What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Official Ameer Abdullah - The Bandwagon (2 Viewers)

Abdullah doesn't seem to have those tree trunk legs like Rice and Drew. Maybe I haven't seen enough?
Nor does Jamaal Charles.
Jamaal has tremendous vision, gets low is more flexible in the hips (yeah here we go) and wins in tight spaces. We've seen him do it for several years. It's amazing how much leverage Charles is able to play with given his size. It's not safe to assume this will be the case for Ameer, or any smaller RB for that matter.
Abdullah has been noted as having many of those same attributes from NFL scouts.

Last edited by a moderator:
This hype is getting out of hand, especially for re-draft leagues.

He's very quick and looked great on that big run, but 3rd round pick???

It's more than likely going to be full blown RBBC this season.
Absolutely, think Saints backfield. Bell is Ingram and AA is Spiller.
Lol Saints won't be anywhere near an RBBC
No? Who are you projecting as the RB to own in New Orleans then?

Abdullah doesn't seem to have those tree trunk legs like Rice and Drew.
Nor does Jamaal Charles.
I've seen him compared, body wise, to Rice and Drew in here. Never Charles.
My point is it isn't about some magic legs. Some guys are more prone to injury. Yes, sometimes due to an upright running style, or somebody that looks for contact. If somebody is built like Todd Pinkston then obviously that is a red flag. But ultimately, you need to watch them play and make your own judgements.

I wouldn't look at Ray Rice as a negative example. He lasted through enough seasons to not blame his body size. It is more about distribution of touches over a season. That can affect anybody.

College fumbles are the biggest concern for me at this point. Everything else looks cute other than the quickly rising ADP.
Yeah, I just read that he fumbled once every 35 touches in college. This was the highest rate of the rookie class. Hope it's not an issue for him.

Abdullah doesn't seem to have those tree trunk legs like Rice and Drew. Maybe I haven't seen enough?
Ameer is practically a mirror image of Ray Rice body wise and Ameer adds uber elite metrics save his 40 time. He's not quite as tree-trunky as Jones-Drew though but at 5-9 and 205, he's certainly not small.

2011-2012 6 Fumbles 3 Lost 84 Touches Fumble Rate = 14

2012-2013 8 Fumbles 6 Lost 283 Touches Fumble Rate = 35.375

2013-2014 5 Fumbles 5 Lost 311 Touches Fumble Rate = 62.2

2014-2015 4 Fumbles 2 Lost 300 Touches Fumble Rate = 75

I used carries, receptions, KR, and PR to calculate total Touches.

Looks like bootster21 is correct. He has improved dramatically over his 4yr college career.
College fumbles are the biggest concern for me at this point. Everything else looks cute other than the quickly rising ADP.
Yeah, I just read that he fumbled once every 35 touches in college. This was the highest rate of the rookie class. Hope it's not an issue for him.
See the attached reply from up-thread. It was one year that skewed his fumbles, and he improved every year in college.

Aren't they always a RBBC? Last year Ingram got 51% of the RB touches. Sure he was hurt, but he only missed 3 games. Thomas and Robinson combined missed 11 games. Ingram's touches were inflated by the injuries to those guys. Particularly because in the middle of the year, Thomas and Robinson had overlapping injuries where they both were out. There were 5 weeks that Ingram got 20+ touches (25,31,30, 30, 25). Those 5 games make-up 55% of his touches for the year despite only representing 38% of his season. 4 of those 5 games also came during that period when Thomas and Robinson were out.

Week 1: Ingram 14 touches, Thomas 13 touches, Robinson 6 touches

Week 2: Ingram 14 touches, Robinson 8 touches, Thomas 6 touches

Week 3: Ingram 12 touches, Thomas 10 touches, Robinson 3 touches

Week 8: Robinson and Thomas were out, Ingram 25 touches

Week 9: Robinson and Thomas were out, Ingram 31 touches

Week 10: Robinson and Thomas were out, Ingram 30 touches

Week 11: Robinson and Thomas were out, Ingram 30 touches

Week 12: Robinson was out, Ingram 13 touches, Thomas 11 touches

Week 13: Robinson was out, Ingram 25 touches, Thomas 5 touches

Week 14: Robinson was out, Ingram 15 touches, Thomas 9 touches

Week 15: Ingram 17 touches, Thomas 7 touches, Robinson 5 touches

Week 16: Thomas was hurt and left the game in Q2, Ingram 16 touches, Robinson 3 touches

Week 17: Thomas was out, Ingram 16 touches, Robinson 9 touches

That looks like it was RBBC to me. Spiller takes the role of Thomas. Robinson is still there.

Fyi, Emmitt Smith was 5-9, 199 lbs as a rookie and ran a 4.7 40 and is in the conversation as GOAT. He was one of the most durable RBs as well.

As a Husker fan, he was the team on offense and everyone knew it. The QB was inaccurate. AA played each game with passion and fought for every yard. He stretched out and would wiggle for that extra yard. Sometimes he fumbled doing it but it was because he was the only guy who seemed like he wanted it more than everyone else. His squats were unreal and has real leg power with balance. The OC would take him out a lot in in goalline situations in favor of 225# Imani Cross. Cross would get stuffed because he couldn't overcome the OL lack of fundamentals, and many fans would say just leave AA in the game.. I think most fans felt AA gave NU the best chance to score (Kenny Bell second). NU never seemed to dump it off to AA in the flat. My guess is the Lions are going to at least try to get him in space and thats where he will excel...in the PPR leagues.

IF AA had played with competent coaches, I do not think most people would question what kind of a player he is. If he had a real OLine, he might have been a serious heisman contender. Many of his fumbles were trying to make the extra play and overcome the lackluster play calling. Im all in on him.

Ameer is practically a mirror image of Ray Rice body wise and Ameer adds uber elite metrics save his 40 time. He's not quite as tree-trunky as Jones-Drew though but at 5-9 and 205, he's certainly not small.
Yeah he's pretty put together.

http://cache3.asset-cache.net/gc/464086888-running-back-ameer-abdullah-of-nebraska-in-gettyimages.jpg?v=1&c=IWSAsset&k=2&d=GkZZ8bf5zL1ZiijUmxa7QSKVlERQI1oLo96%2B1v7Eyg4vz6tiXRhCCgunh6oEFZ%2BHwQ5m4M6SwbLNHjrDr4QAZg%3D%3D

It's the Ingram show this year. At least until he gets dinged.

Entering his ninth season, and after signing two RB's to pretty much identical contracts in the offseason, THIS is going to be the first year Payton runs anything but a RBBC? Wake up.

Entering his ninth season, and after signing two RB's to pretty much identical contracts in the offseason, THIS is going to be the first year Payton runs anything but a RBBC? Wake up.
You'll see.

You might be right. I've drafted Spiller in a couple leagues but his quietness in camp has me worried. Plus, there's that quote that Brees made this week, something to the effect of 'people aren't giving Ingram enough credit for his receiving ability'. I think he was asked about Spiller's potential and he basically brushed it off and talked up Ingram's ability as a receiver. Could be posturing or could be truth. I know that I'll probably pump the breaks on drafting Spiller in round 4-5 until he starts showing something in preseason.

Yeah he's pretty put together.

http://cache3.asset-cache.net/gc/464086888-running-back-ameer-abdullah-of-nebraska-in-gettyimages.jpg?v=1&c=IWSAsset&k=2&d=GkZZ8bf5zL1ZiijUmxa7QSKVlERQI1oLo96%2B1v7Eyg4vz6tiXRhCCgunh6oEFZ%2BHwQ5m4M6SwbLNHjrDr4QAZg%3D%3D
Beware, this is going to get weird (pictures of shirtless men in under armor running 40's / ESPN body issue to follow / probably don't open these at work if you don't want weird stares):

If we're going to evaluate their body types, I'd agree that Ameer is "thinner" in the legs than Rice and MJD (link removed). While they're around the same height and weight, those guys had visibly higher body fat than Ameer. I'd wager that higher muscle mass per lb compared to Rice and MJD had a lot to do with how much better he scored nearly across the board in agility and jumping drills at the combine:

MJD:

• 36" vert
  • 7.08 3 cone
  • 4.41 short shuttle
  • 18 BP
  • 116" broad jump
Rice:

• 31.5" vert
  • 6.65 3 cone
  • 4.2 short shuttle
  • 23 BP
  • 119" broad jump
Ameer:

• 42.5" vert
  • 6.79 3 cone
  • 3.95 short shuttle
  • 24 BP
  • 130" broad jump

Yeah, that got weird. I'm all for comparing Tavon Austin's skinny legs to Percy Harvin or what not, but that's an underwear ad.

I for one never thought there was any usefulness to the MJD/Rice comps. Those dudes are mini-power backs (well, not so much Rice but MJD). Abdullah looks more like a young Reggie Bush in terms of cutting and size, but much more decisive as a runner.

Excuse me? What about last year?

The 13 games Ingram played...

29 carries Khry

31 carries Pierre

226 carries Ingram. 79% of the carries.

Excuse me? What about last year?

The 13 games Ingram played...

29 carries Khry

31 carries Pierre

To be fair, those guys both missed a good chunk of time in those games. Ingram's percentage wasn't nearly as high when they played.

Excuse me? What about last year?The 13 games Ingram played...

29 carries Khry

31 carries Pierre

To be fair, those guys both missed a good chunk of time in those games. Ingram's percentage wasn't nearly as high when they played.
I think my post earlier addressed the breakdown of touches pretty well. The bulk of those carries came when Thomas and Robinson were out.

Excuse me? What about last year?The 13 games Ingram played...

29 carries Khry

31 carries Pierre

I think my post earlier addressed the breakdown of touches pretty well. The bulk of those carries came when Thomas and Robinson were out.
Your post said touches, not carries. Can you give us a % breakdown of rushing carries?

Rhythmdoctor said:
Yeah he's pretty put together.http://cache3.asset-cache.net/gc/464086888-running-back-ameer-abdullah-of-nebraska-in-gettyimages.jpg?v=1&c=IWSAsset&k=2&d=GkZZ8bf5zL1ZiijUmxa7QSKVlERQI1oLo96%2B1v7Eyg4vz6tiXRhCCgunh6oEFZ%2BHwQ5m4M6SwbLNHjrDr4QAZg%3D%3D
Beware, this is going to get weird (pictures of shirtless men in under armor running 40's / ESPN body issue to follow / probably don't open these at work if you don't want weird stares):

If we're going to evaluate their body types, I'd agree that Ameer is "thinner" in the legs than Rice and MJD. While they're around the same height and weight, those guys had visibly higher body fat than Ameer. I'd wager that higher muscle mass per lb compared to Rice and MJD had a lot to do with how much better he scored nearly across the board in agility and jumping drills at the combine:

MJD:

• 36" vert
  • 7.08 3 cone
  • 4.41 short shuttle
  • 18 BP
  • 116" broad jump
Rice:
  • 31.5" vert
  • 6.65 3 cone
  • 4.2 short shuttle
  • 23 BP
  • 119" broad jump
Ameer:
  • 42.5" vert
  • 6.79 3 cone
  • 3.95 short shuttle
  • 24 BP
  • 130" broad jump
The shot of MJD shows your boldness and I can see Ameer's glans clear as day. Yeah, it got weird.
Well, I did warn people. Here's some Ameer Abdullah girlfriend as a mea culpa: http://blacksportsonline.com/home/wp-content/uploads/2015/02/Ameer-Abdullah-Georgia-Ellenwood-5.png

As a Husker fan, he was the team on offense and everyone knew it. The QB was inaccurate. AA played each game with passion and fought for every yard. He stretched out and would wiggle for that extra yard. Sometimes he fumbled doing it but it was because he was the only guy who seemed like he wanted it more than everyone else. His squats were unreal and has real leg power with balance. The OC would take him out a lot in in goalline situations in favor of 225# Imani Cross. Cross would get stuffed because he couldn't overcome the OL lack of fundamentals, and many fans would say just leave AA in the game.. I think most fans felt AA gave NU the best chance to score (Kenny Bell second). NU never seemed to dump it off to AA in the flat. My guess is the Lions are going to at least try to get him in space and thats where he will excel...in the PPR leagues.

IF AA had played with competent coaches, I do not think most people would question what kind of a player he is. If he had a real OLine, he might have been a serious heisman contender. Many of his fumbles were trying to make the extra play and overcome the lackluster play calling. Im all in on him.
Nevermind all of that nonsense. The important thing here is that I found a bigger version of your avatar!

You may be right... who gets the start in week 2?

RBBC with Spiller in Sproles role.

can we end the Saints RB discussion in the Ameer thread?

sheesh
As it happens, it's not entirely irrelevant, since Payton's historical (and current) usage of his RB's is going to mirror Detroit's, insofar as Payton and Lombardi run essentially the same system. What we can learn from either, we can apply to the other to a substantial extent. One could easily draw sketchy conclusions about the reliance on a single back from last year's relatively heavy workload from Bell. When both guys were healthy, the DET situation was New Orleansishly RBBC.

sheesh
People think its relevant due to Saints system that Lombardi runs in Detroit.

sheesh
Yeah I get it, just started to sidetrack the thread.

sheesh

sheesh
Yeah I get it, just started to sidetrack the thread.
i love Merica

You're not wrong on the look. He was lifter of the year twice at Nebraska. He may get overhyped for fantasy purposes, but for real football, I think Lyons fans should be happy.

Users who are viewing this thread