What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Melvin Gordon, BAL (1 Viewer)

Houston worked out CJA yesterday.  So they are interested in a RB.  Any chance they are looking to trade for Gordon....or just a coincidence the timing of his news and the Texans working out RBs?

Houston worked out CJA yesterday.  So they are interested in a RB.  Any chance they are looking to trade for Gordon....or just a coincidence the timing of his news and the Texans working out RBs?
You are more likely to suit up at RB for the Texans than for them to deal for Melvin Gordon IMO

Lol. You've made your opinion very clear that you think ekeler is some how better then Gordon. Last time I checked when you are the rb2 in fantasy your stats in real life are pretty good.
I would argue that if Barkley had been in the charger offense instead of the Giants offense he would have been better than "rb2". 

What scoring system are you using and who finished behind him? There are at least half a dozen RB's out there better than Gordon if not more than a dozen. It's frankly kind of comical that anyone would even try to make the argument that Gordon has ever been rb2 at any point in his entire career.

They've traded for two RBs already this season - I can't see them trading for a third RB.

Fair point, and well played. My objection is to referencing fantasy stats and attempting to correlate that to team decision-making on player usage.

Ekeler is one of the best playmakers the Chargers have on their roster. That is shown by his stats, his PFF grade, the eye test, and whatever else you want to use. The Chargers are not in position to stop using him. I assume his rushing attempts (more than 12 per game) will drop as Gordon is reinserted, but they shouldn't drop to zero, and his usage in the passing game shouldn't drop at all, since he is clearly better in that phase than Gordon.

:shrug:  
Before Gordon got hurt last year, he was averaging 20.6 touches (15.9 rushes, 3.7 receptions). Ekeler was averaging 8.8 touches (6.6 carries, 2.2 receptions). So they gave them around 29 touches a game before MG was injured. 

You're probably right that Ekeler gets a bigger slice of that pie than last season, but I also think they probably don't want to keep giving him 20 touches a game considering his build. 

How many draft picks do they have left to mortgage their future? All for the right to pay Gordon more than he's worth. This year they are already paying Miller/Johnson/Hyde veteran contracts (7.7+2.2+1.9= $11.8mil) and now they are going to give Gordon the money that he wants?

My head hurts reading this thread. 

It reads as a lot of people who own Ekeler in redraft and in full support of LAC ownership and FO to show Gordon who's boss.

It also reads as many Gordon owners trying to remind people that Gordon operates at a high level in FF in this offense.

The LAC have at least 2 quality RBs and perhaps 3 of them but you only have 1 ball on each Down/Distance so the logical conclusion is to trade one of them and maybe even two. 

When Gordon reports it seems logical that he won't carry a full load but here is where I differ from others...Gordon is not happy or relieved to not be relied on for 20 touches a game, if he's worried about injury he nor any NFL player should step on the field, that's when you get hurt, so I differ from others opinions on that point. 

The idea that Ekeler lands Gordon on the bench is a pipe dream IMO. Just face the reality the pie is going to get cut up and if Gordon is atop the depth charts be it the 1st week he checks back, the second etc...eventually he is going to see something in the range of 15-18 carries, a few targets receiving, the guy who gets cut out likely is Jackson for 2019 and it's easy to say because it's going about 75/25 Ekeler/JJ last I looked...now 70/30

Gordon 60/Ekeler 30, JJ crumbs, something along those lines is going to happen by Week 8 let's say. 

My head hurts reading this thread. 

It also reads as many Gordon owners trying to remind people that Gordon operates at a high level in FF in this offense.
I read it as Gordon put up decent fantasy numbers with a bell cow workload while Ekeler has been more efficient and did as good or better than Gordon did with fewer touches. I'm not sure what the split will be and whether the Chargers will want to run Gordon into the ground or not. Similarly, I am not sure Gordon will be thrilled to return without a new contract, lots of fines, and losing a bunch of weekly paychecks to 25-30 touches a game. But your 60/30 split sounds reasonable to me.

I would argue that if Barkley had been in the charger offense instead of the Giants offense he would have been better than "rb2". 

What scoring system are you using and who finished behind him? There are at least half a dozen RB's out there better than Gordon if not more than a dozen. It's frankly kind of comical that anyone would even try to make the argument that Gordon has ever been rb2 at any point in his entire career.
Why is this comical?  For a while last year he was the 2nd highest scoring RB in fantasy football.  I assume that's what he was referring to since  this is a fantasy football message board  In real life yeah there are 6-10 RB's out there better than him.

Before Gordon got hurt last year, he was averaging 20.6 touches (15.9 rushes, 3.7 receptions). Ekeler was averaging 8.8 touches (6.6 carries, 2.2 receptions). So they gave them around 29 touches a game before MG was injured. 

You're probably right that Ekeler gets a bigger slice of that pie than last season, but I also think they probably don't want to keep giving him 20 touches a game considering his build. 
A few things are different now, though:

1. Most importantly, Okung is out for at least several more weeks, and he may not play at all this season. He was by far their best OL last season. As a team, the Chargers averaged over 6 ypc last season when they ran outside Okung and 3.9 ypc on all other carries.
  2. Prior to Gordon's second injury last season, the team had not seen much of Jackson on the field. Now they have, and he looks outstanding. Hard to imagine he will get zero touches once Gordon is back and ramped up.
  3. They knew Ekeler was good before, but it seems reasonable to believe their view of him has only improved given his performance so far this season, suggesting he may have earned a bigger role than he had last year.

agree, but the comment is purposely vague to allow for a gordon return at any point over the next few weeks
I've noticed most reporters now on twitter or doing a report do this intentionally. Since most of the guys throw #### up on a wall hoping something sticks. Zero accountability anymore for being wrong. Not saying that's what Scheftar did here or accusing him of anything as he's one of the few sports media wise that usually has his #### in order

No one knows for sure. The Galloway decision ruled that 8 games was enough (as applicable to Galloway) but some language in it seemed to indicate that one game would be enough. To be safe he'd have to be available for 8 games.
That was also a completely different CBA unless they kept the language similar or re worked it for a better understanding now 

I think he and Ekeler will be in a true RBBC, 65/35 split. Reducing both to RB2. No way either are RB1 with any kind of real split. 
A 65 with all goal line touches can easily be an rb1. You are right about ekeler though. Flex at best

Last edited by a moderator:
This is what makes me sad. What makes me sad is seeing the Ekeler owners twist and contort their bodies and narratives to fit a scenario where Ekeler is still the lead back. I dont care how rusty Gordon is. He is and will always be the superior option to Ekeler. I don't care how he has performed. HE is not coming back to play second fiddle to the backup. Contrary to reports, HE HAS been in touch with ownership and coaching and knows exactly what he is walking into. That is all. 

Is it still possible that Gordon gets traded? Gordon coming back, indicates that he is willing to play this season without a new contract. That could motivate a team to deal for him, without having to instantly commit a long term deal to him. They could still hammer out a long term deal, but it wouldn't need to be in place before a trade. Just a thought.

This is what makes me sad. What makes me sad is seeing the Ekeler owners twist and contort their bodies and narratives to fit a scenario where Ekeler is still the lead back. I dont care how rusty Gordon is. He is and will always be the superior option to Ekeler. I don't care how he has performed. HE is not coming back to play second fiddle to the backup. Contrary to reports, HE HAS been in touch with ownership and coaching and knows exactly what he is walking into. That is all. 
Yeah, if I am Chargers management I run Gordon into the ground this year and then sign Ekeler for a fraction of the absurd amount Gordon was asking for.

There seems to be very little chance that Ekeler will ever see more carries than Gordon. Unless its a personal vendetta for the Charger staff.

Remember, the Chargers did offer 10 million a year for Gordons services at RB.

Is it still possible that Gordon gets traded? Gordon coming back, indicates that he is willing to play this season without a new contract. That could motivate a team to deal for him, without having to instantly commit a long term deal to him. They could still hammer out a long term deal, but it wouldn't need to be in place before a trade. Just a thought.
This is the cold hard facts ekeler owners like just win won't accept.

I own Ekeler in a dynasty where he’s saved me so far, but I don’t think he’ll be the lead back (maybe for the next two weeks) but he’ll still have decent value as a RB3 type since he’ll be used heavy in passing game.

That’s interesting but I don’t think it will happen. The Chargers still must think they can compete and Gordon with Ekeler makes them better than just Ekeler obviously and they’re only paying him what they were willing to pay him all along.

Where do you all fit him into this ROS ranking (Fantasy Pros)? I removed where they have him as I'm not sure who reranked him after the news.

FWIW I'd have him around 16

7 Derrick Henry TEN
8 Le'Veon Bell NYJ
9 Marlon Mack IND
10 Mark Ingram BAL
11 Aaron Jones GB
12 James Conner PIT
13 Joe Mixon CIN
14 Chris Carson SEA
15 Todd Gurley LAR
16 Leonard Fournette JAC
17 Sony Michel NE
18 Kerryon Johnson DET
19 Josh Jacobs OAK
20 Austin Ekeler LAC
21 Devonta Freeman ATL
22 David Montgomery CHI
23 Saquon Barkley NYG O
24 Phillip Lindsay DEN
25 LeSean McCoy KC
26 Damien Williams KC

This is the cold hard facts ekeler owners like just win won't accept.
The cold hard facts Ekeler owners like me won't accept is that Gordon could still get traded?

:confused:  

I think there is a lot of merit to your POV. Not sure how it unfolds but I have felt like if LAC could get a solid 2nd Rd pick in a trade they would jump vs letting him walk at the end of the season. That still might be too high for some teams.

KC could us a Mel Gordon but they are in division, not happening. Houston is a rival in the playoffs, they almost would hav to trade him into the NFC...Skins are a mess, Bucs would be a great landing spot for him, wish the two teams could find a way, in fact any of the 3 RBs LAC has...Jackson would be a massive upgrade. 

Seattle would be a real playoff team if they had an Alpha behind Wilson. 

Hint: bad news for ekeler value
It was always a given Gordon was going to report, the only question was when. So it was always a given that when he reported, it would reduce Ekeler's value. I'm not sure if you think you are onto a hot take here or what.

Where do you all fit him into this ROS ranking (Fantasy Pros)? I removed where they have him as I'm not sure who reranked him after the news.

7 Derrick Henry TEN
8 Le'Veon Bell NYJ
9 Marlon Mack IND
10 Mark Ingram BAL
11 Aaron Jones GB
12 James Conner PIT
13 Joe Mixon CIN
14 Chris Carson SEA
15 Todd Gurley LAR
16 Leonard Fournette JAC
17 Sony Michel NE
18 Kerryon Johnson DET
19 Josh Jacobs OAK
20 Austin Ekeler LAC
21 Devonta Freeman ATL
22 David Montgomery CHI
23 Saquon Barkley NYG O
24 Phillip Lindsay DEN
25 LeSean McCoy KC
26 Damien Williams KC
Assuming Gordon is at least 60% of the touches...I'd have him ranked in the Top 10, ahead of Marlon Mack for sure. 

It was always a given Gordon was going to report, the only question was when. So it was always a given that when he reported, it would reduce Ekeler's value. I'm not sure if you think you onto a hot take here or what.
Yeah, if anything the past 3 weeks have been a huge boost to Ekeler’s value for dynasty purposes, and IMO that doesn’t change at all with this news.

That’s interesting but I don’t think it will happen. The Chargers still must think they can compete and Gordon with Ekeler makes them better than just Ekeler obviously and they’re only paying him what they were willing to pay him all along.
Oh yeah, this is pretty much a best case scenario for the Chargers, I'm just trying to see it from Gordon's point of view. 

Should point out that Ekeler was RB25(27th PPG) in PPR last year, and that very much feels like his floor going forward, as he's certainly earned a larger share. Gordon was RB8(5th PPG) and that is likely his absolute ceiling. In the 11 games both played last season, Gordon saw 163 carries(14.8 per game) and 47 catches(4.3 per game) Ekeler saw 66 carries(6 per game) and 27 catches(2.5 per game) so Gordon had a roughly 18-8 touch advantage per game, while I don't think Gordon is a lock to see less than that, I'd be pretty confident Ekeler has shown enough to see more. 

If I had to put a rankings spot, it'd be RB12 or so for Gordon, and RB21 or so for Ekeler. With Henry out, T.Williams gone, M.Williams banged up, and the o-line and defense taking steps back, I think its very possible we see some 2-RB sets going forward. Ekeler is probably a better pass catcher than any of the non Allen/Williams WR's. 

I think there is a lot of merit to your POV. Not sure how it unfolds but I have felt like if LAC could get a solid 2nd Rd pick in a trade they would jump vs letting him walk at the end of the season. That still might be too high for some teams.

KC could us a Mel Gordon but they are in division, not happening. Houston is a rival in the playoffs, they almost would hav to trade him into the NFC...Skins are a mess, Bucs would be a great landing spot for him, wish the two teams could find a way, in fact any of the 3 RBs LAC has...Jackson would be a massive upgrade. 

Seattle would be a real playoff team if they had an Alpha behind Wilson. 
Do you think that matters? I mean, I think KC is off limits, because they are a division team, and they play them twice, but they already played Houston, and have a very slim chance of doing so again. I hate to bring them up, but what about New England? Michel has looked awful, and Gordon has the versatility that they love. 

I still like the Packers as a trade candidate, especially since Jones has failed to put distance between him and Williams, and they are both on cheap rookie deals. 

Can't see Seattle after investing a 1st, and having an 1,100 rusher on the team. Won't disagree that Gordon would be an upgrade, though I think Carson is a lot better than he has played so far. 

Bucs obviously, I think Buffalo would be sneaky as well, especially since they started 3-0. Better than Gore, and gives Singletary time to develop, and stay fresh as a change of pace(which might happen with Gore anyway) Jaguars could be interesting, Fournette seems like a bust, but maybe he'd benefit from being a COP RB, Jags could play super run heavy(they want to anyway) and win with defense and a few Minshew miracles. Would Gordon and a 1st for Ramsey make sense? That would be kind of like getting 2 1st rounders, right? Wasn't that the logic the Giants used in the Beckham deal?

Would the Falcons make sense? Freeman has a big deal, but looks increasingly likely to be a cap casualty next off season, and has performed best when splitting work. 

Ultimately this is all unlikely, but its interesting to think about, especially since it seems like an almost certainty that the Chargers have no intention of extending Gordon beyond this season.

@scottbarrettdfb

In 2018, Austin Ekeler ranked:

- 6th of 61 RBs in PFF Grade (83.6)

- 7th of 56 RBs in Elusive Rating (67.6)

- 6th of 56 RBs in Yards per Carry (5.23)

- 7th of 31 RBs in Yards per Target (7.62)

... and was better than Melvin Gordon in each stat.

In 2019, Austin Ekeler ranks,

- 8th of 60 RBs in PFF Grade (78.1)

- 8th of 50 RBs in Elusive Rating (92.6)

- 2nd of 50 RBs in 1st Contact Tackle% (53%)

- 1st of 31 RBs in YPT (10.4)

- 1st among all RBs in fantasy points per game (26.6)

Gordon seasons with >4YPC : 1

7 Derrick Henry TEN
8 Le'Veon Bell NYJ
9 Marlon Mack IND
10 Mark Ingram BAL
11 Aaron Jones GB
12 James Conner PIT
13 Joe Mixon CIN
14 Chris Carson SEA
15 Todd Gurley LAR
16 Leonard Fournette JAC
17 Sony Michel NE
18 Kerryon Johnson DET
19 Josh Jacobs OAK
20 Austin Ekeler LAC
21 Devonta Freeman ATL
22 David Montgomery CHI
23 Saquon Barkley NYG O
24 Phillip Lindsay DEN
25 LeSean McCoy KC
26 Damien Williams KC
Am assuming that the above is non-PPR given Henry at RB7 and Mack at RB9.  In that format I'd rank him RB11-13.  For PPR, slightly higher: RB8-11.

As always, juts my opinion. :)

[icon] said:
@scottbarrettdfb

In 2018, Austin Ekeler ranked:

- 6th of 61 RBs in PFF Grade (83.6)

- 7th of 56 RBs in Elusive Rating (67.6)

- 6th of 56 RBs in Yards per Carry (5.23)

- 7th of 31 RBs in Yards per Target (7.62)

... and was better than Melvin Gordon in each stat.

In 2019, Austin Ekeler ranks,

- 8th of 60 RBs in PFF Grade (78.1)

- 8th of 50 RBs in Elusive Rating (92.6)

- 2nd of 50 RBs in 1st Contact Tackle% (53%)

- 1st of 31 RBs in YPT (10.4)

- 1st among all RBs in fantasy points per game (26.6)

Gordon seasons with >4YPC : 1
Well based on these stats Ekeler owners have nothing to worry about.  Gordon is clearly an inferior back.

Users who are viewing this thread