Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
gianmarco

***Official Melvin "Flash" Gordon*** Thread of Love

14 minutes ago, Judge Smails said:

We are playing golf at 9am Thursday then drafting.  14 of us (2 teams with co-owners). 20 + year league. 

I bet you slice into the woods, $100

/Dangerfield

• Like 3
  • Laughing 1

So sounds like he turned down $10 M. a year. Assuming he’s a free agent next year will anyone pay more than that?

7 hours ago, DJackson10 said:
10 hours ago, simey said:

My 21 year old money league always has the draft the weekend before labor day, which is preseason week 3. It is a live draft full of old friends, and three of the guys are coming from three different states. Most drafters have families, and doing it on labor day weekend is out of the question. It isn't a perfect world, and it is the best we can do to get it as close as we can to the regular season. To not understand and say it makes zero sense to have drafts before this weekend seems out of touch with the reality that people have lives that can't be perfect with a draft time.

I had a few guys who are in a league since HS do a draft. My one friend lives in China and had to Live Skype for the draft at 5:30 in the morning. People can complain about family stuff and all being the issue but this guy literally had a time zone disadvantage working against him. 

I wasn't complaining. I was simply stating why we do our draft every year the weekend before labor day weekend. Not one person in our league complains about when we do our draft. It is a time we can all see each other in person, have fun, and draft our players. This year was actually very sentimental. One of the teams has two owners, and one of the owners unexpectedly died at the end of June. There were tears, and laughter too reminiscing on stories of our dear departed long time friend. It is more about being together than it is getting the best players. We don't get to see the guys that live out of state (Florida, Georgia, and Virginia) often, so it is nice that we get together same time every year here in NC. Anyway, this thread is about Melvin Gordon, and I didn't draft him. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, stlrams said:

Been a ffl commission for about 30 years and still don’t understand early drafts.  You do it bad...

Players can get hurt in Week 1 games also. As far as players holding out, that’s a relatively new phenomenon and it adds a bit of strategy (risk v reward). Is it ideal, probably not, but people do what they have to do. We have always tried to keep out draft date stable (The Saturday before Labor Day Weekend) - but we have had a four year stretch where it was the Saturday right before Week 1 Sunday kickoff. 

Im fairly certain a weeknight would not work for my guys and frankly the was we do the draft I wouldn’t want that. We meet up at around 11:30 am, start the draft around 12:30, take a break in the middle to BBQ, resume drafting and hang out for hours after we’re done. Fantasy Football is important but for me a large part of that is draft day. You like three hours in a bar, with people having to work the next day, we like 10+ hours at a beach house with drinks and BBQ and some poker afterwards.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Hot Sauce Guy said:

Unless Gordon decides to play week. 1

;) 

Gordon was drafted, just not as high as he would have been.  Same as Zeke as you don`t want your first rd pick missing half or the whole season.

5 minutes ago, Da Guru said:

Gordon was drafted, just not as high as he would have been.  Same as Zeke as you don`t want your first rd pick missing half or the whole season.

There isn’t any more clarity on Zekes situation today than there was a week ago - if anything it seems more likely he’ll be there Week 1 then is did then.

Gordon was expected to miss a lot of time a week ago and he still is. Nothing has really changed there either.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Dr. Octopus said:

Players can get hurt in Week 1 games also. As far as players holding out, that’s a relatively new phenomenon and it adds a bit of strategy (risk v reward). Is it ideal, probably not, but people do what they have to do. We have always tried to keep out draft date stable (The Saturday before Labor Day Weekend) - but we have had a four year stretch where it was the Saturday right before Week 1 Sunday kickoff. 

Im fairly certain a weeknight would not work for my guys and frankly the was we do the draft I wouldn’t want that. We meet up at around 11:30 am, start the draft around 12:30, take a break in the middle to BBQ, resume drafting and hang out for hours after we’re done. Fantasy Football is important but for me a large part of that is draft day. You like three hours in a bar, with people having to work the next day, we like 10+ hours at a beach house with drinks and BBQ and some poker afterwards.

I haven't done an in-person live draft with friends since 2008, and I miss it.  Honestly the best day of the entire FF season.  We had one owner bring a podium and microphone, and the draft was held in an owner's house.  Food, beer, laptops all over the place, and fake printed cheatsheets.  The one token guy who gets hammered too early and starts reaching, and the guy who still owned a childhood toy called Stretch Armstrong pulling his arms every other pick.  And the best part - no website malfunction causing a team to autodraft.  Those were the days.

Now back to Gordon.  Draft Ekeler.

• Like 1
  • Thinking 1

12 hours ago, Tool said:

He ain't showing up. This will last to week 10 (unless for some reason Chargers change mind about an extension)

My point was regarding the original poster saying this coming Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday are the only days to hold a draft.

9 hours ago, DJackson10 said:

I had a few guys who are in a league since HS do a draft. My one friend lives in China and had to Live Skype for the draft at 5:30 in the morning. People can complain about family stuff and all being the issue but this guy literally had a time zone disadvantage working against him. 

We make all of our draft picks by interpretive dance. It’s quite challenging. 

• Thinking 1

3 hours ago, Tool said:

So sounds like he turned down $10 M. a year. Assuming he’s a free agent next year will anyone pay more than that?

I doubt it. Maybe more in guaranteed $ though. Any incentives, etc. it’s hard to know what the contract offered really was.

reportedly they’re like 2.5 million apart.  I realize it’s not *my* 2.5M, but considering the crowded backfield and Gordon’s injury history, I think 10.xM is a pretty fair offer. Unless it’s a contract full of poisoned pills.  :shrug:

The weird part here is that he has zero leverage.  Chargers basically called his bluff telling him he could seek a trade & they’re done negotiating. 

8 minutes ago, Hot Sauce Guy said:

We make all of our draft picks by interpretive dance. It’s quite challenging. 

I thought the The OA Netflix show was cancelled?

• Like 1
  • Laughing 1
  • Sad 1

38 minutes ago, Dr. Octopus said:

There isn’t any more clarity on Zekes situation today than there was a week ago - if anything it seems more likely he’ll be there Week 1 then is did then.

Gordon was expected to miss a lot of time a week ago and he still is. Nothing has really changed there either.

Yes, but both are still unknown so you have to roll the dice on when to take them.

Edited by Da Guru

14 hours ago, Walking Boot said:

:rolleyes:

Typical guppy.

Waaah, waaah, you cry, this game is too hard!

Sorry son, but I don't have to dumb down The Sport just so noobs like you have a chance at keeping up.

I play in a $4,000 entry, Super-WCOFF, triple-reverse, double down, mirror league with a modified PPFDR base 8 scoring system, and we just held our draft in July. For the 2023 season. You think Bo Nix getting the start in Auburn is news? I drafted him after studying up on him, after he signed his letter of intent, last year. You think that maybe going with a WR in the first two rounds instead of back-to-back RBs is somehow new thinking in fantasy? Well, do you have the balls to do what I did this year when I didn't take my first RB until the fourth round (Trenton Simpson, Mallard Creek High Schol in Charlotte NC)? You've probably never even heard of Julian Fleming, Jermaine Burton, or Desmond Demas, yet not only did I draft them this year to form my future WR corps, I've also started referring to them by fantasy board nicknames (JFlem, JerBur & DoubleDesmond). Hell, guys like you are going to be the poor schmucks who are searching this board five years from now for info on some great RB you just heard of out of the middle of some swamp in Florida, and the FBG search result box is going to come up with this very post, where I brag about nabbing Demarkcus Bowman of the Lakeland Dreadnaughts at the 25.32/26.01 turn two full months before he lit up Clearwater American Collegiate Academy for 2 TDs (1 rushing, 1 receiving) in a 55-13 win, or Bradenton Manatee, a playoff team last season, for 186 rushing yards and a TD in just the first half of a 45-0 rout. You'll be wondering about his durability and I'll remember a phone call I made back when you were just hearing the name "Darwin Thompson" for the first time to the kid's doctor over at the Watson Clinic attached to Lakeland Hospital about the sprain he suffered in his left ankle in 2018.

Let me give you a tip, IT = INFO, and there's no "expires by" date on it.

:football:

Nerd alert!  How's ur moms basement treating you?

• Laughing 1
  • Thinking 1

16 hours ago, SanDawg said:

Totally agree, but when you have 13 other guys who are so damn stubborn, "because we always draft this weekend" BS sometimes you have no choice.

Yea, I get it.  As we get older and busier, it gets harder.  I'm pretty lucky in that my league mates are willing to draft one or two days before the opening game, every year.

4 minutes ago, Manster said:

Nerd alert!  How's ur moms basement treating you?

Spoiler alert: I find his mother’s house to be quite comfy, though I’ve not visited the basement just yet. 

:D 

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, simey said:

My 21 year old money league always has the draft the weekend before labor day, which is preseason week 3. It is a live draft full of old friends, and three of the guys are coming from three different states. Most drafters have families, and doing it on labor day weekend is out of the question. It isn't a perfect world, and it is the best we can do to get it as close as we can to the regular season. To not understand and say it makes zero sense to have drafts before this weekend seems out of touch with the reality that people have lives that can't be perfect with a draft time.

I guess I'm lucky.  My leagues are all long running, and local.  People have come and gone.  The league calendar stays the same.....

Week 3 of preseason is a pretty good compromise.....I was more talking about leagues that draft in like July.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Walking Boot said:

:rolleyes:

Typical guppy.

Waaah, waaah, you cry, this game is too hard!

Sorry son, but I don't have to dumb down The Sport just so noobs like you have a chance at keeping up.

I play in a $4,000 entry, Super-WCOFF, triple-reverse, double down, mirror league with a modified PPFDR base 8 scoring system, and we just held our draft in July. For the 2023 season. You think Bo Nix getting the start in Auburn is news? I drafted him after studying up on him, after he signed his letter of intent, last year. You think that maybe going with a WR in the first two rounds instead of back-to-back RBs is somehow new thinking in fantasy? Well, do you have the balls to do what I did this year when I didn't take my first RB until the fourth round (Trenton Simpson, Mallard Creek High Schol in Charlotte NC)? You've probably never even heard of Julian Fleming, Jermaine Burton, or Desmond Demas, yet not only did I draft them this year to form my future WR corps, I've also started referring to them by fantasy board nicknames (JFlem, JerBur & DoubleDesmond). Hell, guys like you are going to be the poor schmucks who are searching this board five years from now for info on some great RB you just heard of out of the middle of some swamp in Florida, and the FBG search result box is going to come up with this very post, where I brag about nabbing Demarkcus Bowman of the Lakeland Dreadnaughts at the 25.32/26.01 turn two full months before he lit up Clearwater American Collegiate Academy for 2 TDs (1 rushing, 1 receiving) in a 55-13 win, or Bradenton Manatee, a playoff team last season, for 186 rushing yards and a TD in just the first half of a 45-0 rout. You'll be wondering about his durability and I'll remember a phone call I made back when you were just hearing the name "Darwin Thompson" for the first time to the kid's doctor over at the Watson Clinic attached to Lakeland Hospital about the sprain he suffered in his left ankle in 2018.

Let me give you a tip, IT = INFO, and there's no "expires by" date on it.

:football:

I wanna get in on some JerBur and DoubleDesmond......show me the ways bro!

• Laughing 1
  • Thinking 1

2 minutes ago, Manster said:

I wanna get in on some JerBur and DoubleDesmond......show me the ways bro!

It's an old board joke by a guy named Philo. It's being re-posted.

1 minute ago, rockaction said:

It's an old board joke by a guy named Philo. It's being re-posted.

I knew it was a joke, but I didn't realize it was a re-post

Just now, Manster said:

I knew it was a joke, but I didn't realize it was a re-post

Yeah, we reference it often. It's so absurd. The most absurd part is he's picking out actual pros who were in eighth grade/beginning high school at the time.

24 minutes ago, rockaction said:

Yeah, we reference it often. It's so absurd. The most absurd part is he's picking out actual pros who were in eighth grade/beginning high school at the time.

I can see why it's referenced....IT=AWESOME!

49 minutes ago, rockaction said:

My dynasty research is just that good

• Laughing 3

12 hours ago, simey said:

I wasn't complaining. I was simply stating why we do our draft every year the weekend before labor day weekend. Not one person in our league complains about when we do our draft. It is a time we can all see each other in person, have fun, and draft our players. This year was actually very sentimental. One of the teams has two owners, and one of the owners unexpectedly died at the end of June. There were tears, and laughter too reminiscing on stories of our dear departed long time friend. It is more about being together than it is getting the best players. We don't get to see the guys that live out of state (Florida, Georgia, and Virginia) often, so it is nice that we get together same time every year here in NC. Anyway, this thread is about Melvin Gordon, and I didn't draft him. 

Wasn't saying you were just saying those acting like getting out of family stuff it could be worse. You could have to deal with different time zones by 14 hours 

Jeremy Fowler✔@JFowlerESPN

Chargers running back Melvin Gordon does not plan to report for Week 1 as he sorts through potential trade options during his holdout, according to a source. My understanding is only a new development would bring him in.

2:21 PM - Sep 2, 2019

:lmao: at the bolded

why is the media so terrible at covering this story? they totally dropped the ball on the bell story last year.

math should easily be able to explain what is going on.

If gordon doesnt play (or doesnt play until game 11... again media, what is the minimum Gordon needs to do this season... we shouldnt have to guess at this) he loses $5.6M in 2019 salary, but will then either be franchised or a free agent next year... if franchised and he still doesnt sign/play then he loses another $10M (guessing here) of tag money in 2020.... IF he is an age 28 FA in 2021, he would what command $20M+ guarenteed plus some non-zero 2021 salary? what if he basically doesnt play this year and then doesnt get tagged next year? then he'd be getting $20M guarenteed next year... which would more than makeup for not getting $5.6M this season.

i dont blame the guy for not playing this year... $5.6M doesnt seem to be worth injury and possible losss of a much bigger 2020 payday... i also understand the chargers position... they feel they can win without him so they aren't in a hurry to give up more salary and cap spce

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, iamkoza said:

why is the media so terrible at covering this story? they totally dropped the ball on the bell story last year.

If gordon doesnt play (or doesnt play until game 11... again media, what is the minimum Gordon needs to do this season... we shouldnt have to guess at this) he loses $5.6M in 2019 salary, but will then either be franchised or a free agent next year... if franchised and he still doesnt sign/play then he loses another $10M (guessing here) of tag money in 2020.... IF he is an age 28 FA in 2021, he would what command $20M+ guarenteed plus some non-zero 2021 salary? what if he basically doesnt play this year and then doesnt get tagged next year? then he'd be getting $20M guarenteed next year... which would more than makeup for not getting $5.6M this season.

i dont blame the guy for not playing this year... $5.6M doesnt seem to be worth injury and possible losss of a much bigger 2020 payday... i also understand the chargers position... they feel they can win without him so they aren't in a hurry to give up more salary and cap spce

A lot of folks came down hard on Bell...but the guaranteed money he signed for in 2019, was a lot more than the franchise tag in 2018.  The argument was that he’d never make up the ability to earn that money.  But in reality, only Bell/Gordon really understand the risk/peril...it’s a pretty significant bet to play.  And for Gordon?  $5.6M is a pittance...

38 minutes ago, iamkoza said:

Pretty much right on. There’s an inherent conflict of interest that’s particular to RBs in last year of contract. Team wants to use as much as possible not really caring about well being much other than to get to end of season. Player has to do everything to make it to end of year healthy to get that guaranteed money.

1 hour ago, iamkoza said:

The media's problem in covering it is that 1) the NFL is too secretive about what's in the CBA, and 2) the CBA is so poorly written and haphazardly constructed that no one understands it. Old parts contradict new parts and anyone can point to one paragraph and say it means one thing, and then the other side can point to a different paragraph in a different section and say it means the exact opposite.

This is why holdouts had to go to arbitration every two weeks, just so that one impartial person can sit down with the whole thing and try to puzzle out wtf it's all supposed to mean and what parts are actually in effect and which parts they forgot to update or delete. There isn't a simple flowchart because neither side built one in. No one worked out all the possible permutations when they put the CBA together. 

I can count on one hand the number of sports "journalists" that actually do original research and report facts. Everyone else just retweets what they're told or retypes a press release they've been handed into their own words. No one has the time to miss three or four news cycles by digging into it any deeper than parroting back the talking points they're getting from each side.

• Like 2

Making sure I understand the news yesterday about the team no longer negotiating....did they take back any and all offers they made to him (the deal similar to Freeman's deal that had been reported), or did they say "this is the best we can do, take it or leave it, we're not negotiating this anymore."  Are they now forcing him to play under the 5th year option or find a trade that they'll accept?

On 9/1/2019 at 10:17 PM, Man In The Box said:

If you're going to post a fake tweet, at least make it somewhat believable. 

Or funny...

29 minutes ago, matttyl said:

Making sure I understand the news yesterday about the team no longer negotiating....did they take back any and all offers they made to him (the deal similar to Freeman's deal that had been reported), or did they say "this is the best we can do, take it or leave it, we're not negotiating this anymore."  Are they now forcing him to play under the 5th year option or find a trade that they'll accept?

They appear to have said they were done discussing extensions until after the year, but that's a public stance.  If he came back and offered a deal they liked it's not like they'd say no.  

1 hour ago, matttyl said:

Los Angeles Chargers end Melvin Gordon extension talks

The Los Angeles Chargers today announced through general manager Tom Telesco that the organization will no longer entertain contract negotiations with their star running back Melvin Gordon until the conclusion of the 2019 NFL season.

According to Gilbert Manzano, Telesco stated that “with the regular season now here, we have informed his representatives that discussions regarding contract extensions will be postponed until the conclusion of this season. So when or if Melvin reports, he’ll play this season on his current contract.”

I think the team will stand firm on this for multiple reasons:

1. Prior to extending Pouncey today, the team had less than $4M in available cap space. They likely need to reserve most or all of that amount for IR/injury replacements in season. They may have cleared $2M to $3M in Pouncey's deal, terms have not been made available. But it would be a challenge to give Gordon what he wants without raising his cap number this season, which means it might force some restructuring/extensions for other players.
  2. The team has a string of 1st round picks coming up on 5th year option seasons - Bosa, Mike Williams, James, and Tillery. They have to be concerned about precedent, especially since they almost certainly see those players as being more difficult to replace.
  3. The team cannot pay everybody like a top 5 player. Just within the next two years, these guys reach free agency: Rivers, Bosa, Ingram, Okung, Pouncey, Henry, Allen, Hayward, and King. Most or all of those players would be more difficult to replace than Gordon.
Edited by Just Win Baby
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, zeeshan2 said:

Chargers want a first-round pick and a fifth-round pick for Melvin Gordon https://t.co/Z0Lh4wWS6D

— ProFootballTalk (@ProFootballTalk) September 3, 2019

seems unlikely

Why would a team give up a first rounder just to overpay a running back? The Chargers should take whatever they can get honestly.

• Like 2

Apparently one team has been in preliminary trade talks with the Chargers about Melvin. Tampa? Not sure they can afford to pay him though. 

5 minutes ago, JoeJoe88 said:

Apparently one team has been in preliminary trade talks with the Chargers about Melvin. Tampa? Not sure they can afford to pay him though. 

that’s the team that came to my mind too

21 minutes ago, JoeJoe88 said:

How about Ronald Jones and a third rounder?

6 minutes ago, Patrick the Pirate said:

How about Ronald Jones and a third rounder?

Chargers give Tampa a 3rd to keep Jones?

• Like 1
  • Laughing 1

Just had a non-ppr 12 team draft where I caved in and drafted him on the 7th pick of the 7th round.  I was thinking that the risk vs reward made sense there—but now I’m not sure.  I’m kinda wishing I could have just kept him on a do not draft list.  

18 minutes ago, jvdesigns2002 said:

Just had a non-ppr 12 team draft where I caved in and drafted him on the 7th pick of the 7th round.  I was thinking that the risk vs reward made sense there—but now I’m not sure.  I’m kinda wishing I could have just kept him on a do not draft list.  

I just took him @ 8.10. at that point, o had many of my starters, all but a QB, so what the hell? Maybe he shows up by week 4. Maybe he gets traded. Maybe he continues to sit and it didn't cost me much.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, zeeshan2 said:

Chargers want a first-round pick and a fifth-round pick for Melvin Gordon https://t.co/Z0Lh4wWS6D

— ProFootballTalk (@ProFootballTalk) September 3, 2019

Nice zinger from Florio in that article

"The Chargers don’t want to compensate Melvin Gordon like a high-end tailback. But they want to be compensated by another team for Gordon as if he’s a high-end tailback."

• Like 2

Duke Johnson sold for a 3rd round pick in return, and he had just recently signed a deal saying he is only worth around 5 million per year.