What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

What supplements do you take daily? (1 Viewer)

Mad Cow

Welshers and Dawdlers Beware!
I am now in the throes of the 40's, and a, realizing more and more that I should be taking things to help keep up my health.

I have been running consistently 4-6 times a week for 15-16 years now, and the knees take longer to heal, so just started taking glucosamine.

I have been taking fish oil for a few years and it is fantastic for overall health - great cardiac benefits, but also helps a lot with eyes and dryness. I talk about this one a lot with patients.

I also am taking a general multi-vitamin and a D3.

I have never been on any meds other than an occasional antibiotic, so my overall health has been good and I just want to keep it that way.

I am sure it was taking all those pills this morning that let me know how expensive my urine will be from now on, but I am hoping to see some benefits.

What else should we consider? Any other FBG's evaluating this?

Daily no matter what

D3

Gluco/Controtin (Couldn't get out of bed without this stuff)

Often, but not daily, in a blend with smoothie for pre-workout

AlphaLinolicAcid (spelling)

MagnesiumSulfate

Whey

creatine monohydrate

beta alanine

Omega 3

Iron - unless I eat hamburgers or some kind of meat.

Not sure why my iron began to get lower. I donate blood and noticed my iron levels near the "can't donate" line and went in a couple times when it was too low to donate. After a few months of not trying to donate, I took iron for 2-3 straight weeks and went I went to donate, my levels were above 15. (Under 12.5 you can't donate) So, now, I take an iron pill 4-5 times a week.

Morning:

Multi-vitamin

Vitamin C

Fish oil

SAM-E - works better for me than Glucosamine for joint health (basketball knees :( )

Night:

Baby aspirin

SAM-E

Melatonin (purely as a sleep aid, don't start taking it regularly until you find you reallly need it; you don't want your body to slow its natural production of melatonin ahead of when it naturally happens due to age).

Multi-vitamin (morning)

Whey protein (post workout, unless late night workout, then daytime)

Casein protein (always before bed)

Branch chain amino acids (pre workout)

creatine (post workout)
Some pain in my back, plus a vacation so I haven't been in the gym in a week and a half, but very similar, I added the timing too.

Also, add in omega 3.

Intrigued by this thread. Right now I take no supplements. 52. Bloodwork is good except for my vitamin D is low (work too much, need to golf more). So I know I need a D supplement. Thinking general multi. I know I should be taking fish oil and glucosamine too. Don't know why I'm fighting it. Just seems like a hassle.

OptiZinc

ACV

Any fish oil brand recommendations?
The biggest suggestion on that is just don't choose the cheap ones, or you will end up with the fish burps.
I usually get the cheaper fish oil pills (depends on the nutritional stats) and never get fish burps. If you're getting them, you might have other issues in your diet (too much soda, beer, etc.).

Multi-vitamin

Whey protein

Casein protein

Branch chain amino acids

creatine
Only when bulking? I've thought about casein a few times, but I'm always worried about adding as much gut as I do muscle. I know it digests slow and that's why you take it before sleep, but would you ever take this while cutting?

ETA: For protein I make my own shakes composed of hemp powder, milk, plain (no sugar added) Greek yogurt, a little honey, and a banana. The taste is.....tolerable. The price and protein is great.

Last edited by a moderator:
I take this supplement called Animal Pak. Pee is florescent green.
I used to take these too. Then I skipped a month and saw absolutely no difference in energy or gains in the gym. Pretty sure it's a waste of $$.

Multi-vitamin

Whey protein

Casein protein

Branch chain amino acids

creatine
Only when bulking? I've thought about casein a few times, but I'm always worried about adding as much gut as I do muscle. I know it digests slow and that's why you take it before sleep, but would you ever take this while cutting?
Of course. You want to keep your metabolism raised and having your body not go into starvation mode is key to that.

Thus a slow digesting casein is good before sleep whether you build muscle or burn fat. Re: the gut - protein doesn't get stored as fat.

I take this supplement called Animal Pak. Pee is florescent green.
I used to take these too. Then I skipped a month and saw absolutely no difference in energy or gains in the gym. Pretty sure it's a waste of $$.
Maybe so. But they have most of the stuff that other supplements have so at least you're getting that. I think I spend $25 for a 40 day supply. Is that way more than these others cost?

I have battled depression on and off over the years to the point where these past few months have been the darkest I can remember. I started reading The Depression Cure. I am not all the way through it yet but it is a great read. The very first "step" it mentions is omega-3 fish oil and the benefits for overall health, including battling depression.

I highly recommend this book even if depression is not on your radar. I extra high really super really recommend omega-3 fish oil for everyone.

Great thread Mr. cow.

OptiZinc

ACV

Any fish oil brand recommendations?
The biggest suggestion on that is just don't choose the cheap ones, or you will end up with the fish burps.
I'd go Nordic naturals or get a high dosed krill oil.
Biggest thing I look for is a high ratio of omega 3s (DHA, EPA) to actual fish oil. One I have now is 1,000 mg total DHA + EPA to ~1350 mg total fish oil. I've seen ratios as low as 350 mg Omega 3s to 1500 mg total fish oil in stores.

Multi-vitamin

Whey protein

Casein protein

Branch chain amino acids

creatine

ETA: For protein I make my own shakes composed of hemp powder, milk, plain (no sugar added) Greek yogurt, a little honey, and a banana. The taste is.....tolerable. The price and protein is great.
Casein is not for bulking. It can be used for cutting, it is very lean so it will not add fat. Doing a weight gainer before bed is for bulking.Eta your homemade shake before bed is more likely to add fight based on the simple carbs.

Curious as to those that also take glucosamine and/or chondroitin - did you notice a difference in how you felt with activity and how long did it take to feel it? I am just starting and hoping to feel some help or easier recovery from runs within a few weeks, but know they also say 6 weeks is when you should feel it. If not, it won't help.

Curious as to those that also take glucosamine and/or chondroitin - did you notice a difference in how you felt with activity and how long did it take to feel it? I am just starting and hoping to feel some help or easier recovery from runs within a few weeks, but know they also say 6 weeks is when you should feel it. If not, it won't help.
It's gonna vary a lot person to person. Not sure this helps, but if I run out of it in about a week I'm in bad shape and it takes about another week to feel ok after getting restocked.

Just buy cissus. Your welcome.

cissus ultimately fades in effectiveness (in most people) I've heard.

cissus ultimately fades in effectiveness (in most people) I've heard.
I haven't noticed that yet,although its possible. Although for me it worked way better than gluc/chond for my knees/neck(kept straining my neck in the gym).

I have a corollary to this now that I am a recent omega 3 convert. Do you give your kids fish oil or any other types of supplements?

Multi-vitamin

Whey protein

Casein protein

Branch chain amino acids

creatine

Casein is not for bulking. It can be used for cutting, it is very lean so it will not add fat. Doing a weight gainer before bed is for bulking.Eta your homemade shake before bed is more likely to add fight based on the simple carbs.
I don't drink that homemade shake before bed. It's an afternoon or morning thing. Just protein sup.

Users who are viewing this thread