Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
gianmarco

***Official Melvin "Flash" Gordon*** Thread of Love

2 hours ago, bostonfred said:

The Chargers are 2-4 because they didn't pay Gordon.

It's shocking to me that anyone honestly believes this. 

Can you unpack it for me? Are you saying that they would have beat DET and HOU if they would have had Gordon? HOU is just a better team, and it's not really close so if you are saying Gordon would have made the difference in that game I think your dead wrong. DET? Well, Ekeler had 133 yards from scrimmage and a TD so I don't think the RB position is the reason they lost that game either.

It's almost like some people are watching a completely different team. They are 0-2 since Gordon came back(keep in mind he wants to be payed like a franchise RB). Ekeler is only averaging 3.8y/c?! Behind the same OL Gordon is averaging 2.5y/c. The chargers were 2-2 without Gordon, and now are 0-2 since he came back. So he WAS the missing piece all along..... WTF.

The crowd that said that the chargers are making a big mistake not caving to the demand of Gordon and his agent are just looking more silly each and every week. How can people possibly be doubling down on this?!

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Bracie Smathers said:

Evan Silva‏Verified account @evansilva

Since ending his holdout, 15 of #Chargers RB Melvin Gordon’s 20 carries have gained 3 yards or less (75%).

8 of his 11 targets have gained 3 yards to less (73%).

All told, plays intended for Melvin Gordon have averaged 2.77 yards.

Just 1 of them (3%) has gained a first down.

9:32 AM - 14 Oct 2019

Seems to me that production is closer to a top 50 RB in the NFL than it is to a top 5 RB. And people are STILL saying that the chargers should have given him the money he was asking for. I said before the season began that he was getting overpaid at $5mil. At the end of the day telesco was incredibly lucky Gordon and his agent turned up his nose at ~10mil/season. Even a broken clock is right twice a day.

3 hours ago, Hot Sauce Guy said:

All of this is spot on.

add losing the starting center, (not a JAG, but one of the better centers in the NFL IMO) - I think id read that they were without 5 pro-bowl players on SNF? 

chargers had a rookie guard making his first start 

Gordon’s holdout didn’t do that. 

The OL is a mess. Several either playing out of their natural position or inexperienced in general. 

after week 5’s game they said they had to simplify the offense to run anything. So it’s hard to crap on coaching too badly - they got dealt a bad hand.  Injuries are the great equalizer in the NFL. 

as a Niner fan I’ll say I’m shocked they won this week - several OL & their all pro FB out, it took a little luck & a lot of defense, but among my circle of friends I’d predicted their first loss for largely the same reasons the Chargers looked so bad. 

losing Pouncey isn’t just losing a player though - dude was the heart of that offensive line. Arguably the leader of that offense next to Rivers. That’s a brutal loss.

hard to imagine the Chargers winning without him, and in context of this topic, hard to imagine a successful running game behind a male-shift line for either back. 

I agree Gordon’s holdout was unsuccessful - but everyone agreed it was dumb from the start since he lacked leverage. All he did was showed the Chargers that Eck could handle a larger role.  

This. Gordon isn't playing in a vacuum. His holdout didn't work to his advantage, but it failed "Financially", not "Physically. The team around him isn't the same team that was on the field last year due in large part to injury.  Hard to see it fully rebounding due to OTHER PEOPLE's injuries. That isn't on Gordon. His scene changed.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, BoltBacker said:

It's shocking to me that anyone honestly believes this. 

Can you unpack it for me? Are you saying that they would have beat DET and HOU if they would have had Gordon? HOU is just a better team, and it's not really close so if you are saying Gordon would have made the difference in that game I think your dead wrong. DET? Well, Ekeler had 133 yards from scrimmage and a TD so I don't think the RB position is the reason they lost that game either.

It's almost like some people are watching a completely different team. They are 0-2 since Gordon came back(keep in mind he wants to be payed like a franchise RB). Ekeler is only averaging 3.8y/c?! Behind the same OL Gordon is averaging 2.5y/c. The chargers were 2-2 without Gordon, and now are 0-2 since he came back. So he WAS the missing piece all along..... WTF.

The crowd that said that the chargers are making a big mistake not caving to the demand of Gordon and his agent are just looking more silly each and every week. How can people possibly be doubling down on this?!

Maybe the two fumbles on the goal line has something to do with it. Ekeler should stop eating popcorn pregame.

26 minutes ago, BoltBacker said:

Seems to me that production is closer to a top 50 RB in the NFL than it is to a top 5 RB. And people are STILL saying that the chargers should have given him the money he was asking for. I said before the season began that he was getting overpaid at $5mil. At the end of the day telesco was incredibly lucky Gordon and his agent turned up his nose at ~10mil/season. Even a broken clock is right twice a day.

So based on two rusty games for Gordon you are willing to make this assumption. Lol.

25 minutes ago, BoltBacker said:

Are you saying that they would have beat DET and HOU if they would have had Gordon?

Well, the chargers lost 13 to 10, and ekeler fumbled on the 1 yard line, but he had a good fantasy football performance so it can't be his fault.  

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/201909150det.htm#all_pbp

Look at the play by play.  

The chargers had ten possessions.

5 of them ended on the set of downs that included a run of two or fewer yards and a failed first down. For example, a 2 yard run on 1st and 10, followed by two incomplete passes, or a zero yard run on 2nd and 10 followed by an incomplete pass). The worst was justin Jackson running for a 4 yard loss on first down, incomplete pass by rivers on 2nd, and an interception by rivers on third.  

The sixth ended with an ekeler fumble on the 1.

It's not that Gordon never runs for no gain or 2 yards. Every running back does. But another thing that sucks is that all of the drives im talking about ended with incomplete passes. Once the chargers ran it on first or second down and failed to get 3 plus yards, they literally never tried a second run to set up an easier third down.  

Rivers attempted 36 passes.  15 of them were on 2nd and 8 or longer,  or third and 8 or longer. 

No Okung, no Pouncey - if i could get out of this backfield I would.   5th round Melvin Gordon not looking so good, wish I had taken Mark Ingram.

What's the timetable injury status for Okung and Pouncey?  I think those are highly significant issues for the Chargers.

2 hours ago, BoltBacker said:

Can you unpack it for me? Are you saying that they would have beat DET and HOU if they would have had Gordon? HOU is just a better team, and it's not really close so if you are saying Gordon would have made the difference in that game I think your dead wrong.

As for the Texans, the chargers led that game 17 to 7 at halftime. 

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/201909220sdg.htm

What do winning teams do in the second half when they have a two score lead?

I doubt you said "start their first drive of the second half with a run for minus four and go 3 and out", but that's what the chargers did.

TheTexans scored and the chargers next drive took about six minutes off the clock but didn't score. The next drive ended when ekeler ran for 1 yard on first and 10 and rivers passed twice.  And the one after that ended when watt failed to convert a 3rd and 1. 

Considering they lost by 7, and ekeler only had 9 rushes, I don't think it's at all unreasonable to suggest they would have had a better chance if Gordon had played. 

Edited by bostonfred
  • Like 1

I think it's also pretty obvious that Gordon would be playing better right now if he'd gone to training camp and been part of the team.  Does that mean they'd be 6-0 with him?  There's no way to say either way.

But there's no question in my mind they'd be better than 2-4, and I'd literally have bet money on it.  They'd probably be 4-2 or better right now.  And with the chiefs losing twice already that means they'd be at the top of their division.

Failing to sign Gordon saved them money but cost them a year of a dwindling window.  

Here are some facts about Melvin Gordon's career:

1. He has played 59 career games. He averaged 4+ ypc in just 28 of them (47%).
  2. He has 943 career rushing attempts. Just 365 of them (39%) have gained 4 or more yards.
  3. Gordon's 1 season with a good ypc was 2018. He averaged 5.9 ypc on 64 carries running outside Okung in 2018 and 4.1 ypc on his other 137 carries. Okung is currently out and might not play a snap this season, maybe never again.
  4. Since Gordon returned from his second injury last season, he has played in 6 games. In those games, he has 68 rushing attempts for 187 rushing yards (2.75 ypc) and 15 receptions for 88 yards (5.9 ypr).
  5. In 2018-2019, the Chargers are 6-2 without Gordon and 9-7 with him.

IMO anyone who thinks the problem with the Chargers record this season is that they didn't sign Gordon and get him into camp and the full regular season probably doesn't follow the Chargers and thus probably has an uninformed perspective on the matter.

5 hours ago, bolldpt said:

What's the timetable injury status for Okung and Pouncey?  I think those are highly significant issues for the Chargers.

Pouncey is out for the season. Okung's status is not known. In theory, he could return after week 7, but he is out due to a pulmonary embolism. That likely means he is on blood thinners, which makes it likely he will not play at all this season.

The Chargers probably have the worst OL in the NFL at this point.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Just Win Baby said:

I think we see eye to eye on pretty much all Chargers related things, but don't you dare take that title from Miami. 

Russell Okung rumored to be back soon, possibly as early as this week. How happy should we be?

1 minute ago, Cobbler1 said:

Russell Okung rumored to be back soon, possibly as early as this week. How happy should we be?

Very, if it's true.

41 minutes ago, Cobbler1 said:

He may be back to football this week, but that means back to practice. He hasn't practiced since early June. I expect he will need at least 2-3 weeks before seeing the field in a game, though I would love to be wrong about that. His absence has been the biggest negative impact on the offense by far this season.

Are those with Gordon still trying to acquire Ekeler? The Cook owner just offered him to be for Mattison. He also has C-Mac though, so I feel like giving him Mattison is a lose-lose. 

9 minutes ago, icehouse said:

Are those with Gordon still trying to acquire Ekeler? The Cook owner just offered him to be for Mattison. He also has C-Mac though, so I feel like giving him Mattison is a lose-lose. 

I have Gordon and Mattison.  I wouldn't make that trade.  

Edited by kodycutter

38 minutes ago, icehouse said:

As a former Gordon owner, I do recommend handcuffing him with AK. Gordon does have a history of missing games (due to injuries). Even with that offensive lineman returning eventually, it won’t get that much better which means Gordon is going to continue to get beat up. Work hard for some yardage. Mattison is a ‘golden ticket’ if Cooks goes down, so I get it, but what if Gordon goes down for you before Cook? What if Cook plays a full season? What’s your plan B? Heck, what if Gordon keeps on playing bad, will AK get more playing time, the team goes back to what worked earlier this season? Gordon has a lot of risk to his name this year, and I do think that trade is fair, but it’s up to you. It’s your team, not mine.

Edited by Mario Wario

On 10/15/2019 at 9:14 PM, Just Win Baby said:

Pouncey is out for the season. Okung's status is not known. In theory, he could return after week 7, but he is out due to a pulmonary embolism. That likely means he is on blood thinners, which makes it likely he will not play at all this season.

It was an immediate partial upchuck 🤮 when I heard Pouncey was lost for the season, terrible for run blocking in the "A" gaps no matter which RB you might own. 

I'll give you this, of the team actually trying to compete and Miami isn't one of them, Bolts might be pretty bad. I'm saying Miami is far worse however they aren't trying to really win, last I checked the Chargers thought they were a playoff team and most NFL fans. 

Edited by Ministry of Pain

🤢

i feel like he is killing the whole offense.  Is it just me?

10 minutes ago, Rove! said:

🤢

No chunk plays, like Ekler has provided the offense? Also, Denver and Pitt have played good defense.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kodycutter said:

No Okung and no Pouncey are killing this O.

Definitely mostly this. Rivers is getting no time. Taking hits, having to throw off his back foot.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SoBeDad said:

No chunk plays, like Ekler has provided the offense? Also, Denver and Pitt have played good defense.

Ekler provides chunk plays like that 41 yard catch.

2 hours ago, Rove! said:

🤢

No, it's not just you. Anyone with a clue sees this. Unfortunately, the Chargers coaching staff doesn't have a clue.

I can't wait to hear the, "$10mil/season is an INSULT" crew chime in this week. It was comical awhile ago. Now it's just sad listening to them spin and re-spin this. If only the chargers had Gordon playing all season they would be in the playoff hunt!

• Like 2

1 minute ago, BoltBacker said:

I can't wait to hear the, "$10mil/season is an INSULT" crew chime in this week. It was comical awhile ago. Now it's just sad listening to them spin and re-spin this. If only the chargers had Gordon playing all season they would be in the playoff hunt!

:goodposting: 

I wanted that last garbage TD so I could trade this guy on a "high" note 👎

5 minutes ago, Just Win Baby said:

No, it's not just you. Anyone with a clue sees this. Unfortunately, the Chargers coaching staff doesn't have a clue.

Yeah at this point it's clear Ekeler is more productive. Didn't Ekeler get their last 30 yards before getting to the 1? Why turn away from him there? Smh....

• Like 1

Just now, ShamrockPride said:

Yeah at this point it's clear Ekeler is more productive. Didn't Ekeler get their last 30 yards before getting to the 1? Why turn away from him there? Smh....

He only had 5 carries for 7 yards today.  That OL is terrible.  Ekeler is just lucky to be the primary receiving RB right now.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Would a team even trade a 2nd for Gordon right now?

He looks slow and unable to react or find some space. OL is not helping but he isn't making people miss either. 

3 minutes ago, Rove! said:

10 million... :lmao:  

To fumble twice from the one, and not even on fourth like Ekeler did :lmao:

3 minutes ago, rockaction said:

To fumble twice from the one, and not even on fourth like Ekeler did :lmao:

A kick in the nutz, twice.   I shall call that a Melvin from now on.

Melvin Gordon rushed 16 times for 32 yards with a game-losing fumble in the Chargers' Week 7 loss to the Titans.

In epic Chargers fashion, Philip Rivers was setting up a comeback try with minutes remaining. Austin Ekeler, who severely outplayed Gordon again, got the Bolts to the goal-line, but Gordon ran into brick walls before fumbling the game away with seven seconds remaining. Brutal. Gordon didn't have much speed or agility today, but he at least walked away with a goal-line reception to partially save his fantasy stat line. The Chargers seem stubborn enough to keep using Gordon as the primary runner -- he had 16 carries to Ekeler's five -- so he'll be in the low-end RB2 mix next week in Chicago.

Oct 20, 2019, 7:15 PM ET

He actually fumbled thrice from the goal line today, only one wasn't counted.

This holdout really worked. Apologists are silly. 

Looks like Flash shoulda taken the multi year 10-11 million a year deal Chargers offered.  Probably won`t come close to that next year. Flash is playing for 5 this year so he already is 5-6 million in arrears that now will never make up.

Some of these players get some bad advice..

Edited by Da Guru
  • Like 1

On 10/15/2019 at 9:14 PM, Just Win Baby said:

The Bengals OL would like a word with you.  Lots of them.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Hankmoody said:

The Bengals OL would like a word with you.  Lots of them.

I will see that Bengals OL and raise you the Miami Dolphins OL.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ministry of Pain said:

Would a team even trade a 2nd for Gordon right now?

He looks slow and unable to react or find some space. OL is not helping but he isn't making people miss either. 

I couldn't see trading a 4 for him. He looks like he's running through quicksand with a piano on his back. Forget Ekeler, I'm not sure he's better than Jackson, when he comes back, hell even Pope looked better than this. We know Zeke spent his holdout training, Gordon looks like he spent his loafing.

He was the worst player on the field today. Every snap he played put the Chargers at a disadvantage. No surprise they almost came back and won when Ekeler played in the hurry up, and wilted when Gordon came back in. 

Chargers should honestly make him the backup, and just play uptempo all the time. Does it make the team unbalanced? Yes. Does that matter? No, not when its the only thing you can do successfully.

9 hours ago, travdogg said:

I couldn't see trading a 4 for him. He looks like he's running through quicksand with a piano on his back. Forget Ekeler, I'm not sure he's better than Jackson, when he comes back, hell even Pope looked better than this. We know Zeke spent his holdout training, Gordon looks like he spent his loafing.

He was the worst player on the field today. Every snap he played put the Chargers at a disadvantage. No surprise they almost came back and won when Ekeler played in the hurry up, and wilted when Gordon came back in. 

Chargers should honestly make him the backup, and just play uptempo all the time. Does it make the team unbalanced? Yes. Does that matter? No, not when its the only thing you can do successfully.

Lol.

if your glass is half full.... he was half a yard away from a pretty good fantasy day. 8 pt swing on that last play. he's not getting traded because the comp pick they get will be better than anything a team will offer for this year.

55 minutes ago, iamkoza said:

if your glass is half full.... he was half a yard away from a pretty good fantasy day. 8 pt swing on that last play. he's not getting traded because the comp pick they get will be better than anything a team will offer for this year.

If your glass is half empty, I could have scored the TD he got, it required zero skill, and isn't a sign of anything to come. He had no burst, no ball security, and offered little as a receiver beyond 1 play where  the defense didn't even bother covering him. 

Will the comp pick be higher? There is this assumption that Gordon is gonna get paid this offseason, and he probably had a much better chance of that had he not come back at all. I can't see giving him more than 4 million a year. That isn't getting a very high comp pick. maybe a late 5th rounder, and even then its in 2021, 

If the Chargers could get a 4 or a 5 right now, it'd be worth it. Gordon being gone improves the offense, a pick is just a nice bonus. 

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Todem said:

I will see that Bengals OL and raise you the Miami Dolphins OL.

Call.  Nice 4 aces you got there, but I pulled straight flush.

12 hours ago, travdogg said:

Pope had the majority of his carries against the worst fantasy defense vs RBs this year.  How do people ignore stuff like that?