Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
gianmarco

***Official Melvin "Flash" Gordon*** Thread of Love

5 minutes ago, PhantomJB said:

Lmao. 2.15 vs. 2.25. What's your point?

That the line is trash and the third down back is benefiting?

10 hours ago, tjnc09 said:

Yes.  Ekeler also has stunk with 13 rushes for 28 yards in their last three games.  The OL is not generating any holes for their RBs to run.  

You couldn't be missing the point by more.

The point is that running Gordon into brick walls and constantly getting into 2nd and 10 like situations does no good for anybody. Its a waste of a play, and the Chargers are dumping a dozen or so a game doing it.

Ekeler brings so much more to the offense because of his pass catching, teams have to account for it, whether he actually gets it or not. Any defense will have a hell of a time accounting for Allen, Williams, Henry, and Ekeler. That is the way the offense can win, running Gordon is what the defense wants, because its easy to stop. Yes the o-line is in rough shape, but so is Gordon. He's not doing anything that suggests he's going to turn it around. 

Edited by travdogg
  • Like 1

Anyone trade him in dynasty lately? What's a realistic asking price with the unknown on where he'll possibly be next year?  1 first? 2 firsts? a first and second?

I just came here to say that Gordon is trash and should not have come back. The team was better without him. If he thinks he will get a big contract after this season he is nuts. 

3 minutes ago, Gottabesweet said:

Anyone trade him in dynasty lately? What's a realistic asking price with the unknown on where he'll possibly be next year?  1 first? 2 firsts? a first and second?

I would be shocked if anyone could get a 1st for him at this point in dynasty due to the question marks of where will he play, will he even get a contract with any team due to how many young RBs are out there and the way the game has changed to RBBC. I think he's a selfish player who doesn't even deserve to start on the Chargers right now. 

On 10/7/2019 at 9:40 AM, Weebs210 said:

Ekeler looked great fumbling the ball right next to the end zone 😂

Oh the irony.

• Laughing 1

1 minute ago, brewer said:

Oh the irony.

Yup. Ekeler has two fumbles lost on the goal line and Gordon has one lost.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, travdogg said:

You couldn't be missing the point by more.

The point is that running Gordon into brick walls and constantly getting into 2nd and 10 like situations does no good for anybody. Its a waste of a play, and the Chargers are dumping a dozen or so a game doing it.

Ekeler brings so much more to the offense because of his pass catching, teams have to account for it, whether he actually gets it or not. Any defense will have a hell of a time accounting for Allen, Williams, Henry, and Ekeler. That is the way the offense can win, running Gordon is what the defense wants, because its easy to stop. Yes the o-line is in rough shape, but so is Gordon. He's not doing anything that suggests he's going to turn it around. 

so they shouldn't throw the ball to a guy who has the 7th most targets and receptions of any RB in the three prior seasons  🤣🤣🤣

Edited by tjnc09
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, tjnc09 said:

so they shouldn't throw the ball to a guy who has the 7th most targets and receptions of any RB in the three prior seasons  🤣🤣🤣

That isn't really relevant. That guy isn't in the Chargers backfield right now. Gordon looks at least 2 steps slower. I don't think he's dogging it(I hope not) but his best value to the Chargers offense right now, might be as a pass blocker. 

Yes, they could throw him some passes, but hopefully that would be out of split RB sets, or with Ekeler lined up at WR. Ekeler is a FAR better pass catcher than Gordon. Hell, Ekeler might be the best pass catching RB in the NFL. 

I've always liked Gordon, but the difference in what he and Ekeler bring to the table right now is gigantic, and it highly favors Ekeler. I can't imagine how anyone could have watched the last 3 Chargers games, and come away thinking Gordon is playing even remotely decently. He's honestly looked like the worst starting RB in the NFL since he came back. He's shown no tackle breaking ability, no burst, and has completely bogged down the offense. 

• Like 2

I think people tend to forget that everyone is different.  Gordon by his own admission is not where he should be right now due to missing training camp.  Add to that the obvious issues with the offensive line and the not so quantifiable issue regarding how motivated he is due to his contract hopes, and it's quite a mess right now.

Zeke made himself a good bit more money with his holdout but I think everyone including Gordon can agree that this one hasn't worked out.

23 hours ago, tjnc09 said:

RB A plays against the 1985 Bears

RB B plays against the 2019 Dolphins

JWB thinks it's valuable to say RB B is better than RB A :lmao:

you got him....Melvin Gordon might, in fact, be as good as  Tremayne Pope...

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Gottabesweet said:

For dynasty....idk. (Speculation as I haven't done a trade with him) I feel like I'd still want a 1st. You're probably looking at a back end 1st, but I can definitely see some team signing him to use as their primary RB next year. Think a team like Tampa. If that's the case I want a 1st for him, or a very high 2nd.

3 hours ago, brewer said:

I think people tend to forget that everyone is different.  Gordon by his own admission is not where he should be right now due to missing training camp.  Add to that the obvious issues with the offensive line and the not so quantifiable issue regarding how motivated he is due to his contract hopes, and it's quite a mess right now.

Zeke made himself a good bit more money with his holdout but I think everyone including Gordon can agree that this one hasn't worked out.

This is the most worrisome IMO.

One of the studio analysts Sunday night commented that Gordon is running like a guy that is still holding out (between his ears).

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Dizzy said:

This is the most worrisome IMO.

One of the studio analysts Sunday night commented that Gordon is running like a guy that is still holding out (between his ears).

Agreed, and it seems backward to me. Like you'd think when playing for a contract, you'd be in the best shape of your life, and giving 100% every play. Potential employers next season are going to care a lot more about what Gordon looks like in 2019, than anything he did in earlier in his career.

At this point, I think his best case scenario is what Mark Ingram got. Elliott/Bell/Gurley money always was unlikely, and is impossible now. Unless Gordon really turns it around, I'm not sure  he's a lock to even get a full-time starting gig. He's Doug Martin from a couple years back right now.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, travdogg said:

That isn't really relevant. That guy isn't in the Chargers backfield right now. Gordon looks at least 2 steps slower. I don't think he's dogging it(I hope not) but his best value to the Chargers offense right now, might be as a pass blocker. 

Yes, they could throw him some passes, but hopefully that would be out of split RB sets, or with Ekeler lined up at WR. Ekeler is a FAR better pass catcher than Gordon. Hell, Ekeler might be the best pass catching RB in the NFL. 

I've always liked Gordon, but the difference in what he and Ekeler bring to the table right now is gigantic, and it highly favors Ekeler. I can't imagine how anyone could have watched the last 3 Chargers games, and come away thinking Gordon is playing even remotely decently. He's honestly looked like the worst starting RB in the NFL since he came back. He's shown no tackle breaking ability, no burst, and has completely bogged down the offense. 

Your analysis of the situation... is not good.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, tjnc09 said:

Your analysis of the situation... is not good.

I mean, what do you think is incorrect? You just keep disagreeing, or making points about Pope or the 85 Bears. What have I said that you feel is wrong?

Have you watched a Chargers game this season? Gordon being good in 2017-2018 is meaningless to what he is right now, which is as bad a starting RB in the NFL.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, travdogg said:

I mean, what do you think is incorrect? You just keep disagreeing, or making points about Pope or the 85 Bears. What have I said that you feel is wrong?

Have you watched a Chargers game this season? Gordon being good in 2017-2018 is meaningless to what he is right now, which is as bad a starting RB in the NFL.

So you think Melvin is the one to purely blame. Can't be the o-line eh?

3 minutes ago, Weebs210 said:

So you think Melvin is the one to purely blame. Can't be the o-line eh?

No, Gordon isn't the only one to blame. The o-line has been rough, but Gordon hasn't shown he can overcome it. Ekeler has, and offers an alternative to running into brick walls, via his passing game excellence. Justin Jackson also ran pretty well behind this o-line before getting hurt, its gotten a bit worse since then, but he still had success.

Why does Gordon get a pass? He's only had 1 season over 4 YPC, and even then that wasn't the highest on the team. Why is it, "Ekeler is struggling at rushing too?" Instead of, Ekeler is making plays every week, Gordon hasn't made 1 since he came back.

I think the answer is two fold: 1. Gordon isn't anywhere near the player he was a year ago. 2. The offense needs to be different then it was a year ago, and be a pass first, get the ball out quick offense. That helps the o-line, that helps Rivers, and that is something where Ekeler>>>>>>>Gordon. 

I don't have a horse in this fantasy wise, I just want to see the Chargers be a better team, and watching them aimlessly set themselves up for another 3rd and 8 because they are trying so hard to establish something that clearly isn't going to happen, is frustrating, especially when they had success early in the year, when they weren't doing that. This wasn't a matter of schedule either. They started with Colts/Lions/Texans. Likely 2 playoff teams, and another decent team. They did whatever they wanted against Indy and Houston, only the defense didn't hold up against the Texans. They haven't had a good offensive game since Gordon came back, so while I also think he's been awful, the Chargers trying to shoehorn him in, has also cost them the actual things that were working.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, travdogg said:

:lmao: yeah, comparing him to a guy who runs behind a top five OL, a guy who has an one game sample against the WORST run defense in the league (somehow looked better despite only averaging 2ypc), guys who faced easier schedules vs the run, guys who ran behind a healthier OL, ignoring two critical fumbles that cost his team two wins, ignoring that one guy has a completely different role right now, ignoring garbage time stats down two scores late in the 4th quarter (3-7 11-43; 5-14, 3-14; 5-7, 4-43 is the guy you think has been amazing lolololol), ignoring that Gordon has been a top 10 targets/receptions RB and averages nearly 9ypr, ignoring their loss of two Pro Bowl OL since last year, ignoring the injuries to their defense and the impacts on game scripts.

Your team is trash with or without Gordon.  If Gordon never returned, Ekeler would be the one averaging 12 carries for 30 yards over the past three games.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, travdogg said:

They haven't had a good offensive game since Gordon came back, so while I also think he's been awful, the Chargers trying to shoehorn him in, has also cost them the actual things that were working.

DVOA defenses of their first four games: 12, 15, 28, 32.  Healthier OL.  Only two wins against 28 and 32.

DVOA defenses of their last three games: 8, 9, 10.  Worse OL.

Why has their offense looked worse????  They looked SO GOOD against Miami.  It's such a MYSTERY?!?!?!? :mellow:

The Chargers best look is Rivers running a quick passing game offense.  Ekeler is the best fit to that.

put MG 3 on the Steelers... seems quite the opposite

On 9/26/2019 at 5:01 PM, [icon] said:

Career Stats: 

Yds/Car: Gordon: 4.0 / Ekeler 5.1

Carries/TD:  Gordon 32 / Ekeler 27

Yds/Rec: Gordon 8.7 / Ekeler 10.9 

Catch% : Gordon 74.9% / Ekeler 78.7%

Yds/Touch: Gordon 4.8 / Ekeler 6.8 

:popcorn: 

I do think it would be wise for them to get their money’s worth before letting Gordon go and handing the job to the superior back next year. 

Gordon will likely get every chance to carry the bigger slice of this shared backfield, this year. However, if Gordon reverts to his sub 4.0YPC ways, I could see Ekeler possibly taking back a larger share down the stretch. 

UPDATE for 2019:

Melvin Gordon (2019)

Yards per Carry: 2.3 (worst)
Yards per Target: 2.6 (worst)
PFF Grade: 48.1 (worst)

Austin Ekeler (2019)

Yards per Carry: 3.6
Yards per Target: 9.2 (best)
PFF Grade: 85.3 (4th-best)

-Scott Barrett

I am SHOCKED! SHOCKED I TELL YOU! :lol: 

Edited by [icon]

40 minutes ago, [icon] said:

UPDATE for 2019:

Melvin Gordon (2019)

Austin Ekeler (2019)

-Scott Barrett

Yikes even with their soft start and healthy line early in the season he's not over 4.

29 minutes ago, [icon] said:

UPDATE for 2019:

Melvin Gordon (2019)

Austin Ekeler (2019)

-Scott Barrett

Here is the numbers that actually matter

Week5

MG.  12  carries   31yards          2.6 ypc

AE. 3  carries    7 yards.           2.3 ypc

Week 6

MG.   8        18 yards.     2.3 ypc

AE   5.          14 yards.       2.8 ypc

Week7

MG.  16.       32 yards.     2 ypc

AE.   5.          7 yards.    1.4 ypc

What does this tell you clearly. Melvin is the better back due to ypc and total yards.  Or common sense tells you they've had injuries on the OL and now they're one of the worst OL since Melvin's return.   It's a situation to avoid but people who think Austin is better is laughable, when clearly the numbers don't show it.  

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Weebs210 said:

Yikes even with their soft start and healthy line early in the season he's not over 4.

That is a very telling stat and shows truly how bad Austin is as a runner.  People who think he is better than Melvin are delusional and the numbers clearly don't show it.

Edited by bucksoh
  • Like 1

56 minutes ago, bucksoh said:

Week5

Week 6

Week7

What does this tell you clearly. Melvin is the better back due to ypc and total yards.  Or common sense tells you they've had injuries on the OL and now they're one of the worst OL since Melvin's return.   It's a situation to avoid but people who think Austin is better is laughable, when clearly the numbers don't show it.  

I didn't even know averaging less than 2 ypc in a game was possible.

Edited by Weebs210
  • Like 1

53 minutes ago, bucksoh said:

Week5

Week 6

Week7

Only taking rushing into account does not tell the whole story for any RB in 2019. Any top tier RB would need to be able to do both. I would say both LAC RBs are decent and playing behind a poor line right now, but Gordon has looked worse due to less receiving production as well as just looking like he has lost a step, most likely this is due to his holdout or attitude due to the holdout not getting the result he wanted. 

Receiving

Week 5

MG - 6 targets    4 rec    7 yards    1.75 ypc

AE - 16 targets    15 rec    86 yards    5.73 ypc

Week 6

MG - 4 targets    3 rec    30 yards    10 ypc

AE - 4 targets    3 rec    14 yards    4.6 ypc

Week 7

MG - 3 targets    2 rec    -3 yards    -1.5 ypc

AE - 8 targets    7 rec    118 yards    16.85 ypc

• Like 1

I didn't include receiving yards because icon didn't.

But for their careers it is less than a yard avg.  Between the two.   And Gordon has more tds every year except this year.   And when you factor in that usually the backups have a higher ypc, ypr.  Due to playing against a softened defense.  One yard per reception isn't overwhelming for me.  If anything it tells me Melvin isn't being used right.

3 hours ago, bucksoh said:

I didn't include receiving yards because icon didn't.

Wrong. Go back and look at my post. I quoted myself from earlier this year for a reason. Barrett didn’t include passing in his tweet I was quoting, but as stated just above, Ekeler is crushing Gordon in that this year as well. 

Stats can be twisted but here are two facts: 

Ekeler has outscored Gordon by more than double In PPR since Gordon has returned... and trouncing him 22.8 to 8.3 in fPPG. 

Ekeler is worth start in fantasy. Gordon is not, and is borderline droppable In many leagues . 

Any of you Gordon truthers starting him this week in 10/12T PPR leagues? Of course you’re not. Nuffced. 

Edited by [icon]
  • Like 1

45 minutes ago, [icon] said:

Wrong. Go back and look at my post. I quoted myself from earlier this year for a reason. Barrett didn’t include passing in his tweet I was quoting, but as stated just above, Ekeler is crushing Gordon in that this year as well. 

Stats can be twisted but here are two facts: 

Ekeler has outscored Gordon by more than double In PPR since Gordon has returned... and trouncing him 22.8 to 8.3 in fPPG. 

Ekeler is worth start in fantasy. Gordon is not, and is borderline droppable In many leagues . 

Any of you Gordon truthers starting him this week in 10/12T PPR leagues? Of course you’re not. Nuffced. 

😂

49 minutes ago, [icon] said:

WTF is Nuffced?

Is that an even cooler way of saying 'nuff said?

38 minutes ago, Weebs210 said:

Enough with the Ekeler owner circle jerk. Here is some real news that will benefit Gordon this week. 

https://mobile.twitter.com/mysportsupdate/status/1187075693961723904?s=21

#Chargers HC Anthony Lynn said LT Russell Okung (pulmonary embolism) will play Sunday vs. Chicago. Positive development

No doubt having starting Tackles is better than them being OUT. 

-When I look at OL injuries, I typically down grade the passing when a starting LT is OUT, RT imact as well but most QBs are right handed and can see the rush coming vs their blind side. These Tackles obviously help a lot in the run game when sweeps and Off Tackles are called. 

-When a Center is OUT like Pouncey it really hampers the running game. LG-RG impact there as well. SO when I am reading that both Center or Guard is OUT I downgrade the run more than the pass and vice versa for the Tackles. 

That's my feelings about it but they all have an impact to both the pass and run. 

On 10/27/2019 at 8:13 PM, Weebs210 said:

There we go!

"..... not so much" ~ Kevin Whisenhunt

I like the Whiz, but really he should have been fired for the way he handled the end of that TEN game forcing the offense through Gordon. It was really a tire fire. 

If Whisenhunt ends up landing someplace and that team also acquires Gordon it would be worth monitoring. Whiz has always given Gordon a GIANT workload(which is why people think he's so talented in the first place).

13 minutes ago, BoltBacker said:

I like the Whiz, but really he should have been fired for the way he handled the end of that TEN game forcing the offense through Gordon. It was really a tire fire. 

If Whisenhunt ends up landing someplace and that team also acquires Gordon it would be worth monitoring. Whiz has always given Gordon a GIANT workload(which is why people think he's so talented in the first place).

In case you missed it. The head coach loves Gordon. Good luck with your ekeler usage. 

24 minutes ago, BoltBacker said:

I think Whis has been doing what Lynn wants in terms of forcing the ball to Gordon. I do think Whis deserved to be fired, but I'm not particularly optimistic that the offensive playcalling will improve. Okung just returned, though, and that should have positive impact for sure.

11 minutes ago, Weebs210 said:

In case you missed it. The head coach loves Gordon. Good luck with your ekeler usage. 

We get it.....you own Gordon.  He's not very good so far this year, and the offense is better with Ekeler in the backfield.  That's what's factual here.

• Love 1

22 minutes ago, Weebs210 said:

I don't have either one on any of my rosters. When I looked at the chargers OL going into this season it looked pretty awful. It wasn't a shock to me at all.

32 minutes ago, Shawnky said:

We get it.....you own Gordon.  He's not very good so far this year, and the offense is better with Ekeler in the backfield.  That's what's factual here.

We get it....you own Ekeler. I'll admit ekeler looks better in the receiving role but looks atrocious running the ball. That's why Gordon gets get rushes and Ekeler gets the passing down work.

• Laughing 1

1 minute ago, Weebs210 said:

We get it....you own Ekeler. I'll admit ekeler looks better in the receiving role but looks atrocious running the ball. That's why Gordon gets get rushes and Ekeler gets the passing down work.

But that's the thing.....I'm not an owner.  Just  tired of your whining, and also aware of Ekeler's production/all purpose yards on the season.  Gordon flat out sucks rushing and receiving.

Edited by Shawnky
  • Like 1
  • Laughing 1

Just now, Shawnky said:

But that's the thing.....I'm not an owner.  Just  tired of your whining.

So you decided to come in and cry about it?

Just now, Weebs210 said:

So you decided to come in and cry about it?

Evidence of me crying?

1 minute ago, Shawnky said:

But that's the thing.....I'm not an owner.  Just  tired of your whining.

Agreed, if anything negative about Gordon is said in this thread, they are immediately met with, "good luck with Ekeler"

It's tiring.

• Like 1