMC with Guice in the wings.

I know, nobody cares about my FF team, but GD it anyway.

unfortunately desperate teams like the Jets screw it up for everybody every once in awhile and sign RB's to these big contracts and then the second/third/fourth level guys think they can get theirs too.....you would think the RB's would start to understand that really across the board, the league is devaluing their position so they should take whatever the best deal is they can get....Bell might have had the resume to do the dance, but there are only a few others that could do it in today's NFL IMO....I have never been a big Gordon guy in FF (probably to my detriment sometimes, but I never felt I really missed out on him)......I think LAC may be at that point a little too....even though once again they are the media's preseason paper darling to win the West.....I could see LAC calling is bluff and making do for a few weeks, and if they win coming out of the gate, they can stand pat.....if they lose a few and the running game looks bad, maybe it swings Gordon's way, but honestly I think both sides will give a little and they will work something out......Gordon doesn't have the "juice" to walk away from $5 mil this year thinking he can make it up later....

Just Win Baby said:
The Chargers offense makes RBs look better than most offenses around the league, mainly because of Rivers. So it doesn't really matter much if they would be considered bottom of the barrel around the league. I'm also not sure that is true, anyway.
Really? So the Chargers are just so loaded at rb that they can lose their bellcow yet still have enough talent at rb to be league average or so with their backups (a 7th rounder and 2 UDFAs). Come on man. It doesn’t matter how good you think the system will make any back look, more talent is always better. Look at the Pats. They make James White look good in their system. Now imagine if it were Kamara in that role. Think that’d be a little better? 

Really? So the Chargers are just so loaded at rb that they can lose their bellcow yet still have enough talent at rb to be league average or so with their backups (a 7th rounder and 2 UDFAs). Come on man. It doesn’t matter how good you think the system will make any back look, more talent is always better. Look at the Pats. They make James White look good in their system. Now imagine if it were Kamara in that role. Think that’d be a little better? 
The point is that it doesn't really matter because they're winning SB's without Kamara and with White. You're kinda making the guy's point for him. 

And yes count me as one who thinks the Chargers easily scrounge together league average RB production without Gordon, if they need to. 

travdogg said:
I don't think Bernard, Burkhead, or Ajayi, are better than Ekeler.
I completely agree. I'm not sure how that is related to having Bernard, Burkhead, or Ajayi on the roster. I think any team would be stupid to think any ONE of those guys is all that they need for the entire season at RB. All those guys on the list seem like RBBC guys to me. Maybe I'm crazy.

Maybe I'm also just confused which players people are talking about. Detrez Newsome has 11 career carries and was undrafted from Western Carolina. Justin Jackson was drafted in the 7th round with the 251st pick in the draft(mister irrelevant was 5 picks later) and has 50 career carries. I would take Bernard, Burkhead, or Ajayi over either of them in a heartbeat. Heck, I would rather have Elija Holyfield, who was undrafted, because at least we don't know yet whether he will earn less than 50 carries in his rookie season. 

Somehow I feel like some of the people that think they don't need anyone other than Ekeler are the same people that told me for years that they didn't need to draft a center because they had a guy on the roster with a "C" next to their name. So the problem was solved. Sometimes those names at the bottom of your roster are just FA fodder. Is it more likely Newzome eclipses a dozen carries this year(a career high!) or doesn't even make the roster?

It doesn’t matter how good you think the system will make any back look, more talent is always better. Look at the Pats. They make James White look good in their system. Now imagine if it were Kamara in that role. Think that’d be a little better? 
Who was the highest paid RB on the SuperBowl champion Patriots? If Gordon walks at the end of next season and becomes a FA, what is the probability that the Patriots would give Gordon that shiny new contract? Is that because they are smart, or a poorly run football team?

The point is that it doesn't really matter because they're winning SB's without Kamara and with White. You're kinda making the guy's point for him. 

And yes count me as one who thinks the Chargers easily scrounge together league average RB production without Gordon, if they need to. 
I think you’re missing my point then. I’m not arguing that they should pay Melvin or need him to win a Super Bowl. They can allocate their money differently and that’s fine and not the point at all. My sole point is that the trio of Ekeler, Jackson, and Newsome isn’t “great”. Its a subpar backfield on paper. And they can certainly get league average production from them because of Rivers and the system and the guys around them on offense. Not disputing that. Again my point is from a talent perspective that group would start 2019 as a bottom tier backfield. If you’d like to take the opposite stance on that then tell me which backfields you think have less talent. 

Who was the highest paid RB on the SuperBowl champion Patriots? If Gordon walks at the end of next season and becomes a FA, what is the probability that the Patriots would give Gordon that shiny new contract? Is that because they are smart, or a poorly run football team?
See above. That’s not my point. I’m talking about talent and disputed the guy’s original take that the trio minus Gordon is great. I’m not arguing to pay Melvin.

See above. That’s not my point. I’m talking about talent and disputed the guy’s original take that the trio minus Gordon is great. I’m not arguing to pay Melvin.
Yeah, I agree with your point about the "trio".

Ekeler is a nice piece of a RBBC but those other two guys are no-name stiffs for all we know. Anyone claiming those other two guys anything more or that have their hopes and dreams tied to exhibition game tape. Well, that and tape of Western Carolina highlights. If NFL defenses see a sharp influx of Furman LB's that tape could come in handy.

Dont compare the pats voodoo to anyone else....it makes no sense

Call me crazy but there is literally nothing special about gordon...
Now he's not in the Elliot, Gurley, Barkley, Kamara tier but this is a ridiculous statement.  Gordon is a talented cat who is definitely an excellent RB in this league. Now with his injury history and how the RB has been devalued over the years it's fair to argue he's not worth a new multi-year contract.  That's more than fair and probably accurate but the Chargers offense would take a bit of a hit without him despite what you all seem to think.

Really? So the Chargers are just so loaded at rb that they can lose their bellcow yet still have enough talent at rb to be league average or so with their backups (a 7th rounder and 2 UDFAs). Come on man.
You said this. I assumed you meant could their production be league average, so I said yes, which it turns out you agree with, bolded below:

My sole point is that the trio of Ekeler, Jackson, and Newsome isn’t “great”. Its a subpar backfield on paper. And they can certainly get league average production from them because of Rivers and the system and the guys around them on offense. Not disputing that. Again my point is from a talent perspective that group would start 2019 as a bottom tier backfield. 
So that's my bad. What it seems you were referring to in terms of "could they be league average" is this concept of talent. Where would they be ranked on a list of NFL backfield talent if there was one. And I guess you're right that without Gordon everyone would agree they don't have a very talented backfield, but would they care if they were still squeezing production out of it? 

Look at the Eagles and Ravens the last couple years. Guys like Alex Collins, Gus Johnson, Buck Allen in the receiving game...Corey Coleman, Josh Adams etc. Elijah McGuire in NY. These guys are all basically zeros talent wise who all quickly became potentially exciting waiver wire finds in dynasty bc when given touches, they produced. I'm not even talking about late round hits like Phillip Lindsay, I'm talking about JAGs who were just good enough when called upon. Good enough that people thought they might have some sort of NFL future. That's how replaceable the RB position is.

Yes, very talented RBs can challenge that. If they don't or can't pay Gordon, then the Chargers obviously will be coming to terms with not having sexy talent at the position. And yet they'll still produce, so...does it matter? There's decent RBBC level talent available in FA right now if they aren't completely happy post-Gordon, but it's not so much better than what they have that it makes their RB room significantly more talented imo. 

You said this. I assumed you meant could their production be league average, so I said yes, which it turns out you agree with, bolded below:

So that's my bad. What it seems you were referring to in terms of "could they be league average" is this concept of talent. Where would they be ranked on a list of NFL backfield talent if there was one. And I guess you're right that without Gordon everyone would agree they don't have a very talented backfield, but would they care if they were still squeezing production out of it? 

Look at the Eagles and Ravens the last couple years. Guys like Alex Collins, Gus Johnson, Buck Allen in the receiving game...Corey Coleman, Josh Adams etc. Elijah McGuire in NY. These guys are all basically zeros talent wise who all quickly became potentially exciting waiver wire finds in dynasty bc when given touches, they produced. I'm not even talking about late round hits like Phillip Lindsay, I'm talking about JAGs who were just good enough when called upon. Good enough that people thought they might have some sort of NFL future. That's how replaceable the RB position is.

Yes, very talented RBs can challenge that. If they don't or can't pay Gordon, then the Chargers obviously will be coming to terms with not having sexy talent at the position. And yet they'll still produce, so...does it matter? There's decent RBBC level talent available in FA right now if they aren't completely happy post-Gordon, but it's not so much better than what they have that it makes their RB room significantly more talented imo. 
Sorry that wasn’t clear. Yes I meant talent. A good qb or system or team situation can get more production out of middling talent. I’d add though that if a team can get average production out of middling talent, then wouldn’t you think they could get good or elite production out of better talent? Again not advocating for paying Melvin or for teams throwing money at every productive running back. But it certainly helps a team to have better talent at that position. From there they can determine how much and is it worth it.

Sure the teams you mentioned along with the Pats mentioned before have gotten production from some no name guys. And in the past couple years they’ve tried to upgrade that talent. The Ravens threw big money at Bell but missed then settled on Ingram for 15 mill, and drafted Hill in the 4th. They could have sat on Collins, Dixon, Edwards because they produced in the system. But a better talent could produce more. The Eagles used a 2nd on Sanders. The Pats used a first on Sony.

BoltBacker said:

Why would Weber, Williams, or Holyfield be any better of an option than Justin Jackson?  They all have similar draft capital.  Don't get stuck in the trap of thinking that because some FFers thought these guys were going to be day 2 picks 8 months before the draft, that the NFL thinks they're any better than the 6th/7th round prospects that they and Jackson are.

Users who are viewing this thread